Start by marking “A Bitter Wind (Time Entanglement #1)” as Want to Read:
A Bitter Wind (Time Entanglement #1)

A Bitter Wind (Time Entanglement #1)

Can the past be changed without creating a paradox? Does history repeat itself or is that something we tell ourselves to cover our poor choices? When Alexander ‘Ramses’ Smith is assigned to decipher the odd hieroglyphs of the Temple of Khnum—all heka (magic) breaks loose. As a teen, his interest was in metaphysical and sharing psychic experiences with his beloved grandmoth ...more
Paperback, 1st, 368 pages
Published March 2015 by FriesenPress

To ask other readers questions about A Bitter Wind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Bitter Wind

Start your review of A Bitter Wind (Time Entanglement #1)
Anita Merrick
Dec 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: keeper-book
KIRKUS REVIEW --
In this debut fantasy, a young archaeologist struggles to decipher a temple’s puzzling hieroglyphics and his own paranormal talents.
The University of Chicago dispatches Alexander “Ramses” Smith—aka Lex—to study a temple in Egypt. Lex arrives via the Nile River in Esna, hoping to perform research valuable enough to secure his doctorate. The Temple of Khnum, however, has proved difficult for archaeologists to study because it’s filled with confusing, supposedly incoherent hierogly
Apr 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
A Bitter Wind is a debut novel that introduces young archaeologist Alexander Smith, who is trying to come to terms with what sounds to be a fairly overbearing father and a slightly complicated family heritage.
Smith is sent to Egypt rather unexpectedly on a dig; and once there he begins to explain a series of visions and odd events that leads him to question his sanity at first. As times goes on, Smith realizes that the problems may be the result of a latent psychic/medium ability that he had as
Michael Alan Grapin
Jul 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Immature, self involved and prone to tantrums, Alexander *Ramses* Smith, usually referred to as *Lex* throughout the novel, is a young archaeologist and PhD candidate with something to prove. His professor sends him to an obscure temple in an out of the way corner of Egypt to translate hieroglyphics. In his past is a talent for clairvoyance he shared with his beloved grandmother that is diagnosed as schizophrenia and haunts him to the present day. He's been forced to abandon his love for the met ...more
Brian Williams
May 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The first book that I read in English. Except for the short ones and "easy" ones. And it quickly found its way in the top books I've ever read.

I'm an ancient Egyptian fanatic. There's something about ancient Egypt that appeals to me, so it was a guarantee I'd pick up this book and at least give it a try. So, did The Bitter Wind measure up to my expectations?

Absolutely! Anita Merrick knows far more about ancient Egyptian mythology, culture, and language than I ever could have hoped for. She know
John Smith
May 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A Bitter Wind by Anita Merrick bent my mind out of shape. It is well-written and good mythical stories with real meaning.

Merrick's writing is beautiful and incredibly lyrical. There were so many quotable passages that I wanted to type out almost a whole page for a blog. She writes realistic characters without relying on too many stereotypes and clichés, and her characters form believable bonds, unlike a lot of stories where a group of kids randomly band together to save the day.

There were casu
Mary Hall
May 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A Bitter Wind is an amazing novel that weaves Ancient Egyptian history with a great fictional storyline. This is the first novel by Anita Merrick, and WOW, I was impressed! I've always been interested in Ancient Egypt and a lover of history, so this book had many elements that kept me reading into the wee hours of the night. Merrick has done an excellent job of creating a new trilogy that is truly unique and a little bit mysterious.

I haven't been able to stop thinking about this book since I fin
Charles Jones
May 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
When I first started this book, I thought that I wouldn't like it, but the more I read, the more I was intrigued.

Although, in the beginning, the plot is slow. That didn’t bother me because it let me get my bearings for a little bit as Lex’s dreams became more and more frequent. But Anita Merrick didn’t dawdle for too long because soon everything was happening at once, and Lex’s world changed completely.

