Jump to ratings and reviews

The Collectors’ Society #3

The Forgotten Mountain

After years spent in Wonderland, Alice Reeve learned the impossible was quite possible after all. She thought she left such fantastical realities behind when she finally returned to England.

Now Alice has become a member of the clandestine Collectors’ Society, and the impossible has found her again in the form of an elusive villain set on erasing entire worlds. As she and the rest of the Society race to bring this mysterious murderer to justice, the fight becomes painfully personal.

Lives are being lost. Loved ones are shattered or irrevocably altered. Each step closer Alice gets to the shadowy man she hunts, the more secrets she unravels, only to reveal chilling truths. If she wants to win this war and save millions of lives, Alice must once more embrace the impossible and make the unimaginable, imaginable.

Sometimes, the rabbit hole leads to terrifying places.

ebook

First published June 9, 2015

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Heather Lyons

24 books776 followers
Heather Lyons is known for writing epic, heartfelt love stories often with a fantastical twist. From Young Adult to New Adult to Adult novels—one commonality in all her books is the touching, and sometimes heart-wrenching, romance. In addition to writing, she's also been an archaeologist and a teacher. She and her husband and children live in sunny Southern California and are currently working their way through every cupcakery she can find.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
28 (3%)
1 star
4 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 144 reviews
Profile Image for Rachel Reads Ravenously.
1,790 reviews2,132 followers
August 29, 2016
4.5 stars!

“Madness—that old, dear friend of mine—has come home for a visit. And I welcome its return with open arms.”

In this third installment in The Collector's Society series, Alice of Wonderland must act fast in order to save those closest to her. Things become more dangerous as the members of the society uncover more truths, and unexpected information comes forth about those who have acted against them and seek to do more harm.

It's up to Alice and her people to find more answers and to save timelines in danger of being destroyed. Though the odds are against them, the fight has become personal and Alice will stop at nothing to keep those she cares about safe and unharmed.

“To follow blindly is to yield possession of your own compass.”

This is such a special and creative series, I cannot think of anything else out there like it! I love Lyon's interpretations of characters and stories from classic novels that we are already familiar with. I love the idea that characters have a hidden story outside that which we see, a very unique retelling/new creation.

In this book we got lots more answers as to who was deleting the timelines and how, now we just need the why. Whenever I read this series I always find myself wanting to run off and read or reread classic stories mentioned within. My favorite character is Grimsdyke the spider; if he wasn't a spider I would hug the crap out of that little creature. If only we could all have a cool spider assassin to keep us company wherever we went.

Action packed and thrilling from the very first page, this is a series you cannot miss out on! The ending was crazy! I cannot wait to read the next book.

“If this isn't a fairy tale, then I don't know what else to call it.”

Copy of the book was provided by author in exchange for an honest review

Profile Image for Elena Salvatore.
218 reviews110 followers
July 12, 2017
Buddy read with Irene Sim

Yeah... this book wasn't better than the last one.

In this we finally find out who the villain is but his motive behind all this is still a mystery to us.
At this point this series is getting ridiculously repetitive.
We seek answers to our questions but we get sidetracked by other things, mainly we're faced again with one of our main characters beeing in mortal danger (it's still Finn), only to find a remedy shortly after. And even tho we now know who our villain is for sure, we're nowhere near to find them.

If I didn't read this with Irene, I don't think I would have as much fun reading it as I did.
Profile Image for Irene Sim.
689 reviews76 followers
October 18, 2018
Buddy read with Elena Salvatore

For Readathon 2017: 43/53
In the category "A book from a publishing house you haven't read before"

“True love encourages you to live.”

This book was probably my most favorite of the series. It was all about the fairy tales, we all grew up with, but painted with darker shades and I loved them. And what all fairy tales have in common is how they demonstrate the power of true love and true love’s kiss.

Finn and Alice are in the forefront of the story, their relationship stronger than ever before, and Alice is in kick-ass mode which is amusing as always.

“Madness - that old, dear friend of mine - has come home for a visit. And I welcome its return with open arms.”

What I also liked was how many of the secondary characters had more extensive parts in this book and I came to care about them, especially the A.D. and Grymsdyke. The arachnid has became very dear to me, with his seriousness and chivalry, but surprisingly hasn’t managed to avert my abhorrence to spiders.

As far as the main plot of the whole series goes, despite learning the villain’s identity at last, not much progress was made. But after unpropitious prophecies, a giant-slaying, a few dwarfs and many adventures later, they finally managed to enter the villain’s lair, where they were met with their worst nightmares.

“All quests have dragons that must be slayed. And magic is never free.”

The agony is picked by this point. The ever-present questions are still unanswered. Why is the villain erasing whole worlds? What fate awaits each one of our heroes after they came face to face with their worst fears? Will Finn and Alice’s love still protect them or they will succumb to the Piper’s magic?

As I am about to start the last book, I really hope that the answers to the questions above will justify the journey this story has taken me this far….

“Coincidences, are never really coincidental at all.”
Profile Image for Yvonne.
189 reviews102 followers
January 7, 2016

Oh my god. I already declared my undying love to Heather Lyons in every one of my previous reviews but I just have to say it again ... this woman? SHE'S FREAKING AMAZING. Heather is one of the nicest and sweetest authors I've ever had "contact" with. Sadly, I haven't met her yet (sometime in the future, I hope!) but I bet she's as great in real life as on the internet.

My personal experience with trilogies or longer series is that they usually tend to get a bit boring after the first book, if they're "good", maybe only after the second but at some point there's always this "ughhhhh" feeling I get (except for awesome series like Shatter Me, VA/Bloodlines, Lux and all these) ... The Forgotten Mountain is the third book in The Collectors' Society series and well, let me tell you: It's still as amazing as the first book. Simple as that.

I really don't know how Heather is doing all this - just read the books and you'll know what I mean! The ideas she comes up with ... the worlds and settings and how everything adds up to something EPIC in the end is brilliant and I admire her a lot for that! I wish I could write stuff like this!

But enough of that now ... let's move on to the book itself and the characters! I already mentioned in the previous reviews how much I like Alice, Finn, Victor and all the others, so in this review I want to focus on some other characters. The first one is The A.D., also known as the Artful Dodger! Can I just say that I highly enjoyed his character in this book? He's so interesting and I liked how Heather told us a bit more about him and showed us some different sides ... at first I thought he's a douche but thanks to The Forgotten Mountain I know now that there's so much more about him! He's brave, loyal, smart and proves to be a really good friend that is there for you and'll fight besides you in desperate times. Same goes for the coolest spider ever - Grymsdyke. I love him so much!

