Start by marking “Ravenous (Monstrous, #2)” as Want to Read:
Ravenous (Monstrous, #2)

Ravenous

(Monstrous #2)

A witch has come to the city of Bryre. She travels in a hut that has chicken feet, and is ravenous for children. And once she gets what she desires, she never lets it go.

But when the witch captures Hans, Greta’s little brother, Greta refuses to let her have him. The two strike up a bargain. Greta will retrieve something the witch desires in exchange for her brother’s freed
Published February 9th 2016 by HarperCollins Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Ravenous, please sign up.
MarcyKate It is a companion novel which is a little different from a sequel. A companion novel takes place in the same world but follows a different main charac…moreIt is a companion novel which is a little different from a sequel. A companion novel takes place in the same world but follows a different main character and can be read without having read the other books in the a series, while a sequel needs to be read in order. Ravenous follows Greta from Monstrous in her own story, and while I'd encourage readers to check out Monstrous first, Ravenous can be read and enjoyed on its own.(less)
MarcyKate At present it’s the last planned published book in the series, but I do have a few more potential ideas for this world, so I’d never say never :)

Start your review of Ravenous (Monstrous, #2)
Mel (Daily Prophecy)
That was really good :)

The first thing I want to address is: how amazing are these covers from Monstrous and Ravenous together? Middle Grade books definitely belong to my favorite style, with drawings and details. The best part is that the inside matches the outside, because this was a highly enjoyable story.

Ravenous is set in the same world and time as Monstrous, but is not much of a sequel. There are a few shout-outs to Kymera and Ren, the protagonist and secondary character from Monstrous, bu
bookish_elves
Mar 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There are no more books in this series and that makes me so sad. :( Ravenous was awesome and I'm so glad I picked up the first book. That was a sweet, wonderful, and exciting journey. I may reread it in a few months. 😂
Lee Malone
Jun 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic follow up to MONSTROUS, this book follows the story of Greta, a character we met in the first book. But it's not a sequel --it's a whole other story about Greta and her brother Hans, filled with the same wonderful creativity and creatures as the first one. c8
Barbara Senteney
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This story revolves around Greta and her friend a Centaur named Dalen. Greta's brother has been kidnaped by an evil witch who travels in a hut with chicken feet and a feathered roof. The witch wants Greta to travel to Belledoma and find the magical Cornucopia , which is a magical basket that can give you any food you wish for.
There is also a monster in the sea beneath the cliffs of Belledoma that is terrorizing the town and eating it's female children, since the Cornucopia has been stolen from
Adriana
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was ok

Maybe it's because I haven't read Monstrous but I wasn't all too into this when I was reading it. It started off a bit fast paced and the storyline just wasn't my thing. I thought I would love this since I love fairy tale retellings but nope.
Jen Petro-Roy
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this companion novel to Monstrous. So clever and original, while still incorporating traditional fairytale elements.
Amy Layton
Sep 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
I have a penchant for picking up sequels at the library without reading the first one. But, like the others, I had no idea that this was a sequel until I entered the information on Goodreads. The only signs were the fact that she had clearly been to the city by the sea before, and that she did not have a good time there. That being said, you could either read Ravenous first, or Monstrous first.

Ravenous was so fun to read that I read it in one day. It's fast-paced, and Greta, the protagonists, i
Chelsea
Nov 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-star
I wish I had enough thoughts to write a more eloquent review of this book, but this is honestly another case of a book that wasn’t necessarily bad but I felt no emotional attachment to whatsoever.

I read Monstrous last year, and from what I remember I quite enjoyed due to the interesting characters and nice writing. Ravenous is a companion novel in which a girl is attempting to rescue her brother from a witch who has captured him, and the story isn’t bad but it certainly isn’t as half as interest
Monica Tesler
Jul 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'm such a fan of MarcyKate Connolly's books. I love how Ravenous, and its companion, Monstrous, nod to classic fairytales, both in terms of story and their dark and atmospheric world building. The novella, Precious, was a delightful bonus, adding even more to the world that Monstrous first revealed.
Bee
May 23, 2015 marked it as on-hold

Ahhh I love this cover! It fits so nicely with Monstrous!
Katherine
Gretta easily became a character I admired in Monstrous, so I was excited to see we would be following her story in Ravenous. She is fierce and brave but also extremely stubborn- sometimes to a fault- and no one can say she isn’t loyal when it comes to family. I loved that the events of Monstrous show a deeper, lasting effect in Ravenous. It’s clear that the people of Balladoma are in need of assistance, but Gretta’s personal experiences hinder her in seeing the good in an oppressed people. Not ...more
Leah
Apr 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: kid-s-books, fantasy
I'm a little sad because I really wanted to enjoy this one more, but perhaps my gilded memories of how much I loved Monstrous gave me too high of expectations. This was a very good book, but in parts I found it meandering and difficult to keep my attention on.

Greta's story really is an interesting one; she's a lost girl trying to hold what little of her family remains after several traumatic events, and is forced to face the source of her PTSD in order to save what's important to her, while she
Valerie McEnroe
Mar 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, middle-grade
Sometimes I read a book and I can't figure out if I liked it or not. This is one of those books.

