Start by marking “Monsters” as Want to Read:
Monsters

Monsters

A blackly comic tale about two children you would never want to meet.

Set in the Cornish town of Fowey, all is not as idyllic as the beautiful seaside town might seem. The body of a young woman is discovered in the nets of a fishing boat. It is established that the woman was murdered. Most are shocked and horrified. But there is somebody who is not - a twelve-year-old girl
Published September 3rd 2015 by Hot Key Books

To ask other readers questions about Monsters, please sign up.
Jonathan A. The ebook isn't available in the US at all. I had to create a UK amazon account and buy it that way.

Update: I just saw that kobo might have the book…more

Update: I just saw that kobo might have the book in their us store.(less)

Lotte
"What do two monsters do when they pass each other in the forest? Smile."
Murder mystery meets middle grade. The wittiness of Roald Dahl's children's fiction meets the macabre darkness of Roald Dahl's adult fiction. I highly recommend this!
*4.75/5.
Jules
Sep 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Monsters is a wonderfully unusual read. It has left me with a sort of stunned smile on my face and a teeny weeny sensation of pure horror.

I’m finding it slightly hard to categorise. I guess a ‘darkly comic mystery thriller’ is probably reasonably accurate. Some have referred to it as Young Adult, which I can understand, as the main character is a 12 year old girl, but as someone who isn’t a huge fan of YA, I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed this book, so deem it perfectly suitable for aging adults like myself.
Rizal
Oct 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Can I give this book more than 5 stars??? This book is so insanely good and so creepy! PLEASE READ THIS! I highly recommend this!
Claire (Book Blog Bird)
Dec 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book has to be one of the big surprises of the year for me. I saw it at the library the other day and was drawn to it by it’s quirky cover. By the time I’d got it home and was two chapters in, I knew I’d found something a bit special. Chapter Two, for the record, ends with the following sentence:

Jean doesn’t approve of twelve-year-old girls drinking coffee, but truly, Jean can get fucked.

Monsters is the story of two children who you really wouldn’t want to meet on your summer holidays.
Charlotte
Sep 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
YES. Bloody marvellous.

I sort of ended up reading this book by accident and I am so glad I did because it was bloody wonderful.

Monsters by Emerald Fennell was made available to everyone on Hot Key Books’ blogger mailing list when they joined NetGalley recently. I hadn’t heard of it before and so I didn’t really have any plans to read it anytime soon but after finishing Night Film by Marisha Pessl (which was fantastic, but quite a serious book) I was in the mood for something a bit l
Brittany (UnderTheRadarBooks)
This book has one of the most interesting protagonists I have ever read. It is thrilling and disturbing; exploring the darkest corners of humanity. Highly recommended.
megs╰(*´︶`*)╯♡
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I've been trying to wrap my head around this for a few days now, and trying to pick the right words to describe my feelings and this book. I love Miles, I love his character. He's creepy, but I adore him. The way he was fascinated by something that happened to the narrator (I won't spoil) was so so odd and weird but, I loved it. I loved the way the narrator said things. I love the way the author wrote this book.

I don't recommend this book to kids though, because without them directly
Maddie
Oct 31, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: stand-alones, ukya, arcs
I'm sorry to say, I really, really didn't like this book. It reminded me of how I felt reading the first 80 pages of 'The Wasp Factory', before I got too grossed out to carry on. Not for me, but if you're looking for something gritty and slightly mentally scarring, look no further than 'Monsters'.

(I love Emerald Fennell, though.)
Jessica
Jul 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very nearly a 5 star! This one genuinely surprised me. Sinister, original, and creepy as shit.

A young adult story centred around a troubled, spiteful child, witnessing a string of murders whilst spending the holidays by the sea with her aunt and uncle. This book is hard to categorise as although I guess it's aimed at older children, it's almost adult in its execution.

