Start by marking “Girl From Above: Betrayal (The 1000 Revolution, #1)” as Want to Read:
Girl From Above: Betrayal (The 1000 Revolution, #1)

Girl From Above: Betrayal

(The 1000 Revolution #1)

Older cover edition of ASIN B00VR14IUY

"My name is #1001, and I am not ready to die." I’d only just begun to live.

When Captain Caleb Shepperd is released from prison, all he wants to do is keep his head down and earn a living smuggling illegal cargo through the nine systems. So when a synth stows away on his ship, and brings with her a crap-ton of problems, including guilt
Published April 21st 2015 (first published April 1st 2015)
Featured Notes & Highlights

To ask other readers questions about Girl From Above, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Girl From Above

Start your review of Girl From Above: Betrayal (The 1000 Revolution, #1)
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Previous rating: 8 pathetic little stars.
New rating: 10 stars. Give or take give a star or two three.

And the moral of this reread is: any book that opens with its heroine punching a pen in someone's eye socket is automatically worth 10+ stars, if you ask me.

And the other moral of this reread is: "System fault. Failsafe disabled. Protocols breached" =

Yes, this is indeed me in my, um, monkey suit. Pretty hot, huh?

[June 2015]

Previous rating: 5 pathetic little stars.
New rating: 8 stars. That
Navessa
Oct 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi

TOO GOOD TO REVIEW. NEED NEXT. NOW.

Simona B
"She's only just begun."

Good. God. Good. God.

It was love at first sight. Un colpo di fulmine. Un flechazo (see, Fran? Spanish!). And if I knew how to say this in other languages too, I would. Wait, I can also tell you something similar in my local dialect: Mi fici perdiri a testa.
My knowledge really ends here though.

And now, onto the completely useless and disconnected sort-of-comment review!

•The characters. I don't really know why I am even trying to write something logical here because evey pr
Jilly
Jul 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
I wasn't too sure about this until about the halfway point, then it really got interesting. And, all of the things revealed towards the end? Blew my mind. So very good.

Robots have feelings too.
Robin (Bridge Four)
4.25 “Nice? Nice is nothing. Nice is bland. Nice is the morning after when you can’t remember her name.” Stars

I flew through this. Pippa DaCosta is becoming a favorite author of mine even if she doesn’t seem to believe in the conventional happily ever after and most of her characters are a bit broken but never Mary or Stu Sue.

Caleb is the smuggler pilot down on his luck who might fix a problem you’re having for the right price. Fran is his co-pilot sidekick who loves to tease him and never pleas
Angela
Sep 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Angela by: Navessa
19 November 2015: $0.99 on Kindle!!

I feel awkward reviewing this because it's not an entire story. It's the beginning of the story. It does have a nice arc - for which I'm thankful - but it's so clearly just the start that I almost want to wait until I've read the next 2 books (which should finish it out, I hope) before I review and grade it. The ending can make a huge difference in how I feel about the earlier sections. However, this part of the story still made a really big impression on me an
Marla Mei
I JUST FINISHED THIS AND IT DID NOT DISAPPOINT. Thank you book for being made of KICK-ASS and AWESOME. <3 I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE SEQUEL I NEED IT NOW

Review to come.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
OMG SEX, DRUGS AND VIOLENCE I WANT THEM ALL GIVE 'EM TO ME!!! PLEASE BE AWESOME BOOK I BEG OF YOU.
Sԋҽʅʅყ ƚԋҽ Wҽιɾԃ αɳԃ Wαɳԃҽɾιɳɠ Wαɾɾισɾ
This novella had an interesting premise. Very rich people pay to be "injected" into synthetic bodies after death. They are sort of like advanced robots with real blood running in their veins, along with memories of their past lives. This story is about synthetic #1001, who goes against her "programming" and gets caught up with someone she knew from her past life.

Caleb is the captain of the ship she ends up on and Fran is his pilot and second-in-command. There was a lot of fun sci-fi action, but
Pippa DaCosta
Apr 30, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Re-Reading in preparation for Book #6 - out May 8th!

Heather Blair
Mar 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Re-read, 7/19/19 *Even better the 2nd time around!*

4.5 screaming stars!

Well then...jumping right in....

There are no good guys here, no good gals...hell, most of the people in this little tale run the gamut between morally ambigious to morally repugnant. Except one...and she's not human.

Or is she?

