Start by marking “Monkey High!, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Monkey High!, Vol. 1

Monkey High!, Vol. 1 (Monkey High! #1)

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  3,361 Ratings  ·  78 Reviews
After her political father is disgraced in scandal, Haruna Aizawa transfers to a new school...

Haruna Aizawa thinks that school life is just like a monkey mountain - all the monkeys form cliques, get into fights, and get back together again. The school that she just transferred to is no exception. There's even a boy called Macharu(baby monkey) Yamashita [ actually named Mas
Published March 4th 2008 by VIZ Media LLC (first published September 2007)

Jessica-Robyn
Jan 20, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Lovely*Complex and Ouran High School Host Club
I had very low expectations of Monkey High! So low that you probably couldn't even limbo under them, but I kept seeing volume one at my library and eventually my grabby hands got the best of me.

Turns out this manga is actually good. I mean, imagine my shock when I started laughing out loud and cooing at the characters. What makes this work is the humour. I was totally caught off guard by some of the gags and it seemed purposely so. Monkey High makes a lot of visual jokes and uses the element of
Merb
Dec 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
"School life is like being on a monkey mountain. Monkeys in the same gang constantly fight and get back together again and a hierarchy gets established. There may be slight differences, but it's essentially the same anywhere you go."

I really enjoyed this manga. It had that something special that made me really enjoy reading every part. I think the fact the story got straight to the point and the characters were pretty aware of their feelings and surroundings, kept me engaged.

The art was not the
Em
Feb 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga, read-in-2010
This manga was flipping adorable! It was a bit frustrating at times (the classmates are rather annoying but I understand why). But Macharu is my new favorite Manga character. The pacing was quick and the characters were entertianing. I'm dying to get the second volume.
Adrianna
Nov 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Adrianna by: Saw it on a table in the library
Most Recent Review Written on Tuesday, March 16, 2010.

Monkey High!, Vol. 1 is a Shojo Beat Manga (Japanese comic book) written for a teenage female audience between the ages of 16 and 18. This is the first in a series about high school students. It's written in the traditional Japanese manga style, which reads from right to left (often referred to by non-fans of the genre as "backwards"). If you've never read a manga before, the style can confuse and disorient you, but it's worth acclimating to.
Rossana
May 19, 2018 rated it liked it
3,5⭐ — Really Cute Shoujo Manga

Masaru Yamashita is too cute to be true!!! A perfect gentleman, good humored, energetic, always smiling and making the others laughing. But his looks are far away from Prince Charming, or so most girls think. Then, why Haruna feels so nervous around him?

Holly Letson
I started this series late on Wednesday Night (10/28/2015). I only own V2-V4 of the series, so I read V1 of MangaGo (where the Viz/SB scans are up), and within a couple hours, I had plowed through 3 volumes. This review will be for V1-V3.

I have been thoroughly enjoying this series. Haruna is a fun character, and I like that she chose the "baby monkey" Macharu (Masaru) as her boyfriend. I just wish that their friends - especially the overly jealous Atsu - would stop teasing them so much about i
Christiana
Nov 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I kind of loved this manga. In a way, it reminds me of Japanese Scott Pilgrim. It's cute to read about the beginning of a relationship of two people who might be better suited than they (and everyone else think). More, please.
Samantha wickedshizuku Tolleson
Apr 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anime and Manga fans
Recommended to Samantha wickedshizuku by: Anime-Planet.com
The slice of life art style was so appealing to this particular storyline. If you just had a depressing break-up; it just might help to cheer you up. Reccommend for 16 yrs. and up.
Carolyn Nguyen
Jun 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary
*3.5*
Winna
Mar 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
It reminds me a bit of Here We Are.. but simpler. I think teens will be able to relate to all these new feelings of a first crush and relationship
Mayu
Mar 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Dulce y cómico xDDDDDD.
Reyna
Sep 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really love this book!! It's really interesting, Macharu and Haruna, perfect couple ever! they are like well written characters and well developed.
"Going bananas for love!"
Katie (Kitkatscanread)
May 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Awww this was so cute!
And I loved the ending
Melissa
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
If you are looking for a sweet more bubblegum shojo manga this is probably a good one to go for.