I really enjoyed the writing. The fact that such disturbing things are thought of by a young girl, but are written about so nonc
Patricia Kaiser
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
Maybe I just don’t get it, but I did not like this book. When I bought it, I expected something like ‘Flavia de Luce’…a teenager who solves crimes but what I got was something completely different: a story about two very disturbed and morbid kids! So sorry to say that neither story nor characters appealed to me and to be honest, I was glad when the last page of this novel was read!
Ellie
Jul 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Is this a story of two budding sociopaths or just a couple of kids with an interest in the macabre? That’s up to you to decide. I thought Miles showed more signs of sociopathy than the narrator (I apologise if she has a name but I can’t for the life of me remember it). The fact that the narrator hasn’t the same social constraints as the adults, and shares some of her less savoury thoughts, means the pages are scattered with a dark humour.

The story feels as if it’s from a different er
Jul 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Written like a children's book, looks like a children's book, definitely not a children's book.
Claire
I didn’t know what to expect from Monsters when I started it. I’ve had it on my review pile for a while.

I loved the setting of Fowey. I imagined the quintessential seaside town with the little independent boutique shops and local museums. I loved the idea of Mr Queen’s sweetshop, I could feel my poor teeth rotting at the thought of it! But this little unassuming coastal town is packed with rather interesting characters from the mayor down to the local business people and beyond.
Powered  by Reading
Sep 16, 2015 rated it did not like it
I received a copy of this book from the publishers via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This book is described as darkly comic. It is certainly dark. It is not comic. The first few chapters were entertaining, and I thought I was going to enjoy it, but as it progressed I found it more and more disturbing. I'm really not sure who this book is for. The main protagonist is age 12 but it certainly isn't for that age group, despite the retro cover reminiscent of Enid Blyton type
Oct 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Monsters is a young adults book but is also a great read for adults.

I have to say I found Monsters a very surprising read. In a good way.

As the story is told from the point of view of a 12 year old girl and as an adult, some parts actually shocked me but yet had me laughing as I just loved how blunt she was. Having lost her parents, she doesn't hold anything back when she tells people how they died.

I don't actually remember seeing the girls name mentioned once in the story, which i
Clare Snow
So that certainly is monstrous. Not sure what Du Maurier would think of this Fowey.

But she would applaud the cleverness of the reader never knowing Miss Protag's name. Rebecca has this, by using protag's married name Mrs Weston. In the Skin of a Monster uses 2nd
Alexandra
Dec 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
a few hours have passed by since i finished this one so i've had some time to reflect on how i feel. initially, i planned on giving it 5 stars because it was such a crazy ride, and so completely different from how i expected it to be.

like i knew it would be dark, because the back says "two children you would never want to meet.
the beach.
the sea.
a body.
and then another.

a girl.
a boy.
and a summer holiday unlike any other.

so i knew it wouldn't be all s"two
Rosy
Aug 18, 2015 rated it did not like it
This review was written for The Review Diaries
You can read the full review here

Thanks to Netgalley and Hot Key Books for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review

The blurb intrigued me, but sadly it seemed to vastly over-estimate the comedy in this book. It wasn’t a dark comic tale, it was just dark. And twisted. And quite frankly horrific in places.

I am obviously not the intended audience, but with characters that have no redeeming qualities and aren’t even remotely likeable I’/>Thanks
Jenny  (hades2) (Chocolate Chunky Munkie)
You can see the full review at Chocolate Chunky Munkie blog

My, what a dark and intriguing book this was. Loved the narration through the eyes of the girl who is 12 year old. It had the most darkly comical moments, I just had to finish this to see where the story was going to end, and find out who had committed these murders. I was not disappointed!

I'm not going to delve into the plot too much as I just don't want to spoil anything about this gem of a book. It makes you forget ju
Bruce Gargoyle
Ten Second Synopsis:
A loner girl with an interest in murderers meets a loner boy with a similar interest in the macabre. Together they half-hearted lay attempt to solve the mystery of multiple murders in a seaside town, while surrounded by creeps of all persuasions.

Monsters gives you exactly what it says on the tin: Murderous minors, suspect elders and some seriously twisted behaviour. The unnamed young narrator is reasonably unlikeable – although as the story progressed I did
Kirsti
Sep 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
Well, safe to say I adored this book! Absolutely not for children though. It was dark and twisted and therefore highly appealing to my own slightly twisted mind.