I'm also utterly fascinated by all the other little stories within this book ... it's not only about Alice & Finn or The Society but about various stories from our childhood. Characters from Peter Pan, Sweeney Todd and of the Grimm Brothers' stories are featured which only made it so much more interesting and unique! The side characters in this (actually in all 3) book were great and I wanted to know more about each and every one! No matter how little their role was, I was absolutely intrigued.

I know I'm very vague in my review but I don't want to reveal anything if you haven't read it yet. And while we're at it: You should totally get your copy NOW. The story continues where we left off in The Hidden Library and therefore anything I'd say would be a spoiler to the people who haven't read the books yet ... but DAMN. I desperately need to talk about the ending and what happened to certain characters - if you've read the book and want to talk about it ... I'M HERE. I VOLUNTEER!! And to Heather: HOW CAN YOU DO THIS TO US?!? Didn't we already suffer enough? Ohhhh my god! That ending is just unbelievably cruel and makes me want to read book 4 immediately. I'm serious. I need it. *rocks and weeps in corner*

So what's my conclusion? I totally recommend this! I already got a few people into reading this series and so far they haven't been disappointed and loved it as much as I did. Please, please, please give it a try and jump down the rabbit hole yourself! Discover amazing worlds, a well thought-out story with lots of surprising plot twists, badass characters that you'll immediately fall in love with and scenes that'll leave you breathless and wanting more!

www.aworldbetweenfoldedpages.blogspot.com
Profile Image for Amy .
2,672 reviews
November 26, 2015
“Not all fairy tales have happy endings, this much is true. There are times when the innocent suffer, the good are defeated, and evil and wickedness reign supreme. I refuse to allow such an ending to this fairy tale, or my own. I cannot fail in this quest. None of us can.”

Once again, Heather Lyons has managed to leave me speechless. I am sitting here, struggling to put my thoughts and emotions into words. This is one of those books that I knew when I got it in my hands that it was going to be EPIC! And boy is EPIC the only way I can describe it! The Forgotten Mountain does not disappoint. To say my mind has been blown is a complete understatement…..

The Forgotten Mountain picks up right where The Hidden Library left off. The quest to find their loved ones is critical. Finding the evil mastermind who is destroying the timelines before it’s too late, is of the up-most importance. Alice will stop at nothing to find the answers she seeks. She must trust in her self and what her instincts tell her. “Hear me now: I am coming for you. If you think I will not hunt you down and extract payment for your sins, then you don’t know my story well enough.” The wind howls incoherently around me. “Your head,” I shout, my voice is loud and clear in the insanity of the crumbling cave, “IS MINE!” As the mystery slowly unravels, unbelievable truths will be discovered, questions will be answered. Just when I think I’ve figured things out, Heather Lyons throws in a twist that has me questioning everything that I thought I knew.

The Forgotten Mountain was a fantastic read. The writing so unique, so captivating. I literally felt like I was right there in the story with these characters. I have no choice but to get lost in the words and the world that Heather Lyons created. There was no way I was going to put this down. I doubt that even wild horses could stop me. I was on pins and needles waiting to see what would happen next. There were so many twists and turns. Nothing and no one was safe.

The Forgotten Mountain introduced a lot of new characters and timelines. I loved the way that Heather Lyons flawlessly connected the stories together. I felt that the story was perfectly paced. It was full of action, suspense, romance, and adventure. There was never a dull moment.

Finn and Alice…I have been in love with those two for such a long time and they do not disappoint. Their love, connection and strength are so strong. “Hold on, love. Even if it requires me moving heaven and earth, I will find a way to fix this. All I ask of you is to hold on.” “Finn is my family. He is my heart, my north star.” “We are partners. We are equals. We are, as he is so often to remind me, binaries of the very best kind.” -These quotes are the perfect representation of their love for one another. And you know what they say, true love is the most powerful of all love.

The end….I have no words. Seriously. My mind has been blown. Did this really just happen? Has this been the truth all along? Is this just some crazy twist in the Pied Pipers game? I have so many more questions and I can not wait to get my answers.

The Forgotten Mountain takes you on such an incredible journey. You will be captivated from start to finish. The writing and storytelling is just brilliant. Honestly, there aren’t enough words. I can not recommend this book/this series enough. I am so excited to see how everything will come together in the end!

* I was provided an ARC copy of this book, via InkSlinger PR, in exchange for an honest review*

*My review can also be read at: http://onceuponabookblog.com/2015/06/...
Profile Image for Michelle .
1,990 reviews222 followers
June 25, 2015
**You can see this full review and more at Book Briefs: http://bookbriefs.net**

Note: I will try my best, but there will probably be some spoilers from the first two books. If you are new to the series, check out my review of The Collectors' Society HERE and my review of the Hidden Library HERE. These books need to be read in order.
The Forgotten Mountain is the third book in the New Adult Fantasy Series, The Collectors' Society. And I have to first mention how much I love these covers. They are some of my favorite covers for any series. Which is fitting because The Collectors' Society is ONE OF MY FAVORITE SERIES OF ALL TIME.  The First book, The Collectors' Society, was one of my favorite books of 2014, and The Hidden Library was another favorite. I can't remember a series where every single book has gotten a full 5/5 stars from me. But truth be told, the books in the Collectors' Society deserve more than 5 stars each. This is such an amazing series, and Heather Lyons really ripped my heart out with the Forgotten Mountain.

The Forgotten Mountain picks up right where the Hidden Library left off, with that awful ending. Because of what is going on with my poor Finn, a lot of this book is told through Alice's point of view. I really do love Alice. She is so strong and loyal and sharp. I love her ability to see through everything and read people so well. And I love that we still get words of advice from the catepillar. Heather Lyons has such a way with words, everytime I see her talk about someone from wonderful, I feel like I am reading Lewis Carroll himself. She has captured the essence of the books in her timelines so well, all the while putting her own crazy spin on them. In the Forgotten Mountain we get to see some Grimm Brother tales and their time lines. Creepy places, they are. Think the Brother's Grimm movie with Matt Damon, and not the Disney version of the tales.

I was so proud of myself for calling one of the villians in this book, but that one thing (lygari) was the only thing I seemed to get right. Heather Lyons continues to surprise and delight me with her masterful writing and story telling. I am so in awe of Heather and her writing. I read The Forgotten Mountain with wide eyes and dropped jaw, bouncing on the edge of my seat the whole time. The characters all hold a place in my heart, some I hate, some I love, and some totally creep me out, but everyone in this very large cast of characters are so distinct that they stay with me long after I put this book down.

