Start by marking “My Name Is A'yen (A'yen's Legacy #1)” as Want to Read:
My Name Is A'yen (A'yen's Legacy #1)

My Name Is A'yen

(A'yen's Legacy #1)

They've taken everything from him. Except his name.

The Loks Mé have been slaves for so long, freedom is a distant myth A'yen Mesu no longer believes. A year in holding, because of his master's murder, has sucked the life from him. Archaeologist Farran Hart buys him to protect her on an expedition to the Rim, the last unexplored quadrant.

Farran believes the Loks Mé once liv
Published May 16th 2015 by Createspace (first published September 12th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about My Name Is A'yen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Name Is A'yen

Start your review of My Name Is A'yen (A'yen's Legacy #1)
Melanie A.
3.5 STARS!
"I've been a slave all my life."
I'm firmly rounding up because this was a GREAT story!

Plot: After his beloved owner/lover of 20 years dies trying to protect him, A'yen is sent to a 'holding' facility, where he spends almost a year suffering in horrible conditions. The story begins with his purchase by a mysterious female archaeologist.

So WOW, the sci-fi world-building in this one was FABULOUS! And the story was full of secrets, lies, adventure, heartbreak, and of course,
Jo  (Mixed Book Bag)
My Name is A’yen is Rachel Smith’s first Science Fiction Romance novel and she is off to a very good start. A’yen and Farran meet the first time when she purchases him. There is no love or lust at first sight. Smith lets the two work together before any attraction develops. There are problems with that attraction. A’yen, like the rest of his race, cannot be freed. Farran’s Father keeps some of the worse breeding farms making it difficult for A’yen to trust her. While Farran is trying to find the ...more
Leyla
This book is many things...
I would describe it as a beautifully disturbing read. We sort of have a hate and love relationship. In a good way though.
description
Warning:
-Rape/ NON-CON/Abuse
-Psychological trauma
-Tortured hero

This was one of those reads that force you to experience stuff. In an intense way, like anger and frustration. Your only option is to read and hope it gets better for the MC's at some point.
description
My eyes itched a little and I got a weird feeling in my chest that made me sad and depressed.
Deb
Nov 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I started this book, I was really skeptical as to whether I would like it or not... Well, let me tell you, that this amazing new author blew me away with her debut novel and magical style of writing! ... I mainly read romance or suspense & recently started liking paranormal with shifters :)) This is my first sci-fi book in over 20 years, but the talented Ms. Smith weaves a bold, futuristic love story that grabbed a hold of me to where I would think about the story, even after I had to get b ...more
Pippa Jay
Prepare to have your heart repeatedly broken before being patched back together.

What I liked
I adore tortured heroes, and A'yen is probably the most tortured soul I've ever encountered. Just when you feel thing can't get any worse and you see a glimmer of hope, Rachel Leigh Smith has A'yen's plight tear out your heart again. Beautifully descriptive writing and a real emotional rollercoaster. Good romantic tension, and plenty of action, mystery and intrigue. The word building was multi-layered and
Arien
May 19, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, abuse, sci-fi, het, rape
Can I have a book without rape, please? Because this is not it...
Laurel
This is Rachel Smith's début novel. She asked me to proofread it before she put it up for preorder online. This means that I had no substantive input into the storyline of the book.

This has to be one of the best début novels I have read. The concept is impressive in its complexity, and Smith's writing is very clear, minimising confusion as one learns new concepts and is introduced to a society and people group that is entirely alien.

A'yen, the main character of the book, is introduced to us as a
Roseanna White
Aug 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As both a writer and an editor, all too often when I read for fun, I find myself mentally editing--not so with A'yen's Legacy. I'd been looking forward to reading this book for a long time, and when I finally sat down with it, I discovered writing that was bold and clear and full of voice, a story so compelling I had to figure out a way to prop my Kindle in the windowsill while I was doing dishes so I could keep reading, and characters so alive that I dreamed about them. A beautiful debut from R ...more
RamenGrrl
Jul 30, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nope-nope-nope
A master/slave relationship can never be equitable, neither can a relationship involving a child and an adult.
Carolyn F.
Sep 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, sfr, romance, ebook, kindle
3-1/2 stars

