Start by marking “The Fox and the Star” as Want to Read:
The Fox and the Star

The Fox and the Star

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  2,971 Ratings  ·  586 Reviews
From the award-winning designer of the iconic Penguin Hardcover Classics comes a beautifully illustrated fable about loss, friendship, and courage

Published November 10th 2015 by Penguin Books (first published August 27th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Fox and the Star, please sign up.
Molly Sure! It may appear to be a really simple read to a 12 year old, because there isn't much text; but this book is one that can be read by someone of…moreSure! It may appear to be a really simple read to a 12 year old, because there isn't much text; but this book is one that can be read by someone of any age, and they will get something different out of it. I found it to have really large themes that would be interesting to discuss. (less)

karen
 photo IMG_5900_zps3yiuhk9m.jpg

if these pictures don't show you why you need this book, there's no hope for you.

photo IMG_5899_zpsqpdvfdt5.jpg

photo IMG_5904_zpsskvl6rty.jpg

photo IMG_5937_zpsody63vso.jpg

photo IMG_5896_zps8fbn6ctb.jpg

and yeah, yeah, yeah, this isn't goodpictures.com and we're all of us first and foremost readers here and we love a good story more than anything else, but sometimes pictures printed in startlingly vivid color

photo IMG_5892_zpsgybq8it9.jpg

on heavy-stock paper

photo IMG_5908_zps9sb7zeub.jpg

in which the illustrations are seemingly bursting out of the confines of the page

photo IMG_5903_zps0hiwxvx1.jpg

all sewn between two pleasantly soft clothbound boards

photo IMG_5909_zpst2ollxwd.jpg

can make words take a backseat for a little
Wendy Darling
The physical book is gorgeous--just gorgeous. When you handle the clothbound hardback, it feels like a beautiful old edition of a children's classic that has been handed down for generations. Its handsomeness befits the author, the art director who designed some of Penguin Classics' most iconic modern editions.

The illustrations within are pretty, and I liked the quiet story of a fox searching for a star that has always been his companion. But I'm not entirely sure that the book ended on as stron
Nat
Sep 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The Fox and the Star is the story of a friendship between a lonely Fox and the Star who guides him through the frightfully dark forest. Illuminated by Star’s rays, Fox forages for food, runs with the rabbits, and dances in the rain—until Star suddenly goes out and life changes, leaving Fox huddling for warmth in the unfamiliar dark.

description
To find his missing Star, Fox must embark on a wondrous journey beyond the world he knows—a journey lit by courage, newfound friends, and just maybe, a star-filled
Bookdragon Sean
This was lovely. Poetry is the most artful form of the written word; it is careful and selective. Each word, each piece of punctuation, each syllable, is weighed carefully to produce an image or sensation to the highest effect. This isn’t poetry, though the same close attention to detail can be seen.

The illustrations are everything. The book itself, the physical object, is part of the story. They combine with the words themselves to evoke the essence of this. In this case, the physical object i
Stacey (prettybooks)

I must confess, I bought Coralie Bickford-Smith's The Fox and the Star purely because it's utterly beautiful. Given the name of this blog, it's probably no surprise. I was especially intrigued when it won the Waterstones Book of the Year. It's the sort of book that you discover while browsing the shelves of your favourite bookshop and cannot help but pick up, although I bought my copy from a small bookshop that I hadn't visited before.

Coralie Bickford-Smith is the award-winning designer of the i
Andrei Bădică
"Cu toate acestea, de când se știa, se trezea noaptea sub lumina senină și netulburată a unei stele."
" Toată fericirea vulpii era legată de lumina pâlpâitoare a stelei. Și așa fusese dintotdeauna."
Jean Menzies
Oct 24, 2015 rated it liked it
One of the most beautifully illustrated and designed books I have ever had the pleasure of reading ^_^
The Lit Bitch
Nov 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
When the book arrived in my mailbox, I held it in awe. The cover is perfect. I love the navy blue background and the cute little fox at the bottom, it just begs to be read and a fine showcase on your bookshelf!

The story is worthy of the cover too. It’s about a sweet little fox that loves his star. The star lights the fox’s way until one day the star is gone and the poor little fox is scared and doesn’t know what to do.

At first the fox hides from the dark and is scared, but eventually he decides
TL
Dec 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to TL by: karen

---

Gifted to me for xmas by my wonderful friend Carrol and recced by book fairy/friend karen :)

Check her review out here for some of the beautiful illustrations in this book... I can't stop looking at them!
---

A sweet and beautiful story... only 64 pages but it feels bigger than that. The illustrations add a magical quality to the story and helps bring you along on Fox's journey to find his friend.

It took me a little longer to read this because of the beauty of the drawings (not that I'm complain
Kaitlin
Sep 26, 2016 rated it liked it
I was kindly gifted this one by my lovely friend Elena for my birthday today, and naturally I dived straight in and read it.