This is the companion book to Monstrous. Technically you don't need to read Monstrous first, but there are some things that will make more sense if you do. The story begins with Greta sort of recounting the events in Monstrous. You get bits and pieces as the story unfolds which made me feel like there was always a cloud hanging over the plot. There's a ravenous monster that lives in the ocean by a ne
Kyla
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In MarcyKate Connolly's novel Ravenous, Greta finds that her brother has been taken by a witch with a hut on chicken feet. Then she makes a deal with the witch to find a cornucopia, and she goes through the forest and meets the hybrids, and is held captive for a little while, but while she is there, she meets a new friend, Dalen, whom she tells fairytales to from her book. Then they end up going to Belladoma to find the cornucopia. This novel was very fun to read, full of adventure, interesting, ...more
Jim
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
a bit of a letdown after "Monstrous"... this one lacked the magical energy and imagination i was expecting... the relationship between Greta and Hans is not developed very well, it is more of an assumption based on the "Hansel and Gretel" tale it borrows from, sort of... the magic was just kinda dumped in, and if you haven't read "Monstrous" this tale might seem a bit shallow... lots of typical fantasy/faiy tale bits, but they don't fit very well at all... if this has just been a straight up cha ...more
Kaeli
Jan 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Holly Hughes
Oct 22, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars

This was a fun and imaginative twist on a classic fairy tale (Hansel and Gretel meets Howl's Moving Castle, mixed with original elements).

Also, I love the covers for this series so much!! The illustration style is beautiful, and I love the title typography.

A part of me wishes I had read Monstrous first, but that's just me and personal reading preferences. Ravenous still stands successfully on it's own, which is a compliment.
Hanna
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
DNF. I couldn't even. It got so boring in there, that I felt so sleepy when reading this. I even fell asleep at work reading this book. Normally books don't make me sleep at work. The premise was SO good but it just was so dry. I'm very disappointed. It had so much promise. Maybe I'll try again, but doubtful. Prob try the Monstrous that everyone says is so good.
Sarah Sammis
I thought I'd give another one a try but the sad fact is I don't like this author's writings style. Her protagonists tend to be loners and they tend to narrate from inside their heads and it gets to be monotonous.
Sarah Nerud
There is a novella in the back of this book that I will read and rate separately.

I liked the story. No where near as much as I liked the first though. This book hasn’t really left its dent in me, but it was fine. 2.5 stars
Mrs.
Jun 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Hansel and Gretel fans will undoubtedly want to read this one. Be warned it does take awhile before interest builds in the story line, but once the story gets moving you will want to finish it. My copy included an additional novella.
Cecilia Rodriguez
May 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Narrated by Greta, Connolly's plot draws inspiration from Grimm fairy tales, with a contribution from H.P. Lovecraft.
Also included: Precious a novella, which introduces a new series.
DamaeJha
Sep 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really liked the book, but not ready the first one I was some what confused about what was happening. I do recommend this book but I would read Monstrous first.
Kristina Jean Lareau
Does not introduce well as a stand alone novel. I was lost without reading the first despite claims that this companion does not require "Monstrous" to read.
Jamie Ferrone
Jul 11, 2018 rated it did not like it
Wow...I'm not sure if I am totally off the mark but this readclike a really bad fairy tale mash-up to me. Sorry!
Antoaneta Tuparova
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Just as magical as the first one. But at the same time hit close to home. I loved it!
Lindsey
Feb 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
An excellent companion to Monstrous, and a wonderfully fun re-imagining of Hansel and Gretel.
Nat
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A great followup to monstrous
Jessica F
Nov 05, 2017 rated it liked it
A solid follow up to Monstrous... even if the battle between the witch and Greta felt anticlimactic and everyone lives happily ever after.

For now, anyway. Plenty of room for another sequel. :)
Nicole
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book! But beware there is a first book Monsterous I recommend you read that one first! I didn't!
« previous 1 3 next »

• My Diary from the Edge of the World
  • Seriously Wicked (Seriously Wicked, #1)
  • Rogue Wave (Waterfire Saga, #2)
  • The Conspiracy of Us (The Conspiracy of Us, #1)
  • Twelve (The Winnie Years, #3)
  • The Girl in the Steel Corset (Steampunk Chronicles, #1)
  • Thirteen (The Winnie Years, #4)
  • Eleven (The Winnie Years, #2)
  • Punch Like a Girl
  • The Journey to Atlantis (Thea Stilton: Special Edition #1)
  • Sea Spell (Waterfire Saga, #4)
  • Dark Tide (Waterfire Saga, #3)
  • Ivy and Bean
  • Cast Away: Poems for Our Time
  • The Door by the Staircase
  • Tales from the Hinterland (The Hazel Wood, #2.5)
  • My Name Is Memory
  • Belly Up (FunJungle, #1)
I’m an author and nonprofit administrator living in New England with my husband and pugs. I’m also a coffee addict, voracious reader, and recurring commuter. Represented by Suzie Townsend of New Leaf Literary.

Monstrous (2 books)
  • Monstrous (Monstrous, #1)