Start by marking “The Glory Field” as Want to Read:
The Glory Field

The Glory Field

An exciting, eye-catching repackage of acclaimed author Walter Dean Myers' bestselling paperbacks, to coincide with the publication of SUNRISE OVER FALLUJA in hardcover.
"Those shackles didn't rob us of being black, son, they robbed us of being human."
This is the story of one family. A family whose history saw its first ancestor captured, shackled, and brought to this cou
Published January 1st 1996 by Scholastic (first published January 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Glory Field, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Glory Field

Scott Rhee
Mar 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
In a brief 375 pages, Walter Dean Myers, in his novel "The Glory Field", covers roughly 250 years in the history of a black family, spanning multiple generations. Starting with the abduction of an 11-year-old boy named Muhammad Bilal off the coast of West Africa in 1753, the novel follows key events in the lives of the progeny of Muhammad, from slavery to the Civil War to Reconstruction to the Civil Rights Movement to present day (or 1994, which is when the book was published).

A symbolic family
█║ ✕ Aesthetic Indelible  ‟Aɴɢeʟ‟
Jan 23, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one
Recommended to █║ ✕ Aesthetic Indelible ‟Aɴɢeʟ‟ by: Class Assignment
This is what some others call a never again book. It isn't the worst, but it definitely isn't good. As soon as you start getting wrapped up, and think your okay with reading this they change to another decade. Here's the chapters:
July 1753, page three
March 1864 page seven
April 1900 page forty-one
May 1930 page seventy-seven
January 1964 page one hundred fifteen
August 1994 page one hundred fifty-nine
Two hundred, the end.

That itself is completely disturbing. I have to read this for language arts
I had a difficult time deciding whether or not I wanted to rate this as historical fiction. Since the majority of the book takes place before my students were born, I decided that they would consider it historical fiction and so should I.

I read The Glory Field as part of my classes' author study of Walter Dean Myers. I don't know what in particular drew me to this particular book out of all the choices available. I think I just liked the title.

I had a difficult time following the timeline and fa
Kathryn
Feb 10, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: teen-books
I am a big fan of Walter Dean Myers because I think that he writes in a style that is real and easy for teens to relate to. However, this book is different from some of his others. It is the story of an African-American family told in the first person by each of its narrators from their time as slaves in the later 1700's to the mid-nineties. Some people equate it to Roots. The novel shows the struggle and strength of the family over the generations. It ties into many of the key historical events ...more
Maya
Feb 17, 2012 rated it did not like it
This book is HORRIBLE. Horrible with a capitol "H"! It is a very long book that goes on and on and on about the same thing. There is no action what-so-ever, and is quite boring. I feel bad for any other student who had to read this book. On top of it all, every 80 pages, the setting, main character, and time period changed, just to confuse you. I would not recommend this book to anyone. But, if I HAD to recommend "The Glory Field" to anyone, I would to the older aged people, because they may app ...more
Monique