Heather is the best at weaving different characters, clues, and minor plot points that come into play later. I just love reading her books, even when she does things that make me want to cry. Her writing is so exciting and emotional. I want to live inside this series. I just love it so much. Everyone needs to read these books. If you are looking for a fantasy series, an action series, a series for lovers of classic literature, a romance, or just a series that is original and so well done- you are looking at the Collectors' Society Series! It is all of those things and so much more. The ending of this book completely wrecked me. I need the next book now. I cannot say it enough, this is one of my all time favorite series. Read this series! If you haven't you are doing yourself a disservice.

blue5

Other books in the Collector's Society Series:

22735431 The Hidden LIbrary Cover The Forgotten Mountain - cover

This review was originally posted on Book Briefs

Profile Image for The Book Trollop.
464 reviews37 followers
June 25, 2015
By the end of this book, I was rocking in a corner, pulling my hair out... Alice style.

Seriously, Lyons, do we have to have this discussion of leaving me hanging, AGAIN?? You evil, sadistic woman, who happens to be enormously talented!!

Sigh, even though I think you are evil, I am so glad you are on this planet to give me some great drugs to get lost in. Total oblivion is achieved while reading your books, and even if you leave me cussing you out and cursing your existence, I am always itching for more. And a sick, twisted, piece of me (ok maybe all of me) loves the high I get... just not the withdrawals...

This book broke my heart, mended my heart, had my anxiety at near max capacity and then the ending just left me in a pile of WTF!!!!

I had so many scenarios of what was happening running through my brain, even talking about them in the secret group had me developing even more!! I just NEED to know and it makes me utterly depressed that there is only ONE more book being written! I feel like it is a disservice to the world to let these characters go.

I don't wanna...EVER!!

Alice is exactly where she was left in The Hidden Library, picking up the pieces of her very broken home and heart. But she has one objective and you can use your own imagination to determine what that exactly is. She has new sidekicks and both of them grew on me in this book, especially the A.D. I thought he was a douche in the previous books and even though he pretty much still is, I can now determine his main objective and it is not as sketchy as I previously thought.

Alice kicks ass, takes names but is very smart in her quests. Even if it would kill her, she was determined to do what she had to do, no matter whose toes she stepped on or head she chopped off...

This book was bloody brilliant and action packed with the right amount of love, sexy, and drama to keep you invested and turning the pages until you are weeping with heartaches and WTFs at the very end.

My only advice is to stock up on comfort food and alcohol, lots of both in order to get through the months it will take until the final book is out.

Umm do I even have to rate this book??

Ok fine, 5 "Sadistic, evil, WTF, WOMAN" Stars
Profile Image for Rebecca.
2,533 reviews40 followers
5++

After the Kindle tossing cliffhanger from The Hidden Library, I have waited on bated breath for the continuation of Alice, Finn, and gang. This book resumes shortly after the end of THL. Like its predecessors, there is nonstop action from the first page until the last. Alice is on a rampage and will do anything to find out Gabe’s true identity. Despite all odds, she also believes she will find Finn and Victor. She is fiercely determined and lets no one stand in her way. It’s one of the many things I love about her, she doesn’t wait around waiting on others. She simply takes charge and does what she does best.

I do not play by his rules. I play by mine and mine alone.

Ms. Lyons definitely keeps this series refreshing with her knowledge of literature. She is able to seamlessly blend classic literature with unique twists and turns at every corner. I learned more about fairy tales reading this book than I ever did as a child. There are also interesting new characters introduced in this installment that only add to the rich storyline. The A.D. has been present in the other books, but he takes on a more prominent role as he assists Alice. I found him to be so intriguing and can’t wait to see more of him in the next book. My adoration for Mary only grows, as does my suspicion of The Librarian. This is the most unique cast of characters in any Fantasy Series I’ve read.

I thought nothing could top the ending of THL. Sadly, I was wrong because this one is a doozie! I never could have predicted what happened and weeks later still cannot truly understand its full meaning. I will definitely be on pins and needles until the fourth and final installment. I have complete faith in Alice to be the Queen she is meant to be.

“She is my fairytale come to life.”

If you are looking for a unique and action filled series, I can’t recommend The Collectors’ Society enough!
Profile Image for Grace.
1,938 reviews89 followers
November 6, 2016

Warning: To avoid spoilers, do not read this review unless you've read book 2, the Hidden Library.

The one good thing about binge on a series that is already completed, is you don't have to deal with the reader withdrawal/angst following a cliffhanger. You just start the next book. And that's exactly what I did at the end of book two.

To recap, 3 huge things happened:
Finn was stabbed with a glowing sword.
The catalyst for the story Finn and Victor were in, was destroyed.
Finn and Victor enter Sara's book world.

The key is that we the readers know the last part. Alice does not. So the majority of this book is in her POV. We are left wondering, did he die? Will Alice ever see Finn again?

Those questions will be answered, but the biggest surprise for me in this book was how much I've grown to love Alice. She truly kicks ass in this book!! Sure, she showed potential in the other books, but here, it was undeniable.

I do not play by his rules. I play by mine and mine alone.

She is desperate to reunite with Finn and truly seems to take charge among the Society members. Throughout this book, these qualities shine through:
Courage
Intelligence
Determination
Selflessness
Passion
Finn is her binary and she's not letting him go without a fight. And without giving anything away, she uses all of the skills above to make things right.

And although the man I love is here with me, his skin beneath my hands, his head in my lap, I miss him so fiercely I feel like howling into the heavens.

The other big surprise for me in this book was that for the first time EVER, I actually liked a spider. Yes, I suffer from Arachnophobia. However, Grymsdyke won me over. Not only is he protective of Alice and her friends, but he has a sense of humor that lightened the intense storyline.

I incline my head. “We would be much appreciative of your protection.”
The spider drops to the table and kneels before me.

Just like rest of this series, this installment takes us within books we know well, with this book focusing on the Grimm fairy tales. If you know them well, you know they are a bit dark and don't always have happy endings. So that made me edgy. What I loved in this book was how cleverly the author tied in these tale with the main villain. Things started to make more sense, and while I always suspected the Society members had one hell of a fight against them, I was impressed with how they started to figure things out. What they didn't have was a clear plan to stop the madness?

“We are in a fairy tale, and sometimes, in fairy tales, you must have faith that magic will hold strong.”

It takes some time for the title of the book to actually come to light, but when it did, that's when I really started to get nervous. And then Alice ends up in a place I never expected. My first thought: WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?!?! And then: NOOOOOOOOO!!! Ok, so it’s not the worse place to be, it just wasn't the right place to be. Now I'm distraught, and that's where the story ends. SON OF A . . . . ! If I didn't have the ARC for book 4, I would have gone into full stalker mode on this author. Instead, it’s time to get some answers and read the finale to this amazing series.

