Start by marking “Al-Muhaddithat: The Women Scholars in Islam” as Want to Read:
Al-Muhaddithat: The Women Scholars in Islam

Al-Muhaddithat: The Women Scholars in Islam

This book is an adaptation in English of the prefatory volume of a 40-volume biographical dictionary (in Arabic) of women scholars of the Prophet s hadith. Learned women enjoyed high public standing and authority in the formative years of Islam. For centuries thereafter, women travelled intensively for religious knowledge and routinely attended the most prestigious mosques ...more
Published 2007 by Interface Publications

To ask other readers questions about Al-Muhaddithat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Al-Muhaddithat

Start your review of Al-Muhaddithat: The Women Scholars in Islam
Adam Taufique
Mar 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. Sh. Muhammad Nadwi does an amazing job at showing how women would go neck and neck with men in preserving hadiths. Their scholarship was not only respected, but even participated in the classes that women taught.

The only negative I found from this book was that sometimes there are pages and pages of just names (chains of narrators), which can get dry at times. This motivated me to find out about each name in the chain and who they were.

Overall, a very good read.
Noor
Sep 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: religion
Shaykh Akram begins this book by stating that it is "not an exercise in 'women's studies'", although he does invite people to use the material presented for such studies. It essentially serves as the introduction to his recently completed 53-volume biographical dictionary of female hadith scholars in Islam.

This book shows abundantly that females have been involved in the scholarly tradition in Islam right from its inception; not just for hadith, but extending to all sciences of Islam. It was no
'Izzat Radzi
Saya hanya berdoa agar buku ini suatu hari diterjemahkan ke dalam Bahasa Melayu.
Ayah
Feb 11, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This book is such a valuable resource on the thousands of women scholars of hadith throughout all centuries and regions of Islamic history. It is so inspiring to read about the achievements, skills, and dedication that these women had to their fields of study—not just in terms of theoretical knowledge, but also in terms of how they applied this knowledge to their actions and characters.

A repeated emphasis throughout the book was that the women scholars were never judged differently from the mal
Muahid mubashir
Oct 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: students of knowledge, scholars
Shelves: islam
oh..This scholarly work has many, i mean so many lengthy names of female scholars, their teachers,and the books they have studied and taught over period of time which refutes and rebukes those people who say Islam didn't allow women for higher studies .It is astonishing to know some women have traveled thousands of miles with their mahrams to gain knowledge.
But I don't recommend it to a beginners in Islamic studies as i mentioned it has got so many Arabic names you will be bored with and eventua
Neelam
May 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is such an inspiring book for all people to read.
The countless women throughout islamic history that were independent empowered women, that contributed to society, that helped change society for the better is just amazing!
This book is a must read as it will help to dispel any belief that women are oppressed and denied an education in islam.
The only thing i will say is that you may find some of the language a bit difficult when it comes to names of people etc.
A book that you can ref
Abu Kamdar
Jun 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
As an introduction to a larger work, this book fulfills its objectively properly. It raises interest in the topic, introduces key concepts, gives a brief summary and history, and most importantly gets the reader interested in the full research which I hope to read one day.
Badrul Aini Sha'ari
Menginsafkan.

Selama ini kita jarang didedahkan dengan nama wanita di sebalik turunnya ayat al-Qur'ān atau wurudnya Ḥadīth tertentu.
Nadia Leona Yunis
Mar 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An awesome book that all Muslimah's need to read especially those who are students of knowledge of the Islamic Sciences! ...more
Lyana Khairuddin
Mar 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book left me with a lot to reflect upon. Documenting women scholars in Islamic hadith tradition is no easy feat, and for Mohammad Akram Nadwi to have completed this require Muslims globally, especially Muslim women to say thanks. Thank you, for having labouriously collected names and lineage and the most relevant hadiths attributed to women scholars. This book is merely a summary of volumes of "dictionaries" listing women scholars and the hadiths they narrated, and focuses on women as hadit ...more
Adiahs2708
Mar 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing
"I do not know of another religious tradition in which women were so central, so present, so active in its formative history" - Pg. 16

Absolutely beautiful.

Okay, I'm gonna keep it short, sweet & simple. Otherwise, I'm gonna blabber on how much I love this book!! :3

This book is JUST a summary / introduction of the kitab series that Sh. Akram wrote on the female Muhaddithat (Hadith narrators). Which was equally mind-blowing for me reading this, thumbing through the pages I couldn't help feeling in
Aisha (thatothernigeriangirl)
I read this book over the course of five months, taking occasional breaks to fully internalize its contents.
Nadwi outdid himself with the research he did for this book and I commend his efforts immensely.
This book outlined several reasons why knowledge (including transmission of Hadith) has never been shackled by the chains of gender and every word reflected that point.
This is by far one of the best and most liberating English text on Islamic history.
Despite its brilliant contents, I think the w
Farraas Muhdiar
Jun 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Such a recommended read if you want to know more about the role of women Muslim scholars in preserving the hadith and how Islam perceives & value women since hundreds of years ago. The book could be a bit challenging if you haven't read anything about Islamic studies before - but I found it eye-opening. The long list of names in the book could be a bit annoying, but I think it's important to ensure the reliability of the message. ...more
Joko
Feb 13, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ff-book-club, islam
Super well researched! A LOT of names. Because it was described as a dictionary, I wasn't expecting the writing to have such a literary quality. It flows like a story, which makes sense with the subject matter. I suppose hadiths are like stories in that sense.
Maryam
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. Very good for circle studies. Highly recommended. May Allah reward the author immensely.
Tuscany Bernier
Sep 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book. I found out something new on almost every page and it helped me understand the oft-forgotten history female scholarship in the Islamic world better. I recommend this book to anybody with at least a basic understanding of Hadith though because he expects you understand most of the Arabic terms used. :D
Shamsa Abid
I can't rate as I didn't read the whole book. ...more
Asim Kazi
Jul 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Dr. Nadwi discusses the many contributions made by female scholars and the importance of such scholarship in Islam.
Ummu Humairah
Oct 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Noor
Nov 13, 2020
Sabahat Pervaiz
rated it did not like it
Apr 24, 2019
Sep 30, 2019
Yusra
Dec 02, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• If the Oceans Were Ink: An Unlikely Friendship and a Journey to the Heart of the Quran
  • Women in the Qurʼan : An Emancipatory Reading
  • Fiqh of Social Media: Timeless Islamic Principles for Navigating the Digital Age
  • Long Walk to Freedom
  • Antifragile: Things That Gain from Disorder
  • Dialogue: The Art of Thinking Together
  • Incerto 4-Book Bundle: Antifragile, The Black Swan, Fooled by Randomness, The Bed of Procrustes
  • The Time Of The Bedouin