Start by marking “Mr Mercedes (Bill Hodges Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Mr Mercedes (Bill Hodges Trilogy, #1)

Mr Mercedes

(Bill Hodges Trilogy #1)

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  201,391 ratings  ·  15,184 reviews
#1 New York Times bestseller! In a high-suspense race against time, three of the most unlikely heroes Stephen King has ever created try to stop a lone killer from blowing up thousands. “Mr. Mercedes is a rich, resonant, exceptionally readable accomplishment by a man who can write in whatever genre he chooses” (The Washington Post).

In the frigid pre-dawn hours, in a distres
Published April 28th 2015 by Hodder Paperbacks (first published June 3rd 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Mr Mercedes, please sign up.
Darren I've read everything Stephen King has written and can say, without trepidation, that Mercedes Man is NOT a book that will go down as a good example of…moreI've read everything Stephen King has written and can say, without trepidation, that Mercedes Man is NOT a book that will go down as a good example of why folks love his writing. 11/21/63 is fantastic. Had you started reading King much earlier you could have lived through the thrill and anticipation of waiting for each new serial in the original Green Mile, which had some of the same qualities of tone.

If you really want to experience Stephen King at his best though, you have to go back... Way back. For my money, "It" is the pinnacle, along with "Pet Cemetery," "The Stand," "Tommyknockers" and even stretching as far back as "Salem's Lot" (still the only book to give me nightmares). As far as his more recent work; "Duma Key" is as close as he's come to replicating his peak in the last few years.

To love Stephen King is to love a certain style and to trust that the author will deliver. Most folks who have come to his work anew in the last ten years don't have the same attachment to him/it as those of us over forty,but if you want to understand why those of us of a certain age will always buy whatever he writes, go back to the mid 70's and start there. You'll have the bejeezus scared out of you, you might cry, you'll read some of the best short story collections of one author ever printed and you'll enjoy timeless writing in multiple genre's.

I really believe that there is something for ALMOST everybody in StephenKing's work.(less)
Jeremy Coss I disagree. I found the book to be boring and uninspired. I forgot the villains name until you said it. Now, Randall Flagg or Pennywise I'll never…moreI disagree. I found the book to be boring and uninspired. I forgot the villains name until you said it. Now, Randall Flagg or Pennywise I'll never forget.(less)

·  201,391 ratings  ·  15,184 reviews

Kemper
Warning! Some Stephen King fans (Of which I am one.) may be angered by this review and feel the need to tell me one or more of the following:

1) I missed the point.
2) I haven’t written a best selling book and therefore have no right to be critical of someone who has.
3) I should quit being so nitpicky and just relax for gosh’s sake!
4) It’s called FICTION, not REALITY. Idiot!
5) I should burn in hell for all eternity for daring to impugn the honor of their favoritest author ever and this super aweso
Becky
I have been a King fan since I was 9 years old, which I'd say qualifies as lifelong fandom. I've read every book he's written that I can get my greedy fangirl hands on... but this... This was a clusterfuck. I had to literally force myself to finish it - a first in my 20+ years of Constant Readership. Even his weakest books have always kept me turning the pages out of a need to know what happens next. But this one... I truly didn't care. It was my need to be a King library completionist that kept ...more
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Is this book perfect? Nope. Did I go completely fan-girl over it. Yep.
Stephen Fricking King. You never fail to surprise me.
This book did lag in a few spots for me. There was a insta-love going on. I don't give a sheeet.

Hodges..a 64 year old retired cop gets a letter from one of the worst characters I've ever met in a book. The hunt is on.
I got swept up in this book and now I'm crying a little (yes my cold heart does that occasionally). This book has characters that I was cheering so hard for b
Will Byrnes
Detective Bill Hodges is 62, overweight, divorced and retired. He lives alone and has an uncomfortably familiar relationship with his father’s pistol. The two spend long hours together in front of the tube, taking in
Justin
Sep 18, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Let's talk about three-star reviews for a minute.