Despite the insanely fast pacing at some points, I never felt like the character development
Daniel Davis
May 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
For starters, Merrick does a great job of giving insight into her main character. Lex is a well-developed character, and we are given sufficient insight into his character to understand his actions.

Each chapter was suspense. I was never disappointed. I couldn’t imagine that the next chapter would be as good as the last, but it was always as good or better. Each chapter would reveal, in a suspenseful way, a new and exciting fact that impacted the heroine. I could hardly wait to turn a page. I was
Linda Young
May 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Best book I've read in a while! A cool premise to weave in history with fantasy.

The plot of this book is so complex; I feel like if I said too much in the summary, it may ruin the book for those who are planning on reading this. Anyway, I loved the characters in this book so much. Lex, the main protagonist, was so different from the heroines that I usually read about in books. He is so strong, and I love how he does not hesitate to say anything he pleases, even if it can get him into crazy situ
David Miller
May 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was a pleasant surprise. I love reading stories that make me think, and that captivate the imagination. The background information and the conflict setup draw you in. Even though we are dealing with a slightly different world, the supernatural elements are not so off the charts that you can't accept them.

Merrick incorporated the title brilliantly in the story, and the plot kept my attention. The plot is balanced, has great world-building, and you can see that a lot of research has gon
Donald Wilson
May 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
I love paranormal suspense, especially when there's a solid, strong storyline. A Bitter Wind gives all that and more. I was entranced by this book and luckily started it on a free day because I couldn't put it down until I'd finished. It's one of those where you're dying to know what will happen, but then when you finally get to the end, you feel sad, lost without the world, and people that's so gripped you for the last few hours.

This story has an original idea, which is hard to come by lately
Patricia Allen
May 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
“BLOOD, excites, and fuels magic, both dark and light; SACRIFICE is blood sorcery in its most basic measurement; DEATH is the doorway through which the soul gains wisdom, power, and freedom. These words are like breadcrumbs to be followed obediently but do so mindful of the spotted pigeons pecking at scraps dropped by careless tourists—morsels of wisdom dropped by shay/fate.”

I completely lost myself in this book. Fact and fiction, history, and legend, all coming together seamlessly into a truly
Barbara Hernandez
May 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Words cannot describe how good this novel was. I haven't read something this well-done in quite a long time. I mean, other novels are fabulous reads as well, but this one was a unique literary piece of magic.

As I became fully immersed in this story, I found myself attempting to connect the intricate pieces to a large puzzle, not quite knowing where the journey would ultimately lead. I was pleasantly surprised at some of the revelations that took me off guard and twisted the story in unexpected w
Elizabeth King
May 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
How can you possibly resist a book about ancient Egypt?

I can’t remember the last time I’ve read a book that was shrouded in mystery, and I wasn’t able to glean where the story was going or what the big ‘twist’ was going to be. Every turn in this book was a surprise and every twist, shocking, smart, and beautifully executed. When certain things were revealed, I was saying to myself, “I would never see that coming.” And I LOVE that. I loved that this book kept me on the edge of my seat until the e
Jennifer Wright
May 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A fascinating book for readers who like stories about Ancient Egypt.

I adore all things mythology - especially ancient Egyptian mythology.

So, when I could read and review A Bitter Wind by Anita Merrick, I knew that it was a book I would fall instantly in love with. And I was right! Two pages in and I was already tuning out the outside world, perfectly content to sit down all day with a book that had gripped me with its brilliant characters and unique plot.

It's male protagonist, Alexander "Ramses"
Maria Lopez
May 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
So first, let's comment on that GORGEOUS cover. Love it! It's not often that a cartoon/illustration cover can look YA, but this one does. So pretty! Second, I don't read a lot of fantasy novels, but this one was great. It contained so many of my favorite things!

A Bitter Wind was a breath of fresh YA air. Following Lex on his journey through ancient Egypt kept me on the edge of my seat and constantly wanting more. I honestly read this book in one sitting because I could not put it down.