Right from the first quote before the story, I was intrigued 'What do two monsters do when they pass each other in the forest? Smile' It set the entire tone for this one, and throughout the book I couldn't help remembering it. There are monsters within!

While the protagonists are young, this didn't detract from the story at a
Kate
This was one hell of a page turner. It starts with a great hook that established the main character really well. The whole murder mystery/detective thing was great and the ending went where I thought it was going but ended on a note I didn't quite expect. I really enjoyed it.

It's dark, showing a side of people they usually like to keep hidden, what they get up to behind closed doors. Despite the main character's obvious apathy toward anyone but Miles, you do come to feel sorry for he
Alan
Jul 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
A little different to what I was expecting, but what a page turner! A great mystery, involving two main characters. I never write a blurb as to what a story is about, as I don't wish to spoil for others. I do recommend to all and I do hope to read more books by this author.

So pleased to have won this book in this Goodreads First Reads Giveaway.
Loren Cafferty
Jun 14, 2017 rated it liked it
I just can't decide! I finished it super quick and there's no doubt the plot and the descriptions of Fowey are brilliant. However, is it intentionally written like a YA book - does that add to the undoubted blackness of the humour? Or is the writer just better at YA fiction and this foray just doesn't quite work.
Love the cover! Laughed a lot.
Philippa
Sep 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fav-books-2015
Aahhhh this book is so good and I'm so sad it's over. Imagine a mix of Dahl, Blyton and Christie with undertones of Hot Fuzz. 5 stars!
Beth Hall
Jun 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
A great read, even if the ending felt a little unrealistic and rushed.
Angela Moore Garden Tea Cakes and Me
Monsters by Emerald Fennell, is a well written black comedy, a dark and disturbing book ❤ ✒
It features two children who meet on holiday in Cornish seaside town of Fowey, with a very unhealthy interest when a local woman is murdered.
Written in the style of a children's book that is very definitely for adults.

We meet the 12 year old narrator of this story, a troubled young orphaned girl with an unsettled upbringing. She worried me a great deal when I started this book and then she me
Christie
Apr 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
What would you get if you mixed Enid Blyton with Stephen King? I think you’d probably get Monsters by Emerald Fennell.

Monsters is the story of a twelve-year-old girl who has spent the last three summers at her Aunt Maria and Uncle Frederick’s crumbling seaside hotel because her “parents got smushed to death in a boating accident.” The unnamed narrator now resides with her maternal grandmother and “During the summer holidays, Granny always decides she has enough of me…” That’s how she ends up in Fowery/>
Rachael Eyre
Oct 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Angela
Sep 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Emerald Fennell, of Call The Midwife fame, has created an engaging and rather edgy story for Teenagers/Young Adults. I was a little surprised that by the end of the book we haven't learned the protagonist's name.

Briefly this is a humorous, and at times rather sickening, tale of a boy and a girl spending the school summer holidays in Fowey, a Cornish seaside town, she living at her aunt and uncle's hotel, he on a two week holiday staying with his mother at their hotel. Both children a
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Close Your Eyes
  • The Big Lie
  • Birdy
  • Jolly Foul Play (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #4)
  • The Curious Tale of the Lady Caraboo
  • Mystery & Mayhem: Twelve Deliciously Intriguing Mysteries
  • Death or Ice Cream
  • The Book of Storms (The Book of Storms Trilogy, #1)
  • Land
  • Gifted (Gifted, #1)
  • Girl in the Window
  • The Black North
  • Running Girl (Garvie Smith Mystery, #1)
  • All of the Above
  • Othergirl
  • The Deadly 7
  • Our Lady of the Streets (The Skyscraper Throne, #3)
  • Beyond The Wall
Emerald is a writer and an actress (Call the Midwife). She lives in London with a very quiet ghost. She is the daughter of jewellery designer Theo and author Louise Fennell. Her sister is fashion designer Coco Fennell.

Internet Movie Database: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2193504/
“Sometimes murderers just do not murder the right person, which is a shame...” 3 likes
“The whole place smells of dried flowers and burnt egg, and there isn’t a nail or picture hook in the entire hotel that doesn’t have a few dusty sprigs of old Christmas tinsel caught on it all year round.” 0 likes