Start by marking “Depths of Blue (On Deception's Edge #1)” as Want to Read:
Depths of Blue (On Deception's Edge #1)

Read Book

Depths of Blue

(On Deception's Edge #1)

For Torrin Ivanov, life is a bargaining table. Every planet is a new business opportunity. Legality is optional and supplying one side in a local civil war always adds up to profit.

Jak Stowell is at war within a war. A woman hidden in the heart of a male-only army, her brother’s murder has left her desperate for vengeance. Her skill as a sniper gives her both the disguise
Published April 2015 by Bella Books

To ask other readers questions about Depths of Blue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Depths of Blue

Jem
Torrin Ivanov fancies herself a "technology dealer", though the other side thinks "smuggler" is a more accurate term. Acting on a tip from a shady information peddler, she lands on a planet on the outer fringes of the galaxy hoping to strike up some lucrative deals. Used to using her feminine assets to help things along, she dresses up for the part. What she doesn't realize is that it just might get her in big trouble.

Jak Stowell is a killing machine. Her reputation as an incredibly efficient s
M
Jul 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent, exciting and impressive first novel. Military Sci-if is hard to do well, but this succeeded hands down.

Off to buy the next in the series.
Amy
Sep 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lesbian-fiction
This book is quite a ride. A wild, exciting, dangerous ride that makes you immediately put the book down at the end, and wonder how soon you can pick up book two. I have to admit, I couldn't quite sustain the picture of this world in my head. All the flora is a shade of blue, but when they were in the forest, I kept defaulting to the greens and browns of forest giants here. The story starts a little slowly for me, and I think that's just because I was impatient for Jak and Torrin to go ahead and ...more
Frank Van Meer
Apr 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
I am always happy to see a new release in science fiction featuring lesbian charatcers. I usually am disappointed too, unfortunatly, because well, most of what is being released isn't very good.

Depths of Blue, while it has some flaws, is thankfully pretty good.

The setting is pretty basic: mankind has set out towards the stars and some 6 centuries later we are introduced to a Fringe planet locked up in Civil War. Fringe planets were the frist to be colonized and basically left to their own devi
Tara
This is a really fun lesbian military sci-fi book that's heavy on the action and adventure and light on the romance (but with enough romance that it should be satisfying for any lesfic reader). It's the first in a trilogy and I'm looking forward to reading the rest!

Listen to Brooklyn and I talk about it on the Les Do Books podcast here: https://thelesbiantalkshow.podbean.co...
CaseyTheCanadianLesbrarian
Depths of Blue by Lise MacTague (book one in the Deception’s Edge series) belongs to a few genres I don’t normally read: military science fiction, and romance. So I honestly wasn’t quite sure how much I would like this novel when I picked it up having been generously sent it by the Winnipeg-born, US-residing author (whose other talents as described in her bio, I might add, include being a librarian and hockey player). I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed Depths of Blue ...more
Rhode
May 31, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
DNF 27%. This is one of those books where most men are scum and both heroines' cultures include ample portions of rape. There's enough misogyny IRL that I don't need to read about it for entertainment, in particular in SF which I turn to in part to see gender roles played outside our current western norms.

Also, all four of the parents of the heroines are dead at remarkably young ages. I'm fed the f up with dead parents as a nearly inevitable plot point currently.

So, over and out.
E.A.
Sep 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gay-lesbian
Quick read. Keeps reader on the edge of her seat. Interesting characters, good descriptions, and a nice off-world universe (and not hard to believe). There's no half a star rating, this would have gotten 4.5 stars, .5 taken off for cliffhanger.
Samantha
Jun 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great blend of sci-fi and lesbian romance. I'll definitely be back for the next book.
Linda
Sep 19, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was an okay book. The writing was good from a technical aspect and the story had a good plot. I guess if you wereinto army life and battles, this story would have been more to your liking. I, however, like a good romance behind the plot, whatever the plot might be. This was lacking in romance, as far as I was concerned. Even the sex scenes were written so clinically, as to be almost boring.

For me, the story really took off in the last 15% of the book, where the Jak and Torrin were excaping. I
Michelle
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book started me on my Lise MacTague fangirl journey. I read the entire series in a couple of days. I love Jak and Torrin and voraciously devoured the progression of their relationship as they navigated through social constructs, personal baggage and stressful situations. The trilogy has great pacing and plenty of action with some steamy sex scenes. I enjoyed the way the author portrayed the inner struggles of the MCs as they relate to gender, autonomy and identity. I can't say enough good t ...more
Bonnie
Jul 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. Enjoyable plot with sniper, Jak, masquerading as a male, going behind enemy lines to assassinate a threat. However when she discovers the target, Torrin, is a woman she decides to take her hostage and return back to base. There are the requisite baddies on both sides but I felt they were more like cartoon villains than evil threats. I also found the attraction between the two main characters too fast and a bit unbelievable. Otherwise, a fun read for lovers of sci-fi or F/F adventure r ...more
DefinitelyNotARabbit
May 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I picked up the whole trilogy based on a review on The Lesbian Review and I do not regret it! Book 1 here is an amazing romp through the wilderness and I've fallen in love with Lise MacTague's prose thanks to it. This trilogy is probably near the top of what I've read and it's easily in a top spot of my favorite books. Even if Lesfic isn't your thing seriously check this series out. Do yourself the credit and service.
Nikki Angel
Oct 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
I liked the premise, and the execution of the book. The characters weren't perfect. I like that in books. But they were likable. If you like sci-fi this is a good book to read, with some interesting twists and turns. Also, both main characters are strong women, another plus!
Elin
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fun times in space! Such a nice break from my course material 😍😍😍
Lindsay
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
The planet Haefen is peopled by humans who believe in "traditional" gender roles, with two groups separated by degree. The Orthodoxians keep women as breeders and slaves and the Devonians just don't let them own property or engage in business. And the two sides are engaged in a bitter civil war.

On the Devonian side we have the sniper Jak, a disguised woman looking to avenge the death of her brother on the battlefield. Her latest mission is to assassinate the offworld smuggler who has come to mee
Sandra Shelmerdine
Mar 26, 2018
Brenda March
Jun 16, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The Caphenon (Chronicles of Alsea #1)
  • Pirate's Fortune (Supreme Constellations, #4)
  • Razor Wire
  • Silver Collar (Garoul, #4)
  • Worth Every Step
  • Divine Touched (Vaelandrian Goddesses, #1)
  • Coils
  • True Nature (Shape-Shifter, #2)
  • One Last Thing (Elite Operatives, #7)
  • Mounting Danger
  • Partners - Book One (Partners, #1)
  • The Scorpion
  • The First Twenty
  • The Clinic (Tristaine, #1)
  • After the Fall
  • The Candidate
  • Next Time
  • Cold to the Touch (The Dark Peak, #2)

On Deception's Edge (3 books)
  • Heights of Green (On Deception's Edge #2)
  • Vortex of Crimson (On Deception's Edge #3)
“What the hell was she supposed to do now? She didn’t want to kill the woman. She’d never killed a woman before.” 0 likes
“He was shorter than she was. She supposed that might account for some of his issues. The” 0 likes