Caleb is the down-and-out captain of a starship. He has a 2nd in command he'd dearly love to get on her back and a past he's buried under the rubble of the soul he never had. When he finds a synth stow-
Milda Page Runner
Pulp action-adventure sci-fi. It’s supposed to be an exciting mix of Firefly, Ex_Machina and Blade Runner, to which I could also add Ketty Jay and Sirantha Jax – meaning it’s full of tropes and familiar characters. I wouldn’t look for deep thoughts or original ideas here. Worldbuilding is non-existent, characterisation sketchy and there is certainly no science in this fiction.
As a no-brain entertainment though it’s not bad. POVs swap smoothly, pacing is good, one event follows another and befor
1st read - June 2015
2nd read - July 2019

There are only 1000 synths in existence, these highly advanced synthetic humans can be purchased the super rich so that their memories and consciousness can be transferred to the synth when they die. But if only 1000 of them were created who is #1001, where did she come from and why is she so different to the others? #1001 wants to live, she's managed to escape captivity and she has a plan but is it a coincidence that it's Caleb's ship that she ends up on?
Cathy
Jun 10, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I finished Pippa DaCosta's Beyond The Veil, but it was a struggle. I decided to give her another chance, but this was similar. The beginning was entertaining and not badly written, I liked the plot idea and the characters. But somewhere around the midway point my interest ran out and I spent a whole week reading fanfiction instead. I had to force myself to pick this up again and finish it.

I am not quite sure what my problem was. I went into this with very low expectations anyhow and was pleasant
Catherine
Fan-freakin-tastic. The only reason I took off one star is because this feels like a serial to me and I HATE SERIALS. Just release all the parts as one damn book and charge me a little more.

I love characters like this. Where there is plenty to love AND hate about them. Morally ambiguous is REAL LIFE SHIT. I love it. I LOVE IT! Now I'm off to buy part two and then I'll have to wait for part three which pisses me right off.
Emma
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
4.5 stars. This was great! I only really like character driven sci fi and this was. It was like a cross between I Robot and Firefly. I’ve read several of Pippa Da Costa’s fantasy, but let me tell you: she does sci fi just as well if not better. Next!
Beige
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: zread-1-scifi
2.5 'wished-I-loved-it-more' stars

I'm a big fan of Pippa, especially her Veil series. I also love a good sci fi, but unfortunately I just couldn't connect with these characters. I'm sure it's just me as many other folks rave about this series. Don't let my rating put you off, give Pippa a try!
mith
i love the new covers so much more lol
---
Actual rating: 3.5
Y'know, the concept of futuristic societies in space isn't all the original. Neither are robots. So I didn't really expect anything from this book. But, I've only read so many science fiction novels in my young lifetime, so what can I really say about originality?
This book, it's hard to explain for me. Basically, you have two main characters in play: a synth, #1001, and a smuggler, Caleb.
Synths are their world's robots. Made by Chitec,
Feminista
This should not be a romance.

I think the title Betrayal is very fitting.

The so called hero is a coward and a murderer by association who did it to get ahead in life.

I am glad he was duped by the actual murderer. Left alone to rot.

(view spoiler)
Hiba
"My name is #1001, and I am not ready to die. I’d only just begun to live."
Well, this novella was just kinda 'meh'. It has an interesting premises and I think other books in the series will be much better but this was just underwhelming. This is fairly short, so there isn't much room for character development, but both of the main characters have potential to be amazing.

Caleb Shepherd is a military captain turned to smuggler. He transfer goods for oranization named as 'Nine' on a sta
Maria Dimitrova
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, pippa-dacosta
A gritty, realistic sci-fi brought to you by the great Pippa DaCosta! After reading this I kind of want to see her try her hand at historical romance. Just so I can see if she can do anything wrong.

The main idea behind the synthetics is not something original but as usual Ms. DaCosta takes the cliche and demolishes all preconceptions. I saw most of the twists before they happened but I'm chalking that up to my familiarity with some of her other works. I'm pretty sure it was a fluke however and
Marguerite (M)
Clean that TBR already!
Shelved in October 2016 (which doesn't show anymore because of the change of edition)~

Rating : 4 stars

Wow.
This book is an explosive cocktail of complicated and fucked up characters.
Celestine
Pippa DaCosta's Girl From Above: Betrayal isn't a romance, but it is a love story. The aptly descriptive blurb calls this book an "action-packed story of love, redemption and revenge." At first the reader is lulled into believing adorable scoundrel Capt. Caleb Shepperd is a horn-dog version of Han Solo or Firefly's Mal Reynolds. DaCosta made him think things like, "Her black tank top left little to the imagination, which was fortuitous, given that I didn't have one." He was crass enough that I b ...more
Stephanie (Bookfever)
"My name is #1001, and I am not ready to die. I’d only just begun to live."

