Start by marking “Dream: Re-imagining Progressive Politics in an Age of Fantasy” as Want to Read:
Dream: Re-imagining Progressive Politics in an Age of Fantasy

Dream: Re-imagining Progressive Politics in an Age of Fantasy

3.71  ·  Rating details ·  85 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
'Dream' makes the case for a progressive political strategy that embraces a new set of tools. Although fantasy and spectacle have become the lingua franca of our time, Duncombe points out that liberals continue to depend upon sober reason to guide them and suggests ways in which they can adopt the new when producing policies.
Published January 31st 2007 by The New Press (first published January 8th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Dream, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dream

Elizabeth
Jun 06, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2009
There's less to be frustrated with here than in Duncombe's zine history, but I ultimately suspect that this is because it is difficult to disagree with Duncombe's politics when they are so like my own. His overall argument that progressive politics needs to abandon rational and divisive thought in favor of embracing fantasy and dreams in order to cater to humans' innate desires is interesting, but not quite fleshed out enough to suggest exactly how it might happen. Further, his imaginings of par ...more
Kayleigh
Jul 12, 2017 rated it liked it
It took a few chapters for me even to be able to describe the gist of the book, but it ended up being a worthwhile read. Duncombe makes great points about how progressives can create more relatable political goals and actions, and how insisting on staying grounded in 'reality' can do more harm than good.
Rukshana
Nov 13, 2007 rated it really liked it
this book makes a lot of good arguments that progressives/leftists need to hear. the argument is more complex than activists simply appropriating strategies used by corporations and their advertising teams. we need to learn to tap into people's emotions, hopes, dreams, and passions the same way that corporations successfully do (to make us feel inadequate, and buy their products!). moreover, we need to tap into our own so that we can bring people into our organizations and movements. many of us ...more
Onnesha
Mar 28, 2007 added it
Recommends it for: politics
Pretty interesting analysis of how progressive politicians need to embrace the tools of manufacturing reality: advertising. The book was a little rambly and irritating (a lot of "it is, but it isn't..") but made solid points. The book takes off from that freaky quote that Ron Suskind extracted from someone in the Bush administration about how he [Suskind] and others don't get it because they're living in the "reality-based" community whereas he and the Bush admin create reality. I'm sort of obse ...more
Lydia
Aug 20, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: radical performers/ activists in general
Shelves: justread
This book was a bit on the academic-y side for me, but it tackled a lot of issues that i think about a lot, namely: how to better incorporate our ideas of a better society into our methods of protest, how to make a point and have fun doing it, and how to use the system to defeat itself...

It's not a "how-to" book but an exploration of the issue, which I liked. But the author didn't mention Bread and Puppet once, which I thought was silly. My sweetheart Kevin is one of the organizers of the HONK!
Steev Hise
Dec 15, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: activists, progressives, political artists
Shelves: politics
Really inspiring, at least that someone in academia is recognizing and deeply thinking about this serious need for rejuvenating left activism through play, art, spectacle, infotainment, what have you.

It's a little LESS surprising or educational than I had hoped - basically all the examples he used were old, stuff i already knew about - the zapatistas, reclaim the streets, billionaires for bush, etc. but the frame he puts it all in makes it worth reading.
Lizard
Jul 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: activists, teachers, and social justice leaders
an insightful look into the efficacy (or lack thereof) of the contemporary left, Dream is a deeply inspiring and highly readable call to action for art activists, teachers, and social justice leaders everywhere.
Kavita
Sep 07, 2007 rated it really liked it
Most recent book written by my grad advisor. Well researched and thought out analysis of what it means to a progressive or radical activist/organizer in the "Age of the Spectacle." Plus, I'm listed in the acknowledgement, so I gotta represent. :P
Joseph
Oct 20, 2007 rated it really liked it
made me want to take off my clothes and run in the streets to make a better world.
Ida
Jul 15, 2011 marked it as to-read
recommended by Ben S
Apr 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
It's always a good time to have professional wrestling compared to Bretchian theater.
teresino
found this book while looking for the smart meme collectives book called "ReImagining Change." and it ain't no coincidence that this book is in bibliography for the book that i was initially for.
Molly Ferguson
Apr 09, 2016 rated it liked it
This book argues that progressives need the type of engaging spectacles (ahem, the RNC) that conservatives have dazzled people with for several decades. It was a pretty interesting read.
AK
Jun 13, 2009
Elise
Feb 29, 2012
Diana
rated it did not like it
Aug 09, 2008
  • Love in Action: Writings on Nonviolent Social Change
  • Going Public: An Organizer's Guide to Citizen Action
  • Regulating Aversion: Tolerance in the Age of Identity and Empire
  • Hope in the Dark
  • The Government of Self and Others: Lectures at the Collège de France, 1982–1983
  • An Unreasonable Woman: A True Story of Shrimpers, Politicos, Polluters, and the Fight for Seadrift, Texas
  • McKeachie's Teaching Tips: Strategies, Research, and Theory for College and University Teachers
  • The Radical Reader: A Documentary History of the American Radical Tradition
  • Red Skin, White Masks: Rejecting the Colonial Politics of Recognition
  • The Emotions: Outline of a Theory (Philosophical Library Book)
  • The Sexual Revolution: Toward a Self-governing Character Structure
  • American-Made: The Enduring Legacy of the WPA: When FDR Put the Nation to Work
  • Work: Capitalism. Economics. Resistance
  • Parecon: Life After Capitalism
  • TAZ: The Temporary Autonomous Zone (New Autonomy)
  • Wobblies! A Graphic History of the Industrial Workers of the World