Start by marking “Life Blood (Cora's Choice, #1)” as Want to Read:
Life Blood  (Cora's Choice, #1)

Life Blood

(Cora's Choice #1)

She wanted life. He needed her blood.

Cora Shaw will do anything to live. Diagnosed with terminal cancer in her senior year of college, she is given a choice: Call hospice, or seek out a mysterious man who promises an impossible—and insanely dangerous—cure.

She knows him only as Mr. Thorne, a reclusive billionaire who seems full of contradictions. A man with strange, impossi

Published February 28th 2014 by V. M. Black

To ask other readers questions about Life Blood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Life Blood

Mara
Apr 17, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebies
Updated

Sorry, I hate serials*, and I hate even more when I am not told it's one. To be fair I wasn't going to give this short story more than two stars anyway. But let it be clear that the one star is due to the format, where basically you expect a story that doesn't exist.

Why the 2 stars then. Not much of a plot, nor characterization. I thought that the illness was well described, and it still doesn't add up. The story is too short, or the writing not gripping enough, to make me understand why
VampireNovelFan
It was a pretty generic read. The only interesting part for me is that this takes place at the University of Maryland, College Park. That's my alma mater. Unfortunately the imagery is a bit lacking. I was hoping this would evoke a sense of nostalgia for me, but it's like the author reserved that more for describing food and pretty much anything else but the campus. The relationships and the obvious potential love triangle felt a bit forced and rushed. I think more time should have been spent bui ...more
Emily
Mar 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: vamp romance fans
Recommended to Emily by: free ebook on Amazon
Really good. I would definitely read the sequel. Looking forward to it being released in April 2014.

Updated:

Read a 2nd time 04/14/2014

I enjoyed it more the second time. Great little novella, and fantastic intro to what promises to be a great series.
Melissa Ganz
This had promise in the beginning. The writer does a nice job in pulling you into the plot, and the approach is new and creative. Her writing initially is good enough that you're able to be absorbed. Unfortunately overall it's a pretty bad book.

My main criticisms are that the internal dialogue of the main character is much much too lengthy, and the male lead is extremely one dimensional. I was almost prone to fall more for the supportive best friend character because she had more dimension.

In
Susan ...so many books and so little time
I enjoyed the book...in many ways...first, it was a simple read...second, I like the character Cora a lot...she is strong willed knowing that she wants to live, and do everything possible to survive the illness she has...cancer...third, I loved the concept of the plot...and wondered if I would be soooo willing to say yes to a man, whose bond with me both confuses me...and causes a fire within my soul...hmmmm

BUT, and yes there is always a but...I wanted more...I wanted to know more about Cora...m
Kj
Feb 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cora Shaw has cancer. The story starts with her in her doctors office and the doctor is telling her she has no hope. She has only a few months to live all the doctor can do for her now is give her two business cards. Cora has to make a choice. Either she has to call the first card which is hospice care or the second card where she might just have a chance to survive. A mysterious billionaire has offered her an experimental treatment. The problem .......this treatment ends in a 99% death rate. Th ...more
 Spanxmcb (Yovanka)
Nice premise and an interesting start to the series.

I'm reading all six installments back to back. Although it's a serial, reading them as one makes it feel like a novel.

I had moved away from the NA demographic for a bit, but keep getting pulled back. I like the concept of a terminal cancer patient being given a second chance at life as a vampire's consort....let's see where this goes.
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ammp-challange
It was a little too short for me, the paranormal aspect never really surfaced until the end, but it was written well.
Anna
Sep 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cora is a college senior, same as any, with hopes and dreams for a bright future: grad school, career, husband, kids. Only that is all threatened when she is diagnosed with a rare form of Leukemia and her last chance treatment does not work. She is armed with two choices thanks to her oncologist: a referral to hospice or an ominous business card for a last ditch non-medically sanctioned chance. Of course she calls the number on the business card.

Dorian Thorne, attractive, compelling, and ridicul
Ingrid Hall
Apr 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Imagine you had terminal cancer with only months to live.

Imagine your doctor gave you the choice of either checking into a hospice to die, or calling an anonymous number on a business card.

Imagine after calling that number an incredibly handsome man says he can offer you a procedure with a 1/100 chance of being permanently cured, and a 99/100 chance of imminent death.

I would imagine that you would have some major decisions to make!

Cora's Choice is the first in the Life Blood Aethereal Bonds seri
Future Slayer Girl
Jan 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: oyster-read
This was a strange little novella that I picked up because I saw it advertised on Facebook with one of the sponsored ads. The thing that most interested me, was that it was written in the Twilight formula. Now, don't misnderstand me. It is written with that FORMULA. For example, girl is dying of cancer. Girl meets hot rich dude that could possibly cure her. Girl has a bestie dude friend that is human, normal and can give her a normal life. But oh no. Hot rich dude ends up being a vampire who the ...more
Betty
Mar 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I give this book 4.5 stars because it was too short-it's a novella!
Cora Shaw will be graduating from college but has T-cell leukemia and has been given 5 to 6 months to live. They've exhausted all possible cures for her and there is nothing left but hospice or an unproven possible cure. She is all alone in the world except for a few friends and a possible romance with her friend Geoff. The heartbreak she goes through is indescribable. She decides to find out about the unproven cure-what does she
Cozen
Apr 17, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Incomplete. Again with these stupid half segments of a story. I refuse to give this author any more credit than my half effort star for an incomplete book.
Viblackberri
I enjoyed reading this book; It's a bit edgy and dark. There's Cora, a collage student, who's ill and may only have a few months to live. Her only option to live is a mysteriously dark sexy man name Mr. Thorne. After a couple of tests,intensely hot( sexy) meetings with Mr. Thorne and weeks of waiting Cora's approved to participate in Thorne's single treatment test trail. This book, ends with Thorne injecting the treatment into Cora's blood. I can't wait to see if it heals Cora or take a turn for ...more
Eva Millien
Jan 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cora Shaw doesn’t have long left to live and she’ll have to choose whether to take part in an experimental procedure by the strange, compelling Mr. Thorne. A steady to fast paced plot with well written scenes and details that capture the imagination and well orchestrated suspense and emotional drama that draws the reader and doesn’t let go.

