Start by marking “The Turn of the Tide” as Want to Read:
The Turn of the Tide

The Turn of the Tide

From Rosanne Parry, author of the acclaimed Heart of a Shepherd, comes an exciting and tender friendship story about two cousins looking for their destiny.

On a beautiful day in June, the ground broke open.

In Japan, you’re always prepared for an earthquake. That’s why Kai knows just what to do when the first rumbles shake the earth. And then he does the exact opposite
Published January 12th 2016 by Random House Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Turn of the Tide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Turn of the Tide

Start your review of The Turn of the Tide
Rachel
Parry strips emotions to a very raw level, a great juxtaposition of two characters experiences with their need to grow up, some great action, but the emotion is real and lovely to experience.
Lisa Rodriguez
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Alas, I'm too old to become a bar pilot

This book brought tears to my eyes. I wish I had grown up learning to sail. The ocean sings to my heart, and this book is like a hymn book.
Rebecca
Feb 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kai is half-Japanese and half-American, living in Japan when the 2011 tsunami hits. After a terrifying few days in which he loses his grandparents and his home, Kai's parents send him to his father's brother in Astoria, Oregon. There lives his female cousin Jet, who is determined to become a river pilot on the Columbia like her father even though it's a difficult job for a woman to break into. She loves sailing, but has lost her favorite sailing buddy, Beck, to his friendship with the obnoxious ...more
Tasha
Jul 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
When an earthquake hits Japan, Kai tries to help his elderly grandparents escape the tsunami waves, but he is unable to get them to move fast enough. After the immediate crisis, Kai is moved from his home in Japan to the safety of Oregon to live with his cousins. His parents stayed behind in Japan to work on the nuclear power plant that was damaged in the storm. Jet is the cousin that Kai moves in with. She dreams of being the pilot of a boat on the Columbia Bar. One day she misses checking the ...more
Ms. Yingling

When Kai's community in Japan is hit by a tsunami, he runs from his school to try to rescue his grandparents, but is unable to get them to safety. He survives, but his parents, who work at a nuclear power plant, are very busy in the wake of the devastation, and send him to stay with his aunt and uncle who live along the coast of Oregon. His cousin, Jet, loves the sea and hopes to follow in her father's footsteps as a bar pilot. She's fine with Jet coming to stay, and knows that he is still
Barbara
When a devastating tsunami destroys much of his town in Japan, Kai comes to stay with his uncle's family in Astoria, Oregon. Still reeling from the loss of his grandparents and disoriented by the new culture into which he has been thrust, Kai is understandably anxious and reticent to share much. To add to his confusion, his uncle and cousin, Jet, are loud and more boisterous than is appropriate in his own culture. Jet makes several mistakes while trying to get Kai involved in preparing for the ...more
Liz Friend
The story: Jet nearly sank her family's treasured sailboat. Kai ran instead of saving his grandparents. Now the cousins are spending the summer at Jet's home in Oregon, trying to figure out how to deal with their shame, how to get along and (at least for Jet) how to win the Treasure Island Race just like their dads did years ago. But to do that, she'll have to convince Kai to get in the water again: a tall order for a kid who's just survived a killer wave while his grandparents drowned.

June
Faith Hough
Kai and Jet are two cousins from different continents who grow closer in the wake of a tsunami and at the prospect of a challenging sailing race. I loved Rosanne Parry's other books, and this one met and exceeded all my expectations. The relatively simple plot is fleshed out by such perfect emotion and characterization that I never wanted to stop reading.
A gorgeously-written story about family and the sea and grieving and growing up.
Mary
Apr 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Story is good--two cousins from opposite sides of the Pacific become acquainted and learn to appreciate one another through sailing. Especially interesting is the glimpse of Japanese culture and its contrast to American culture. Too much nautical vocabulary for most student readers.
Donna
I liked the "TCKness" for one and the really sad outcome of the earthquake but told in a gentle way. This could easily be a great tween read as well as some high school level.
Didn't hurt that bulk of the story takes place in the PNW along the Columbia River, either:)
Patricia
Yet another quality middle-grade fiction book! Set in Astoria, this is the story of a girl who longs to be a bar pilot and her cousin, who is spending the summer in Astoria after a Tsunami kills his grandparents and devastates his town. There is sailing, adventure and tough choices.
Julia
Feb 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Received for free through Goodreads Giveaway.

This is a book geared toward 3rd grade and up. I'm a school librarian and can't wait to share this with my students.
Hoover Public Library Kids and Teens
Cousins who usually live on opposite sides of the Pacific Ocean are brought together by tragedy. Will sailing, which they both love, turn the tide on their suffering?
Sonja
May 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Two cousins meet when Kai is sent from Japan to Astoria, Oregon after an earthquake and Tsunami devastates his town, leaving him grieving grandparents that didn't make it and fearful of water. His Astoria cousin, Jet, is obsessed with the ocean and her ambition of becoming the second-ever female Columbia River bar pilot. These 13-year-olds awkwardly work through a summer together and bond after deciding to team up to enter a sailing race that their fathers crewed together and won "back in the ...more
alexis donut
ok no. i’m sorry. i don’t like this book that much. it seems like a middle grade book (not that i have anything against that). the book just wasn’t my type. it was too dry, like eating a mouthful of sand (ew). i do think the pacing was nearly perfect, though. the characters were a big role in this rating. i just didn’t connect to the characters. it’s pretty unrealistic, really. kai can speak english really well even though he’s lived in japan his whole life? oliver loves reading so much that he ...more
Susie Rangel
The cover on this one threw me off, looked very juvenile and I was concerned that my middle school readers would not be interested because of the cover. I enjoyed the story itself, though I admit some bias due to my own love of sailing, but found it to be somewhat predictable. The weird relationship back and forth between the cousins feels clunky in addition the boy Kai jumps in and out of his "traditional Japanese" upbringing to a point of unbelievability.