So this book? It was really good. I can't say I have read many books in this genre in my life (though lately I've been getting more into it) but this has got to be in my top three of best sci-fi books.

Girl From Above: Betrayal follows Caleb, a captain who has been released from prison who's trying to keep a low profile and #1001, a synth, who is not meant to excist, as there are only supposed to be 1000 synthetic hum
Sharon L
Jun 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, 4-2015
"The storm still raged. And nothing had changed, except there was one less man in the world. "

This book is made of awesome. Really, I was a little skeptic at the beginning but after a few chapters in I knew this was going to be good.

So naturally, I became alert- I was waiting for the book to screw up, and I knew excatly how it would happen. You see, #1001 is a synthetich human being- she follows orders. Which is why I was sure I would not grow to like her, also, I was sure I would not grow to
Marianne

“I used to believe stars were wishes, that if we reached for them, our dreams would come true. But the stars will always be out of reach, and no amount of dreaming will capture them. I wish… I wish we had more time. I wish we had forever. I wish you loved me.”

Want sci-fi with some real zing? Then Pippa’s newest offering; Girl From Above (The 1000 Revolution) just might be the book for you. This novel(la) ticks all the right boxes for a great space opera. This is a story of love gone wrong, of
Dana aka ♥Belladonna♥
A-MAZ-ING!! 5 Stars!

I absolutely loved this book. It's as if Blade Runner, Firefly, and Ex_Machina had a baby named The 1000 Revolution! My inner geek-girl was bouncing up and down in delight.

awesome photo 714093_zpstn9nek3i.gif

DaCosta has moved in a totally new direction with this series - not only with the genre, but with style and tone as well. This book is darker, grittier, and more adult than her previous work to date. The plot and pace were swift; just as one secret is revealed another appears, keeping the dramatic tens
Milica
Jan 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
19/04 Free on Amazon.

I used to believe stars were wishes, that if we reached them, our dreams would come true. But the stars will always be out of reach, and no amount of dreaming will capture them.

Captain Caleb Shepperd, ex-fleet star in rising, is smuggler, occasionally a fixer and constant jackass. For five years now he’s been smuggling all kinds of illegal cargo through the nine systems, earning a living and staying mostly under the radar. When he finds unwanted passenger on his ship it see

• Brothers in Exile (Sons of the Starfarers, #1)
  • Evolution Commandos:  Well of Furies
  • Between Mountain and Sea: Paradisi Chronicles (Caelestis Series #1)
  • Daybreak (Girl from the Stars, #1)
  • Quantum Tangle (Sethran Kada, #1)
  • The Heaviness of Knowing (Conscious Dreamer #1)
  • Diving into the Wreck (Diving Universe, #1)
  • Lightwave: Clocker (Folding Space #1)
  • Cold Solar (Cold Solar #1)
  • Wanderer's Escape (Wanderer's Odyssey, #1)
  • Rogue Stars: 7 Novels of Space Exploration and Adventure
  • Sub-Human (Post-Human, #1)
  • Emergence (Dark Tide #1)
  • Carrie Hatchett, Space Adventurer (Carrie Hatchett, Space Adventurer #1-3)
  • Oasis (The Last Humans, #1)
  • Fall to Earth (Pillars of Fire and Light, #1)
  • Starshine (Aurora Rising #1; Amaranthe #1)
  • Hard Duty (Merkiaari Wars, #1)
Born in Kent UK, two-time DragonCon Finalist & Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award semi-finalist--- "Wait a second. Let's cut to the chase. I write kick-ass urban fantasy & sci-fi novels with conflicted characters, breathless action, and no-holds-barred dialogue. My books may not leave you feeling all fluffy and warm inside, but they will excite you. There will be plot-twists, angst, probably a few de ...more

The 1000 Revolution (7 books)
  • Escape (The 1000 Revolution, #2)
  • Trapped (The 1000 Revolution, #3)
  • Trust (The 1000 Revolution, #4)
  • Deliverance (The 1000 Revolution, #5)
  • Resistance (The 1000 Revolution, #6)
  • Vengeance (1000 Revolution, #7)

News & Interviews