For more reviews, visit
description description description description
Profile Image for Kathryn.
659 reviews
June 25, 2015

I love how I am on this amazing roller coaster... That I keep looking toward that amazing finish yet there are so many fantastic thrills to keep us entertained..Each book in The Collector's Society has thrilled me so much and I keep thinking I will get an idea of how this will end...yet..even though I get some answers, I am still at a loss at how all this will wrap up...and that leaves me so excited...

The Forgotten Mountain gives us some pretty big shocks and surprises. You slowly keep putting the puzzle pieces together totally being astounded by all that is happening. Eeeeepppp!!!

And Alice.. She is truly becoming my all time favorite female character.. And this says so much...
Heather Lyons has created such a complex character in her. I love her honesty, loyalty, strength.. Yet all the while her vulnerability, skepticism, and bossiness... Truly...I love her!!!!

And I gotta say...My curiosity of the Librarian probably rivals that of Alice's.. Lol
I loved how AD has gotten more time in this book and that we got to know him better...His personality is all over the place and he adds so much dimension to the story.
But don't forget the dynamic duo of Alice and Finn...just like Alice has become one of my all time favorite characters, these two together are one of the top couples.
Together they are invincible. At least I thought...
So much happens in this book that as I came upon the ending, I am now dying to get to the next installment. We are left with such a cliffhanger that OMG...Seriously...what is going to happen next??
I am literally shaking in fear at what will come for these characters.
The Forgotten Mountain is another epic episode in The Collector's Society. It grabs you from the very beginning and holds you...keeping you on the edge of your seat as each chapter goes by...until you literally fall off the cliff.. LOL..
This is a phenomenal series..The Forgotten Mountain just adds to how awesome it is...
If you haven't started it yet...what are you waiting for??
Jump in now and experience all this fabulousness with me!!
October 3, 2015
I loved the first two books and had to dive right into this one.

"Each of us here has a story, but it may not be the one you think you know...."

Truer words have never been spoken...This author does a fabulous job on depicting how these magnificent classical stories will turn out and brought to life. This author also did a lot of research of each character to carefully make sure nothing was out of place with the original classics that are featured in this magnificent, mystical, magical, and we'll written twists and turns with the plot of this story. This author has a writing style that will keep you guessing yet entertained from beginning to end. She brought many of my fairy tale classics to life and slammed them into the nineteenth century where each character felt lost and had to adapt in order to survive depending on where they were thrown into and even in the different timelines in each setting throughout the plot of the story. I love the love each haracter had for one another and each one ws from a different timeline and barely knew each other at first. Each character had a different life than their authors actually predicted them to and such dark pasts which made this book that much more intriguing. I have fallen in love with these books and with the huge cliffhanger at the end, I hope their adventures are not over yet and I will be excited and anxious to read more. I highly recommend this read too.
Profile Image for Livia.

Length: 11 hrs and 39 mins
Release Date: 06-14-17
Publisher: Audible Studios
Writing style: Dual POVs
Cover design: Every single one of these covers are so well done. I love it!
Ratings

Overall ★★★★★
This was such an engrossing and quick read. I finished it in 24 hours which is a rare thing for me to do.

Performances ★★★★★ Gemma Dawson continued her excellent voice acting in this thrilling 3rd novel. Bravo!

Story ★★★★★ What a ride! I am loving this series so much! The Society members had to find and stop the culprit who has been erasing timelines. I jumped right into the 4th and final novel, The Lost Codex, to find out how it all would end for our infamous literary characters.
Profile Image for Nicole M. Hewitt.
1,389 reviews284 followers
June 26, 2015
This review and many more can be found on my blog: Feed Your Fiction Addiction

I feel like I’m starting to repeat myself when it comes to these books. It’s impossible to describe how incredibly smart, heart-wrenching, pulse-pounding, romantic and full of humor the books in this series are! If you are 18+ and you are even remotely interested in any type of retelling, I am telling you to read these books NOW! You will not be sorry!!

What I LOVED:

Everything I loved about the first two books.
I know that’s a bit of a cop-out, but I honestly feel like I could just parrot back everything I wrote in my review of The Collectors’ Society (click on the link to read it, if you haven’t!) – not because there’s nothing to say, but just because the books are so consistently amazing that I’d just be repeating myself!

Fairy tales!
In this third book in the series, we get to see some fairy tale Timelines! And, of course, these aren’t the Disney princess fairy tales that we watched as kids. (Not that there aren’t some true fairy tale moments!) Like everything in this series, we see the darker, grittier side to the stories (the stories closer to the way they were originally written). That’s right, this book serves up the Grimm version of the fairy tales. And let’s face it, most of those old stories were pretty twisted! As always, Lyons masterfully weaves the characters and circumstances of these fairy tale stories into the main plotline. If you’re a fan of retellings, you will be more than satisfied!
The mystery unfolds. In this third book, we find out much more about who is truly behind the danger to the Timelines. As Alice and company struggle to save the people they love and the lives of strangers in countless Timelines, they start to unravel the mysteries of the ultimate villains’ true goals. There are lots of revelations and lots of surprises and some incredibly heart-stopping moments thrown in!

Alice.
Okay, I know I said I wasn’t going to repeat myself, but I have to point out that Alice somehow becomes an even stronger heroine than she was in the first two books. Alice is never a damsel in distress (even when there’s someone kicking her while she’s down)! She is every inch a Queen of Wonderland, and you can’t forget that for a moment!!

That ending!
The ending to this book is pretty much diabolical. It is possible that it will induce insanity in both the book’s characters and readers alike. You have been warned.

The negatives:

I got nothin’.
Are there some? Probably. Okay, yeah, at one point I thought that our team of happy heroes was jumping into danger without a solid plan one time too many, but they were really desperate to rid the world of the evil villains and they had all this faith. So, minor, minor detail really. Once again, the only real negative is that I have to wait for the fourth and final book!!

This series has definitely made it onto my all-time favorites list! An enthusiastic 5/5 stars!

***Disclosure: This book was provided to me by the author in exchange for an honest review. No other compensation was given and all opinions are my own.***
Profile Image for Steph.
993 reviews85 followers
September 2, 2016
"Coincidences, the Caterpillar used to tell me, are never really coincidental at all."

NO NO NO NO!!!!! The book can't end like this!!!!! Oooh, you're a devious one, Ms. Lyons.