I book talked the book with a group of
Debra Daniels-zeller
This book has many things going for it--an unlikely protagonist, a feminist/diversity theme, sailing and nautical terms and two ordinary children who become heroes. The action and pacing in this book is near perfect and the characters and conflict kept me reading. The stakes get ramped up in the end, will they be able to save the child? I like how the goal is a team effort the ultimately brought the two cousins together.
Matthew Kochosky
Oregon Landscape with Great Story

Part of a summer reading challenge was to choose an Oregon author. This book had a rich Oregon culture with cultural stories creating characters realistically found in the Pacific NW.
Heidi
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club
An excellent children’s book! While there is plenty of action, this story is also very reflective and heartfelt. I loved that it takes place in my hometown & much of the detail is accurate to where I live. It felt familiar. Loved it.
Shelly Macer
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solids story, solid writer. Recommended by a student which is always a good sign.
Courtney
Dec 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: obob
Another winner by Rosanne Parry. I think it an odd choice for the 6-8 OBOB list (maybe better for 3-5) but a solid book regardless of who's reading it.
Mary
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cin
Good story that illuminates cultural differences as well as having a feminist message.
Amy
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-fiction
Absolutely wonderful book about Astoria and sailing and the Columbia Crossing. Author’s note is excellent as well as the recommended reading.
Kaitlynn
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Turn of the Tide was a very interesting book. I could hardly put it down in the really interesting chapters. It was way different than what I normally read but I liked it.
Bethany
I was creating questions for my son's battle team and I kept wanting to just read it, not stop and create questions. Nice story, but fewer sailing adventures than I was expecting.
Toquinho
Sep 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“The Turn of the Tide” was a life-changing book for me with many lessons I want to start applying in my life from now on. It is simultaneously written through the perspectives of two different characters, Bridget, nicknamed Jet by her family and friends, and Kai. Jet has the determination and fierceness I so long to embrace in my own life. Having a cousin from Japan you barely know come in and live with you isn’t for everyone. Jet deals pretty well with it, even though there were some bumps ...more
Katie Fitzgerald
Cousins Kai and Jet live on opposite sides of the Pacific Ocean: Jet in Oregon and Kai in Japan. When a tsunami hits Kai's community, he is sent to stay with Jet's family while the adults begin the rebuilding effort. While Jet tries her best to welcome her cousin into her boisterous Swedish-American family, Kai is consumed with guilt for not being with his family and friends during this tragic time. When Jet finds herself in need of a sailing partner for an upcoming race, however, she and Kai ...more
Kay Carman
Oct 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read all of Parry's books, and had the pleasure of meeting her at a literacy night at Imlay Elementary in Hillsboro several years ago. Her book, Heart of a Shepherd, set in eastern Oregon, was amazing. This newest one is set in Astoria and does a good job of evoking a sense of place.

The two main characters, Kai and Jet, are cousins - Kai living with his parents and grandparents in Japan, and Jet with her parents and younger brother in Astoria. Early chapters describe their separate
Melissa Mcavoy
A terrific story about two cousins from very different backgrounds who get to know each other and themselves. I don't want to summarize the plot because I think the author does a great job letting it unfold and much of the pleasure is in not knowing the blow by blow before hand. It starts with a gripping open line, ratchets up the drama and creates a lot of sympathy for Kai, the Japanese American boy. I was particularly aware of how effective the author's technique was as I've recently read ...more
Evangeline
Feb 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took me a bit of time to get into the book in the beginning--but it's an adventure tale involving two cousins. This is a great example of culture shock written into literature, drawing on Kai's Japanese culture mixed with American culture. Would love to do a literature circle discussion of this book with my 5th graders!

• Lost in the Sun
  • I Am Princess X
  • Schooled
  • Found (The Missing, #1)
  • The Seventh Most Important Thing
  • Rebel Mechanics (Rebel Mechanics, #1)
  • The Running Dream
  • Popular: Vintage Wisdom for a Modern Geek
  • Fallout (Lois Lane, #1)
  • The Lightning Queen
  • The Mark of the Dragonfly (World of Solace, #1)
  • Kalahari (Corpus, #3)
  • Hoot
  • Unbound: A Novel in Verse
  • The Body in the Woods (Point Last Seen, #1)
  • Save Me a Seat
  • The Candy Shop War (The Candy Shop War, #1)
  • Under Their Skin (Under Their Skin, #1)
Hey there,
I'm the author of several novels for young readers, including the forthcoming LAST OF THE NAME (Ap 2019) from Learner and A WOLF CALLED WANDER (May 2019) from Greenwillow.

All of my books have won awards, some of them bunches of awards, and obviously I'm proud of them all, so go look at the website for unbridled bragging.

I write because I love the power of story to illuminate and uplift