Start by marking “At Night” as Want to Read:
At Night

At Night

The poems concern themselves with what happens at night.
Published April 14th 2015 by Black Ocean

To ask other readers questions about At Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about At Night

Start your review of At Night
Kevin
Sep 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes you read a book at the precise right time and I think that's the case with this book and me. Ciccarello's debut feels like a swooping, diving book-length poem--like those Swift birds at Chapman Elementary School that dance and plummet into their chimney every night, every fall--and its melancholy hit me just right on this cooling September evening.
The weight of this work is mesmerizing and heartbreaking as it details the darkness of the heart, the night, and the hidden body. A small, s
Joshua Nolan
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was an odd yet strangely compelling chapbook. Flighty chant poems and surreal images paint this vivid nightscape. You can feel the recurring themes as each poem flows into one another with a power that bleeds from the page.

The images mingle from poem to poem. While the symbolism tries to veer from cliche the problem is in their oblique relationships. The reader might struggle to ascertain complex metaphors with variously changing symbols. Powerful surrealism is able to capture that. At Nigh
Lauren
May 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Lisa has been inspiring my writing for years, every since we were students in MFA-land together. I love the universe she has created in At Night. The dead are always outside and can only be kept at bay by ringing our windowsills with salt. Punishment abounds in At Night, but mercy is scarce to be found. Lisa's short, declarative sentences create a lulling invocation as you roll through her prose poems. Patterns emerge and devolve inside of repetitions. You'll close the book on the final poem fee ...more
Leah
Aug 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
LOVED this. Read it in one sitting...mesmerizing
Lara
Aug 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
I would like to reread this book in one sitting, alone at midnight. A lot of it felt very much like reading the first description of magic usage in a fantasy novel, while you are first being introduced to the rules of the universe but don't quite understand them yet, and a lot felt like I was reading something from the same universe as The Handmaid's Tale. I shouldn't have tried to read this on public transportation because it probably needed my undivided attention, so a rereading is necessary.
Jordan Brown
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
These odd, unsettling poems are best whispered to oneself at night.
Tracy
Nov 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I've loved Lisa Ciccarello's work for a few years. Ink Press Productions had the privilege of publishing her microchapbook, "Chief!"

Ciccarello uses repetition to pull you into the beautiful nightmare - painting an interior emotional landscape. When I read Ciccarello, I oscillate between fearing the speaker and fearing for the speaker. This is what it's like to be a woman in today's world, but this book is not of this world.

If you've read Alice Notley's CLOSE TO ME & CLOSER, the dreamlike effect
Nicole
May 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Overall, it's not bad. It's an eerie, horroresque poetry book. There are some good lines, a few good poems, and one really great piece. What's interesting is the inspiration for most of these were drawn from a book entitled Newgate Calendar, true crime stories. You can see that in the poems. I don't know if I would've picked it up, had it not been for the really awesome cover. If you like poetry and eerie scary things, I say give it go. Personally, it wasn't bad but nothing that I feel like was ...more
Ben G
Aug 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
Not sure if it's a debut, but feels very young in its themes. Style is very current, and, like so many book-length poetry today, is bound by an imagined land and the crimes that men do in that land - which is, of course, our land. Enjoyed it - looking forward to what Ciccarello writes two or three books from now.
Geoff Munsterman
Jun 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Read preferably in one sitting, preferably with wine and or whiskey. A dazzler of a book, your heart will tremble from one page to the next.

Feels like a totem or an artifact found in a junk shop window. Dusty and prized.

Study all its grooves and edges. You'll thank yourself.
Allison
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Oh, yes. This. This book hooks something in me just like Emily hooks something in me. Love, love, love it.
May 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Jun 02, 2020
« previous 1 3 next »

• Beloved
  • Song of Solomon
  • Hex Hall (Hex Hall, #1)
  • In Other Words
  • The Rise of Kyoshi (The Kyoshi Novels, #1)
  • Vampires in the Lemon Grove
  • L'Aventure des langues en Occident
  • Near to the Wild Heart
  • The Heart: Frida Kahlo in Paris
  • The Stream of Life
  • It's Trevor Noah: Born a Crime: Stories from a South African Childhood (Adapted for Young Readers)
  • Dear Ijeawele, or a Feminist Manifesto in Fifteen Suggestions
  • Lambeaux
  • La Place
  • Deposition: Poems
  • Blood Lyrics: Poems
  • Spark Joy: An Illustrated Master Class on the Art of Organizing and Tidying Up
  • Self-Portrait in Green
Lisa Ciccarello is the author of At Night (Black Ocean, 2015), a book of dark & sharp poems set in a landscape of magic.
She loves little projects & the intersection of text arts & digital spaces, so in addition to writing nine chapbooks, some of which appeared as interactive experiences, or spoken word albums, she's also created poem gifs, a click-to-survive app game, & twitter bots.
Her poems have