Start by marking “Rogue Lawyer (Rogue Lawyer, #1)” as Want to Read:
Rogue Lawyer (Rogue Lawyer, #1)

Rogue Lawyer (Rogue Lawyer #1)

3.71  ·  Rating details ·  54,070 Ratings  ·  5,273 Reviews
On the right side of the law. Sort of.

Sebastian Rudd is not your typical street lawyer. He works out of a customized bulletproof van, complete with Wi-Fi, a bar, a small fridge, fine leather chairs, a hidden gun compartment, and a heavily armed driver. He has no firm, no partners, no associates, and only one employee, his driver, who’s also his bodyguard, law clerk, con
Published October 20th 2015 by Doubleday

To ask other readers questions about Rogue Lawyer, please sign up.
Judy Sorry, but Mr. Grisham's last two books (Rogue Lawyer and Gray Mountain) just don't come up to the mark he set for himself in the past. Because of his…moreSorry, but Mr. Grisham's last two books (Rogue Lawyer and Gray Mountain) just don't come up to the mark he set for himself in the past. Because of his reputation, I kept reading, hoping for something interesting, but after finally finishing Gray Mountain, my first thought was, "Well, that was a little boring." and Rogue Lawyer is a little like a short story book. I have read every other John Grisham book several times, because they're that good.(less)
Alyce Rocco I recently donated a hard cover copy of Grisham's The Litigator to the local library's Friends group for re-sale; so you might check your local…moreI recently donated a hard cover copy of Grisham's The Litigator to the local library's Friends group for re-sale; so you might check your local library Friends' stores when looking to add to your collection. (less)

Nan Williams
Oct 25, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: quit
As I scanned through the GoodRead readers' reviews, I noticed that the 4 and 5* ratings were from those readers who confessed that they'd never read a John Grisham novel before. I've read all of his books - ALL. This has got to be ... the worst.

While reading this, I had the feeling that his agent was pressuring him to write another novel and he just didn't have a story in mind. I'm assuming that his agent then said, "Well, what about something like the Lincoln Lawyer? Just put a Grisham spin on
Lori
May 30, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It's a lot like another book of his that I read, but I remember the other as better. A jumble of storylines, but no resolution, it stopped when he quit writing. It didn't seem like an ending to me.
James Thane
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
I've always been a fan of John Grisham's legal thrillers, but I was a bit disappointed in the last one that I read, Gray Mountain, which I thought was a bit preachy with characters that weren't all that interesting. This book is, to my mind at least, a lot more fun, and I devoured it in a couple of sessions.

The protagonist is a lawyer named Sebastian Rudd who works out of a bulletproof van after his last "real" office was firebombed. He has one employee, a bodyguard and general assistant, who dr
Rosie
Aug 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, legal-thriller
The book tells Sebastian's story of representing various clients. Some of these clients include: Gardy, an innocent man being wrongfully convicted for murder; Link, a mob leader who killed a judge and is facing death row; Tadeo, a cage fighter who gets into trouble while fighting in the ring. Woven through most of these cases are corrupt law enforcement officials which Sebastian has to sometimes fight dirty to get the fair result.

I went through waves of enjoyment with this book. At first I foun
Sherilyn
Nov 04, 2015 rated it did not like it
If you want to write a book of short stories, call it a book of short stories. Don't call it a novel. No plot, no novel.
exncgal
Oct 21, 2015 rated it it was ok
It's been a while since I've read any of John Grisham's books, and this one was really disappointing. I felt like he was trying to capitalize on his past "small town law enforcement corruption" themes, with a dash of Scott Turow... but unfortunately he grabbed Michael Connelly instead and poured a big heaping jarful into the pot... poor Mickey Haller the Lincoln Lawyer is just floating in the soup. Very disappointing. I mean, I really like Mickey Haller, but Sebastian Rudd is a poor substitute ( ...more
Gary
Nov 06, 2015 rated it liked it
This is a story of Lawyer Sebastian Rudd who represents people that no one else will touch such as drug dealers and murderers. The novel follows his life and the cases he is working on and although each case is interesting and well written it fails to capture the imagination and fully hold the reader.