I read this back in high school and just re-read it. It doesn't delve into too serious stuff and the series deals with the emotional issues that many shoujo manga address: jealousy and intimacy.

A good read for an avid shojo reader.

This series features an odd-couple: she sophisticated and he youthful/exuberant. I liked Lovely Complex as well (as a fan off odd-couples.....). And think readers who lik
Teetee
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: manga-shojo
2.5 stars, I wanted to like this series so much more than I did, the art is good and the story is too but the couple so obviously don't belong together and the main guy (really boy) is too young and immature for the girl. When they finally 'go all the way' its cringe worthy. I finished the whole series and got rid of it. I know a lot of ppl liked this one but man, it just felt 'off' the whole series to me.
Kelly Jean
Sep 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Cute love story. Interesting couple that reminds me of the Lovely Complex (a.k.a. Love Com) couple.
Aya
Dec 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I can’t believe how good this manga turned out to be. Loving it so far 😍
Sandy
Jun 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
There is no other way for me to put this then to say that this story was just sprinkled with adorableness. And I don't mean adorable in the "aww that's so sweet" kind of way, although there are those moments in the manga, its the sheer fact that this story was as funny as it was cute.

When I got to read the first 48 pages in a Shojo Beat sampler I thought the main male character Macharu was adorable, nice, and that he's always has a big grin plastered on his face. After reading the whole volume I
Niral
Feb 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Monkey high is a manga written about a girl in high school named Haruna Aizawa. She had just recently transferred to Monkey high, after breaking up with her ex-boyfriend. Haruna's father is a politician so everyone was surprised to see her at such a low class school. Many of the boys at Monkey High describe Haruna as very pretty. So when the students talk about Macharu, a not very good looking boy, being in love with Haruna, Haruna goes crazy.

I picked up this book because I wanted to try some
Sara Bennett
May 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga, romance, ya
I'm trying to find new mangas to read (the two I read and love are to the point where I'm waiting for the next volume to come out every couple months...I need something in between :/) and I think I hit on something with this one.

Due to some sort of scandal Haruna Aizawa's father is disgraced and she has to transfer to a different school. When she arrives she compares it to a monkey mountain, everybody having a place on it. However there is one monkey, a baby monkey, that is sweet and funny. He's
Kelly
Okay, the title for this series is horrible, I'll give you that. I could even do without most (perhaps all) of the monkey-related puns. This series was on one of my recommendation shelves, primarily for my high rating of the Lovely Complex series. I can tell you right now, I won't like this one as much. However, we will give it a go.
The art is great. Most characters have their own distinct look, which I appreciate in manga. The characters felt a little rushed, honestly, but then again I'm used t
Reader17 Der
Oct 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga-read
Meghan
Aug 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga, read-2010
Haruna Aizawa is the daughter of a scandalous politician who was recently arrested. She transfers to a new high school, where she realizes that all the students behave like a pack of crazy monkeys. One boy, Masaru, even looks like a baby monkey. Masaru's short and kind of foolish, but will Haruna end up falling for him anyways?

This is such a cute and romantic manga. Most of the guys in shojo manga are, let's face it, hot. Masaru is just such a cutie, and the chemistry between him and Haruna is u
Yue
Mar 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Yue by: Jarta
It's been a while since I've read a cute, funny shoujo. Or since I've found a Girl who is not annoying. Because Haruna had a previous boyfriend, she is not that dense and silly. She is pretty mature, among shoujos characters anyway.

