Start by marking “Just Like in the Movies” as Want to Read:
Just Like in the Movies

Just Like in the Movies

Ava Jones has settled for a life that she’s not sure she wants anymore, but won’t admit it. Her best friend, Erica Davidson talks her into taking a break on the Isle of Wight. Her days on the island are spent thinking things through, and arguing with Morgan whom she hates on principal.

Is it so wrong for her to want a life that follows the script of a hone
120 pages
Published July 2015 (first published June 30th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Just Like in the Movies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Just Like in the Movies

J.C. Clarke
Apr 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Knowing M.B. Feeney, I had an inkling about what journey she would take us on with this story and I wasn't disappointed at all.

The characters, setting and style is refreshing to say the least and I know that she's only showing a small percentage of her talent in this story.

I can't wait for M.B. Feeney to release more books in the future and I know I will be first in the line to get them.

Congrats on a brilliant story :)
Mantha
May 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone who wishes it could be just like in the movies!
Another really great novella from M.B. Feeney, definitely follows the concept of the rom-com movies but in a lovely way and great to have it set around the Isle of Wight instead of some US town in the middle of nowhere.....
Will I read it again?
Well DUH! Of course I will!
Worth every one of the 5 stars.
Liberty K
That book was as cute as the title!

Just Like in the Movies by M.B. Feeney was the story of Ava and her dull life in London until her friend Erica changes her life with a 10 days vacation decision. The story was so deep and cute at the same time and read it in one sitting.
Pretty Sassy Cool
3 stars.

This review also appears on Pretty Sassy Cool.

This is a quick, sweet story of a woman finding what she really wants in her life.

Ava is at what I would call a “blah” sort of place in her life. The only bright spot would be the pets she shares with her long-time, live-in boyfriend, Marcus. Said boyfriend is comfortable, but not thrilling. They’re both settling, their relationship a habit for them.

Clare Bentley
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the first person perspective of this short story because it enabled me to be in Ava's shoes. It was fast paced, just like movies but I got everything I wanted from it. With a nice rounded off ending. Definitely recommend.
Lisa
Apr 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
'Just Like in the Movies' is a novella length story about changing lives and relationships. Ava and Marcus have been together for a while and have become settled into a routine but the relationship has lost its sparkle and magic. Ava starts to feel as though she is settling for a mundane life rather than the one she wants to live.

A short holiday with her best friend Erica to the gloriously scenic Isle of Wight, gives Ava the time she needs to reflect on her life and her relationship with Marcus
C.J. Fallowfield
Oct 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great little romance novella, which took me just under an hour to read. It's my first read by Feeney, and I found this copy sitting in my "giveaways" email folder, along with a number of other books I'd won over two years ago, and had forgotten all about. I'm so glad I found this - it was a really well written story of acceptance that your life isn't what you'd hoped it would be, but instead of accepting that, for fear of change, grabbing the bull by the horns and taking steps to change it. Wh ...more
Lady Living  In Bookland
Jul 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Reviewed on behalf of ladies living in Bookland

Ava with the company of her good friend Erica head for a beach holiday at the Isle of White for ten days. During this time, she would find herself, find comfort in being alone as well as realising that the long term relationship she was in wasn't making her happy anymore.

But between the handsome stranger she meets whilst away - who truthfully grates on Ava initially, and the continual worry about her old life and Marcus, she loses sight of grabbin
Kelli
Oct 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
Ava has a rather unconventional relationship with her long-time boyfriend. The love they once had has seemed to fizzle away and they are together more out of convenience than anything. Her life may not be as picture perfect as she wishes it would be, but she's comfortable for the most part.

When her and her best friend, Erica, go away on vacation, she begins to see what her life could be if she had enough courage to make some major life changes. Erica tries to push Ava outside of her comfort zon
N. Wood
Apr 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-be-read
The main thing I love about this story is that it isn't one of the typical love at first sight kinds. Ava was already in a relationship that had never really had a spark to begin with, and it took going on a holiday with her best friend for her to think about her relationship and to realise she wanted out of it. Then comes Morgan, and you expect at first for her to fall head over heels with him. Well, no, that doesn't happen. Instead, he makes a rather foolish and almost sexist comment about her ...more
R.E. Hargrave
Apr 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well, folks, Feeney has done it again. I adored this latest offering. Done in true Rom-Com fashion, Movies sucks you in, making you laugh and feel for Ava.
The romantic element sneaks up on you, just like love tends to do. It comes out of nowhere - seemingly - and sweeps us away.
My favorite part of Feeney's style is her dialogue. Always witty and endearing, its easy for the reader to envision the conversations happening.
If you want a feel good jaunt 'across the pond,' don't hesitate
Sassy Moms Say Read Romance
First I want to thank Ren Rom Publishing for the ARC of this anthology. I also want to thank Ms. Feeney for the book information featured in this post.