I feel like three-star review in today's world means whatever is being reviewed isn't good. And, man, I just don't know if that's fair. I feel like our expectations are too high now, and I'm right there in the mix thumbing at my nose at anything rated an average three stars.

Examples...

I'm currently in freaking Honolulu hot damn Hawaii (which I think is the closest thing we have to what heaven will be like) and I'm finding myself on Yelp or TripA
*TANYA*
Mar 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-it
Freakishly fantastic book!! Stephen King is one of the authors that never disappoints me. And Bill Hodges is a new book character favorite of mine!!!
Sean Barrs the Bookdragon
This is only the second Stephen King book in which I’ve actually managed to get past the first few pages. I don’t know what is about his writing, but it really does not draw me in. This, however, was an exception. The fast nature of the plot resulted in a novel that was a real page turner, but it's not without its faults.

A cold trail

Detective Hodges has solved all of his cases but one: the Mercedes massacre. Just a few months before he was to retire a madman drove into a crowd of job seekers
Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~
"Comparison is the thief joy." - Theodore Roosevelt

The above sentiment couldn't be more true, even in the context of comparing books. This comparison may be a small insult to these novels but for me, Mr. Mercedes read like a less clever cross between Death Note by Tsugumi Ohba & You by Caroline Kepnes.

The dynamic between depressed, retired cop, Bill Hodges & your friendly neighborhood psychopath, Brady Hartsfield, is reminiscent of that between L & Light Yagami. Two intelligent men c
Edward Lorn
May 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
MR. MERCEDES has an opening that epitomizes Stephen King's mastery of character. In a few short pages, King captures with well-placed dialogue and introspection the struggles of two people who are trying to keep their heads above water in our unstable economy. Then everything goes terribly wrong for these two people (three, if you count the most unfortunate soul in the crowd), and the reader realizes that anything, and everything, is possible in this shocking and brilliant thriller.

When we're in
Alejandro
I can't deny that I still need to read a lot to get to know Stephen King's work in novels. Basically my contact with his work has been on the adaptations of his works on films, mini-series, and on, that in that regard it has been quite a lot since I have watched almost all the major adaptations made.

However, I thought that this book can be a priceless option since not only didn't require having read any other book before, but also, himself had described as his first "hard-boiled" detective novel
Dan Schwent
May 01, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
A madman driving a Mercedes plows into a crowd of job seekers, killing eight and injuring many more. A year later, the retired detective formerly in charge of the case gets a letter from the killer, taunting him. Can retired Detective Hodges bring in the killer before he kills again?

Stephen King tries his hand at writing a straight up thriller in this outing. Was he good at it? Of course he was.

Mr. Mercedes is a page turner, a cat and mouse thriller pitting a retired detective against the one t
Fabian
Nov 11, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Verdict is: This is lukewarm-at-best Stephen King.

Still, not as notoriously awful as more recent literary attempts (yuck Dr. Sleep yuck!). There is notable strength in the back story of the sociopathic killer. Also, a healthy handful of Stephen King elements that makes one chuckle for their inclusion in such a, well, pedestrianish tale of savagery & woe. Regular tokens such as the car-as-weapon, retiree-as-hero and death-of-secondary-protagonist midway are all happily included in this tome.
Trudi

This is a case where the star system really fails me, or I feel like I must explain my rating. Four stars does not make Mr. Mercedes one of King's best. In fact, stacked up against some of his better known works, it pales and withers fraught as it is with giant plot holes, some incredulous leaps in logic and a hero who behaves more moronic than heroic (if you want a list of these weaknesses look no further than Kemper's excellent review where he takes King to task on all these matters and more
Calista
This was a great book to read in October. There are horror elements in the story, but this is more of a mystery book. I felt like it was very well crafted by Stephen King. He is a master a characterization in my opinion. Each character is a well rounded person with their own motivations.