Me and Mr. Walter Dean Myers—ugh we have such a tortured reading relationship..I love his books, have a library fairly well stocked with his literary cannon as he writes for my audience of beautiful young black and brown children and their issues—however I struggle with his writing style..Its not easy or fluid to me..He is challenging, kinda disjointed in his sequencing and asks a lot of you to finish his stories..He is not for every reader and I find myself putting his books down to refocus a l
Audra
Sep 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: authors-of-color
It's tough for me to give this book only three stars. The main thing that was disruptive to me was how the time period changed with no real resolution to each of the characters before the year shifted. It started in the 1700s and ended in 1994, all in the span of 300~ pages. That made it a little confusing. He does tie it all together in the end so that you can see what happened to everyone. I'm wondering if the author did that on purpose? We tend to lose track of family members over time but th ...more
Lindsay Wilcox
This was a very long book, but ultimately a good book. I found that, as the subject matter lightened and became more contemporary to present day, the writing became lighter and more humorous. I didn't exactly expect Myers to make jokes about slave ships, but I laughed more frequently in the later decades. I enjoyed the connections between decades as characters reappeared and themes persisted. After so very many pages, I was satisfied, but I wonder if this family saga needed to be quite so long.
Leslie
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book for young adults. I enjoyed the portrayal of people fighting for freedom, dignity, and their identities throughout history. This would be a great way to teach my students about experiences that are foreign to most of them. I think literature is so helpful in teaching empathy and history, and this book is great for that.
Sonya Cabral
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
i found that the book was very entertaining, but after a while of reading the book it got boring and a bit confusing. For example in this book it goes by generations of the family, in the beginning it was fine because it made sense and you already knew the characters. But when i started reading chapter four i got a bit confused because they introduced new characters which i found a bit confusing but continued to read the book. As time passed by i found the book was getting boring and would just ...more
Julie Pfeiffer
Mar 12, 2010 rated it it was ok
I really struggled getting into this book. If it hadn't been assigned for my field experience I probably would never had finished it. The story starts back in 1743 with the first descendant of the Lewis family, Muhammed, being captured and brought to American to be a slave. The book is made up of five shorter chronological stories that are about the descendants of Muhammed. The history of the family and a piece of land in South Carolina called "The Glory Field," tie the stories together. It is i ...more
Steven
Mar 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I read this book for English class and ended up really enjoying it! The book is the story of the Lewis family, and their struggles through slavery and racism. I like how it takes you from the first generation when slavery was just starting up in the 1700's, through the late 1800's, 1930's, the civil rights movement in the 60's, and eventually to the modern day. Each section follows a further generation of the family, organized by dates (April 1880, July 1963, etc.) but usually you will see chara ...more
Art
Nov 24, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone interested in life of former slaves.
Shelves: african-american
Interesting life of a family of former slaves and what takes place w/each generation.
Brings to light again why the Election of Mr. Obama was so important in this years election.
I am a WASP, however w/50%Irish/Scot background and other half being German, these groups were slandered against but not at the level of African-Americans.
Mr. Myers brings forth this message of hope for each generation from the Civil War to present in the Lewis family.
Maesha M.
Feb 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Abt the lives of african americans from the past to the present....How african american people went through alot of things to overcome their freedom. It starts from the edge of slavery (when a girl escapes with her two freinds despite the danger ahead.) all the way up to the present. The book is filled with lots of emotions and at the begining when lem died, I felt so sad and so on to the end. anyone cud read this book bcuz it is awsum for any age grup, if u can read.
Scott
Feb 09, 2011 rated it did not like it
this book seems to have not keep my attention through out the reading
Jordyn
Probably actually 3.5. Very interesting story. More to say later.
Michala
Apr 26, 2009 rated it it was ok
This book is L-A-M-E (no offence Walter)
Carla
Jul 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book ahead of the upcoming school year because I know it's one of the required readings for my students. I wasn't expecting much since it's a middle-grade book, but I was pleasantly surprised. It's a multi-generational story of the Lewis family from 11-year-old Muhammad who is kidnapped from Africa, to Joshua and Lem who fought in the Civil War, to Malcolm who struggles in the present day to figure out his place in not only the history of his family but as a black man. I thought it w ...more
Dan Rheingans
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. I thought it did a great job of tying together the story of the generations of a black family over the course of American history. Myers does a good job of reflecting the thinking of the protagonists in different periods and how they connected to the family's roots. It was a fast read and used some unique literary devices to tie together the family members throughout the book. The ending was excellent.
Donna Merritt
Apr 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Published in 1994, but still relevant today. It begins in 1753 in Africa with the capture of 11-year-old Muhammad, who is sent to America as a slave. It follows his family's story, jumping in time from a plantation on Curry Island in SC in 1864 to various places and years, ending with that same piece of land and family in 1994. Inspirational novel, but sad to think that even now, hundreds of years later, the color of your skin makes a difference in how you're treated.
Emily
Apr 14, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A story of a family's triumph throughout the years. Seem like a typical historical fiction books regarding those who were born during the slavey times, to be honest. Weren't my least favorite nor was it my favorite.
Anna S.
Mar 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Not my #1 favorite book or anywhere close to that, but nevertheless interesting.
Lee
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another good story by Mr.Myers.
Royal Prince
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book changed my life when i first read it when i was a teen. Till this day this book is my top five greatest books of all time.
Sandra Priestino
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
An excellent book.
Mirabelle
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 3rd-quarter
I think that this book has an amazing plot. I transfers from century to century, making paths of all the generations of the Lewis family. This book really shows you what change looks like. It is really amamzing how Walter Dean Myers shows how people were less priveledged than us today. I really learned a lot from this book.
Holly
Apr 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
My students will soon be reading this book and I had to stay on top of things to read it before they did.

I thought this was an interesting story, especially in its narration. All told, the story covers something like 250 years of Lewis family history. It begins with their first ancestor as he was brought over from Africa on a slave ship and continues through their family tree from there.

I thought the narration was really cool, once I got used to it. We get to see a snippet of what life was like
Dale
Jun 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Published by Scholastic in January of 1994.

The Glory Field is the story of an African-American family and their tie to a piece of land on Curry Island in South Carolina.

Reminiscent of the James Michener sagas that follow the same format, The Glory Field is not nearly as detailed or as rich as a Michener selection. However, Michener's primary audience was adults and Myers' intended audience is young adults, most of whom would not have the patience or the courage to pick up a 1,000+ page book.
Lisa Rathbun
I liked the idea of this book, but I found the reality to be slow, dull, and unconnected. The image of the glory field reappeared from time to time, but not compellingly enough, not like the trees of Mildred D. Taylor's "Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry."

The author's idea to follow a family from slavery in the 1700s through today was excellent, but I found nearly every time period bogged down in long dialogue instead of character development or plot - just people talking and talking and talking, es
Colton Cheek
The book "The Glory Field" by Walter Dean Meyers is a gripping novel that completely portrays the story of a black family from the old times of slavery to the here and now of modern times. During the book, you are taken into five different lives, each differing in the generation they are living in and the crisis' they are facing. the similarity that is shared between the teenagers is that each grows in their maturity level through the struggle of the crisis they face. This amazing book perfectly ...more
Quarter 2 IRP 1 2 Jan 21, 2017 12:15PM
  • Storm Warriors
  • Brick by Brick
  • Silicon Snake Oil: Second Thoughts on the Information Highway
  • Forty Acres and Maybe a Mule
  • War Comes to Willy Freeman (Arabus Family Saga, #1)
pseudonyms:
Stacie Williams
Stacie Johnson

Walter Dean Myers was born on August 12, 1937 in Martinsburg, West Virginia but moved to Harlem with his foster parents at age three. He was brought up and went to public school there. He attended Stuyvesant High School until the age of seventeen when he joined the army.

After serving four years in the army, he worked at various jobs and earned a BA from Empi