Start by marking “Monty and Me” as Want to Read:
Monty and Me

Read Book

Monty and Me

Introducing loveable dog detective Monty – the must-have book this Summer!

You might think that dogs can’t understand us…but you’d be wrong.

Apart from an obsession with cheese, Monty is a perfectly rational animal. So when his beloved master is stabbed to death, Monty decides to use his formidable nose to track the killer down.

Luckily he manages to find a home with Rose Sid
Published October 22nd 2015 by Avon (first published July 2nd 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Monty and Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Monty and Me

Start your review of Monty and Me
Phrynne
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars is a very good rating from me for a book like this, partly because I am not a cosy mystery fan but also because I am not really keen on applying human characteristics to animals. So why did I read it? For a challenge of course:)
This is why challenges are good because they introduce you to books you would otherwise never pick up at all. And sometimes they turn out to be good books! In this case Monty the Labrador, failed Guide Dog for the Blind due to his passion for food, turns detective
Rachel Gilbey
Jul 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was intrigued when I saw this book announced. Then I was sceptical, about a book written partly from a dogs perspective, and finally decided to be brave and request a review copy. That was the best decision I have made.

This book is amazing. I have no idea where to start in reviewing this. What I do know is this is the first of a brand new series, and I can't wait to meet Rose Sidebottom and Monty again. This is a great mix of mystery as well as large amounts of book written from Monty's persp
Ann
Jun 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What a fantastic mystery with a pair of detectives that are smart and fun. Rose is a police woman in training as a detective and her new pet, Monty, the witness to his owner's murder. I love the fact that Monty narrates every other chapter and has the help of the animal world at his paws. Anyone who loves animals of any kind will fall for Monty. The ending set up a perfect beginning for book two and I'll be watching for it.
Kristina
Jul 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cozy-mysteries, 2015
Monty and Me by Louisa Bennett is a cute and humorous cozy mystery. Monty is a Golden Retriever (about three years old in human years) and was injured trying to save his owner, Professor Patrick Salt. Professor Salt did not make it, and Monty is very sad. Monty, though, is very determined to find the man who killed his master and friend.

Trainee Detective Constable Rose Sidebottom (can you imagine how the kids made fun of her in school) was at the scene and saw Monty. Rose went and adopted Monty
Kath
Jun 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. Read it in a day, couldn't put it down. It is a police procedural with a little bit extra, one of the witnesses to the crime is a dog, Monty. His owner has been murdered and he saw it all. He has vital evidence that could assist the police in catching the bad guy but how does a dog get that evidence over to the police without breaking any of the doggie rules. Enter the doggie Detective!
Monty is lucky enough to get adopted by one of the detectives on the team - train
Hannah Symonds
Jul 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing

I really enjoyed reading this book, I loved the story and best of all I loved Monty. He is everything you would want from a dog and he has a really good nose which is helping him track down the killer of his beloved master. I thought all the characters were great I liked Rose who is the next person Monty goes to live with and he helps her too. Wonderful little story that you just wont want to miss out on.
Anita Kovacevic
Jun 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-reviews
Pure joy to read! Intense, insightful and fun!

Monty and Me took me by surprise, not only because of the fact that it is a crime story told from the perspective of a dog (how cool is that, all you dog fans out there;)?), but by its wonderfully positive humour and charming style. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this ARC which I received in exchange for an honest review.

By page 18 I had already realized that I had smiled, giggled and even laughed more than 10 times. Anyone who loves either reading or
Lisa Heidke
Jul 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars!
I loved Monty and Me. The book was unique, entertaining, quirky and uplifting.
Mostly written from Monty the dog's POV, the story follows trainee detective Rose Sidebottom and Monty as they try to solve the murder of Monty's master. Along the way Monty is assisted/hindered by Betty the rat, Dante the magpie and the gorgeous Celeste, a rather beguiling ladybird.

Sounds strange, I know, but Monty and Me is utterly bewitching and fun from start to finish. It's a comedic murder mystery and
Kim
Jul 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, n, 2015, net-galley
I loved this one- a cosy mystery told from the canine point of view! Monty is the dog detective whose owner has been murdered. The policewoman investigating the case takes him in. Monty wants to trace the killer.
His point of view is given in some of the chapters and he has help from the animal fraternity to trace the killer. Such a cute take on a mystery story- from a dog crazy lady!