What I liked best in this manga is the classmates; it is one of the things I missed from manga like Lovely Complex or Kimi Ni Todoke. The classmates are noisy and funny, and they like to root for the main couple. And Macharu is a nice Boy, as well as his family (when
Jessica
I Like this shoujo manga. Unlike most manga where the heroine fall for the "popular" alpha hero, she choose the one every girl can't seem to imagine why,. But of course the hero is still like by other characters. I like him too, cheerful and easy going but could occasionally get serious. I like how relax the story go but still keep on the edge of my seat. I'm currently on Volume 5 and I'm still liking it. And I hope that last to the end because what I hate in most shoujo demography manga, is tha ...more
Aubrey E.
Apr 23, 2013 rated it did not like it
When I first started to read this I thought that it was cute but that it lacked individuality. As I continued reading, to see if my assumption was wrong, I came to the conclusion that it was a a failed attempt at showing the growth of a young high school couple. Having sex and following those desires is not what makes you an adult, or in this series a "man". I came to the conclusion that they were merely children who thought that they were taking the right steps to becoming adults. However, my o ...more
Treasure
Rather silly and predictable, but still a fun read about Haruna's experiences in high school. I enjoy the fact that rather than go for the hot, popular guy, she ends up with the "Baby Monkey" Macharu. While she struggles with how she really feels about him, it is clear to the reader that his enthusiasm and innocence will be good for her in a world of high school drama, personal family problems, and a very public political corruption scandal involving her father.
Chelsea
Sep 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book and feel that it is a very promising series with a lot of fun and interesting characters that keep you entertained. The story is also really well told and entertaining. I am looking forward to reading the next book!

Contains Chapters: 01 - 03
Chapter 1.) Miss Contrary vs. Runt Monkey
Chapter 2.) Climbing Mountains is Easier than Professing Your Love
Chapter 3.) X-Mas is More Romantic than a First Kiss?!
Casie25
Feb 11, 2010 added it
Shelves: 2010
After her father is involved in a corruption scandal, Haruna transfers to a new school. She thinks that school life is like a monkey mountain – all the monkeys form cliques, get into fights and get back together again. In this school, she meets Macharu – a boy who reminds her of a baby monkey. At first, she is distant from everyone and finds it hard to fit in. But gradually she begins to notice Macharu a lot more and falls in love with him.
C-chan
Jul 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This entire series is adorable! I love the mix between typical romantic comedy and the almost "studio audience" nature that the friends and classmates give sometimes. A great read and thoroughly enjoyable!

Reading this again now, and I am entirely going "THIS SERIES HAS THE BEST PEANUT GALLERY" pretty much the entire time (sometimes out loud... oops).
Shoujo Manga Book...: Monkey High Discussion 9 18 May 15, 2013 08:38PM
  • Mixed Vegetables, Vol. 1 (Mixed Vegetables, #1)
  • Love Attack, Volume 1
  • Happy Hustle High, Vol. 1
  • B.O.D.Y., Vol. 1
  • V.B. Rose Volume 1
  • Love★Com, Vol. 7
  • Honey Hunt, Vol. 1
  • Aishiteruze Baby, Volume 1
  • Rasetsu, Vol. 1
  • High School Debut, Vol. 03 (High School Debut, #3)
  • Crimson Hero, Vol. 1 (Crimson Hero, # 1)
  • Cactus's Secret, Vol. 02
  • Beauty Pop, Vol. 10 (Beauty Pop, #10)
  • Mugen Spiral, Vol. 01
  • Butterflies, Flowers, Vol. 1 (Butterflies, Flowers, #1)

Monkey High! (8 books)

