Start by marking “Marcus (Hell Squad, #1)” as Want to Read:
Marcus (Hell Squad, #1)

Marcus

(Hell Squad #1)

In the aftermath of a deadly alien invasion, a band of survivors fights on…

In a world gone to hell, Elle Milton—once the darling of the Sydney social scene—has carved a role for herself as the communications officer for the toughest commando team fighting for humanity’s survival—Hell Squad. It’s her chance to make a difference and make up for horrible past mistakes…despi
Published April 19th 2015

To ask other readers questions about Marcus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Marcus

Start your review of Marcus (Hell Squad, #1)
Evgeny
Apr 06, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Future Earth population was enjoying good peaceful life until one fateful day an alien invasion occurred. The aliens were interesting: they were what out own dinosaurs would evolve if they have not died off. So yes, their T-Rex was their equivalent of our Rambo.
T-Rex

In any way, the aliens happily proceeded to exterminate humans. The main group of survivors gathered at an underground military facility near what remained of Sidney. The military people tried to help other survivors reach the safety and
bella farren
4.5/5 stars

reread:
29/10/17
17/10/18

A post apocalyptic, alien invasion romance set in Australia? Sign me the hell up.

A freaking bomb, post apocalyptic, alien invasion romance set in Australia? YASSSSSS GURL

I love me some ridiculous romance, and this just hit the spot. It was filled with alpha males and strong woman, who made the best of the situation and kicked ass doing it. The story was addicting, action packed, and super easy to fall into. There was no information dumps or confusion with the
CC
Mar 27, 2017 rated it really liked it

Good start to the series. Pretty unique world. I appreciated the creativity.
For a shorter story I thought it was a pretty well done. I cannot say I LOVE it but I am committed enough to jump into the next book

Safety gang (view spoiler)
Marta Cox
Aug 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-reviews
Ok so I admit that most of the sci fi romance I read tends to feature hunky aliens but this author has taken two humans as her lead characters and given her readers quite a creditable story with a hero who is both protective and totally badass! In a world that has been invaded by aliens that sort of resemble prehistoric creatures but are completely lucid and aware of their brutality we meet the survivors fighting to reclaim their land. Hardly any of humanity survived the initial attacks but thos ...more
Angela (Angel's Guilty Pleasures)
Marcus is book one in the Hell Squad series by Anna Hackett.

This was a great start to the series. I wasn’t sure if I’d enjoy this title, because I’m not a big fan of the post-apocalypse world, but I soon found myself engaged and entertained.

The world was invaded by dinosaur-like Aliens and not the friendly type. These aliens almost killed off humanity and now what is left are banding together and trying to find a way to end the invaders. It’s war. Humanity’s last chance.

Marcus is the leader of H
Tink Magoo is bad at reviews

Lots of action, tension, aliens, hot soldiers and steamy sex.

Not my usual read, but I really enjoyed it.
Lala
Apr 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this story, it has all the elements I like, sci fi,strong characters, solid story-line, action-packed and swoon worthy hot romance. I can't wait to read the next installment!
Maida»-(¯`v´¯)-»

RATING: 3.5 Quick, Sexy & Fun Hearts!! :)
Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog)
This is the first book in Anna Hackett’s action packed Hell Squad series. In Marcus we are introduced to a brand new Earth, where aliens have invaded and humans are barely surviving. But humanity still has some fight left and a rebel force has formed. Hell Squad is one of the teams that go out on missions to destroy the enemy and save as many survivors as they can. Each member of the team fight their own demons as well as the dinosaur like aliens who are trying to destroy Earth.

Marcus is Hell Sq
Rachael*Caribbean*girl*bibliophile
Spoilers

A new take on the end of civilization as we know it. Aliens have invaded,weird raptor/humanoid aliens.Survivors have come together and battle against these intelligent creatures for their very survival. Marcus is hell squad's leader and Elle is their comm specialist,the attraction was simmering between them until she was in danger then Marcus showed his alpha male side and they start something that has been brewing since they first saw each other. Minor pushing away by Marcus as he think
Ashleyjo
Jul 16, 2015 rated it liked it
I realize that romance mixed with aliens in a post apocalyptic world isn't everyone's flavor of literature. But, this type of story happens to be one of my very guilty pleasures... Sssshhhh, don't tell;)

So, of course, if aliens and a dystopian/ post apocalyptic type world isn't your thing, then you aren't going to like the book and it's best to just move on along.