A little slow moving with A'yen fighting his feeling and Fae being more than patient. Also the main story pretty slow going too. I'm not sure if I'll read more of this series. With a sci-fi romance, I like a little more romance.
Kevin
Aug 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't sure what to expect from a "science fiction romance," but I enjoyed My Name Is A'yen very much and I look forward to reading the next part in the A'yen's Legacy saga.
Mireya Dejesus
Sep 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This deeply moving sci fi romance is so well written, it is hard to believe that this is Ms. Smith's freshman effort. The author builds a vivid world in which the abhorrent institution of slavery is embraced, and an entire race/culture has been subjugated since time immemorable. The story follows the travails of a slave, A'yen, who defies his station in life. He is purchased by Dr. Fae Hart, but she is not the typical slave owner. She has a hidden agenda: to discover the origins of A'yen's peopl ...more
InD'tale Magazine
“My Name is A’yen” is expansive science fiction epic. Ms. Smith draws the reader into a new world very quickly while explaining the intricacies of society along the way.

Read full review in the 2015 September issue of InD'tale Magazine.
Philipa
Apr 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Philipa by: Laurel
It took me a while to get into the story for various reasons but it hit a point (quite soon in) where I just read straight through. I felt that there were aspects to the 'darker' side of his personality that could have been explored a little deeper. Difficult topics are very sensitively dealt with. Bought and started the second book immediately after finishing this book.
Llaph
May 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. There were so many things that I did like that I can’t really seem to get them out of my head and translated into something coherent.
This book made me run the gambit of emotions from sad, to happy, to betrayal, outrage, and well pretty much everything between. Normally I dislike that sort of jumping around when it comes to my emotions, but it was done so very well. I really enjoyed the author’s way of writing it was just so lovely at times even if the subject matter was
Susan Harrowa
Dec 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just who is A'yen?

There are so many facets to this book, I don't even know where to start. Absolutely compelling story! The characters so complex and well written. Set at a time in the future, and yet in some ways feels like an ancient time. But done in such a way that you can feel the prejudices, misconceptions, fear and above all hope that have plagued every circulation throughout time. A'yen comes from a race fighting to be free of slavery and for a place of equality. He is more important tha
Donna Hokanson
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gripping story and worlds

This is a story of enslavement of a whole race. Said race being told they were never free. But one person believes they were and thinks she know from which planet they are from. Proving it will be another story, even with possibly evidence.
It's a love story. A'yen had a love for many year with a human man. Said man is killed and A'yen is once again sold as the slave his people are. But the person who bought him and what happens next is as if the fates have orchestrated i
claire castello
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading this book. It takes you into the experiences of the main character A’yen with twists and turns in every chapter. I found that I couldn’t put it down ( and I’m sure it’s a book I will read again) . I’m looking forward to starting the next book in the series - which I’ve already downloaded!
Reba Rhynland
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Historical Future Romance

This book sucked me in from the get-go.
While fiction, this mixes (future) history, romance and intrigue. And spices things up with a rags to riches element.
Recommended reading.
Charlotte Leslie
My Name is A'yen

I loved the story. It starts out with A'yen in prison and Farran buying him. She is an archeologist and is trying to find his home world. He doesn't believe the stories anymore but will go with her to protect her. A lot of action.
Leda
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pretty realistic way of the effects of slavery on a man who was born to be way more than an "it".
JB
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read!

Totally unexpected and fantastically creative. A great mix of fantasy and sci Fi with mystery, action, romance and oh my the feels, you won’t believe the feels. Enjoy!
Missy
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quite Amazing,

I don't always get into storylines from other planets, weird I guess, since I do like paranormal. This grabbed me, sucked me in, and didn't let go! The storyline is fabulous, A'yen, Fae, Arrin, Cap, Pete and the rest are great characters, well developed, defined and makes you root for them. There's been such heartache and sadness, now it looks as if there may be more but with the love, hope, friends, New family and New life, happiness may not be far off. Look forward to reading th
Hooked On Books
Jan 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This sci-fi novel is set well into the future. A'yen is a handsome Loks-Ma slave, all the male descendants from his race have been slaves for a very long time, all having to bear painful ink markings across their bodies which their captors can control them with. The history of his planet and his people is slowly beginning to get lost along with their hopes of freedom.