In this novel he focuses on a retired cop who doesn't know what to do with himself in retirement and a murderer that brings him out of retirement and gives him something to do. The opening scene is grisly and th
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com

When I first saw the cover art for Mr. Mercedes I thought , “Awwwww, how sweet – Stephen King wrote a book about a guy who drives an ice cream truck” ; )

I didn’t bother to read the synopsis. I rarely do – especially when it comes to anything by King. He writes it. I read it. End of story. Then the ratings started coming in, and boy were they polarized. I still didn’t bother reading any blurbs or reviews, I just braced myself and prepar
Johann (jobis89)
May 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Everybody likes the ice cream man."

Retired cop Bill Hodges is haunted by an unsolved crime where innocent people were waiting for entry into a job fair when a lone driver plows through the crowd in a Mercedes, injuring and killing many. When he receives a letter from the perp threatening another evil act, Hodges becomes hellbent on preventing such horror happening again.

I could read true crime until it made my eyeballs bleed, but there's just something about crime fiction or detective stories t
Lyn
Dec 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While no doubt global and domestic terrorists and active shooters have caused most of the damage, this book makes me wonder how much Stephen King has contributed to our national paranoia.

He comes up with some f***ing creepy s***.

I mean, we KNOW it’s Stephen King and he cannot just keep scaring us with the same old themes, he’s got to come up with new stuff. But even considering that, I was still shocked a couple of times and thought “who thinks like that”???

Stephen King, that’s who.

Mr. Mercedes
Maciek
For a suspense thriller this was pretty average, and for a Stephen King novel it's pretty weak. Mr. Mercedes is a departure from most of Mr. King's other work in the sense that it has none of his trademark mixture of the fantastic with the ordinary - it is a pure thriller, dedicated to James M. Cain and prefaced with the opening line of his noir classic, The Postman Always Rings Twice.

Mr. Mercedes opens somewhere in the American Midwest, in a depressed, unnamed town hit hard by the recession. A
Orient
Jun 04, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Orient by: Anish Kohli

Quote from “The Shining”

A thrilling rec from my GR friend, Anish. Thank you 😊

This is my second King I’ve read. The first one was “The shining”, I was amazed, terrified and discouraged to read King’s books further. Apparently till now :) It seems I just needed a lighter take from King and I got it in “Mr. Mercedes”.

This cop-killer chase is overwhelming and merciless. The suspense is highlighted using the means of speech, words in bold, words in capital letters or italic to emphasize the urgency
Norma * Traveling Sister
MR. MERCEDES by SPEPHEN KING was an action-packed, fast-paced, and highly enjoyable crime/mystery novel that held my interest from start to finish.

I started off listening to the audio version of this book but I wasn't able to get into the story like I needed to so decided that it would be best that I read the print copy instead. The narration was really good by Will Patton but with books like these I tend to get distracted really easy and miss a lot of key points.

I was expecting a little bit mor
James Thane
Bill Hodges is a retired detective in a city that's seen better days. For that matter, Bill has seen better days himself. He's divorced, living alone, and now spends most of his time in his recliner watching dopey daytime television shows while playing with his gun and wondering what it might be like to just stick it in his mouth and end it all. He's let himself go to seed and is now twenty pounds overweight; clearly, he's on the downhill side of life.

Like a lot of retired detectives, though, Ho
James Tivendale
Oct 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Sorry for being sentimental, however; I am probably in the most depressive state I have ever been within. This book has helped me, bizarrely as it is about a "hard-boiled" ex-cop and a well-created mother loving charismatic and clever serial killer.

I do not give many books five stars and Stephen King with his commercial success - I did not think this day would ever come except perhaps the Dark Tower series which I did appreciate.