Looking forward to the next in the series! Monty is a canine hero!

With many thanks to NetGalley for the chance to
Odette
This book was a delightful read for me. I normally am not a great lover of the cosy fiction, however, Monty and Me is the best in this genre that I have read for some time.

I immediately fell in love with Monty and his animal and human friends. The animal antics and communication (of course you have to suspend belief) were great. I liked the characters, setting and the mystery which kept my guessing till towards the end.

The hardcover copy of book (library loan) was extremely attractive looking. T
Sophie
Jul 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Posted in full http://www.reviewedthebook.co.uk/2015...

Occasionally you read a book that when you put down, you kind of wonder what on earth you’ve just been reading. That isn’t always a good thing but with Monty and Me, it definitely was. Original, entertaining and very unique, Monty and Me is a book that will have you helplessly uttering the word ‘aww’ on several occasions but also it will have you completely wrapped up in the mystery of discovering who killed Monty’s master. Rose Sidebottom
Jo Hughes
Aug 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I would like to thank the publisher and Alice at Lightbrigade PR for sending me a copy of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review.

When I first heard about this book I wasn't sure what to make of it as in parts it is written from the POV of Monty the Dog. I will say that I really enjoyed this and the experience of Monty and his friends. I love that dog's communicate via 'weemails' and that a dog is able to read and access a laptop.

Monty is very lucky to be rescued by trainee Detective
Bookread2day
Nov 05, 2015 rated it really liked it

I loved reading about this loveable detective dog Monty, this is a must-have book this Christmas for animal lovers everywhere. I actually think it be great hearing more about the detective dog Monty in future books. Louisa Bennet's Golden Retriever, Pickles is the inspiration for Monty. Rose Sidebottom is a trainee detective, who has an embarrassing surname, and she has heard every single bottom joke invented. When the dog Monty's master is stabbed to death Monty tracks down the killer using his
Jody Asquith
Jul 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
People who like reading and who like dogs, I thoroughly recommend Monty and Me. I don't know how she's done it, but somehow Louisa has managed to write a thrilling detective story, suitable for adults, starring Monty Dogdetective, the golden retriever who can read, speaks rat, squirrel, bird, insect and fish, and an all-round hero to rival Inspector Rex. I laughed, I cried, I shirked work to finish the last chapters!
Maggie
Jul 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A dog detective? Bit far fetched? Perhaps, but that doesn’t detract from this engaging and enjoyable book.
I thought the descriptions of the world through the eyes (or maybe nose) of a dog were quite brilliant. Who knew about a ladybird’s secret weapon?
I thoroughly enjoyed it and look forward to reading more about Monty and Rose.
Thanks to Netgallery for giving me the chance to read and review this delightful book- definitely worth five stars from me.
Chrys
Jun 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars ☺️
This book was so much fun, it combines a genuinely interesting murder mystery with an insight into the workings of the canine mind.
Monty is a fantastic character and I am looking forward to his blog which is coming soon....
http://montydogdetective.com Hopefully there will be a whole series of Monty books. I really enjoyed it.
Lynn Siler
Aug 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook, arc-netgalley
A great read for dog lovers and those who enjoy cozy mysteries. Better written and more interesting than the usual “dog mystery” with some great action sequences where I couldn’t stop reading. I received a free copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Brenda Freeman
Jun 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Enjoyable read. Enjoyed Monty and his friends helping to solve the case. It is always interesting to see the story from the animals point of view.
Hillary
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book so much because it made think of my dog snowball who died 3 years ago in a house fire . i was having sugary and he was straying at my sister in laws house and there was fire in her house. she was not at home when the fire stared and he died from smoke and just did not wake up from it . but there is more to tell about my baby boy snowball he loved people and little children but he had a deep bark and was big dog so people were scared of him till he calmed down enough to be able ...more
Pat
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This brilliantly funny and moving book is like Agatha Christie's Midsomer Murders combined with Garth Stein's The Art of Racing in the Rain. I totally fell in love with Monty, the dog hero, as well as the young policewoman, Rose, whose life is beset with failures. One of the reasons why Monty is so endearing is because he misinterprets what Rose and other humans say, and this is where much of the humour comes from. Unlike other books where the dog is the narrator, like The Art of Racing in the R ...more
Heather
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animal-stories
Gurpreet Kaur
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it. I enjoyed reading every bit of this story. It was gripping, interesting, lovely, emotional and thrilling. Each character Monty, Betty, Dante, Celeste, Rose, Leach, Joe, Pearl, Rebecca and Paddy, I liked each of them at the fullest.