When last we met Alice (yes, that Alice), and Finn (as in Huckleberry), the couple was separated by space and time, danger a palpable thing in both worlds. Finn and Victor are trying to find a way back to present day NYC, while Alice and Mary refuse to give up the hunt, even though everyone else at the Collectors' Society believe them to be dead, destroyed by a fiend hellbent on eliminating the lives associated with popular books. As the clues mount, the only thing Alice can count on is that there are no coincidences in life, and all of the fingers are pointing to one seriously deranged monster. In the race to save Finn, Alice, Mary Lennox (The Secret Garden), A.D., the Artful Dodger (Oliver Twist), Victor Frankenstein (Frankenstein; or, The Modern Prometheus), Grymsdyke the spider (Alice's Adventures in Wonderland) and the rest of the Collectors' Society crew will uncover a plot so devious that it's worthy of its own book. But the real danger is yet to come when they're forced to enter the terrible world portrayed in the Grimm Brothers' fairy tales to chase after the man controlling all of the puppet strings.

Nnnngh! What the actual fuck?! I desperately need the fourth and final book in this series like YESTERDAY! See, this is the only problem with starting a series that hasn't yet been completed, the authors probably laugh and rub their hands together in maniacal glee at us poor readers' frustration. I'm onto you, writers!!!!

THE FORGOTTEN MOUNTAIN is the third book in the incredibly creative and über imaginative The Collectors' Society series. This book starts off immediately where book two finished, with Alice and Mary on a revenge mission, determined to find the man who trapped their lovers in a book then destroyed that world. I've literally not stopped reading this series since it landed in my greedy little hands, and for someone who isn't a huge fan of the fantasy genre, that's huge.

The introduction of new characters, particularly the evil ones, was brilliant! I quickly found myself googling various books to see what I could discover about the newbies. This book has a very different feel to it than the others. This book was darker, edgier. And the end? Let's just say it's a good thing Ms. Lyons isn't here because she'd get a piece of my mind for leaving me hanging in the most dramatic of ways. Ugh!!!! I'm counting the minutes until I can get my hands on the final book in this mentally exhausting yet awesome series!!

Bottom Line: The Collectors' Society is truly a must read series for fans of just about any genre!! I'm biting my nails in anticipation/desperation for the final piece of the story in The Lost Codex. - See more at: http://www.theromancereviews.com/view...

The Romance Review - See more at: http://www.theromancereviews.com/view...
Profile Image for ᒪᗴᗩᕼ .
1,429 reviews136 followers
November 19, 2016
WONDERFULLY DARK AND SERIOUSLY TWISTED…

Book Title: The Forgotten Mountain
Author: Heather Lyons
Series: The Collector's Society #3
Genre: Adult, Time-Travel, Fantasy
Source: Own Kindle E-Book

House on a Hill by The Pretty Reckless
--some of the lyrics for this song…
Living, living still, their intention is to kill and they will, they will
But the children are doing fine, I think about them all the time
Until they drink the wine and they will, they will, they will
In this house on a hill
The dead are living still, their intention is to kill and they will, they will
Keep your children safe inside, out of pocket, out of mind
Until they drink the wine and they will, they will, they will♫

⇝Ratings Breakdown⇜

Flow: 4.5/5
Backdrop (World Building): 5/5
Originality: 5+/5
Book Cover: 5/5
Ending: 4.5/5 Cliffhanger: Huge cliffy, I was like WTF?

Will I continue this series? Yes!!!

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆ 4.8/5 STARS ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

⇝My Thoughts⇜

This edition of The Collector's Society is a very dark one, it's got this whole weird vibe to it. This particular book has a lot of Grimm Fairy Tale references. Apparently those are some dark tales. While, I didn't enjoy this book as much as the last one, because I seriously loved The Hidden Library, I still really liked The Forgotten Mountain. This Series overall is a wonder to read and I highly recommend it.
My song choice reflects the darkness and bleakness of this story the best I could find, but you really won't understand it unless you read it, and even then you might not.
⇝Sex Factor⇜ Yes, there is explicit sex, but not overdone at all. It's minimal compared to all that you get within this series.

description
Profile Image for Maria's Book Blog.
340 reviews160 followers
June 25, 2015
This is why I love reading!!! This. Series. Right. Here.

I continue to be amazed by Heather Lyons’ imagination. Each new revelation blows my mind and leaves me in complete awe of this author. There’s so much detail, and so many twists and turns. These books are without a doubt highly addictive page turners!! Ms. Lyons has created such an elaborate fictional world using a cast of classic fictional favorites. I love when new characters are introduced, it’s like being on one of those celebrity spotting tours in Hollywood! The excitement is the same, I can assure you.

I don’t want to say too much and give away the story line, but I will say the fight again the Pied Piper and his associates is still on, and Instead of just navigating the timelines of the classics, we now have fairy tale timelines as well! Can it get any better than that?! Oh I’m sure it could. Each time I think Ms. Lyons has exceeded my expectations she always manages to kick it up a notch. Each installment in this series is without a doubt better than the last.

We get a closer look at the A.D. this time around and surprisingly enough he’s really not that bad! Sure he’s a womanizer from time to time, but he has quite a few redeeming qualities. He would do anything for the society and his friends, including putting himself into dangerous situations. He’s strong and extremely competent in battle making him a desirable partner, and his love of adventure puts him right in the middle of every mission. I can easily see him and Alice becoming the best of friends. They really made a connection, not a romantic one, and their respect and admiration for each other grew noticeably. It made me feel all warm and tingly inside! And I may have a teeny tiny crush on the A.D. now.

Alice has always been pretty badass in my opinion, but this new scorned, take-no-prisoners Alice is freakin awesome! From the very beginning she’s in recon mode, determined to make everyone who played a hand in the attack on the society headquarters pay big time. A person who feels like they’ve got nothing left to lose makes for a very dangerous adversary, as Alice proves time and time again throughout the story. There’s no doubt in my mind that she will prevail and come out on top. The story of Alice in Wonderland was always my favorite, so being able to see her brought to life in another story makes me love the original book even more.

I took my time reading this one because I just didn’t want it to end! The Forgotten Mountain is definitely the most action packed and intriguing book in the series so far. I can’t wait to find out what happens next! I must admit that I typically only read series that are complete, meaning all of the books are out and available, and the story itself has ended. My patience is severely lacking so I need the next book STAT, but when it comes to The Collectors’ Society I will take these books any which way I can get them! So if that means waiting months in between each release then so be it. You can’t rush perfection, and that’s exactly what this is.
Profile Image for ❤ Jane ❤.
287 reviews
July 5, 2015
(See review with GIFs here.)

So I was on my way home from work, reading innocently on the train when I turned the page and was greeted by the words “A Bibliography”. I barely whispered “WTF” when it started to sink in that I alREADY FINISHED THE BOOK!

Now excuse me while I arrange my bedraggled thoughts.

I am deeply grateful the day I decided that I would review the first book in the series, The Collectors’ Society. As a matter of fact, this is one of my favourite underrated series out there.