The book is almost a series of short stories that are loosely connected and as soon as each case had captured my attention it was over and moved on. I found this more than a little disappointing and
Marianne
Jun 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rogue Lawyer is the 26th stand-alone novel by popular American author, John Grisham. Sebastian Rudd is a rogue lawyer. He defends criminals no-one else will touch; he is unpopular with criminals and with the police, so unpopular that his last office was fire-bombed; he is not above cheating, especially when he believes the other side is doing it; he says he fights bad systems and hates injustice.

After finishing parts one and two, the reader could be forgiven for thinking that the book is going
Richard
Nov 06, 2015 rated it it was ok
This is not a novel. At best, it is a book of short stories featuring the same protagonist. Attorney Sebastian Rudd is a thinly-developed knockoff of Micky Haller, Michael Connelly's Lincoln Lawyer. One major difference is that Sebastian Rudd is a truly sleazy lawyer, while Haller has some self-respect. Parts of the plots are not credible, and this can be seen in the first of the short stories, which is much more an angry screed against police and prosecutors than it is a story. Especially odiou ...more
Benjamin
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
It felt more of a chore to read than a pleasure. At times there were enjoyable parts that left you wanting more, but those feelings where short lived as I finished the book grudgingly. I also noticed that It was pretty repetative, as if the author was trying to recount parts of the story so that he could remember what he was writing about.
All in all, It was ok. It felt like a knock off of The Lincoln Lawyer.
Marla
Sep 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. Sebastian Rudd is the type of lawyer who skates close to breaking the law. He defends the lowlifes that most people won't defend, which puts him and his son in danger. Is he crazy to be defending these lowlifes? I found Rudd a refreshing character. He didn't really care what people thought and he worked hard when he knew his client was innocent and getting a raw deal. He also doesn't like corruption within the police department and will go after them even if it is dan ...more
Carol -  Reading Writing and Riesling
I was cheering on the protagonist from the side lines :)

My View:
It has been a very, very long time since I have read a John Grisham adult novel, in fact it has been so long I have lost all memories of the individual book (it was, at the least, read thirty year ago so perhaps I can be forgiven for not remembering the details but having a lingering impression that this author can write!) and that memory is not ill-conceived!

I don’t know why it has been so long between drinks? This book was enthr
Ashley Daviau
Aug 04, 2017 rated it liked it
I'm really split down the middle when it comes to this book. I did thoroughly enjoy some parts but then at other parts I wanted to rip my eyes out because I found it SO boring and stretched out.

The parts that I did enjoy really were excellent though! They had my full attention and I couldn't turn the pages fast enough. But then one of the boring stretches would hit and I'd quickly lose interest.

It also didn't help that I related in no way to the main character, in fact I kind of disliked him.
La-Lionne
My review is not so much about the book as it is about some laws in US that this book got me thinking about.

Aside from the first 30%, I enjoyed the book tremendously. The first third of the story was quite confusing. You get to read about different cases MC worked on and his unorthodox ways of defending his clients. It was fun to read, but one case had nothing to do with the other. At first, I thought it all was going somewhere and that, at some point, it will get connected. But it never did. La
Dale Harcombe
Three and a half stars.
I think this is probably my second ever Grisham novel. Divorced and with only minimal contact with his young son, Sebastian Rudd, the rogue lawyer is brash and cynical and attracts attention from clients others would not touch. He believes every criminal deserves to be represented and ends up with some dodgy, to say the least, clients. Yet in a way, Sebastian is strangely likeable despite his appalling parenting, which had me shaking my head in disbelief. When I first sta
Carol
Who doesn’t love a rogue? John Grisham has developed an interesting, more complex than meets the eye, character in one Sebastian Rudd. If crime is fun, this is it. Let’s leave it at that. I thoroughly enjoyed my time listening to Rogue Lawyer, expertly executed by narrator by Mark Deakens.
debra
3-4*s I enjoy legal stories. This is a collection of varied, loosely connected vignettes. Fortunately, my initial concern that the episodes were going to be more of a stage for personal opinion than story were unfounded. This is not Grisham's best work, but I enjoyed listening to this novel. It kept me both interested and entertained.

