Start by marking “Lurking in the Deep (Lurking series, #1)” as Want to Read:
Lurking in the Deep (Lurking series, #1)

Lurking in the Deep

(Lurking #1)

Does the water beckon you? Your love, or fears, may become greater in this chilling anthology. From ordinary sea life to creatures of myth, our stories will make you think twice about the shadowy waters that beckon below. Follow our authors into the depths … if you dare.

Works include:

Bloodslick by Timothy Black
Crescent’s Creature by K.C. Finn
Wrath by Liz Butcher
A Senseless
Published May 7th 2015 by Crushing Hearts and Black Butterfly Publishing (first published May 5th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Lurking in the Deep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lurking in the Deep

Jacqueline Smith
Apr 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I love this anthology! I have always been drawn to the ocean, ever since I was a little girl, so I knew immediately that this was going to be a book for me. I am fortunate enough to be one of the contributing authors, and after finally getting the opportunity to read the other stories in this collection, I have to say I am so honored to be a part of such a beautiful and treasured project. The authors with whom I have had the privilege to write side by side are immensely and wonderfully talented. ...more
Gina Watson
Apr 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)

I am a contributing author to the Lurking in the Deep anthology; this review will be based on the stories of all the other contributing authors. I have been this copy in exchange for an honest review.
Lurking in the Deep is a collection of 16 amazing stories by 16 equally amazing and talented authors. Each story chosen for this anthology has all different aspects of water creatures and the deep. The stories will captivate you and each one is continuously page turning. I could not keep my eyes aw
Lisette Brodey
May 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: anthologies
I really enjoyed this anthology of stories about the fear of water and the many fantasies so many of us have about what exists in the depths we cannot see. The stories were really terrific and well chosen. I loved reading each author’s unique approach on a single theme, while simultaneously imagining my own scenarios.

Lurking in the Deep is a great anthology from several talented authors. It’s a great read, but be careful … you may be surprised by what you find lurking beneath the cover.
Kristin Dutt
May 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a brilliant anthology of various authors all with very different tales. I have to say each story is very different and you may find one you particular love out of all of them but I personally think there all great and of course all relating to the deep beautiful (or maybe not) seas.

If I had to really pick one I enjoyed the most I would go with Lauren by Terry Alexander but in all honesty I did enjoy each of them and all these authors have very different styles and ideas.

I would highly re
Shelly Schulz
Apr 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Lurking in the Deep is an oceanic themed anthology that features amazing stories by some really talented authors. The stories are well written, have great characters, strong voices and are overall really great. Each story tackles the ocean in a different way, some re-imagining stories of old, some bring mythical creatures to life, and others reveal the true horror that lurks beneath the surf. It is a great read with stories that will draw the reader in, and not let them go. I highly recommend it ...more
Joy Whiteside
May 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading this book and I could not put it down until I finished the very last word. It moved along at an amazing pace, has incredible characters that you will feel as though you have known forever and a story that will keep you interested and entertained from beginning to end. This book needs to be on your TBR list there is no doubt about it. You will not be sorry that you did so.
Ben Ditmars
Apr 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Lurking in the Deep is an anthology of water and fear. I enjoyed most of the stories, but had favorites: The Water’s Edge, The Reluctant Seamstress, Wrath, and Dark Waters were by far the most frightening. I enjoyed the dark twists and original plot in The Reluctant Seamstress, whereas the beauty of The Water’s Edge was something to be marveled. My only criticism is that though the stories are individually good, it felt there was too much emphasis on dark creatures.
Sheri
Jul 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lurking in the Deep By Jaidis Shaw

A well written collection of short stories by various talented Authors. Each story is unique and all based on the "water" either an Ocean, Lake or River. Some are new takes on old spooky tales of creatures of the sea. I enjoyed seeing how each author developed their characters, and stories. All were five star reads.

I strongly recommend Lurking in the Deep to those who love short stories, fantasy creatures, legendary creatures, new aquatic creatures and spooky s
Reader's Hollow
Apr 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
**We received a copy of this anthology in exchange for an honest review**

Reviewed by James M. @ The Reader's Hollow

Lurking in the Deep gives the reader a reason to fear the water once more. This anthology of chilling tales from the deep offers 16 stories to make the reader unsure about boarding that boat or even stepping into the bathtub. With 16 different stories from 16 authors, there is something for everyone. The unknown is always a source of fear and this anthology draws upon that.