I can't start to analyse how good this is. I am depressed reviewer
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin

*. . . and I thought the chances were at least 50-50 that I would get caught. I didn't care. And I SURE didn't know how it would haunt me afterward. I still relive the thuds that resulted from hitting them, and I still hear screams. Then when I saw the news and found out I had even killed a baby, it really came home to me what a terrible thing I had done. I don't know how I live with myself.*

That was actually just a load of bull he was feeding someone. I mean he got off on what he had done. Li
Nicole Rhaven
Jan 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
This book was...hahaha, yeah right, this book hasn't even come out yet!
I wish I read it...maybe I can time travel...

photo tumblr_lx0aglz5Cj1r8058ko1_500.gif

Stephen King you sly dog you, you have done it once again! This book, no lie, starts off slowly, but you don't care, because his writing it so amazing that you are just entranced by that fact alone.
I once again did not read ANYTHING about this book so I went into it blindly and I am glad that I did. I enjoyed the hell out of this book. I found it nearly impossible to set down. It
Rebecca McNutt
With Stephen King books, it's usually either a hit or miss with his writing, that is to say, sometimes it's just cheap filler and other times it's totally incredible. Mr. Mercedes luckily is on the incredible side of the spectrum. Reading it had me thinking of films such as The Poughkeepsie Tapes with its shocking crimes and bizarre events. This book is original, riveting and definitely worth reading.
Kainat 《HUFFLEPUFF & PROUD》
4.5 STARS

“People can be stunningly unobservant.”

RTC
This book be fucking crazy, yo!
Tell us how you really feel, King.

Stephen King meets Will Patton:

Just look at these beautiful covers.
Will M.
Update 2015: I heard they're developing this into a "limited" TV Series! Can't wait to watch it! Here's the link

A psycho-madman with a Mercedes ran over a crowd of unemployed people resulting to 8 deaths and 15 injuries. He escapes. Months later, Bill Hodges, the lead detective, is still having nightmares about the crime incident. He contemplates suicide, and watches a lot of TV shows with his gun on his lap. Out of the blue, he receives a letter from the psycho-madman, and then the story of cat
Steve
This one was terrible! I can't go any further, and is going into the abandoned book shelf. This is really disappointing because I've been a Constant Reader since Carrie was originally published.
The characters have no compelling personalities, the antagonist is vile and seems to have been written by King as one with every bad/evil quality he could think of. The protagonist is completely unrealistic, as well, and I would venture to say that he's more insane than the bad guy. And what's with the s
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
I'm sitting here, trying to collect my thoughts about the book, trying to come up with something good about it, but it's hard, mostly because there are so many things that bother me.

The biggest issue I had with the book was that Hodges never contacted the cops which I found puzzling since he from the beginning never had a reason for a vendetta except for the fact that he never caught Mr. Mercedes before he retired. Of course, later on, he got himself a reason to wanting the killer dead, mostly b
Shruti
My first Stephen King read! Keeping my fingers crossed for this one!

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • The Handmaid's Tale
  • Charlie the Choo-Choo
  • Lord of the Flies
  • Dark Screams: Volume One
  • The Two-Bear Mambo (Hap and Leonard, #3)
  • Pandemic (Infected, #3)
  • Where'd You Go, Bernadette
  • Locke & Key
  • Blaze
  • The Underground Railroad
  • Suspect (Scott James & Maggie, #1)
  • The Killing Kind (Charlie Parker, #3)
  • Bubble
  • A Dangerous Man (Hank Thompson, #3)
  • For the Dead (Poke Rafferty Mystery, #6)
  • Double Feature
  • The Church of Dead Girls

Bill Hodges Trilogy (3 books)
  • Finders Keepers (Bill Hodges Trilogy, #2)
  • End of Watch (Bill Hodges Trilogy, #3)
“Every religion lies. Every moral precept is a delusion. Even the stars are a mirage. The truth is darkness, and the only thing that matters is making a statement before one enters it. Cutting the skin of the world and leaving a scar. That’s all history is, after all: scar tissue.” 81 likes
“Life is a crap carnival with shit prizes.” 49 likes