4 STARS

To see my full review:
Patti Ashley
Jun 21, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Very disappointed

Unlikable characters and a really demeaning situation makes me want to stop reading. I continued because I had purchased the first three books and I was convinced they had to get better. I was wrong.
Janna Nephew
it's a good story and I have no problem with short stories, I just don't like how they sometimes just cut a story into pieces and sell them separately. this story drew me in and got me interested but then just stopped at the climax.
Teresa
Apr 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh..man now I have to get the next book!
Victoria
Mar 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebie
Free Kobo eBook.
Natasha Morales
Apr 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome

Awesome

captivating book and lots of build up. can't wait to read the next book. I read it within a day.
Laura Calver
Read this because I saw an ad on Facebook in the middle of the night when my baby wouldn't sleep. I'm glad I didn't waste full consciousness on this :)
Catherine
I received a free copy from the author in return for an honest review. Though, it's available for free on Amazon anyway. This review will likely contain spoilers and will be cross posted to Amazon and Smashwords.

I really feel that Cora was kind of... unbelievable. She was essentially kind of stupid and it didn't seem at all as if she cared about her potential death. From the very beginning, I could have understood that she was just remembering things about herself, being that she'd already dealt
Codee
Oct 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn’t realize before reading that this was a short story rather than a full-length book. I had seen this advertised as 50 Shades of Grey meets Dracula or something, so I was expecting sex. I imagine as the series continues, that’ll happen - I just figured since it was described that way from the off, that it’d be more focal. But upon reading, I see why it’s described like 50 Shades. It has the same smooth, easy reading flavor that 50 Shades had as well as a similar way of looking at the world ...more
Mary Winstead
Dec 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cora has terminal cancer. No cure nothing to stop it. She only has 5 months to live. The Dr gives her a card with only a number and a pamphlet for hospice. She calls the number and automatically get driven to Mr Thorne. And he takes her blood to see if she's a match. She is a match for the cure. You need to read this book. Great story line. Cannot wait to read the rest in this series.
M
Sep 03, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It ended before anything really happened

Very slow start, then things got interesting right before the book ended. It is crazy to pay three dollars for the next novella.
Angela
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this! Cora has her life saved, but irrecoverably changed by Dorian! Love this series.
Carrie (Bears Read Too)
This review was originally posted on "Bears Read Too!"

My Thoughts Green swirls

Life Blood is the first book in a series of novellas by V. M. Black called Cora's Choice.

Cora Shaw found out that the drug that she's been on for her illness isn't working and she's terminal.  She was given the option of seeking out something a little unconventional and having a chance at life or going to hospice where death is inevitable. The "something a little unconventional" goes by the name of Mr. Thorne.  His method is certainly not
Monsterella Reviews
This is a short story full of life. A young lady, Cora, is facing eminent death from cancer and none of the drugs are working. After being given a pamphlet and a business card by her doctor she must make a choice. What is she to do? Will she live life to the fullest or take a gamble? Read and find out.

Favorite lines from the book:
"You're lab results are in. Good news. You are an excellent candidate for the procedure."

"I'm at Johns Hopkins, for godssake, I thought bleakly. Where else can I go?"

"B
Holly
Sep 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was good fast read and it has you hooked from start to finish. I can only discribe the story as Twilight meets 50 Shades Grey. I can't say much about the story because I don't want to give spoilers. Go out and read it!
Jadine
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books
I don't know what to say about this book. it is one of those that gets you interested and then offers to continue the story... if you buy the next book. It was OK though.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Tempting Gray (The Untouchables #2)
  • By My Choice... A Valentine's Day Story
  • Reflections of the Wolf (The Gray Pack #2)
  • Forever & The Power of One: The Forever Series, Book 1 & 2: A Reverse Harem Paranormal Romance
  • Serial, Volume Three (Serial, #3)
  • Curvaceous Condemnation (The Endurers, #2)
  • Heart of Darkness
  • The Blood King (Dardanos, Colorado #1)
  • Immoral: Tales of a Vampire Hunter (#1)
  • Heaven High (East Lake Series #1)
  • Late Night Snack (Sanguine, #1.5)
  • Shadows Fall (Others of Edenton, #1.5)
  • Vampire's Eve (Vamp Life #1)
  • Destiny United (Shadows of Destiny, #2)
  • Fairy Blues (Songs of Magic, #2)
  • Blood Claim (Half-Blood Princess, #1)
  • The Progeny
  • Freak City
I write steamy paranormal romance, particularly vampire and shifter/werewolf right now. Check out my two free series starters, Life Blood and Taken. :)

I most often compare my work to Twilight meets 50 Shades (my vampires in Cora's Choice are more dark and angsty, and the S/M elements grow more and more pronounced as the series progresses), but the names that readers most often mention are Anne Ric

Cora's Choice (6 books)
  • Blood Born (Cora's Choice, #2)
  • Bad Blood (Cora's Choice, #3)
  • Blood Rites (Cora's Choice, #4)
  • Blood Bond (Cora's Choice, #5)
  • Blood Price (Cora's Choice, #6)