Fact: A B
Ava WILLIAMS
May 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Great read, mysterious, and the writing creates a unique mood. Merrick is a master of this craft.

The characters featured in this book are unique, well-written, and are nothing typical. Blake was not afraid to break out of the norm, having both tough and weak male characters, as well as female characters who are equally tough and weak. There are no minor characters. Everyone is equally important, and none are more developed than others.

Another good feature of this book was there was almost no fo
Christopher Brown
May 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I'm on leave, so my reading choices have narrowed down to things that I can read in short bursts/things that are worth spending precious downtime on.

This book was it. I was so engaged by the characters and plot that I didn't want to put it down because I was so engrossed in it. I stayed up all night to finish it.

I loved the mystery and the suspense of it, the pace and the intelligence. Merrick didn't waste words; she takes you exactly where she wants you to go and makes it worth your while.

In s
Kenneth Jackson
Jun 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is not your typical fantasy, mythology story because it doesn’t revolve around mainstream Greek and Norse; instead, the entire book is Ancient Egypt mythology, which is uniquely interesting.

Written by Anita Merrick, The Bitter Wind envelopes the life of Alexander, an archaeologist, and a pursuing Ph.D. professional who has a strange upbringing with his grandmother.

Through her, Alex mustered a supernatural ability and psychic vision that he disdained while growing up. Albeit, it wasn’t the
Paul Garcia
Jun 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Traces of the past living in the present – an ironic phrase that transpires in the book, A Bitter Wind, by Anita Merrick.

This book narrates the story of Alexander Smith after he was sent to Egypt to discover the archaeologies of the Egyptian culture.

Merrick wrote the story with unending mysteries. The narration hides a message hiding in each thought and scene in the book. As the story continues, you get to experience an adventure of breaking codes of reality and illusions represented by the cha
Nancy Baker
Jun 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What surprised me about this book, aside from how well-written it is, is the author.

A Bitter Wind: Time Entanglement is the FIRST book that Anita Merrick debuted for the series. She was a 3rd generation psychic of her prime, now retired, she magnificently ventures on the magic of writing to transport readers to the universe of Egyptian mythology and liberate from reality.

This book reflects the author's fascination with Egyptian mystics and her profound career as auspice visionary that led to the
Betty Nelson
Jun 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Logic and Science challenged by mental sense and instinct – this contradicting idea represents the novel “A Bitter Wind” by Anita Merrick.

It is a fantasy novel that tracks the supernatural experiences and ability of Alexander Smith, set in the domain of an Egyptian temple that holds archeological treasures and mysteries.

Merrick interestingly wrote the plot and mystically created the characters from her imagination. The narration of the story gives off a feeling of suspense and mystery. The dilem
Robert Robinson
Jun 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
“Enter not with arrogance or greed, for that is the nectar upon which the Afret freed.”

This line from chapter 7: Acceptance, caught my attention the most.

In the book, it was on reverse text glued on Alex’s chest using a collage of letters, and then he got the actual message by mirroring it in his bathroom. Even though it is something intended for Alexander in the story, it has its share of implication to us. The quote is an allegory or mortality.

“Arrogance” is an overbearing attitude, and “greed
William Lee
Jun 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Anita Merrick’s book, A Bitter Wind: Time Entanglement, is a story about a young archaeologist who was sent to Egypt by his professors to study the confusing hieroglyphics found in the Temple of Khnum. It was there where he discovered mysterious things about the temple.

Alexander “Ramses” Smith, also known as Lex, has psychic powers and was taught by his clairvoyant grandmother. So, when he entered the temple, he sensed mysterious energy inside the temple. Lex, then, found other people trapped in
Ruth Turner
Jun 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Is there anyone out there that would like to read a book filled with suspense and mystery? What about a protagonist with psychic abilities? Or a story with a unique element like Egyptian culture and mythology integrated into it? I would!

