Start by marking “The Lake” as Want to Read:
The Lake

The Lake

A gripping murder mystery, with a compelling family drama at its heart.

September 1975.

A body is discovered in the receding waters of a man-made lake, and for Peggy Casey, 23-year-old landlady of The Angler’s Rest, nothing will ever be the same.

Detective Sergeant Frank Ryan is dispatched from Dublin, and his arrival casts an uneasy spotlight on the damaged history of the va
Published May 7th 2015 by Killer Reads (first published March 19th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Lake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lake

Amalia Gavea
This was one of the most atmospheric books I've read in a while. What impressed me was the fact that we witness the murder mystery being unfolded through the eyes of two very interesting characters, the Detective Sergeant Frank Ryan and Peggy Casey, a young woman whose strength and persistence stayed with me long after I read the novel. The descriptions of the Lake -which becomes a character in itself-are eerie and haunting, and the characters are realistic, the kind you meet in every small town ...more
Chris Curran
Sep 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It’s 1975 and the end of a long hot summer in the village of Crumm in rural Ireland. Peggy, the youngest of the Casey siblings, runs the local pub. It’s a quiet spot smelling of cut grass and hay and overlooking a lake.

The Angler’s Rest is a cosy place where the old boys from the village prop up the bar as they sup their pints and the Delaney brothers entertain with fiddle and tin whistle in front of the turf fire, while Peggy’s Irish stew bubbles away on the kitchen Aga.

But Frank Ryan hasn’t co
Margaret Madden
Mar 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, irish-fiction
Ireland, 1975. A body has been found at the edge of a lake which covers a forgotten village. Under the calm waters lie ruins and secrets. The corpse has obviously been there for many years, and this makes it all the harder for Detective Sergeant Frank Ryan to uncover the mystery of the unidentified remains. The sleepy town of Crumm pricks up its ears at the arrival of the Dublin Garda and the local pub, The Anglers Rest, is the perfect place to discuss the gruesome facts of the case. Residents c ...more
Liz Barnsley
Beautifully atmospheric and tense mystery set in the 70's with a stunning sense of place and time and some really well drawn characters.

Full review to follow.
Damaskcat
Jul 25, 2015 rated it liked it
It is 1975 in Ireland. A valley was flooded over twenty years ago to make a reservoir but this year there is little rain and the water level drops and a body is revealed. A detective is sent to investigate. Peggy Casey - landlady of The Anglers' Rest - is soon aware of the body and interested to find out more.

Someone must know how the body got there but at first no one is talking. Peggy and her brothers and sister are squabbling as they usually do because Peggy does most of the work of running
Sharon
Mar 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review-copy
Set in Ireland in 1975, in the sleepy village of Crumm where nothing ever really happens.

Peggy Casey runs her family bar, with little help from her siblings. Wild sister Carla is too busy causing trouble to help out, flamboyant brother Jerome seems to be more at home in Dublin, and brother Hugo is working in London. This leaves Peggy to deal with the day-to-day running of the business, condemned to a life serving the people she grew up with - one she isn't entirely unhappy with.

On the weekend of
Annette
Jul 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Set in The Irish Republic in the mid 1970's. At first I thought this book was a crime thriller as it started out with a body being found on the banks of a man made lake where part of a small village had been flooded to supply water to the rest of the area. The story however is much more and revolves around a family who run the local pub its customers and the policeman who has been sent down from Dublin to investigate the murder. I enjoyed reading The Lake and particularly the surprising ending
Karen
Jun 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. I thought the characters were well drawn and the story well paced. I recognised rural Ireland and it's characters. The mystery, developing relationships and family dynamics all worked and flowed around each other seamlessly. well worth a read
Kate
A compelling yet almost cosy mystery set in a quiet Irish village in the mid 70s. I found its style bewitching.

Ellie M
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, netgalley, fiction
A body of a young girl is found by a lake in the village of Crumm, Ireland. It's the scorching hot summer of 1975 and the man-made lake has dried to reveal a secret from the past. Part murder-mystery, part family saga, The Lake is a tale of who the girl was and the connections back to the village. This is a story of secrets; those current and secrets kept from years before. There's a touch of romance, a touch of mystery, and lots of banter amongst the characters.

