Start by marking “Sociology” as Want to Read:
Sociology

Sociology

About the Book: Sociology: 7th Edition The Seventh Edition Of This Indispensable Resource Goes From Strength To Strength Providing A Vibrant, Engaging And Authoritative Introduction To Sociology. Revised and updated throughout, it provides a commanding overview of recent global developments and new ideas in sociology. Classic debates are also given careful coverage, with e ...more
Published April 24th 2013 by Wiley

Start your review of Sociology
Graham
Nov 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anthony Giddens is the main man in the modern world of sociology, who has created a master peace of theoretical thinking regarding social interaction, organisations and networks from education to environmental cities and urban spaces. My particular favourite was Crime & Deviance.It is a book you will refer to time and time again, and it always has the answer. One point I would like to make though that the majority of the observations that Giddons has made is from the 4 walls of his office, so le ...more
Deb Davis
Jan 24, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading this for my Sociology class. Highly recommended.
Craig Herbertson
Absolutely hateful rambling text book
Ali Tawana
it is basic of sociology for start this field.
Magdalen
Feb 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: üniversitesi
Out of so many University books I've read this is by far one of my favorites. A huge thank you to my brother for suggesting it to me.
Gidden's Sociology is something that every single person in this rotten world should read. Especially the "know it all" people. It's an extended study of sociology (it includes culture, gender, sexuality, religion, crime, economy etc..) It begins with Sociology's foundation and reaches the point of how it's viewed today.
Summed up in a few words it's an examinati
Jona
Nov 11, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sociology
A must read for sociology dummies.
A rich introduction to sociology theories.
If you don't fall asleep while reading it, once you finish you will be able to understand a thing or two about sociology... i.e. the real 'science' of "sociology" :)
Aicha NEDJAR
Apr 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sociology
A must read for sociology dummies.
A rich introduction to sociology theories.

Shane Wallis
I found this to be quite an interesting introduction to Sociology. My knowledge of the field is quite sporadic and limited, so this introductory text proved to be quite informative. Their explanations were quite clear and easy to follow. I am looking forward to reading more work by the writer.
Matteo A.
Jan 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't had the time to read it all, and I frankly believe it doesn't deserve 4 star for the opinionated pseudo-postmoderfeminist content. However it is an incredible and well informative book for dip your toes in Sociology. ...more
Caroline
I love that I'm using an A-level textbook to write my finals. This is the power of Giddens. ...more
Salma Al Rayes
Nov 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wish I could take this copy with me ...
Burinschi Emil
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would recommend this book as a start-up point for anyone interested in Sociology.

Nonetheless, Giddens's immense focus on British examples felt more or less awkward from a global point of view.
Taliarochminska
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
magnus opum of sociology textbooks
Gavin
Aug 15, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
(Credibility note: I went to sociology lectures I wasn’t registered for; that plus this book is all I know. The following thus risks making the mistake of disgruntled undergrads everywhere: assuming that my limited understanding of a field is all the field is. Still:)

Even that might have exhausted the intellectual benefits. Owing to blameless methodological difficulties (e.g. the 'causal density' of human behaviour, that little experimentation is possible, Hawthorne effects, low statistical pow
Marie
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this mainly as a reference book for my writing as well as other topics. It was a near-new book and I paid less than $6.

But, that isn't the point.

The point is ... yes, this is a VERY boring book. But, educational and informative material usually is. This is definitely far beyond the Sociology I took in 10th grade back in the 1990's. But, this is a far more comprehensive view of that subject.

Once you get past the introductory chapters of what the subject is, the text book delves into a
Hind Al-Qahtani
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: curricuclum
Im reading the 8th edition for my intro into Sociology class and have heard that this book gets re published every year with minor changes which has been a way to criticize its content as it is not updated correctly. Personally though I enjoy it and appreciate the content. It may be the part of me that thinks I know too little that finds comfort in a little older material. Its a form of catching up to know how things used to be until I eventually find out how it is now. Thats not to say the info ...more
Imad Ahmed
Aug 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this book up the day I met the person who would become my economics PhD supervisor and finished it the week I am submitting my dissertation; I picked it up entertaining the idea that I might want to delve into sociology for a PhD rather than economics. Anyway, it took that long to read. Has some shortcomings in analysis, but does a good job of offering diverse views, reviewing canonical literature and covering a broad swath of literature.
Mohammed Al Hajji
Oct 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A survey on sociology that discusses the major facets of the field, including daily interactions, gender, crimes, health, and family. It's important to note the book is a bit outdated, especially in the subject of media and communication. None the less, it's a great read for those who want a nice introduction to the field. ...more
David Amaro
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sociologia
A fantastic book for introducing anyone to sociology.
Manoj
Jul 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book. Absolutely loved it. I really enjoyed spending a week reading it over lockdown period. Lots of information compressed.
Susetyo Priyojati
Apr 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Plus: rather easy to read, quite friendly to people with backgrounds other than social sciences; quite diverse (in topics and cases); hailed from UK, thus giving perspectives other than the predominating(?) US ones.
Minus: some unnecessary typos. And this is about Goodreads not the book itself: the page total number is not 800 pages, it's at least 969 pp (just counting the contents) or 1094 pp (till the end of Index) and I can't update my progress accurately! =(
Mahfoudh Ebakar
Its a serious academic book and very well written engaging & interesting.
would give it 5 stars but juts ...
Few times I felt the writer point of view wasn't accurate or understanding of other cultures forgetting thousands of years of history that the west was not even in a leading roll at the time & how culture , civilization evolved and so many inventions were done by others when Europe was in the dark ages .

Мариела Симеонова
I read it for a uni class. I study Public Relations and we take Basic Sociology. This book helped me a lot and it was a really interesting reading. The most important thing is that you read and you understand what you just read.

Great book! 5*
Jonathan Fryer
Apr 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you only consult one textbook on sociology, this is the one to go to. I always recommend it to my students at SOAS. Unsurprisingly, UK-centric but with wider resonance and it is usefully updated quite regularly.
Sherwin
A soft, well organized and easy to read textbook for beginners.
Bhesraj
May 19, 2012 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition

Hi
Niketa Williams
i will definitely read it
Sofia
Oct 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really like the work of Anthony Giddens. Helped me a lot with college. I can describe this book as a very complete book, it's like the Bible of Sociology. ...more
Lars Sjöblom
You would read this in Sociology class
Sofia
Jun 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It like a bible to sociologists. Very Good!
fatima 1 5 Jul 07, 2014 02:45AM

• Rimsko pravo
  • Capital in the Twenty-First Century
  • Economy and Society: An Outline of Interpretive Sociology
  • The Division of Labor in Society
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
  • Discipline and Punish: The Birth of the Prison
  • Röda rummet
  • The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order
  • آری این چنین بود برادر
  • Hva er sosiologi
  • Sociology: A Very Short Introduction
  • Liquid Love: On the Frailty of Human Bonds
Anthony Giddens, Baron Giddens (born 18 January 1938) is a British sociologist who is renowned for his theory of structuration and his holistic view of modern societies. He is considered to be one of the most prominent modern contributors in the field of sociology, the author of at least 34 books, published in at least 29 languages, issuing on average more than one book every year. In 2007, Gidden ...more

News & Interviews

Looking for a fictional meet-cute in the new year? We've got some steamy novels for you to snuggle up with, including Casey McQuiston's...