Start by marking “Alcohol Explained” as Want to Read:
Alcohol Explained

Alcohol Explained

Alcohol Explained is the definitive, ground-breaking guide to alcohol and alcoholism. It explains how alcohol affects human beings on a chemical, physiological and psychological level, from those first drinks right up to chronic alcoholism. Alcoholism and problem drinking seems illogical to those on the outside, indeed it is equally perplexing for the alcoholic or problem ...more
Published April 13th 2015

Start your review of Alcohol Explained
Kevin
May 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
IMHO, the best book about alcohol - ever. I found it to be a revelation. Clear, objective, rational description of a subject that many, (and I include myself here), often think about in a skewed, irrational and profoundly unhelpful way. I have an uneasy relationship with alcohol. As a result of reading this book I feel that my mindset has shifted. I am currently not drinking and I believe this will keep me maintaining this position.

William Porter's book is easy to follow, non-judgemental, and
John McCarthy
May 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This should be everyone's next book

I wish I had read a book like this years ago!
I stopped drinking 2 weeks ago and wasn't sure how long it would last,I have previously stopped for 3years and hoped I would at least do as well as that time
I am now confident that I can make my sobriety permanent information is power and this book has all the answers to the questions I couldn't find the answers to in the past 10/10
Wether you have stopped drinking or thinking about it or just want to understand
Lauren
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm not a drinker. The appeal has always been somewhat mystifying for me. But I have some dear ones who perpetually struggle with alcoholism, and the prevailing disease theories just don't sit well with me. This book was a revelation!! I hope this line of thinking becomes mainstream sooner than later. It could really help people.
Harriet Dickerson
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The science of alcohol explained very clearly with hope for getting sober at the end.
Annie Po
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Worth a read.

I always read self-help books with a critical eye since with self-help it is easy to be overwhelmed by the feeling that a solution is possible while reading, only to find that the author's method does not apply, or is not sufficient in itself, and this is how I read this book. I have read quite a few books on alcohol and addiction, I have used different services myself (from counseling to NHS, to hypnosis to to a year in AA), and while I can't be 100% sure, I have a feeling people
Ken Lynch
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Pins the tail on the donkey.

There were so many times where I nodded my head in agreement when reading this book. It quite literally explains exactly what alcohol does. I'm grateful for having read this book and I believe all the people should read it. Very informative, enlightening, and pleasing to read. Thank you William Porter.
Mandy
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic Book

Wow, what an interesting book. I wish they could teach this in schools to all the teenagers who think Alcohol makes them cool. This is my favorite book by far on Understanding what Alcohol REALLY does to you and we all know, Knowledge is Power. It’s written in such a way that as informative as it is, it’s not boring.In fact If I had read this 20 years ago , I doubt I never have even picked up a drink.. This book will help you understand what Alcohol is and how much your life will
Adam C Batstone
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A breath of fresh air

This book was fantastic. It was an easy read and full of well documented, irrefutable, scientific information. It had eye opening information that helped me understand why I was drinking, and provided me with facts that I needed to see alcohol for what it was, a poison that hurts our mind and body. If you question your alcohol intake or simply want an easy to read insight into alcohol, and it’s addictiveness you cannot go wrong with Alcohol Explained.
Jamie Edwards
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great read, well explained with easy to understand anecdotal and scientific evidence

It really makes you think to yourself "Why do I drink again?"

My one and only gripe was the lack of references to support the information or for further reading
Patrick
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic!

I’ve read dozens of books on alcohol and this is one of my favorites. Explains everything and then some. Just what I needed. Could it be what you need?
Ken Gillespie
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If alcohol is a problem for you

If alcohol is a problem for you and it probably is otherwise you wouldn’t be reading the reviews of this book and doing research on problem drinking then you REALLY need to read this book. It will explain to you in no uncertain terms why you drink to excess and why and how to stop PERMANENTLY. This process works.
Robert Totten
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
WOW

This book was remarkable. I have been sober for several years but never understand alcohol and it's effects on the body, especially the mind. It answered so many questions I had. I have new hope now and new tools to stay sober forever!
Caroline
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very informative and a great read.

Would definitely recommend ! It's helped me stay focused by understanding the mental and physical effects of alcohol. Won't be drinking alcohol again, I just wish I was strong enough earlier in my life to realize how it takes hold of you!! Thank you!!!
andrew
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great read for anyone trying to give up alcohol.

This book looks at the facts and processes of what happens when we drink alcohol. It doesn't do this by preaching but simply by stating the physical and mental stages we go through.
Lou Ann Bernet
May 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What I have been searching for

Have been trying to understand the alcohol trap for a long time. The Best explanation I have found so far.
Ruby Feight
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Changed my life

I am eternally grateful for the knowledge of this book! It's dramatically eye-opening, and life saving. I've learned this about alcohol that made me feel stronger and more committed to sobriety than ever before!
lanes2502att.net
Dec 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Connecting the dots...