If you haven’t started this series yet, 'tis most imperative that thou start at once. (How did I do?)

The Forgotten Mountain starts on where The Hidden Library left off. It is also the creepiest book from the series so far. There were moments when reading in the dark scares me. But that’s probably because I’m a huge scaredy-cat. Seriously though, this books is full of dark and slightly gory moments. But even with gloom, the humour is still there. I would like to add the lines that made me laugh out loud but that would spoil you lot, so maybe another time. ;D

Half of the book focuses on Alice. Actually, we had some major girl power here. BADASSERY!

The boys are missing and it’s finally time for Alice and Mary to team up and show who’s boss. It’s also a great change as we’ve been having Alice and Finn narrate their journey from book 2.

The main theme in this book is vengeance. More specifically, wring Gabe’s neck. Also, it’s about time we delve into fairy tales! Yeah, I said FAIRY TALES! I didn’t grew up with fairy tales. Disney movies, yes. But reading bed time stories isn’t really common here in the Philippines. Maybe that’s why I’m so fond of them now, I have a lot to catch up to. And all I can think about as the story progressed is how their luck will eventually run out and someone’s going to die. You’ll just have to read and see what happens.

The Forgotten Mountain is the best one yet in the series as it takes Alice’s journey to the next level while keeping the hilarious lines and swoon-worthy moments. Dark, chilling and intense. The Forgotten Mountain will leave your mouth hanging open. (seriously, this is what happened to me on the train.)
Profile Image for Angela Cramer.
174 reviews5 followers
Review:

*** I received an ARC copy of The Forgotten Mountain from Heather Lyons via InkSlinger PR for an honest review.***

As the primary behind Evermore Books, I am charged with assigning reviews, per each reviewers preferred genre and time available. When The Forgotten Mountain crossed my path, I was so intrigued by the blurb, I kept it for myself. Normally, we would have passed on a third installment when the first two had not yet been read, but I gave it a shot.

Although some of the past was hard to grasp and follow, Ms. Lyons did a good job on making me feel that I could infer what had happened in the first two installments. I mean where else will literary figures become heros and villans and be able to travel through time, by writing themselves into a book from a specific time period.

Alice is banished from Wonderland and has fallen in love, true love (and yes, I can hear the ogre from The Princess Bride saying those words as I write), with none other than Finn. Oh, that is Huckleberry Finn, by the way.

While I am glad that Alice has gone from the simple girl in Disney’s version of the iconic story, to a bad-ass fighting Queen who is not late for an important date, but rather just in time to save her lover from certain death at the hands of the one and only Pied Piper, I wanted more. I also had to fight the urge to shudder, at each and every mention of Grymsdyke, Alice’s assassin spider (healthy shudder here). Yes, I am majorly, afraid of spiders. The damn thing would only have to show itself and I would have died from cardiac arrest, let alone a bite from it’s horrific fangs. Grymsdyke aside, the secondary characters of Victor Frankenstein, son of THE doctor, Mary, Marianne, Wendy and Brom Van Brunt helpt to make this fantastical adventure one worth taking.
Without giving away major spoilers, Ms. Lyons has woven a tale of intrigue, true love (yep heard it again) and took me along for the ride, so that I not only want to read the first two installments, but wonder why she has not been scooped up by a publishing house. The story is unique and has twists and turns throughout the entire book. My only regret is there is yet another cliffhanger at the end, and I wish it had been a full manuscript.
Profile Image for BookHookup.
1,403 reviews110 followers
July 5, 2015
My goodness…I’m exhausted and exhilarated at that same time. What Ms. Lyons can do with just a few simple words on a page is amazing! I willingly climbed onto the roller coaster and let her take control. The intense emotions, the speed of the storyline, and fierceness of the characters stole my breath away. Oh my how I love this series!

I don’t even know what to say about this book other than to tell you that if you’re not reading this series you are doing yourself a disservice. The creativity of the world that Ms. Lyons has created is all encompassing. From the very first page, you are immersed in a world that feels both familiar and strange and your heart is intertwined with characters who feel like friends and family. In this installment, we’re treated to even more evil and, thankfully, more romance. We watch our Alice be even fiercer than she’s been before. We watch her defend her love, her friends, and even those she doesn’t know. And our heart grows ten sizes as we experience the love between her and Finn. I became even more invested in the other characters as well, my heart beat wildly for Victor, for Mary and for the A.D. And…I just can’t with that ending…where are we going, what will happen…what is real…oh Jace!!!

There’s too much action, too much adventure and too much mystery for me to describe it here. You have to experience it…you just have to! So, please don’t wait. Go get the first three books in this series, prepare yourself a comfortable sitting nook, and get started…you won’t regret a single minute!
Profile Image for Cynthia.
248 reviews26 followers
August 21, 2015
Heather's writting continues to amaze each and everytime, just when I think that this is it the author adds another element into the book and shock me once again! The book is very complex but the author puts it all together so effortlessly that it is just flows so well!The heroine in this book needs no prince charming to save her, she saves and protects herself! Alice has all the best qualities a heroine can have is fierce, loyal, smart, and loves fearlessly! The amazing side characters this book have are the best and none compare to the way they work together to seek and complete their missions.

This book was a 5+* read for me and all ya and fantasy lovers this is one you do not want to miss!

Pick up the first book The Collectors Society and get lost down the rabbit hole with Alice!
Profile Image for Monique V.
545 reviews66 followers
January 21, 2018
WHAT IN THE BLOODY HELL WAS THAT ENDING!!!

Do you like fairytales? Do you like incredible fast paced action? Kick-butt female characters? Do you like feeling like you are in a movie while reading? Do you like spider assassins? If your answer was yes to any of the questions then read this series because this series has a little bit of everything. In fact this series is one of the most original and complex series I have ever read!

I am a big fan of the show Once upon a time, and this series reminds me of it except it's darker, and the content is more HBO than ABC. I love how brutal and devastating this series is. Each book has managed to surprise me which is very hard to do. I highly recommend this book to anyone who is looking for a fast paced, extremely entertaining series. It's great for those in reading slumps, trust me I have tested it. Now go and read this series!!

Profile Image for Andrea.
Author 31 books638 followers
June 25, 2015
Just when I think Heather Lyons can't possibly outdo herself ... she does. The Forgotten Mountain is a perfect addition to a spectacular series. Heather continues to amaze me with her creativity, words, heroes, villains and epic love stories.

We join Alice just after the chaos and insanity that was the ending of The Hidden Library. What has become of everyone? Who is injured? What happened?! Thankfully Alice takes us on a journey like no other.