I recommend reading the reviews written by James Thane, Carol, and Matt.
Doubleday  Books
May 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was my first time reading John Grisham, and what a treat! It’s said that Grisham is America’s favorite storyteller, and now I know why. John Grisham mixes the exciting pace of a thriller with fascinating legal elements, and the results are brilliant. Rogue Lawyer’s protagonist, Sebastian Rudd, is an absolute whirlwind—smart, gritty, tough—and an easy character to root for. Getting swept up in John Grisham’s latest masterpiece is unavoidable…and immensely entertaining!
- Sarah E. Doubleday Ma
Nada EL Shabrawi
بداية مشوقة، وسط أقل تشويقا، نهاية هايلة.
Matt
Oct 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
In another masterful legal novel, Grisham takes readers down yet another rabbit hole of the profession. Sebastian Rudd is a lawyer like few others who have graced the pages of a Grisham novel. Working solely by word of mouth, Rudd believes that everyone, no matter their history, personality, or mindset, deserves a lawyer and their day in court. Grisham chooses to take the reader along a few paths, depicting some of the clients Rudd has during a snapshot in his legal career, sometimes delving int ...more
Julie Garner
Aug 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
I haven't read a Grisham in years. Was pleasantly surprised by this new one. I admit, I felt like all his books followed a formula and I got a little bored. Not so with this book.
At first, I was a little confused by the plot. It seemed to be separate stories about our Rogue Lawyer...then all of a sudden! BAM!!! Linked!!! I was sucked in.
Hopefully this Rogue Lawyer is not a one off and we get to hear more of his exploits soon.
Monnie
Nov 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love to love books by John Grisham - in large part, I'm sure, because I'm a huge fan of legal thrillers - and almost without exception, that's certainly been the case. And happily, it's true here as well. I will say that for most of the first half I concluded this is meant to be a book of short stories or vignettes that take place in the life of street lawyer Sebastian Rudd. But while each "story" might be able to stand on its own, bits and pieces of each are connected to create (aha!) a whole ...more
Mike French
Oct 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
As always John Grisham keeps his readers entertained from start to finish. This book reminds me of Mickey Hallor, the Lincoln Lawyer from Michael Connelly. Same premise and equally as good.
Rebecca McNutt
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Definitely not your average crime thriller, and the main character is amazingly well-written. This book has a great urban setting and a very suspenseful plot.
Rob1109
Oct 31, 2015 rated it did not like it
Never in my life have I wanted so much and tried so hard to like an author. John Grisham is one of the top selling most successful authors out there. For the life of me, I have no idea why.

For those of us who are avid Beatles’ fans we all know that the second side of Abbey Road was basically a bunch of partial songs that Lennon and McCartney had toyed around with. Incomplete songs. Snippets. Record producer George Martin decided to put them all together in a medley. It became known as ‘Abbey Ro
Linda
Dec 10, 2015 rated it liked it
As a long, long time fan of John Grisham and his stellar writing style, I was torn as to how to rate this one. I liked it, but did I "really" like it? I was putting my money on a resurrection after the lacklustre book, Gray Mountain, which disappointed throngs of us die-hards.

Why go down the already troddened path of the Lincoln Lawyer? I felt, to some extent, that I was peeling away skinny volumes of short stories that were conjoined at the hip to make a novel. Just when one case was delved in
David
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobook, fiction
I've read a couple of John Grisham's novels; this book was the most entertaining, gripping from beginning to end. From the very start, I was hooked, and Grisham was able to keep me hooked throughout the novel. Each chapter in the book is more or less independent, describing some case or client in a vivid way that put me there in the story.

The book is about a criminal defense lawyer named Sebastian Rudd. He is not the usual type of lawyer; he works in a bullet-proof van because he makes enemies.
Carol
Jan 18, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a very different book than some of the others he's written lately. I've almost always been a fan of John Grisham's courtroom dramas, however one of his recent ones, Gray Mountain (which I've commented on) was a bit of a disappointment to me. This book is somewhat better.