A'yen is held in holding/prison after the murder of his previous master which he loved dearly, he is then purchased by Farran an
Kristi Cramer
I thought this was a wonderful book. It deals with a lot of tough topics - slavery and rape for starters - and has LGB themes to it, and yes, one questions the motive of one character who is only present in the story as a memory. (Some would call him a pedophile - but as this is Sci-Fi, I chose to believe that A'yen's people age faster than humans.) There are things in this book that will trigger some readers.

But the story is full of hope and perseverance and healing and learning to trust. The w
Winter
Mar 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sfr
I admit, until I read this book, I wasn't a science fiction reader at all. Other than some awesome comics with SF elements in it, nope not a one. Then I was given a copy of My Name is A'yen and that all changed.

Author Rachel Smith doesn't pull any punches with content and subject matter, yet delicate and tastefully, showing a side of slavery and same sex situations without prejudice and malice. If you're a reader who loves hero-centered books this one is right up your alley. A'yen is the perfect
Danielle Goodwin
Feb 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rachel Leigh Smith’s “My Name is A''yen” is the first book in her A’yen’s Legacy series. It sets up a wonderful mythology with a full ensemble of characters. The series is daring – I like that she took the chance to have the leading man have a history with another man. The main characters, Fae and A’yen are both complex and multifaceted. Definitely a book for smart readers to really dig into. My only small issue is that I wish we had gotten more detailed descriptions of the intimate scenes – see ...more
Emily Alves
May 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
I got this book for free through Goodreads First-reads giveaway. The two main characters are well developed but I would like to know more about Farran's past. This story deals with rape, abuse, slavery, oppression,loss, love, and sacrifice. The only main complaint I have for this book is the authorneeds to explain more about the different groups of people, slaves, and opposing groups on the slavery of the lok'me aliens. I can't wait to read the next book in the series.
Lisa
Nov 08, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi-romance
Meh. A little too heavy on the "I miss my lover and can't go on without him!" I mean, I get it, really I do, but there's such a thing as too much pining. Also a little too much "I am slave hear me roar!" And really? I have this mark on my hand and it exactly matches this ancient object. Must be a coincidence. :oP
Kay Reed
May 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: futuristic
This book is easy to read. Has a great plot and the characters are well developed I would recommend this book

• Phoenix Rising (Maggie Henning & The Realm #1)
  • Oasis (The Last Humans, #1)
  • Evolution Series Books 1-2
  • Relics of Andromeda
  • The Midnight Sea (The Fourth Element, #1)
  • Protector (Princesses of Myth #1)
  • Cornered Magic (The Void, #1)
  • Dark Wolf (Shifters of Dundaire, #1)
  • When They Came (When They Came #1)
  • Finding Sarah (Pine Hills Police #1)
  • Edge of Time (Langston Brothers #1)
  • Seventh Son (The Septimus Series, #1)
  • Winds of Betrayal Boxed Set (Winds of Betrayal #1-3)
  • The Back Door Man
  • King of Libertines
  • The Price of Innocence
  • The Protocol (James Acton Thrillers, #1)
  • A Spark in the Wind (TimeDrifter Series, #0)
Rachel Leigh Smith was swept off her feet at the age of six by Magnum, P.I., then again at nine by Frank Hardy. She remembers her favorite romance novels by the hero’s name, so of course she writes romance for the hero lover. She lives in central Louisiana with her family, a half-crazed calico, a ginger tabby lion, and a menagerie of book boyfriends.

A'yen's Legacy (7 books)
  • The King's Mistress (A'yen's Legacy, #2)
  • To Save A Life (A'yen's Legacy, #3)
  • Freedom's Embrace (A'yen's Legacy, #4)
  • Hidden In Ashes (A'yen's Legacy, #5)
  • Essence of Loyalty (A'yen's Legacy, #6)
  • Echoes of Paradise (A'yen's Legacy, #7)

News & Interviews