I was sucked into this story very quickly and it didn't disappoint. I love how the chapter titles played on the title of the story. I loved that it started with two friends going on vacation that lead to a happily ever after for both friends. I think what I loved the most about the characters was the simple fact that it wasn't an instant attracti
M.C. Rayne
May 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There isn't much I can say about the new release from author M.B Feeney, other than how great this story is. There are moments within this novella that I laughed out loud while on a full bus, missed my stop a few times, and found my toes to be curling towards the end in excitement. This, like the others within the anthology, is the kind of bus where you really don't want your friends to join you for lunch thank you very much, because all you want is to get to the end.

I am looking for
N.L. Leeks
Jul 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing story, I'm not one for romance but this was so unlike the others that I have read.

Everything was so well described and I could see everything in my head that was happening.

Now I'm always on the look out for anything else this author publishes.
Sam Jones
Jul 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this short story - perfect summer reading . I love this authors work and can't wait to read more of her work - totally recommended
Mila
May 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
The shortest audiobook I've ever encountered (1,5 hours) turned out to be a very enjoyable, everyday and actually quite realistic story.

I had to get used to the narrator at first, she was reading faster than I had anticipated; and at times she seemed to be distant from the story and I prefer emotional narrators. But when she was getting angry, she was at her best; those bits were hilarious! Also, that British accent.

I don't think there's a need to talk about the plot because th
Tori Tee
Sep 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lilylovesindie
This review was originally posted over on Lily Loves Indie here - http://lilylovesindie.co.uk/?p=201

As with 'Right Click, Love', I really don't know where to start showering praise on this story. A happy ever after but with all the integrity and realism of the life of someone who just got lucky. Quirky, easy to relate to, completely believable and just a delight to read. There are so many things I just loved about it that I'm struggling to put them into words. That being said, you might need to wade through some gushing
Sandi Layne

Just Like in the Movies is a quick, sweet story of a woman finding what she really wants in her life.

What Ava wants, deep down, is to have a life like they show in the movies. Where she finds something new, exciting, something worth - well - writing about.

M.B. Feeney presents her heroine and her best friend a little awkwardly, but I kind of feel like that works because despite Ava’s competence in her own life, she feels distant from it. Even from herself. Her best friend, Erica (a character I would have liked to have known and understood a bit more), provides not only impetus but means to get Ava out of her day-to-day rut and off to the Isle of Wight where they rent a beach house for a period of several days.

And Ava gets her wish. Just like in the movies.

As a lifelong American, I had some cultural/language moments with this story because it is written by an Englishwoman about an Englishwoman. Just as I do at the movies, I let myself take the story as it was presented and didn’t stress over things that weren’t entirely clear to me.

[caption id="attachment_2525" align="aligncenter" width="421"]Photo taken on Ventnor, Isle of Wight. Found on The Telegraph.co.uk Photo taken on Ventnor, Isle of Wight. Found on The Telegraph.co.uk[/caption]

Initially, the romance Ava had with Morgan—the inevitable, handsome, handyman hero who lives on the Isle of Wight—was not so much about the romance or even about Morgan as much as it was about Ava realizing things about herself and her day-to-day life. Morgan (and Erica, in her way) provides the catalyst Ava needs to work for her own personal happiness.

Without a lot of details given by the author (hey, it’s a novella!) we get to see Ava find a new home, fall for a new man, and discover a new life for herself. One knows, at the end, that she will move forward and live more boldly and more happily.

Shortcomings in this story for me had to do with character development. Ava proclaims herself as one kind of person but acts rather differently at times. Morgan is kind of a wish-fulfillment fellow whom I don’t feel I know, though he is handsome and charismatic. Erica remains a mystery in many respects.

Still, it is an affirming story in that it shows how a woman can find her way on her own. I have no sense that Ava needs Morgan to be happy; just that she is happier with him. And I like that. I like that a lot.

Recommended for readers who enjoy seeing a heroine come into her own.

My thanks to M.B. Feeney for the complimentary copy she sent me so that I could review her story!

Books Laid Bare
Jun 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
There comes a time when you have to take a good hard look and make a decision on whether what you have is really what you want – this time had come for Ava and as much as she was determined to stick her head in the sand in some respects, you can’t run forever and despite the appearances of happy ever after, if what you have is a shadow of that, then you have to take stock.
Ava has done just that and her life is dealing her a crappy hand at the minute she is up to her eyes in mundane and she
Bad Girls
May 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Description:

A short story by MB Feeney is about a young woman Ana whose life is stuck in a routine

and dreams of escaping to be swept off her feet. Her best friend Erica tears her away from

her mundane life and takes Ana down to a beautiful beach house. Here is where Ana meets

Morgan and suddenly has a choice thrown in front of her, go back to her familiar life or take

a chance on something extraordinary.