If you do dig it, then this book has a decent storyline with lots of action, a nice little romance, some interesting characters for
Pamela
For a novel that's only 148 pages, this one packs a punch, and sexy alpha-male soldiers. The author does a terrific job of weaving a sci-fi thriller full of action and romance. Talk about intriguing characters, the protagonists and supporting characters that make the story come alive. I loved them all, especially the protagonists. Marcus and Elle have been denying their feelings for one another. However, when they finally kiss their passion explodes. Though not descriptive, the sexcapades are st ...more
Hollie
This was an ok sci-fi read. Here's my breakdown:

Pros:
* Offered as a freebie on Amazon
* No angst or unnecessary drama
* I liked the hero - he wasn’t a manwhore and was smitten and protective of the heroine

Cons:
* I wanted a little more with the aliens - the encounters involving them was limited (they were the villains in this read, not the romantic interest etc.)
* It was overly predictable and very cliché

Overall, I doubt this will be a series I personally continue. I like sci-fi alien reads but thi
Chappy
4.5 woohoo!!! stars

I'm so glad I gave this series and new-to-me author a shot; I'm very impressed.

Elle has worked hard to become an asset to team hell-squad. Her dedication and smarts really pays off. Now if she can only catch Marcus' eye.

Marcus is a soldier down to the core. He wants to protect people and destroy the raptor threat. Too bad he doesn't think he's good enough for Elle.
☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎
Good start

Well I wasn't sure how I was going to like this book but I really enjoyed how two total opposites attracted. Marcus is a kick-ass alpha male where Elle is or was the timid previous party girl who didn't see herself worthy but since the invasion. There has been so much change in both characters and can't wait to read about Cruz and his mysterious Santha.
Just Josie
5 "Let's go to hell " -stars!!

Short yes, but I freaking loved it!

It is very rare I come across an action romance that actually delivers! It was fast paced, well put together, and I enjoyed the characters as well as the writing.

So what happens? The world has ended. Aliens have invaded earth and we follow survivors from the attack. More precisely Elle and Marcus.

Elle is absolutely likeable. Sweet and stubborn .

Marcus, total alpha male, leader of the Hell Squad and just amazing!

Normally when I
Jen
Jul 20, 2015 rated it it was ok
Look, I'm not generally one for straight up romance, it's just... not for me. But then I found myself 5 hours into a 10 hour flight having just finished one book and the cabin lights were still dimmed and this little eBook was sitting there on my Kindle... And, well, it turns out even an apocalyptic post alien invasion setting isn't enough to make romance a thing for me. Apparently I need characters to have a least half a personality and the plot to be even a little bit complex. Honestly I would ...more
Teri
Mar 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.5-4 stars
I did like this. I enjoyed the characters, it was a pretty quick read, and while I did enjoy the dynamics of the group, I wish for more. I will read more of this story. I liked Marcus and Elle together.
Jacqueline J
Oct 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Decent short post apocalyptic read. An alien invasion caused the apocalypse here. Seemed fairly well thought out. No in depth characterization but then, it was short.
Susan (susayq ~)
Interesting start to this series. We've got humans on Earth who have survived an alien invasion and are fighting to live against them. I've not read anything like this before. I liked it :)

Under the Covers Book Blog

Marcus is Hel
Paraphrodite
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listened, 2018
4 stars.

This is the sort of story I enjoyed at the moment. Equal amount of action and romance with a hard as nails hero and a vulnerable, yet brave heroine.

I was also surprised by the setting, based in a post-alien invaded Sydney, of what used to be the shiny Capital of the United Coalition. Now, desolated and destroyed. Made me sad when the Hell Squad battled reptilian aliens in familiar-sounding places and streets around an apocalyptic Sydney.

Just a couple of off-notes for me:
1. The constant
Aure, The Bored of the Quarantine
I mean.. I don't know what I've expected... Probably something more than what I've got. It's a nice read to push time, but don't expect to grow with this book.
This actually angers me. There are so many just like this one. This story is not one of a kind, most romance novels aren't. But what angers me the most is that the author didn't even try to make it one of a kind. It's like baking a pie from the bag of flour mix, that has all the ingredients already in it and all you need to do is add some
Jackie  Kiwibooknerd
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
A friend recommended this. I never thought I would enjoy it as sci fi is sooo not my thing. But I ended up really enjoying it... It is currently free on Amazon and well worth checking out!!!
Megan Riverina Romantics
Rating: 4/5
Heat Rating: 3/5
Narrator Performance: Female: 4.5/5 Male: 5/5
Judy Lewis
Jul 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
DARKEST BEFORE THE DAWN !!!
Title: Marcus
Series: Hell Squad
Designation: Book One, Sci-Fi Alien Invasion Romance
Author: Anna Hackett
My Rating: FIVE HEART-POUNDING STARS *****
Wow! This is my first time reading Hackett's work and I must say, I'm impressed! How in the world have I not heard about Anna Hackett before now??? I don't know but I'm so glad that I finally found her and the Hell Squad Series. I adore romance, I'm addicted to adventure and I love science fiction but it's just so darn hard to
Alex (HEABookNerd)
Series: Hell Squad #1
Rating: 5 stars - loved it!

