Start by marking “The Sexual Compass” as Want to Read:
The Sexual Compass

The Sexual Compass

"The story was that some scientists in Edinburgh had carried out experiments on mice. When the scientists gave a large dose of insulin to the mice in their food, a number of the mice began to engage in same-sex sexual activity."

"I might be giving out some gay vibes now, but until recently, I was a sexually interested heterosexual man..."

Gay to straight or straight to gay?
Paperback, April 2015 cover, 138 pages
Published April 15th 2015 by Unmusic Books (first published December 23rd 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Sexual Compass, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sexual Compass

Start your review of The Sexual Compass
Jeanette
Jul 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-readers
I won this book recently in a Goodreads First Reads giveaway.

This is very different to any other book that i have read. An enjoyable book and one that does make you think.
Jessica
Aug 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
I this book we have two narrators. They are both unhappy with their social lives, especially with the love/sex part. There has been a scientific breakthrough that has proven that insulin can change a persons sexual orientation, it is called "mouse" because the study was confirmed with lab mice. The first narrator we meet is not named, I think. She is a young, single mother who has not much of a social life. This is to be expected after she had a child while they were off going to college, ...more
Itsadog
Aug 06, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: first-reads
Briar's Reviews
The Sexual Compass was an interesting read diving into the question: can someone take a substance to cure or initiate homosexuality?

I have never read a story quite like this. Often authors don't dive into touchy subjects like this one, but Michael Reed did an excellent job! He touches on subjects like straight men wanting to dive into the world of homosexuality, and gay men who want to be heterosexual for a female partner.

The story itself seems to follow three people (although I'm not entirely
Amanda
Mar 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: goodreads-books
The Sexual Compass by Michael Reed, self published 2014,136 pages. Genre: social issues/science fiction.

Review: This book is incredibly intelligent. After studying Psychology, Sociology and Criminal Justice, I have to say I was impressed with this book. I'm impressed because the book has a way of making the reader really think about and consider societal issues. Even though this book is fiction there were a lot of parts where I felt like part of the group and everyone was telling me stories. I
Candice
Mar 12, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
Im having a hard time with this book. The idea is that maybe the government can change your sexual identity at will. I enjoyed the book when i was reading it. I enjoyed the characters. There was one male who i was incredibly connected with and anytime i read about him it made the whole book for me. But like im having a hard time with the social implications of this book. I know that the book is really about the characters and there emotional journeys but still the book is about sexual ...more
Stephen Yoder
Jun 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-read
What an odd, short, minimalist thought piece. I enjoyed it. The ending came about rather suddenly but it made sense both thematically and with my world view of the concepts at hand. One of the nightclub scenes moved me because I identified so strongly with the mental struggles a particular character had there. I received an advance reading copy of this book, but I still would have bought it, knowing what I do now. Hopefully my elliptical language isn't too tedious--I don't want to give anything ...more
McKenzie Richardson
A quick read that makes you laugh as much as it makes you think.

The concept was a phenomenal one and while the language was simplistic, the change in narration and humorous characters still kept the text interesting. I really liked Susan and John as narrators and really enjoyed their humor and wit.

A very interesting thought-experiment of a book that I highly recommend for those interested in the socially-constructed and rigidly-defined concepts of gender and sexuality in society.
Allyson
I received this book through Good reads first reads giveaway contest, for an honest review.

I thought the concept of this book was very interesting, definitely thought-provoking. I believe that we are what we are and the idea of changing that is an odd concept. I enjoyed it though.
Lisa
Aug 05, 2015 rated it liked it
I won this on first reads.

I have received this.

Very interesting ideas. Definitely gets one thinking. As I know many people who will be interested in the reading, I will be suggesting it to some of my friends and loved ones. Thank you Michael for the read.
Troy Martin
Oct 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was a book that I won and I'm very glad I did. It was an enjoyable read and quite interesting. Two narrators. Themes of unhappiness, longing, sexuality, geek culture, change and reinventing oneself are present.

As a North American, I learned some interesting British slang.
Theresa Chapman
Sep 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received this book in a good reads giveaway.
I thought it was a interesting read honestly. it does make you think if something like this really happen, how would you feel and react?
Marilyn Stanley
Feb 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is very well written and should be read by all so that everyone can actually see how science
and society interact with one another- I recommend this book
Stephen
May 16, 2017
Nelibel Santana
Mar 06, 2015
Ted
rated it did not like it
Nov 13, 2016
Debbie Kennedy
Linda
Star Ritchie
Feb 11, 2015
Advanced Copies f...: 48 Free Giveaway - The Sexual Compass 1 27 Dec 07, 2016 06:10PM
Michael Reed is a freelance writer specialising in technology, gender politics and geek culture. He has written articles for magazines and websites such as RetroGamer, Linux User & Developer, Men's News Daily, Micro Mart, A Voice for Men, Den of Geek, Linux Journal, OSNews, OpenDemocracy and others.