This book helped me immensely! I was already sober curious but having facts explained finally connected the dots! And, helped me to be alcohol free!
Matt Kuzma
Sep 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Life changing

Very true. It is well worth reading this book whether you have a problem or not. It will be life changing
Mrs M L Potts
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
Badly written and very repetitive.

I chose this book as it seemed to have good reviews and I have recently stopped drinking. I thought it might explain some of the reasons why people drink too much and why it is so hard to stop. To some extent it did that and there are a couple of little gems of information in there but I was left very disappointed.

I can tell that the author is not a professional writer. His use of language is highly repetitive (he uses the work embibed so many times it grated as
Carolyn Mcclure
Aug 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Must Read for anyone questioning his or her drinking

Scientifically and psychologically destroys all myths about the benefits of alcohol consumption. Also gives tools to enable sobriety for a healthy meaningful life
Frank Hogan
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thought provoking

Toying with the idea of sobriety for a long time. Although AA has helped many it does not appeal to me. Mr Porters insights have informed me rather significantly. Well worth a read for the sober curious.
Andyliddle1
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent

Best quit lit I've read. I think as a man this really spoke to me and as a binge drinker too. Must read
Ali Fentress
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Not just how but why

If you not only want or need to quit but also want to understand what alcohol does to your brain and body then this is the book.
Denise Taylor babin
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book to read if you want to understand how alcohol actually impacts your life, body and mind. It was a huge help in my initial sobriety.
Killian Quinn
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great read

This book delves deep into what alcohol is all about and what it really is.would recommend everyone reads this it at any stage in their lifes .
Erica Hendry
Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Concise, informative, encouraging, empowering and extremely helpful. Helps break away from the mistaken belief, widely held in AA, that we are hopeless addicts who must forever hold the title of alcoholic and can't recover without a god or yes, you guessed it, AA.
Ms Amanda Sparkles
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good, matter of fact, clear headed approach to alcohol addiction.

I like this book. I’ve read a few quit lits and this one is in the ‘straight talking’, fact-based category. I didn’t like the fact that I kept coming across poor grammar and incorrect words like where loose was usedinstead of lose. There were quite a lot of errors. While it could be pedantic of me, poor English makes the overall message less valid in my mind. Next edition printed, this should be nailed. I am happy to take on the
Michael Brennan
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Life changing.

This is an amazing book. I have been trying to understand why I have become so dependent on alcohol. I might not succeed in quitting immediately but I am certainly going to give it a go.

Thanks Peter
Catherine Janssen
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Matter of fact

Worth reading! Not like many other books that are biographical, this one explains what alcohol does to our bodies and brains. It just makes sense not to drink. There is no upside, especially knowing what you will learn from this author.
Diego Palomino
Nov 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sobering.

I liked the way the author breaks down the process of drinking and how it affects the individual. Alcoholism feeds into itself, once this process is demystified it makes it very easy to understand why it is so difficult to stop drinking once it has become a problem.
« previous 1 3 next »

• This Naked Mind: Control Alcohol: Find Freedom, Discover Happiness & Change Your Life
  • The Unexpected Joy of Being Sober
  • Alcohol Lied to Me: The Intelligent Way to Escape Alcohol Addiction
  • The Sober Diaries: How one woman stopped drinking and started living
  • Kick the Drink....Easily!
  • The Alcohol Experiment: A 30-Day, Alcohol-Free Challenge to Interrupt Your Habits and Help You Take Control
  • Mrs D is Going Without: I used to be a boozy housewife. Now I'm not. This is my book.
  • The Sober Survival Guide: How to Free Yourself from Alcohol Forever - Quit Alcohol & Start Living!
  • We Are the Luckiest: The Surprising Magic of a Sober Life
  • This Naked Mind
  • Quit Like a Woman: The Radical Choice to Not Drink in a Culture Obsessed with Alcohol
  • Blackout: Remembering the Things I Drank to Forget
  • A Happier Hour
  • The Sober Revolution: Women Calling Time on Wine O'Clock
  • Sober Curious: The Blissful Sleep, Greater Focus, Limitless Presence, and Deep Connection Awaiting Us All on the Other Side of Alcohol
  • Girl Walks Out of a Bar: A Memoir
  • Alcohol is SH!T: How to Ditch the Booze, Re-ignite Your Life, and Recover the Person you Were Always Meant to be.
  • Unwasted: My Lush Sobriety

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
“Another of the considerable advantages is the improved quality of life as your broken sleeping patterns repair and you begin to catch up on the lost sleep. This will have a phenomenal impact on your quality of life. Waking up feeling fresh and ready to go is one of the great feelings in life.” 0 likes
“We can either resist a drink, or we can’t. And if we can’t, then we precipitate back to square one.” 0 likes