Start by marking “The Game Changer: A Memoir of Disruptive Love” as Want to Read:
The Game Changer: A Memoir of Disruptive Love

The Game Changer: A Memoir of Disruptive Love

To make an open marriage work, Franklin and Celeste knew they needed to make sure no one else ever came between them. That meant there had to be rules. No overnights, no falling in love, and either one of them could ask the other to end an outside relationship if it became too much to deal with. It worked for nearly two decades—and their relentless focus on their own relat ...more
Published September 23rd 2015 by Thorntree Press

To ask other readers questions about The Game Changer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Game Changer

Start your review of The Game Changer: A Memoir of Disruptive Love
Michón Neal
Jul 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Though it's very well-written and Franklin Veaux is a fantastic and quirky individual, I didn't gain much of anything from reading this book. I felt it was a bit of a let down. The game changing relationship only featured for a moment and it didn't strike me as particularly life-changing. Perhaps this is because I'm one of those natural game changers so it's harder for me to understand how others take years to figure these lessons out.

While this may be a good memoir of the early days of middle-
Annabeth Leong
Jan 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read this book because More Than Two, by Franklin Veaux and Eve Rickert, is my favorite polyamory how-to guide. It has an ethical stance that I really respect and have learned a lot from, and I wanted to hear more about the relationships that had helped Franklin Veaux arrive at that viewpoint.

To a reader of More Than Two, most of the people who appear in this book will be familiar. I felt like I knew most of the story in outline already from the descriptions given in the other book
Jul 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Louisa Leontiades

I'm so lucky in so many ways. That I am born in a progressive developed country. That I've been able to have children I wanted. That my life is abundant. And lucky, that others like Franklin Veaux have paved the way for my plural Franklin Veauxrelationship choices on 'new trails through a trackless wilderness.'

I haven't escaped pain in my life, nor would I want to, because pain I've discovered presents a hidden path for growth, to a land where you discover new horizons and limitless possibilities. But as those of us who pracwilderness.'

I

Eduardo Santiago
Oct 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Uncomfortably voyeuristic. I had to keep reminding myself that Veaux is a writer I trust, and that he must know what he's doing, but in the end I'm not so sure. The people he writes about are real. How do they feel about his portrayals of them?

I'm not sure this book was necessary. More Than Two was beautiful and noble, and I thought it stood on its own. Now I feel like part of it has been eroded.
Isaac Cross
May 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poly
Full review at xcbdsm.com/gamechanger

The Short Version
“More than anything, I craved being understood.” (Page 134)

I finished reading the book less than 24 hours after I received it. It is a compelling story about a fascinating individual. So at its core, it fulfills the requirements of a good auto-biography. Beyond that, it is well-written and structured in a way that gives the reader a great sense of the passage of time and the growth of the individuals across the years. The author successfully portrays both his old and new/>“More/>The
João Martins
Jun 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poly-books
This is loosely to More Than Two what The Husband Swap (by Louisa Leontiades) was to its Companion Book: the story of how the author's polyamorous beliefs came to be.

I'll try to keep this without spoilers. This is a pretty short story of the beautiful and terrible things that happened throughout the author's first marriage, which led to the fairly radical idea that, when in a romantic relationship, one person does not own another and is not responsible for setting limits on their beh
Victoria
Apr 15, 2016 rated it liked it
I read The Game Changer for book club. It was a pretty quick read, not too deep and not too many pages. The book was not what I expected at all. I thought it'd be about one relationship that changed it all for Franklin Veaux. I imagined that Franklin had been in poly relationships for a long time and that this one, whatever it was, happened to be different enough to shift the way he shapes relationships forever.

I was partly right. There was a relationship that changed them all for hi
Kirstyn
Oct 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Full review here http://www.thelastchancetosee.com/201...

The takeaway from The Game Changer shouldn't be that polyamory is bad, or good. It shouldn't be that everyone needs to go and find three boyfriends or girlfriends right now, or that we need to go give up all hope of ever finding a perfect romance. The takeaway should be that whatever type of relationship is right for you, know that it is going to be challenging. It will require work. It will require you to be aware of people around you, because your actions will affect
Chaundra
Jun 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: relationships
I didn't write a review when I originally read this book back in 2016, but I rated it 4 stars and as I was building an unexpected, intense relationship with a new partner at the time, it really resonated.

However,many of the key women in this book have recently (2019) come out with a very different perspective that has totally changed my view. I would encourage anyone who reads this book to also read their perspective and decide for yourself.

Adam
Nov 14, 2018 rated it did not like it
So many issues here.
Jai
Mar 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
The author, Franklin Veaux, is the grandfather of modern polyamory in my opinion. His memoir highlighted all his struggles with navigating non monogamous relationships when there was no such thing. He made errors that I'm grateful for, sad to say. Those errors made it a lesson on how to treat your partners ethically and with compassion along with not losing who you were ultimately.
His wife Celeste, was a classic example of someone who had a lot of insecurities about herself. Later on in the boo
Topher Ritchie
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I could not stop reading it!

