Start by marking “Belt Three” as Want to Read:
Belt Three

Belt Three

Worldbreakers do not think, do not feel and cannot be stopped.

Captain Gabriel Reinhardt’s latest mining mission has been brought to a halt by the arrival of a Worldbreaker, one of the vast alien machines that destroyed Earth and its solar system long ago. As he and his crew flee they are kidnapped by a pirate to be mind-wiped and sold into slavery, a fate worse than death
Published June 18th 2015 by HarperVoyager

To ask other readers questions about Belt Three, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Belt Three

The Captain
Apr 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Ahoy there mateys! This novel is a sci-fi standalone that I saw recommended somewhere long ago. It features a space pirate (Arrrrr!) so I picked up a copy recently as it fit me mood.

I found this to be a highly enjoyable read. It is set in a time frame where Earth and other planets have been destroyed by unstoppable alien Von Neumann probes called Worldbreakers. Humans have colonized asteroid belt systems and are struggling to survive. A Worldbreaker has arrived in belt three and people are tryin
Chris
Jun 15, 2015 rated it liked it
*Copy from Netgalley in exchange for a review*

Belt Three is an intriguing and intense sci-fi novel. It picks up some good ideas and runs with them.at core, it has some complex feeling characters, in a well-developed world, though it would have been nice to see more of both.

The setting is one of the central pillars of any text – and here, the reader feels that perhaps more than usual. The universe the characters inhabit is one set after the end of the world – literally. Mysterious entities, known
Graeme Talboys
Sep 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-books
This book is an excellent combination of the big ideas and epic sweep of the best of science fiction with the rarity that is finely drawn characterisation. This is especially gratifying as the two elements are integral to the story and work so well together as to lift this book into the realms of science fiction that I have not only enjoyed but know I will read again.

The background story, the science, and the specific ways in which the world of the story is built are all handled with great skill
Nathan Garrison
May 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
I found this book quite enjoyable. A bit reminiscent of Stephen Donaldson's "The Gap" cycle and Arthur C. Clarke's "Rendezvous With Rama", it features mankind on the brink after uncaring machines destroy the solar system, and a few desperate characters clinging to survival while searching for a chance to fight back. Well written and intriguing, this one will appeal to anyone who enjoys space faring end-of-days science fiction.
Rob Boffard
Jun 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Full disclosure: I know John Ayliff reasonably well. We hang out at the same writers group here in Vancouver. He's a quiet, unassuming dude who has just written something truly special, and I think it's worth talking about.

Belt Three presents an unstoppable, alien force: the Worldbreakers. Big-ass robots who destroy planets, using the debris to make more copies of themselves. It's as if the universe has a virus, with no way to produce antibodies. In Ayliff's book, we are past Armageddon. The end
Christopher Gerrib
Oct 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I had to admit that I was a bit reluctant to read Belt Three. The book is set several hundred years after humanity lost a war with aliens - a war in which Earth was destroyed and became asteroid Belt Three. (The other planets were also destroyed and became numbered belts). I'm glad I overcame my reluctance.

The story appears to be that of Gabriel Reinhardt, one of the "names" - members of the 1,000 or so families that escaped Earth. But Gabriel has a secret - one which makes him unusually willin
David
Oct 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
A delightful book! Compared to the classic Science Fiction of my youth, Heinlein and Asimov, a bit darker at the beginning, but clearly of that tradition. The end seemed a bit contrived, but this was a minor flaw. I would be delighted to find more science fiction like this to read.
Rae
Jul 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Belt Three is a cleverly-imagined science fiction tale with believable characters, novel worldbuilding and backstories that are revealed layer by layer. I loved it.
Jez Thorpe
Feb 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A tense, gripping dystopian sci-fi thriller, set in a future where the Earth has been reduced to an asteroid belt by a seemingly unstoppable swarm of alien craft known as the 'Worldbreakers'.
PaprikaSpazz
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book! Suspense, stimulating, awe- inspiring. Protagonist Jonas character keeps unfolding. His strength keeps developing. Keldra is a deep character as well not just as the pirate we first meet.
Caste system is explored, reminding me a bit of H. G. Wells' _Time Machine_ but in a more probable outcome. The characters fear the mind wipes that those in power wield. Yet, they have accepted this dystopian "world" as the way it is. Some of the sentient beings miss the verdant planet Earth, even th
Jamie Wells
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A very enjoyable read. I picked this book up after playing the author's smartphone game "Seedship" and can recognize in this book the qualities that led me playing that game obsessively. The author does a great job of focusing on the stories two characters as well as bringing in the sorrow and desperation of trying to live in a dying solar system.

If you enjoyed this book, I highly recommend trying out "Seedship".
John
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf-fantasy
Intriguing world building, and I really enjoyed the FAR from frictionless relationship that evolved between the two main characters. I had trouble with some of the physics---how does one steer toward the sun using solar sails?---and the use of human clones as slaves seemed to be accepted a little too casually by the characters and author. Still, decent writing and lots of chewy ideas. Solid B+
Dave
Aug 14, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Intriguing world view with interesting and complex characters. However, a sequel would be desired in order to more fully explore the ideas presented.
Nick Brett
Jun 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
A lot of interesting ideas in here. Earth has been list and mankind survives in the "belts". Planet destroyers of unknown origin are working their way across the system and what remains of mankind has nothing to stop them,
The story is about a couple of misfits, their backstory and their forced partnership to try and make sense of it all,
It's not bad, the world building is of more interest than the story which lacks a little something, but it ain't bad.
Equifinality
Nov 25, 2015 rated it it was ok
Couldn't get into the characters (Keldra in particular was super annoying) and the writing was a little immature from what I usually expect from scifi novels.
Wojciech
Oct 25, 2015
Tracy Prendergast
Aug 15, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »
John Ayliff is a science fiction writer and text-based games developer living in Vancouver, Canada. He is the author of the novel Belt Three (Harper Voyager), the game Seedship, and other works.