I found this a very easy novel to
Melanie Byrnes
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
A good blend of romance and mystery.
Trish at Between My Lines
This review was originally posted on Between My Lines

The blurb for The Lake immediately grabbed my attention with its 1975 setting in a rural Irish village and the creepy discovery of a body found in a lake.  Two things guaranteed to make me want to dive straight into its pages!

First line of The Lake by Sheena Lambert:
"Frank. Phone call.”

My Thoughts on The Lake by Sheena Lambert:
I thoroughly enjoyed The Lake as there was a lot going on that made me curious and that I needed to see resolved.
Kathryn Laceby
Mar 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally reviewed at Novel Escapes

The story takes place in a small village in Ireland in the 1970’s where a body has been discovered down by a man-made lake. The question surrounding the body, and where it came from, is being investigated by a detective from Dublin and he quickly finds himself intrigued by the young woman running the pub.

There were theoretically two plot lines in The Lake, the attraction between Frank and Peggy and the mystery of the body. I felt like the focus was on Peggy in
Sid Nuncius
Oct 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. Although the discovery of a body drives the plot, this is really a character study of Peggy, its main protagonist, and a vivid portrait of life in a small Irish town in the mid-1970s.

The story is a simple one: a body, apparently buried 20 years or so ago, is discovered in Crumm, a tiny place in Ireland and a detective from Dublin is sent to investigate. This unearths not only old history – which is very interesting, by the way – but the arrival of the detective provokes emot
Andrew
As I read this, I found that it grew on me. The clever interplay between the family life of Peggy Casey and her siblings at The Angler's Rest, and DS Frank Ryan's investigation into the finding of the body on the shores of the lake, makes this a good read.

I like the way the book is set in a small timescale, set in 1975. As the weekend progresses, we learn that a crime is suspected. Then we learn that there are tensions between Peggy, the landlady and Clara her sister. Later, when Jerome and Hugo
Tara Russell
Aug 29, 2015 rated it liked it
This wasn't what l was expecting. Described a a murder mystery the plot does centre around the discovery of a body on a lake shore in a small village in Ireland in the 1970s, but the book concentrates more on the characters of the Garda from Dublin, Frank, and the family who own the local pub near the lake. I was expecting a story with a limited cast of characters from which the murderer would be unmasked, but it isn't that kind of book.

The dialogue is good and there's a strong sense of place.
Maggie
Jul 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
When the lake falls way below normal a body is found in the mud. Who was she and how did she get there?
I thought this was going to be a regular ‘who dunnit’ but instead the main focus was on ‘The Angler’s Rest’- the local pub and the family who owns it.
I was very captivated by the family, particularly by Peggy; the youngest and the one who is mostly left to carry on the family business.
Discoveries about the victim are made and nobody’s life is the same again.
Thanks to Netgallery for this copy. I
Janet Cameron
May 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: irish, blue, mystery
Very atmospheric and engaging mystery/family drama set in a small town pub in Ireland in the 1970s, when a colour TV for the bar was considered the height of luxury. Great characters and dialogue and a very strong sense of place - the pub is close to the shores of a man-made lake which drowned the original village, and everyone in the story seems haunted by this loss. The author is skilled at balancing the mystery and the family story, which at first seem to be running parallel courses, until yo ...more
Sally Loper
May 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A true mystery, with excellent character build-ups.

Interesting historical period, connected to the plot. Original. People bound by circumstances beyond their control. Trauma caused by war. Held my interest, unexpectedly.
Brendan O'sullivan
Jun 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
I had never heard of Sheena Lambert but did enjoy this murder mystery set in the west of Ireland. The whole plot plays out over one weekend, which ensures that it moves quickly. The central characters are well thought out and add to the drama. Actually, this novel would make a great play....
Rachel Sargeant
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
A gem of a book, set in mid-70s Ireland. Less of a murder mystery and more of a family drama and burgeoning romance . If you liked Maeve Binchy's books, give this a go. I hope you fall for its charm as I did.
Kay Childs
Unusual

Don't know how I feel about this book??? Never expected it
To end the way it did. Was an unusual and also interesting
Read
Saoirse Milotte
Nov 27, 2015 rated it liked it
In the summer of 1975 a heat wave hits Ireland with the sweltering sun beating down on the whole country for weeks. In the small village of Crumm the unusual heat causes the water in the man-made lake to recede, exposing a long-hidden body. Dubliner, Detective Frank Ryan is called in from his weekend off to investigate, much to the chagrin of his demanding girlfriend.