The author has written the story so beautifully and it portrays each and every vibe of the characters very accurately. The feelings of the loss Monty faced and how he actually solves the mystery was superb. It was just like a movie going on in front while re
Helen
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little hard to swallow in places, but still Monty is a charming canine hero.
Nicki
Jul 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great story, it was an easy read and great loved the story line. It could have been a young adults book, as it was so easy to read. Think I will recommend it to my niece
Kathy
Nov 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a book for all animal lovers, especially dog lovers, to read. Monty’s master, Prof. Salt, is killed. Monty, his beloved and loyal dog, is adopted by the case’s detective trainee, Rose Sidebottom, and together they work to solve the mystery of who killed the professor. Throughout the story, Rose has all sorts of problems, many of which come up because of her connection to a famous detective, her Aunt Kay, many of which come up because she is in the wrong place at the wrong time or just do ...more
Sharon
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cute, quirky, Monty is a detective with a network of animal friends.

Very entertaining
Amanda
Oct 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing

Monty is a Golden Retriever, who lives with his master, who is sadly murdered. Monty is then taken in by Detective Constable Rose Sidebottom, who is involved in the investigation of the murder of Monty’s master. Rose is becoming under increasing pressure at work, as her colleagues appear to be turning against her. Independently of Rose’s investigation, Monty & his friends decide to investigate the murder themselves and they come up with some surprising results.
I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED this book, wh
Megan
Dec 12, 2015 rated it liked it
My full post can be seen at http://publishedmoments.co.uk

Rosie Sidebottom is a trainee detective on a homicide case for Professor Salt, when she attends the crime scene she finds Monty the Golden Retriever who tried to defend and protect his master against the attacker. With Monty being the only surviving witness to the murder, Rosie vows to protect and care for Monty.

The longer Rosie owns Monty, the more she starts to believe that Monty can understand what she is saying and she truly believes t
Samirah
Sep 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Monty!

I picked this book up thinking it was a children's book but quickly learned that this a book for a more mature reader.

This story is through the perspective of Monty, the lovable golden retriever who has vowed to solve the murder of his late master, Professor Salt. In the meantime, Monty has been adopted by Rose, a trainee constable who has been assigned to the case of Professor Salts murder. Rose wants to one day become a detective like her late aunt Kay but after some recent mistak
Brenda
When Patrick Salt was murdered, his faithful companion, labrador Monty almost died trying to save his master. Seventeen stitches later Monty was recuperating after a time at the vets with Detective Rose Sidebottom. Rose was investigating Patrick’s death but she was fighting a losing battle against some particular men in her team. Monty was determined to help Rose find Patrick’s killer – after all he knew who he was by the smells which were attached to him…

Monty loved his food – it was why he’d f

• Finding Gobi: The True Story of a Little Dog and an Incredible Journey
  • Shadow
  • The Boy Who Lived with Dragons (The Boy Who Grew Dragons, #2)
  • The Paw House
  • Time and Again: Time Was / Times Change
  • Agincourt: Henry V and the Battle that Made England
  • Rewild Yourself: 23 Spellbinding Ways To Make Nature More Visible
  • Paw Tracks in the Moonlight
  • A Boy Called Hope
  • Here, There Be Dragons (Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica, #1)
  • A Study in Brimstone (Warlock Holmes, #1)
  • Diary of a Young Naturalist
  • The Wedding Guest (Alex Delaware, #34)
  • Our Stop
  • The Story of My Boyhood and Youth
  • The Doll's House (Helen Grace, #3)
  • Pop Goes the Weasel (Helen Grace, #2)
  • Fat Chance
Mystery author, Louisa Bennet, studied Literature at the University of London and went on to learn Canine Linguistics from her golden retriever, Pickles, which is how she discovered what dogs really get up to when we’re not around. Truth be told, Pickles came up with the story for the Monty And Sidebottom Mysteries, and Louisa just transcribed it. She’s faster on the keyboard and less easily distr ...more

News & Interviews