I didn't know what to expect when I started this book. After the first chapter, I was captivated. Franklin Veaux's coming of age story of how a socially awkward boy became a man who finally said goodbye to fear in his romantic relationships is as compelling as it is quirky.
Misty Albaugh
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
The subject of polyamory came up a few weeks ago over drinks with friends. We’ve seen shows like Sister Wives, but that’s on a whole different level of polygamy. I got curious & looked up the name for the type on non monogamous relationship I was thinking about & then bought the two best books related to it on Amazon.
I am very open to a lot of things, and firmly believe, to each his own. What makes one person happy isn’t what will make another. I enjoyed reading this book. I find it in
Emi
Feb 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
It was a bit different than I expected, more of a life story than More than Two which is a guidebook. But I enjoyed hearing and seeing the evolution of the polyamorous community through the eyes of someone who had been involved for many years.
Candice Brothers
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved reading this memoir by Franklin Veaux. Since he was first navigating being polyamorous before the age of the internet, it's fascinating to read about his experiences and how they've helped him grow.
Duffman
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
It warmed up to me once I had a shift in how I viewed Franklin as he presented himself in the book.
Bennett Lee
Thoughts pending

Stephanie
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I. AM. SHAKEN. This book is a game changer.
Jalen Lyle-Holmes
Feb 12, 2018 rated it liked it
didn't get super engaged but it did hold my attention. made me think about the possible pitfalls of rules in/about relationships.
Sergey Antopolskiy
Jul 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
An enlightening view on love life of someone very much different, and at the same time so similar, to most everyone I know. The side stories about computer geekery were also very heartwarming.
Raven
Oct 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh man. I've never met the author, but I want to buy him a beer or a cup of tea. Many states away, I was making a lot of the same mistakes in polyamory for different reasons. (view spoiler). Like the author, I did it, that was fifteen years ago now, and I've regretted it ever since -- I feel terrible about having treated my erstwhile partner ...more
Patrick Rauland
Nov 21, 2016 rated it liked it
After reading More Than Two I enjoyed learning a bit more about Franklin's life. I think it adds some context around important pillars of polyamory. Ex. you can see where the secondary bill of rights comes from.

My notes:

“Sexual intimacy can be a gateway to emotional intimacy. Even when it’s confined to text over a computer screen.”

We started talk about sex but also about our hopes and dreams, our past loves, the millions of little details that make up our live
Maya Reid
Oct 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
I knew this book was going to scare me, as the monogamish partner of a polyamorous person who isn't very comfortable with the whole idea of loving multiple people, and it did. Though very different from More than Two, I think this is a very well-written book. I wish that we had been able to see more of how Celeste actually felt and what she actually thought, instead of just Franklin's interpretations of where she was coming from emotionally. As he states himself multiple times in the book, he do ...more
Allie Kleber
I read this for my book club (which focuses loosely on themes around sex, kink, alternative relationship models, gender and sexuality). From briefly scanning the summary before I began, I expected something much more didactic, but instead it's an engaging and forthright memoir, describing the author's exploration of relationship models over several decades. (Incidentally, it also chronicles his participation in the development of various aspects of computer technology and the formation of online ...more
Jeremy
Nov 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
A great read! I was reading this because polamory fascinates me. I am not currently polyamorous, though I am not strictly monogamous, either. My partner and I are exploring who we are currently, and this book looked interesting to me as we go through our current adventures. I am definitely recommending this book to my partner, so we can talk about it. If you are interested in more of an experience, a view, into this unique way to love, this is a good book for you. It may turn you off to this typ ...more
Andy
Jun 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
A thought-provoking read that sheds a great deal more light on many of Franklin Veaux's pontifications in his earlier book. Beyond the heart-wrenching aspect of the author's troubled relationships, seeing how the polyamory community has evolved over the past couple decades in terms of how it has viewed hierarchical and "rules"-based relationships, as well as particulars such as veto, was especially interesting to me. I would recommend as a companion book this to anyone who is reading or has read ...more
Hermes Solenzol
Oct 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: erotica
This book is an autobiographic account of the experiences of the author in his polyamorous relationships. In particular, it examines the damage done to his lovers and himself by the primary / secondary arrangement. Its simple and honest style really captured my attention. I am also polyamorous and have gone through experiences similar to those recounted by the author. For people who are not in the polyamory lifestyle is a very entertaining way to look into the life experiences of those who pract ...more
Kyra
Jul 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir, polyamory
I liked Franklins humour and insight and his clever writing. What I liked most though, is that he never makes people out to be villains, and he doesn't pretend that he's a saint.
If you enjoyed the tiny snippets of personal history in More Than Two and want more of that, you will like The Game Changer. And if the experience of being in a poly/mono relationship hits close to home, read it. It won't solve your problems but it will give you something to talk about with your partner.
Kara
Jan 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: readin2016
This is a very quick read that packs a lot of information and thought into a simple retelling of Franklin Veaux's romantic history. It's great. It's thoughtful, and honest. It's useful.

Thank you for sharing this, Mr. Veaux.

• The Polyamorists Next Door: Inside Multiple-Partner Relationships and Families
  • Redefining Our Relationships: Guidelines for Responsible Open Relationships
  • Pagan Polyamory: Becoming a Tribe of Hearts
  • One Big Happy Family: 18 Writers Talk About Polyamory, Open Adoption, Mixed Marriage, Househusbandry, Single Motherhood, and Other Realities of Truly Modern Love
  • Red Star Tattoo: My Life as a Girl Revolutionary
  • Sarah: The Life of Sarah Bernhardt
  • A Sentimental Novel
  • Designer Relationships: A Guide to Happy Monogamy, Positive Polyamory, and Optimistic Open Relationships
  • My Foreign Cities
  • Learning Good Consent: On Healthy Relationships and Survivor Support
  • Eight Things I Wish I'd Known About Polyamory: Before I Tried It and Frakked It Up
  • Boston Strong: A City's Triumph Over Tragedy
  • Love and Logic Magic When Kids Leave You Speechless
  • The Journals of Spalding Gray
  • Flying
  • Opening Up: A Guide to Creating and Sustaining Open Relationships
  • Love in Abundance: A Counselor's Advice on Open Relationships
  • Shakespeare and Company, Paris: A History of the Rag and Bone Shop of the Heart