Start by marking “The Heart of Compassion: The Thirty-seven Verses on the Practice of a Bodhisattva” as Want to Read:

4.67  ·  Rating details ·  119 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
What would be the practical implications of caring more about others than about yourself? This is the radical theme of this extraordinary set of instructions, a training manual composed in the fourteenth century by the Buddhist hermit Ngulchu Thogme, here explained in detail by one of the great Tibetan Buddhist masters of the twentieth century, Dilgo Khyentse.

In the Mahaya
Published May 29th 2007 by Shambhala

To ask other readers questions about The Heart of Compassion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Heart of Compassion

D
Apr 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a lot of thoughts of attachment and anger I have! Does that happen to you?

"All the joys and sufferings of this world are just projections of our minds and the result of our past karma," Thogme said. "As I have a little understanding that in relative truth everything is like an illusion, and that in absolute truth, everything is utterly beyond conceptual fabrications, I don't experience attachment and hatred at all."

Gyalse Thogme retired to the hermitage of Ngulchu at the age of 42. He remai
Nancy
Mar 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
I will be "currently reading" these thirty seven verses for a long time. This isn't a book to be read cover-to-cover and then put on a shelf. It's really a handbook (and sometimes a textbook) on living a compassionate life. And writing a "review" of it is like a writing a review of the Bible. As Buddhist texts go, it is really very comfortable to read, but that by nomeans makes it easy. It's a lot of work, and pretty much turns my life upside-down each time I sit down with it. And that is precis ...more
Bonnie
Jan 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: buddhist
Excellent!
Mark Sobralske
May 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: buddhism
Wonderful book. Read it twice while backpacking in the Western Himalaya. DKR's writing is pure poetry. Easy to understand, humorous, beautiful and very practical.
Mark Gelula
Feb 20, 2009 added it
Recommends it for: Rigpa students, anyone interested in Tibetan Budhism
Reading this book was a complete blessing. I felt that the root text was extremely well taught and that it was directed at me.
Larry
Apr 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: buddhism
This book so clearly elucidates the heart of Mahayana practice. I recommend this to anyone who has a solid foundation in Buddhist thought.
Miriam Holsinger
Nov 19, 2011 rated it it was ok
Confession... I did not make it to the end. Sigh... But after over a year of it sitting on my "currently reading" list and picking up realizing I lost my place and really don't know where it was I don't think I am going to finish it. This one was a bit above my head. I hope someday to have the merit and wisdom to appreciate it as the jewel I hear it is - at that time I will start over from the beginning.
Dave Padilla
Jan 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This special book is meant to be read slowly and contemplatively. There is so much ancient wisdom that can be applied to our lives in this 21st century. It's a real treasure.
Mary Boudreau
Sep 02, 2013 marked it as to-read
loved it
Kaitlyn
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Excellent commentary and practice guide.
May we be of benefit.
Legdup Tsering
Jul 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
inspiring!!! don't know if i'll ever be able to practice being a bodhisattva..
Christopher
Nov 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche's commentary is clear, very accessible, and simply very easy to read and understand.
Nate
Mar 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Excellent! If all children would read this by sixteen and really practiced these 37 practices, then in two generations war as we know it would end and maybe famine...
Walt Moseley
Oct 26, 2011
Bill Karelis
Sep 21, 2013
Kate Cubitt
rated it did not like it
Dec 15, 2016
Ulvund
Mar 02, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Not For Happiness: A Guide to the So-Called Preliminary Practices
  • The Great Path of Awakening: The Classic Guide to Lojong, a Tibetan Buddhist Practice for Cultivating the Heart of Compassion
  • The Practice of Lojong: Cultivating Compassion through Training the Mind
  • The Hundred Thousand Songs of Milarepa
  • Mind Beyond Death
  • Pay Attention, for Goodness' Sake: Practicing the Perfections of the Heart--The Buddhist Path of Kindness
  • Don't Believe Everything You Think: Living with Wisdom and Compassion
  • Cave in the Snow
  • Tibet: A History
  • Tibet's Great Yogi Milarepa
  • It's Up to You: The Practice of Self-Reflection on the Buddhist Path
  • Life of the Buddha
  • Nothing to Do, Nowhere to Go: Reflections on the Teachings of Zen Master Lin Chi
  • Dakini Power: Twelve Extraordinary Women Shaping the Transmission of Tibetan Buddhism in the West
  • The Flower Ornament Scripture: A Translation of the Avatamsaka Sutra
  • The Connected Discourses of the Buddha: A New Translation of the Samyutta Nikaya
  • The Numerical Discourses of the Buddha: A Complete Translation of the Anguttara Nikaya
  • The Words of My Perfect Teacher
H.H. Khyabjé Dilgo Khyentsé Rabsel Dawa Rinpoché (Tib.: དིལ་མགོ་མཁྱེན་བརྩེ་ རབ་གསལ་ཟླ་བ་ Wylie: dil mgo mkhyen brtse rab gsal zla ba) was a Vajrayana lama and Supreme Head of the Nyingma school of Tibetan Buddhism from 1987 until 1991. He was hel to be the "mind emanation" of Jamyang Khyentse Wangpo (1820–1892).
More about Dilgo Khyentse

• Tinseltown: Murder, Morphine, and Madness at the Dawn of Hollywood
    $10.74 $2.99
    $5.99 $1.99
    $8.24 $1.99
  • How to Travel with a Salmon & Other Essays (A Harvest Book)
    $14.99 $1.99