I find it almost impossible to to give a review without a shred of a spoiler so I will just say, fans of this series will be in awe. Fans of an epic and beautiful love story will be in awe. Fans of adventure and mystery will be in awe. In essence, the reader will be in awe. 5,000 stars is not enough.
Profile Image for Meredith .
251 reviews148 followers
May 1, 2016
The Forgotten Mountain is Heather Lyons' ninth published book - and I've read all nine of her books and each and every one is an epic win. I'm actually getting to a point where I can't formulate words to describe how amazing Heather and her books are - or I repeat the same things I've said in every single review of her books, but they're all still 100% true - Heather is an amazing writer and storyteller. She creates amazing worlds that feel real and multi-dimensional characters that feel like real people. I'm always anxious for her to publish a new book and when I do find out she has a new one coming out, I freak out!!

The second I picked up The Forgotten Mountain, I fell right back into this amazing world. It was like no time had passed since I finished The Hidden Library (which I read in February). I know it's probably cheesy, but it felt like coming home after a long vacation.

Alice has always been a fierce, epic character - and one of my all-time favorite MC's. But in The Forgotten Mountain, she was especially so - and sometimes a bit scary, too! So you have an idea what I mean, here are some epic/scary quotes from Alice:

"Madness - that old, dear friend of mine - has come home for a visit. And I welcome its return with open arms."

"I do not play by his rules. I play by mine and mine alone."

But she was scary because she was determined and loyal - to Finn, to the other members of the Collectors' Society, to Wonderland and, most importantly, to herself. With every book, she keeps growing, maturing and coming into herself. And I love that about her.

As always, I adored Finn! His... predicament in this book... Was terrifying and upsetting and heartbreaking. The cliffhanger from the last book was RIDICULOUS and I'm still upset we had to wait so long to learn his fate! But I loved where his character went in this book. Alice and Finn are one of my top favorite ships and I absolutely adore them together! They make each other stronger and bring out the best in each other! And then the way the book ended...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But I'll get more into that in a bit.

I still love Mary and still want more of her story. I'd love a novella from her POV or a spin-off with her. I'd love to see her back in her world, especially. I think that would be epic and hilarious! *Stares at Heather... Makes puppy eyes...* She's just an amazing character - smart, determined, loyal. She's not the best fighter, but she holds her own in a fight and pulls her weight in other ways. I adore her and Victor and the way their relationship always thrives, despite the things they've been through. Although that ending...!!!!!!!!!!!

Of all the characters, the Artful Dodger (A.D.) had the most character growth in The Forgotten Mountain. His character always felt a bit one-sided in the previous books, but we saw a LOT of different sides to him and learned a lot more about him this time. He's a fierce fighter, smart, sly and a ladies man - or so he thinks! I'm definitely excited to see more of him in the next book!

I really like Wendy and Sarah and I'm hoping they get happy endings. Marianne is still a great character, as well. I like the way she fits in with the group, despite their uncertainty about her in The Hidden Library. I still like the Librarian, but I don't really trust her anymore.. And I'm DYING to know her real identity! And Brom, as usual, was a great character.

The pacing in this book was excellent. There was always enough action to keep the plot moving forward, but not so much that it felt exhausting. Heather's writing gets better with every book she does - and that's saying a lot because her writing has always been exceptional! Her writing - coupled with the plot and where the characters all were in their journey(s) - made this book the best one in the series (so far) - and again, that's saying a lot because I've loved every book in this series! All the characters are at the height of their character development; they're all fierce and strong and loyal. The plot is intriguing and the story really hit a major turning point. No one is holding back now! It was epic and amazing!

And then that ending!!!!!!!!! I thought the cliffhanger at the end of The Hidden Library was evil but this... this.. this... GAH!!!! HEATHER, WHY?!?!?!?!?!?! These status updates from Goodreads basically sum up my feelings at the end of the book:

87.0% "Ooohhhh...... *Gulps*"
88.0% "Oh crap!!"
88.0% "OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!"
91.0% "!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????!!!!!!!!!!!?????"
97.0% "Omfg!!!!!!!!!!!! No no no no!!!!!!!!!"
97.0% "!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Seriously, I have no idea how I'm going to survive the next few months, waiting for book four to come out!

So, obviously, I adored this book! I adore all of Heather's book! And - as usual - I HIGHLY recommend this book (plus the first two, if you haven’t read them). Plus all her other books. All of them. Like.. Go read them all right now. I’ll wait… *Sits, stares creepily at you…*

You can also find more from me on my blog: Pandora's Books
Profile Image for Cassie C.
631 reviews62 followers
August 17, 2015
After I'm done rocking in the corner from the ending of this book, I'll write my review

Update 8/16/15:

After that awful cliffhanger ending in The Hidden Library, I was more than ready to read the third book in The Collectors' Society series. Basically, I was looking like this

description

Heather Lyons has once again amazed me, and she has once again caused me great pain (both good and bad) after finishing The Forgotten Mountain. She is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors, and continues to amaze me with her storytelling abilities. I can easily say that this is one of my ALL TIME FAVORITE SERIES and I don't say that lightly. This series is just that good. I can't even begin to describe how much you need to check out this series....but to put it simply, read this series now. You won't regret it.

From the very beginning, I have loved this series with all of my heart, and this installment is certainly no exception. This novel picks up right where we left off, and never slows down. Heather Lyons takes the reader on another whirlwind adventure, but this time through Grimm's Fairy Tales. Her writing is gorgeous and I love how artfully she weaves different characters and elements from a variety of stories into one cohesive plot. I don't know where she gets this ability from, but she better keep drawing from that magic because it is something that leaves you amazed. Even the littlest things that you think might not be important come into play later on. It takes a truly gifted author to be able to create such a story, one that transports you to another world (or in this case worlds), and makes you feel as if you are right there experiencing everything right alongside the characters. Her writing is the perfect mix of excitement and emotion.

One of the best things about this novel (and series in general) is the characters. As Finn is incapacitated at the beginning (and for quite a bit of the story), we read mostly from Alice's POV. I can't emphasize enough just how much I love Alice. She is strong, loyal, and one of the best female leads I have ever read. Alice sticks to her guns, and is quick-witted and sharp. She has this ability to see through everyone and get a great read on people, as well as every situation. Obviously, this is quite useful. Alice will go through anything and everything to fight for the ones she loves and cares about the most. The Collectors' Society and it's inhabitants have become her family, and no one will get in her way once Alice has made up her mind and decided to fight. However, I loved that Heather Lyons gave us more of the A.D. (aka the Artful Dodger). I absolutely loved him in this book, and he is a much more important character than we realized previously. We definitely see a different side to him, but have no fear, the A.D. is still the thief we know and love.