The good news is, there is a book like that, and it's called A Bitter Wind by Anita Merrick. The book is filled with suspense and mystery about Esna and the temple Lex had to study the ancient writings in. And due to his psychic abilities and his clairvoyant gra
Kimberly Edwards
Jun 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is an amazing and captivating fantasy story! A Bitter Wind by Anita Merrick is an awesome book, that tells the tale of an archaeologist with psychic powers (although, he tries not to use it) who travels to Egypt to study the confusing hieroglyphics found in the Temple of Khnum. While he is there, he stumbles upon a dangerous mystery about the temple.

Lex is a great character and protagonist because he has a good sense of humor, and his reactions to what was happening were understandable. I
Kevin White
Jun 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
The challenge to determine fantasy between reality and holding the responsibility of knowing the secrets unknown to many – these scenarios depict the life of Alexander Smith transcribed in the pages of the debut novel “A Bitter wind,” penned by Anita Merrick.

The story’s plot was full of mystery, secrets, and untold truths that successfully resonate the feeling of thrill and adventure.

The beauty of the mystical world of psychics was narrated through her characters. The depth of archaeology and it
Mark Harris
Jun 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Supernatural genre is honestly not my cup of tea, but something about A Bitter Wind kept me flipping the pages, and I couldn't help it!

Anita Merrick is an amazing author who turned the knowledge of Egypt and the psyche into an awesome fantasy book full of mystery, discovery, and adventure.

A Bitter Wind: Time Entanglement, as the title of the 1st book of the series, suggests, this opened a gateway to time and brought its readers to the ancient period in Egypt.

The mystical traditions and beliefs
Matthew Martin
Jun 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
A Bitter Wind: Time Entanglement is the first novel of a Psychic Intuitive, Tarot Reader, and author, Anita Merrick.

This book tells the story of young Alexander Smith, an archaeologist and Ph.D. candidate, who was sent to Egypt to decode some hieroglyphics.

As Lex journeys on, the readers are taken on an adventure into getting to know more of the city’s ruins, history, and ancient beliefs. As Lex discovers more of Egypt and the deep secrets of the stone ruins, he gets to know more of himself and
Priya Gupta
Jun 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A Bitter Wind authored by Anita Merrick is a fantasy novel that reveals the world of the paranormal and psychic set with the historic culture of Egypt.

This book is a gift to the literature of archaeology, history, and psychology. It tells the adventures of Alexander Smith, who was sent to Egypt to decode and understand the meaning of certain hieroglyphics.

As the story goes on and Alexander delves himself in the wonders of Egypt, he realized that he must “assess not with the eyes, but from the so
« previous 1 3 next »

• Poems: Reflecting the Truth-Volume One: Over Fifty Years Researching the Truth
  • Three Degrees and Gone
  • Through the Redwood Hollow
  • The Spirit of Want
  • Harvest of Souls Crossover Part 2
  • Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide
  • The Art of Creating Story
  • Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles 2000-2016
  • A Recluse No More: Battling with the Dragons of the Mind
  • Not All Who Wander Need Be Lost: Stories of Hope for Families Facing Alzheimer's and Dementia
  • The Virus of Beauty
  • For You, My Child
  • Ready or Not, Here I Come
  • The Optical Lasso: Beware of Neptune's Dark Side
  • The Emerald Home Run
  • You're on Your Own
  • McDowell
  • The Surgeon's Wife
As a Mystical Author, Anita Merrick is a 3rd generation psychic, retired and living in a wooded area of Erin, NY with her husband, Timothy, and furry children—two West Highland White Terriers and a half-Westie/Cavalier King Charles spaniel. As Crystal Wind (DBA), she is a Psychic Intuitive, Tarot Reader and Medium, an ordained priestess in the Order of Melchizedek. She holds certification as a Tar ...more

News & Interviews