Romance Deals

• Hidden Secrets
  • Breath of Malice
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Kian (Undercover Billionaire, #1)
  • Greensleeves
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Everything We Keep (Everything #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • From Thin Air (A Black Swan Historical Romance, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Caroline (Lowcountry Romance #1)
  • All the Breaking Waves
    $4.99 $1.99
  • To Hope (The Broken Roads #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Royally Bad (Bad Boy Royals #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Royally Ruined (Bad Boy Royals #2)
  • The Finishing Touches
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Roses
    $11.99 $3.99
  • Accidentally in Love with...a God? (Accidentally Yours, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Splinter (Reliquary, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Claimed (Servants of Fate, #2)
  • Keeping You a Secret
  • The PMS Club
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gypsy (The Promised Land, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Bodyguard (Hollywood A-List, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Willow (The Promised Land #1)
  • Mosaic (Reliquary #3)
  • The Lullaby Sky
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Secretly Hers (Sterling Canyon, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tycoon Takedown (Lone Star Burn, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Come High Water (A Black Swan Historical Romance, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Before I Knew (The Cabots, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Paradise of Glass (The Glassblower Trilogy #3)
  • Trusting You & Other Lies
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Once Haunted, Twice Shy (Peyton Clark, #2)
  • The Story of Beautiful Girl
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Lullaby Girl (Angie Pallorino, #2)
  • Say Goodbye for Now
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bridged (Callahan & McLane, #2)
  • Love Is
  • The Unimaginable
  • The Hating Game
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Unbeautifully (Undeniable, #2)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • His Darling Bride (Echoes of the Heart #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Augusta (The Promised Land, #5)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Twisted Truth (Rogue Justice #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Morning Glory (Drifters & Dreamers, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Worth the Wait (St. James, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Best Friend's Ex (Binghamton #2)
  • A Totally Awkward Love Story
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Charmingly Yours (Morning Glory, #1)
  • Sit! Stay! Speak!
  • In the Barren Ground
  • About the Night
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Violet's Wish (Oklahoma Land Rush, #2)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Exploited (Zero Day, #1)
  • About That Fling
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Promises to Keep (Love in Provence Book 2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Taken Home (Lone Star Burn, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hard to Handle (Caine Cousins, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Austen Escape
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Garnet (The Promised Land, #4)
  • The Strawberry Hearts Diner
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Truth Be Told (Rogue Justice #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Born of Shadows (The League, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • From Wine to Water (Angels & Outlaws, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Worth the Risk (St. James #3)
  • The Dove
  • The Ladies' Room
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Too Hot to Handle (Romancing the Clarksons, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Accidentally Hers (Sterling Canyon, #1)
  • Kissing Max Holden
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Known (Bone Secrets, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Omega (Penton Legacy, #3)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Taking Charge (Lone Star Burn, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Vanished (Callahan & McLane #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All the Lies We Tell (Quarry Road, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seven Nights in a Rogue's Bed (Sons of Sin, #1)
  • The Ivy Tree
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Evening Star (The Drifters & Dreamers #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Misadventures of the First Daughter (Misadventures, #3)
  • Daisies in the Canyon
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Claiming Felicity (Ace Security, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All the Beautiful Brides (Graveyard Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Barefoot in the Rain (Barefoot Bay, #2; Barefoot Bay Universe, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Only You (Sweet Torment, #2)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Claiming Alexis (Ace Security, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unlucky in Love (Lucky, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Secret (Mercy Kilpatrick, #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Difference Between Us (Opposites Attract #2)
  • Bullets & Bonfires
  • White Lace and Promises
    $3.99 $0.99
  • To Commit (The Broken Roads #2)
  • The Yard Rose
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Driven by Fire (Fire, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Taken, Not Spurred (Lone Star Burn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sixth Grave on the Edge (Charley Davidson, #6)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Chasing Down a Dream: A Blessings Novel
  • The Pursuit of Love
    $11.99 $1.99
  • At Wave's End
  • After the War Is Over: A Novel
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Kissing Mr. Right (Colorado Hearts #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Riding the Storm (ACRO, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • It Had to Be Him (It Had to Be #1)
  • The Love Goddess' Cooking School
    $10.99 $2.99
  • That Way Again
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Never Let Go (Haven, Montana #2)
  • All the Way from Texas
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Pretty Little Killers (The Keepers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Forever Surprised (Forever Bluegrass #6)
    $2.99 $1.49
“School life is like being on a monkey mountain...monkeys in the same gang constantly fight and get back together again...and a hierarchy gets established.” 6 likes