I don't want to give away any spoilers, but that ending... DEAR LORD THAT ENDING ...will leave you begging for more and basically rocking in a corner because you will be desperately checking your book to make sure there aren't missing pages. I was left looking like this

description

I definitely can't wait to see where this story goes, and all I'm going to say is that everything better be fixed.

The intricacies of the timelines, and the plot itself is something to step back and take a minute to admire because it is something that leaves you breathless. From beginning to end, this novel is fantastic, and you will be reading on the edge of your seat. This series doesn't have a specific audience because quite honestly it should be read by all book lovers. If you are looking for a read that will take you on an adventure of a lifetime, this is that book and series. Do yourself a favor and check this one out as soon as possible!

10 stars!!

Happy reading :)
Profile Image for Cristal.
556 reviews79 followers
June 29, 2015
4.5 Stars.

This third installment in The Collectors’ Society took me on a wild ride, through great adventures that made my heart and mind sing, and left me in a state of confusion and anxiety that I’m sure I’ll have little hair left from tugging if I don’t get the final book ASAP!

The Forgotten Mountain picked up right where The Hidden Library ended – with the Society in shambles after it was infiltrated by an unlikely villain. I was out of my mind with worry because my favorites were left in perilous situations, with their survival unsure. In the beginning of TFM some questions were answered but I still had to watch, with my heart clogging my throat, as Alice went on a vengeful path to rescue those she loved.

Can I say how much I love Alice? I LOVE ALICE. This series is loads of fun for me because it’s fantasy and adventure at its best and I love being taken to new worlds and experiencing the wonder of Heather Lyon’s imagination, but more than anything, I love this character she’s created. Strong, unyielding, fierce, vulnerable, and true, this Alice is a character that I’d love for my kids to model. She’s a total badass and I loved that she’s the savior in most situations. Her strength is multifaceted though, because she’s only strong because of her weaknesses, because of her pain. I could go on and on about how much I love that woman, but no one would want that.

The Forgotten Mountain followed Alice, Finn, and the other members of The Collectors’ Society as they chased answers and hunted down some truly heinous characters. This series might be about storybook characters, but these aren’t the palatable versions created by Disney. The scholar and nerd in me thoroughly enjoyed learning about these ancient tales and their true origins, as heartbreaking and gorey as it became sometimes. Each new character introduced was enchanting and memorable.

Fans of romance will really enjoy Alice and Finn’s love story; there’s truly is a fairy tale. Once again I swooned because I loved seeing their partnership, – the mutual respect that they feel for one another – as well as the heart melting, romantic moments they share. Their love was tested multiple times, and watching them endure these hardships was heartbreaking but still heart warming, because they gave me hope as only a fairy tale can. Each test made their bond stronger and solidified them as one of my favorite couples.

Be warned though, because this is the next to last book in a series and we all know that those always always end with an epic cliffy. This one didn’t disappoint. I read the last two chapters with my mouth hanging open, my eyes in denial about what I was reading. “No way did that just happen!” I screamed. But it did, and it sucked. But it was amazing, and now I’ll wait impatiently for any word of the next book because I can’t wait to find out how this one ends. I love this series!

Connect with Three Little Birds Book Blog:
BlogFacebookTwitter
Profile Image for Emma .
2,506 reviews351 followers
July 3, 2015
I seriously cannot get enough of this series, while simultaneously needing it to end so I can be at peace ;) Have you guys seen the TV series Once Upon A Time; my youngest daughter and I are a little obsessed with it, we sit on the sofa analysing the storylines and characters, matching them to the stories we love. The Collectors Society series has the same effect. As I am reading I am guessing which character comes from which book, where their stories originate from and how they fit into the current plot. I constantly pick apart the characters in order to unravel the plot twists before Heather makes the revelations. For me, Heather Lyons is a sorceress of re-imaginings.

Following the major cliffhanger at the end of The Hidden Library I cannot tell you how desperate I was for this book. Heather does a fantastic job of recapping the previous events to refresh the memory within the first few chapters. The action is high-octane all the way through while simultaneously pulling all the plot threads together.

As soon as one puzzle piece is solved another takes its place making the storyline equally tantalising and tormenting. There are constant revelations surrounding some of the major players within The Collectors Society; I have to say I am in utter awe of how Heather Lyon's mind works, twisting the numerous tales into the narrative ingeniously.

I adore how the narrative showed clearly that no two readers will take away the same thing when they read the same book (you get what I mean RIGHT?)

I have to mention the beautiful vocabulary used within this series, it is a joy to read and adds to the imagery evoked.

With each book in this series I fall deeper in love with the characters especially Finn, Alice and Jace. This might be the only book I wouldn't be opposed to them all being together LOL. Alice is an inspiration (I want to be her, and not just for both Finn and Jace) the madness is an added bonus.

There is a HUGE and very UNEXPECTED plot twist at the end of this book; it has completely thrown me for a loop. Seriously Heather, you are killing me here ;)
Profile Image for Veronica of V's Reads.
1,528 reviews41 followers
June 25, 2015
4.5 Stars. This is the third book in a series, and should be read in order.

At the end of the last book, Alice and Mary Lennox (of The Secret Garden) are on the hunt for their loves: Finn (of Huckleberry Finn) and Victor (son of Dr. Frankenstein), adopted brothers who may have perished when the book world in which they were chasing known killer Sweeney Todd was destroyed. Against all odds, Alice believes Finn to be alive; she has lost love before, and regained it with Finn. She will stop at nothing to find him, and, if that means breaking and entering, well, she luckily has renowned thief The Artful Dodger on her side.

Unfortunately, finding Finn doesn't bring her much relief--because he's been enchanted and will likely die if she cannot find the 13th Wise Woman, from Grimm's Fairytales, to undo the curse. This entire series is an incredibly creative literary enterprise. I adore Alice, who is single-minded of purpose, and a kickass heroine. She's all grown up from her first trip to Wonderland, now an exiled queen whose loved-and-lost story is all the more powerful because she chose political peace over personal comfort. She tells the bulk of this story, and her pain and courage is plain.

The main objective of all Alice's travels is to locate Gabe Pfeffer, or Lygari, or his much older name, The Pied Piper. Trouble is, there's trouble every step of the way. Like most of the Brothers Grimm's works, this is not a light-hearted fable. Nope, it's a dark tale that includes vengeance, lies, enchantment and a teeny bit of sex. I'm kinda frustrated by the end...because I MUST know what happens next, and, alas, it's a kicker cliffhanger, IMHO. I don't want to spoil the book, so I'm ending this review here. If you think you'll like creative literary fantasy with a vengeful queen who will do absolutely anything to save her prince, this book is for you.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 144 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.