The main character is a lawyer named Sebastian Rudd who works out of a bulletproof van after his real office was firebombed. He has one employee called "Partner", a bodyguard and general assistant, who drives him to appo
Erin
Dec 11, 2016 rated it it was ok
As I have only read four novels of John Grisham prior to this, I have a very shallow pool of comparisons to lead with. IMHO nothing Grisham writes will ever come close to how I felt when reading "A Time to Kill."' Although there was some great suspense in the middle of the book, I never felt that I was ever immersed in the story. It's probably the type of book I should have stopped reading.
Judy Collins
John Grisham returns following Gray Mountain, landing on my Top 30 Books of 2014, with another new hero.

A new character, and legal crime thriller series featuring a street defense lawyer named Sebastian Rudd- ROGUE LAWYER . A lone gunman, cynical, he fights the system, a nonconformist, bad-ass, attitude, a fearless lawyer . . taking cases no one else would touch; Unconventional ---giving Michael Connelly’s defense attorney, Mickey Haller a little competition.

Of course, we have room for ano
  • The Guilty (Will Robie, #4)
  • Discretion (Anna Curtis, #2)
  • Cross Justice (Alex Cross, #23)
  • The Crossing (Harry Bosch, #18; Mickey Haller, #6; Harry Bosch Universe, #27)
  • The Keeper (Dismas Hardy, #15)
  • Resistant (Dr. Lou Welcome, #3)
  • Cash Landing
  • Heart of a Killer
  • The Hanging Judge
  • Corrupted (Rosato & DiNunzio, #3)
  • Land of Careful Shadows (Jimmy Vega Mystery, #1)
  • The Fixer
  • Insatiable Appetites (Stone Barrington, #32)
  • The Promise (Elvis Cole, #16; Joe Pike, #5; Scott James & Maggie, #2)
  • Zero Sum, Entire Trilogy Bundle (Dr. Stephen Archer Cross, #1)
  • The Bitter Season (Kovac and Liska, #5)
  • Invasion of Privacy
  • Guilt by Association (Rachel Knight, #1)
"Long before his name became synonymous with the modern legal thriller, he was working 60-70 hours a week at a small Southaven, Mississippi law practice, squeezing in time before going to the office and during courtroom recesses to work on his hobby—writing his first novel.

Born on February 8, 1955 in Jonesboro, Arkansas, to a construction worker and a homemaker, John Grisham as a child dreamed of
More about John Grisham

• Searching for Grace Kelly
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Bricking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Elephant Keeper's Daughter
  • The Virtues of Oxygen
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Home to Harmony (Harmony #1)
    $11.14 $1.99
  • Dog Crazy
  • The Towers of Tuscany
  • The Noticer: Sometimes, all a person needs is a little perspective
  • Who We Were Before
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Reluctant Midwife (Hope River, #2)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Sin No More (Reverend Curtis Black)
    $10.39 $1.99
  • We'll Always Have Paris: Stories
  • The Hidden Flower
  • Greyhound
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Take Two (Above the Line, #2)
  • The Heart Mender: A Story of Second Chances
  • Where We Belong
    $5.99 $1.49
  • Cashelmara
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Dumplin' (Dumplin', #1)
  • The Sisterhood of Blackberry Corner
  • A Scattered Life
  • Every Ugly Word
  • A Memory of Violets: A Novel of London's Flower Sellers
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Desert God (Ancient Egypt, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Woman Who Breathed Two Worlds (Malayan #1)
  • An Amish Buggy Ride
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Elizabeth Street
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Gates of Rome (Emperor, #1)
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • It Is Well
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Sinful Calling (Reverend Curtis Black #13)
  • On a Cold Dark Sea
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Lady Viper (Tales from the Tudor Court #1)
  • Kings of Broken Things
  • Edward Adrift
  • The Restaurant Critic's Wife
    $3.99 $1.99
“Guilt beyond a reasonable doubt means if he probably did it, then let’s get him off the streets.” 2 likes
“I learned a long time ago not to waste time analyzing why judges do the things they do.” 2 likes