The human race is on the brink of extinction after an alien species, resembling raptors, invades Earth. A group of survivors have taken sanctuary at an old military base in the Blue Mountains of Australia but they aren't content to just survive. Squads of men and women go out every day to fight the raptors and rescue other humans. Elle Milton has it bad for Hell Squad's leader Marcus Steele but he just want her off the team. When a mission requires
Ashley (Red-Haired Ash Reads)
In the aftermath of a deadly alien invasion, a group of survivors fight to win the planet back. Elle Milton, once a socialite, has made a new role for herself as communications officer for toughest teams fighting for survival - Hell Squad. Marcus Steele is a protector. He fights to give the human race a chance to survive, which includes Elle, the one woman who he can’t stop thinking about.

“When you’re with someone, you’re supposed to lean on them. Share how you feel. In the good times and the b
 Rosebud
Earth has been invaded by reptilian dinosaur aliens who are systematically killing off humans as they rob our planet of all natural resources. Earth's last and only hope lies with small rebel cells who have mounted an offensive, hoping to drive them off the planet before all of humanity is lost.

One such cell is Squad Six, aka Hell Squad, who's mantra Hell Squad, ready to go to hell? Hell yeah, the devil needs an ass-kicking serves as a battle cry for this elite team of soldiers.

Elle Milton, th
Tami
Jan 06, 2017 rated it did not like it
I liked the world building, the idea of the setting. The Alien invasion, the underground battle station, the last stand the humans are making, the reptile/dinosaur Aliens etc.

Then the romance happened. And it was cliche-ridden, stupid, too fast and boring. It had bad non-sexy sex scenes, OTT Alpha-macho bullshit (including ripping apart of t-shirts to undress his sexy temptress quicker...urghhh), unnecessary guilt trips and so on.
There was no falling in love, the hero and heroine already had a

• Tamed (Tribute Brides Of The Drexian Warriors, #1)
  • Taking on Tory (Magic, New Mexico, #2)
  • Torment (Barbarians of the Sand Planet #3)
  • Bounty (Barbarians of the Sand Planet #1)
  • A Very Arcav Christmas (Arcav Alien Invasion, #5)
  • Claimed (Fated Mates of the Kalixian Warriors, #1)
  • Tribute (Barbarians of the Sand Planet #4)
  • Caveman Alien's Secret (Caveman Aliens, #6)
  • Passion Surge (Cyborg Space Exploration #4)
  • The Arcav Commander's Human (Arcav Alien Invasion, #2)
  • Brhex (Obosian Warriors #2)
  • Dark Planet Warriors: The Complete Serial (Dark Planet Warriors, #1)
  • Rekker (Vaznik Warriors, #1)
  • The Arcav Prince's Captive (Arcav Alien Invasion, #4)
  • Fire in His Veins (Fireblood Dragons, #6)
  • Zhadra (Obosian Warriors #1)
  • The Arcav Captain's Queen (Arcav Alien Invasion, #6)
  • Camron (Sectors New Allies, #7)
I’m a USA Today bestselling romance author who’s passionate about fast-paced, emotion-filled contemporary and science-fiction romance. I love writing about people overcoming unbeatable odds and achieving seemingly impossible goals. I like to believe it’s possible for all of us to do the same.

I love hearing from readers and you can inf me on Facebook, Instagram and my website: www.annahackett.com

Hell Squad (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Cruz (Hell Squad, #2)
  • Gabe (Hell Squad, #3)
  • Reed (Hell Squad, #4)
  • Roth (Hell Squad, #5)
  • Noah (Hell Squad, #6)
  • Shaw (Hell Squad, #7)
  • Holmes (Hell Squad, #8)
  • Niko (Hell Squad, #9)
  • Finn (Hell Squad, #10)
  • Devlin (Hell Squad, #11)