The stor
Michelle Cornwell-Jordan
Jul 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Lurking In The Deep Anthology is an enjoyable, chilling read! The stories reminded me of lovely tales told around the fire or when among friends. Many of the stories had the lyrical quality of Folk Tales that'd been handed down through generations; some meant to warn...others to instruct...but all definitely entertained the reader!

The entire collection proved to be well written, full of twists and turns! I had a few that truly caught my attention the The Reluctant Seamstress, Widow's Cut and Cre
Cindy Veneris
Sep 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of interesting water stories, some creepier than others. A perfect read for a beachside vacation. I enjoyed reading this book.
Jasmine
Aug 27, 2015 rated it liked it
Lurking in the Deep is a collection of short stories revolving around the various things that may be hiding out in the dark depths of rivers, oceans, and other bodies of water. Most of the stories are horror, but some are a little more tame.

In all honesty, I was excited to read this collection, as the ocean does terrify me(as do most large bodies of water), and I love horror stories. However, I was a tad disappointed by this one.

There were two stories that really, really thrilled me and scared m
A. Powers
Jun 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An enjoyable collection of short stories, all revolving around the theme of creepy things you might find below the surface of the water. Oceans seem to be a common location, but rivers and even aquariums make an appearance as well!

The international cast of authors brings a variety of cultural viewpoints to this collection of stories. While there were similar types of sea monsters appearing in each of the stories (mermaids, for instance), the differences were great enough that each story was gen
Jenn
Oct 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Overall a good read. This is a collection of short stories revolving (in some way) to waters and the horrors contained in, from and around these waters. I would say I enjoyed about 80-85% of these tales. One I really disliked, but the majority were interesting. What I liked was that in some stories it incorporated a specific locations' mythos which I usually always enjoy reading about. I didn't find these too scary as I was able to read a tale at bedtime without being too scared to fall asleep : ...more
VeronicaMarie1986
Oct 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this book for free in exchange for an honest review.

Do you fear the water? No? Well, read this book and that just might change! This is a fantastic anthology of water-based horror stories, and I, for one, adored every story in it. I am a huge fan of all-things-horror as well as anthologies, and this book does not disappoint at all! I found myself completely immersed in each and every story and when it was finished couldn't wait to start the next one. I highly recommend this
Chrissy Dyer
Jan 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a fabulous collection of ocean themed stories. There were many different authors who wrote contributed and every single story was beautiful.
Georgiann Hennelly
Sep 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Lurking in the Deep is a fantastic collection of short stories written by various authors.
Each story is unique and based on either a Lake, River, or Ocean. Some are new takes on old spooky stories about Sea Creatures. Some of my favorite titles are Blood Slick by Timothy Black, Wrath by Liz Butcher, The Reluctant Seamstress by Jaidis Shaw, Widows Cut by Andrea.L. Staum. There are more authors but i only listed a few each author offers a unique look at a single theme. It's a fantastic read but i'
Heidi
Apr 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
Lurking in the Deep is an anthology of 16 short stories that tell about the frightening creatures that live in the mysterious ocean. This compelling read is complied by 17 talented authors who all tap into the Horror, Paranormal, and Fantasy genre.

I really enjoyed reading Lurking in the Deep. Some stories fascinated me like "Ribbons & Bones" by Kelly Matsuura. This story in particular is about a young boy finding something or someone who looks rather young. She looks human, but doesn't at th
Tequila
Feb 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy in exchange for an honest review.

This is a great collection of short stories that all have one thing in common-the darker side of the ocean. There's nothing cute and adorable here. Only the kinds of creatures that'll full your nightmares. Even those these are short stories, they all deliver a punch that'll leave you with chills and wondering what's really out there in the depths of the ocean.
Marianne
rated it it was ok
Dec 19, 2015
Lynda
Apr 20, 2015
Zlatan
rated it did not like it
Oct 14, 2015
Apr 05, 2017
Caroline Gargus
Mar 12, 2019
Indie Authors Mon...: Lurking in the Deep 1 9 May 10, 2015 08:21PM
Jaidis Shaw currently resides in South Carolina with her husband and beautiful children. With a passion for reading, Jaidis can always be found surrounded by books and dreaming of new stories. She enjoys challenging herself by writing in different genres and currently has several projects in the works.

Jaidis also owns and operates Juniper Grove Book Solutions, voted #1 Best Promotional Firm, Site,

Lurking (3 books)
  • Lurking in the Shadows (Lurking series, #2)
  • Lurking in the Mind (Lurking series, #3)