This is a children's illustrated story which is beautifully composed with every page planned out and lovely to look at. The pattern-based style means that each spread is balanced and draws the eye around with the gentle colour offset making it lovely to gaze at. The repetition of the forms makes it easy to follow and simple to grasp, but it also has a uniformity to it and
Elilith
Feb 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Una historia preciosa, con un mensaje más bonito aún, que me ha recordado en cierto modo a "El principio", con una bonita enseñanza para los adultos y con unas ilustraciones maravillosas para los niños. Sin duda una edición muy cuidada y selecta que les encantará a todos los amantes de los libros preciosos. Una lectura ligera pero que a su vez, te hace reflexionar.
Ahmet
Read a book that features animals

Read this book out loud with my gf without buying at the bookstore :D
Asghar Abbas
Oct 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing

Gorgeously illustrated, cover, designs, everything. A joy to hold in your hands . I read this aloud to my lovely niece as she fell asleep tonight . Beautifully made book but not much in a way of a story and yet oddly ended on an uplifted note. It cheered me up.

A kind of book that you read to your kids. They'll rejoice at the sound of your voice , which is temporary by nature , at the beautiful artwork, and you'll rejoice by the end of this book .

Don't go , but grow .
Nahibya
Ha sido un lindo libro y triste
Jamila
May 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Such a wonderful and beautifully illustrated book
Ricardo Carrión Pavez
Hay tantos detalles en cada una de las imágenes. Te puedes quedar mucho tiempo mirándolas, comunican, tienen su lenguaje propio. Hay un excelente uso de los colores. La historia inicia con colores vivos, cuando zorro cuenta con estrella, pero cuando estrella desaparece, las ilustraciones se tornan más oscuras y grises. A medida que zorro evoluciona como personaje, los colores comienzan a volver poco a poco.

La edición es de lujo con tapa dura y una portada preciosa, llena de detalles. Las página
steph // bookplaits
Apr 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
First things first, the illustrations are absolutely amazing. I love Bickford-Smith's style and the paper is also very thick and good quality. So, this is really is a beautiful book. I was a bit disappointed by the story though, and kind of wish it had a bit more depth and lasting impact. Don't get me wrong, it was lovely, but I think the majority of the appeal of this book is the artwork.
Denisse
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Simply beautiful. And lovely, and (insert any synonym for lovely and beautiful). This is the cuspid of the bookworm, buying a book just because it has pretty drawings and you can instagram it like the bookaddict you are. So, the short story is good, but really, the illustrations lift it into another level. I'll definitely buy the other one.

Es un mensaje lindo para animarte a salir de tu zona de confort pero las ilustraciones son lo que mas vale la pena, prometo poner unas después :)
Liesa
Feb 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
5 stars for the beautiful illustrations, the cover and the way of how it was written - absolutely fantastic!

But only 3 stars for the story, which honestly was a bit underwhelming and not what I thought it would be. I still enjoyed the reading experience - although it went by way too fast - and I'm happy that I have it and can look at it again and again and again because I'm really in love with the illustrations.
Jason
Dec 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
The cover is amazing, lovely hardback textured cover, the illustrations are wonderful, the fox is so sweet. The story itself was not as good as I was good as I was expecting, very short and you have to use your imagination a lot, it make take a few readings for my daughter to get it.

One thing I can say about it though, somebody could do an amazing version of this on stage.

Will be reading this many times.
Jules
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I bought this about a year and a half ago because the physical book is so beautiful. It has been sat on a spare chair in my reading room looking pretty, but I've only just finally got round to reading it while my six year old niece was staying with me for a few days. This is a stunningly beautiful book with a sweet story, so would make a great gift for those who love pretty books.
Shahirah Loqman
It's a beautiful children's book with the most AMAZING illustrations and art ever! It's the story of the friendship between a fox and a star. And it must be the art that goes with it, but it's so vivid and effortlessly charming.

Not worth buying it at full price though, very pricey. But thank god I got it for half price ;)
diegomarcapaginas
Una bella historia llena de sentimientos y evocadoras imágenes. A pesar de no tener una trama tremendamente original ha sido muy grata su lectura. Eché en en falta un final más redondo y quizás menos abrupto.
Daniel
Dec 02, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A John Lewis advert in book form, very twee.
Amina
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lovely! Everything about it is lovely! The story, the illustrations! All of it!
Cata
May 11, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
A arte é 5*. A história em si... Meh
Maria
Jan 09, 2016 rated it liked it
Every now and then you run into a book that looks so stunning you are afraid of opening it, of having it fall apart on your lap as you do so. You can feel your expectations on their toes, reaching out with their tiny little sticky hands. And so you take an extra minute to appreciate the beauty of the cover. Then you take a deep breath and dive in.

The Fox and the Star by Coralie Bickford-Smith is beautiful inside and out. The gorgeous cover is followed by a collection of breathtaking, at some poi
Ana Rînceanu
This fox handles the loss of the Star in a sensible way.
Matilda Chapman
  • Hoot Owl, Master of Disguise
  • A Boy Called Christmas
  • Waddle! Waddle!
  • The Girl in the Castle Inside the Museum
  • Bear and Squirrel Are Friends . . . Yes, Really!
  • You Are My Cupcake
  • Once Upon a Northern Night
  • The Princess and the Pony
  • Chuck and Woodchuck
Coralie Bickford-Smith graduated from Reading University after studying Typography and Graphic Communication and currently works in-house at Penguin Books. Coralie's book covers have been recognised by the AIGA (NY) and D&AD (UK) and have featured in a numerous international magazines and newspapers including The New York Times, Vogue and The Guardian. Her work with Penguin Classics on the clo ...more