Review:

We meet Ana as she mulls over her life
Jeanne McDonald
May 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I must say, I went into reading this book with the expectation of it being yet another book about a girl meeting her movie star crush and them falling madly in love with each other. That is so not the case with Just Like in the Movies. Ava lives a comfortable life. She has her boyfriend, who feels more like a male roommate than an intimate partner, and her loveable dogs. Yet she knows something is missing. When her best friend talks her into taking a vacation with her, everything in her life beg ...more
Lorenz Font
May 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my second foray into the mind and work of MB Feeney. I had no idea what to expect of the novella since the blurb didn’t give me much information. Initially, I thought this story would be dealing with actors and real movie sets. Boy was I wrong.

It started as a slow-burn with Ava Gardner going on a ten-day vacation with her friend, Erica. It was a getaway they both needed. Ava soon realizes that her short vacation has taken a turn into finding what she wants out of life.
Tbird London
I am sure we have all read books where we wished there had been more, well this was one of those books. I found I was able to connect with each character but it was a short story. What she gave us was just a glimpse of what she is capable of, and already with her novella, I was wanting more from her. What I found different with this book was it didn't have the feel of just an enjoyable hour read. The kind you read and forget minutes after reading the last page. This felt like this should be the ...more
Tasha Williams (Red's Midnight Readers)
::..Reviewed for Red's Midnight Readers..::

This is the first time I have read anything by M.B Feeney and I was not disappointed at all.

Just Like in the Movies was a heartwarming tale of one woman's self realization and finding out who she really is, whilst on a girl's summer holiday with her best friend.

It was short but packed one hell of a punch, proving you don't need a full length novel to provide a great story. I couldn't put it down.

I absolutely loved every
Lady Living  In Bookland
Reviewed by Susan @ Ladies Living in Bookland

Stacey
Jan 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read a few of this authors books now so I knew the kind of writing to expect from her; laid back, with a bit of humour too.

This novella mainly revolves around the friendship of Ava and Erica, who take an impromptu beach house holiday to the Isle of Wight. Whilst there, Ava has lots of thinking time about her relationship back home and how it has come to an standstill. She also meets Morgan, who seem to have a love/hate relationship for the short time she is there, as they get of
Rozanne (Willow's Corner)
*ARC copy provided by author for honest review

I always enjoy stories that include a vacation; it’s as if I’m on vacation with the character. After the visit at the Isle of Wight, I actually feel refreshed.

Ava Jones is almost on a “self-discovery” journey, she had to make some changes. Let go of the old, and in with the new. Ava had an unconventional relationship with her longtime boyfriend Marcus Tripp, but somewhere along the line, the flame of their candle blew out. Ava decided to
Laurie Dennison
Aug 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: done
This was a great read. The book focuses on Ava, a young woman who is in a rut in her life and when she gets a chance to go on vacation with her best friend Erica, she see a whole other life that she could leave if she just gets the courage up to make the changes that are so obviously needed to be changed in her life.

I liked how in this book, the main female finds the handyman handsome but she is also not going to trip over herself to try and get with him right from the off because he was being
Erica
May 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A short story that packs a punch. This is my second Feeney book and while the title led me to believe this was going to be a typical movie star meets normal girl, I couldn't have been more wrong.

This story has so much stuffed into a short novella. It's very well written, had me feeling connected to Ava almost immediately and feeling for her all the way through.

Ava goes on vacation at her best friends urging and with the time on her hands away from Marcus she can see their
Kirsty Turner
May 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
***REVIEWED FOR SARAH & KIRSTY'S BOOK REVIEWS***

For a short book, a lot happened! This was great read. I loved that the chapter headings were set out like a script for a film, it worked well with the title of the book. I loved all the different twists and turns and that the drama was minimal. The pace of the book worked well too; in other books as short as this, it can sometimes feel rushed but that wasn’t the case here. I loved both main characters; Ava stuck up for herself whic
Website ➤ http://mbfeeney.co.uk/
FB Reader Group ➤ https://bit.ly/2WyJ6tB
Facebook ➤ https://bit.ly/1lXx3jJ
Twitter ➤ http://bit.ly/1qzOcW1

M. B. Feeney is an army brat who finally settled down in Birmingham, UK with her other half, two kids and a dog. She often procrastinates by listening to music of all genres and trying to get ‘just one more paragraph’ written on whichever WIP is open; she is also a serious doodler and chocoholic. Writing has been her one true love