Finding the locals uncooperative and suspicious of a city policeman he enlists the help of the friendly publican, Peggy Casey. Peg
Breige
Feb 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: irish, e-books
Set in rural Ireland in 1975, a body is found on the shores of a man made lake. Detective Sergeant Frank Ryan is sent from Dublin to investigate. There he finds Peggy Casey, youngest of the Casey family, struggling to keep the family pub The Angler’s Rest afloat while her 3 older siblings barely help, too busy getting on with their lives. I enjoyed this book, it’s different than I expected. It IS a murder mystery but that’s not the forefront of the book. It’s really a family drama, where this my ...more
Em Walker
Oct 27, 2015 rated it liked it
I picked The Lake as it was listed as a crime thriller in Amazon. Although the discovery of a body brings DS Frank Ryan to the small town where the story takes place, the book is quiet, gentle, and about people rather than procedure, mainly centred around Peggy Casey and her siblings. After the body is found life in Peggy's pub, The Anglers Rest, carries on as usual, while Peggy's relationships with her family are tested. Over the course of three days the story behind the body gradually unfolds, ...more
Kate
Jul 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, kindle
More of a romance / general fiction novel than a mystery, which is what it was billed as when I bought it on Amazon. Ultimately it's still an all right story, with an interesting backdrop and premise especially. But I still feel like I would've liked more focus on the mystery half. And maybe a bit of a deeper dive into some of the characters, to boot.
Sophie Cashdollar
Apr 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good, very good

I nearly gave this book a five. It is very good. Very atmospheric. Very descriptive. The detective Frank and Peggy are well characterized. I'm hoping for a sequel to find out what happens to them. The conclusion was very unexpected and interesting but it was a little abrupt and needed more detail and insight.
Agnieszka Higney
Jun 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Tightly woven in the Irish countryside family mystery.Few characters,one corpse,one small community.Set in 1975,quite enjoyable,but also forgotable story,about the real birth parents of the main character,whose life could be turned upside down,if only.Majority of this family story is quite delicate,slow and only the last chapters are given some life and poignancy.
MaryJane Rings
Apr 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-thriller
a good mystery with some what of a surprise ending. There was a lot of depiction of the Irish culture and also their dedication to family. Ending was a bit of a surprise but that's what makes good fiction.
Julia
Sep 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
A bit of a slow burner, more a story about family and "the body" is more of a sideline until much later in the book.
Very well written with distinct characters.

I received this book as part of the goodreads first reads giveaway
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • With Our Blessing (Inspector Tom Reynolds, #1)
  • The Old Cape Teapot
  • Dragon Knight's Shield
  • Turn a Blind Eye (DI Maya Rahman, #1)
  • 12 Bones Smokehouse: A Mountain BBQ Cookbook
  • Black December (DCI Brendan Moran #1)
  • Peril in Paris (Taylor & Rose: Secret Agents, #1)
  • What Would Oprah Do?
  • The Bluebell Informant (DS Giles, #1)
  • Brigades Of Gettysburg: The Union And Confederate Brigades At The Battle Of Gettysburg
  • Leonard Maltin's 151 Best Movies You've Never Seen
  • Dark Lies (Detective Rhodes and Radley #1)
  • Echoes in the Glass
  • All the Dead Voices (Ed Loy, #4)
  • A Very Matchmaker Christmas
  • Our Lady of Pain (Mark Tartaglia, #2)
  • Dunkirk: Retreat to Victory
  • A Killing Tree
Sheena Lambert is a writer from Dublin, Ireland.

www.sheenalambertauthor.com