Start by marking “Computer Architecture- A Quantitave Approch” as Want to Read:
Computer Architecture- A Quantitave Approch

Computer Architecture- A Quantitave Approch

Brand New Softcover Edition.
Published January 1st 2012 by Elsevier India (first published April 1990)

Nick Black
Sep 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My gargantuan Second Edition of Mssrs. Patterson et Hennessy, reeking with the stench of death forever associated with CS2200 (the foulest corruption of awesome material via wretched undergraduate TA fuckups 'ere I've experienced), sits off in the corner of my room, 1100+ pages of processing, parallelizing, and pipelining. When I found problems assigned to our CS6290 (High-Performance Computer Architecture) class last week out of the Fourth Edition, and that -- of course -- the exercises had bee ...more
Gregory Blake
Nov 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An outstanding follow-up to Computer Organization and Design, Computer Architecture: A Quantitative Approach is exactly what it says on the tin: A Quantitative Approach to Computer Architecture. Shocking, I know.

I found Chapter One to be fairly uninteresting, the description of memory models in Chapter 2 and advanced pipelining concepts in Chapter 3 (particularly the discussion of Tomasulo's Algorithm) enlightening, but Chapter 4 is where the book really heats up. It starts light with vector and
Erik Z
Apr 13, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit wordy, like any good american book, but what really gets me about the book is the quote on the back, which will stay with me forever.

"Do you ever have the feeling that computer architectures come and go, but CA:AQA is forever?" =)
Samars
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome.
Colin
Sep 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think I'm probably now in the wrong position to be reading this book, as I've already had the undergrad courses on it. This is a clear and detailed look at the whole spectrum of computer architecture. It even includes a chapter on disk storage, although event I find it very difficult to get excited about RAID and disk drives!
This is a classic textbook on the subject. There's not much more to say.
Vasil Kolev
Apr 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: good-tech-books, tech
Definitely not easy to read.

This is a comprehensive textbook on ISA/architecture design, with very recent examples (i7, cortex-a8), and explains the problems you can see with the current hardware and how some of those get solved. There's a good chapter on GPUs, and not-that-good chapter on "warehouse-sized-computers" (e.g. a google datacenter).

It's good to do at least a cursory read, just to have an idea what happens below the compiler/compiled code/assembly.
Nathaniel Mathews
May 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: academic
Hennessy and Patterson have a lot of great numbers and facts in the book, which help ground the theory of computer architecture in reality. There's an excellent mix of content-driven chapters and helpful appendices. The only thing holding this book back from a perfect review is the heavy and obvious bias towards their own MIPS architecture, when in the modern world greater attention to x86 would probably have been more helpful.
Pete
Mar 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Arguably one of the most in depth and thoughtful books on computer architecture I have ever had the pleasure to read. A book I keep coming back too. Chapter 2 Memory Hierarchy and 6 Warehouse-Scale Computers are must reads. Highly, highly recommended.
DJ
Jan 22, 2010 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: computer-science
more adventures in computer architecture
Nivas
Feb 17, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: computer-science
Textbook used for computer architecture course
Christian Kotz
Jan 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
oldy but goldy
Nynke Fokma
Mine also mentions David A. Patterson as author.
Manik
It is a good Book
Kevin Winata
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: textbooks
It puts me to think about architecture as not merely a founded set of rules on how to build computers or each component. But using the trade-offs of each option.
Dimitri
Jul 16, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Patterson teaches a graduate course at Berkeley based on this book, and the lectures are available online
Diane
Jan 24, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The school I teach at, SUNY Old Westbury, assigned me this book for undergraduate Computer Architecture by mistake. This book is intended for graduate students.
Nick Black
Sep 18, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The fourth edition is a mighty step up, although this is a classic and well worth having for its expanded historical coverage, pleasantly interwoven in the text as opposed to cold exile on the cdrom.
Chris
Abhishek
Apr 16, 2013 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
afdgzfdgh
Robert Grossman
Challenging, but worth it.
Musfiq
Dec 24, 2007 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone interested
very interesting book. introductory materials but very helpful
Bhavana Ba
Nice book for Engineering students
Kirill
Jun 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dropbox
Must read comprehensive in-depth work on computer architectures. A kind of "what every programmer must know about computers" book.
Santy Patre
  • Engineering a Compiler
  • Programming Language Pragmatics
  • Operating System Concepts
  • Essentials of Programming Languages
  • The Implementation (TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume 2)
  • UNIX Network Programming, Volume 1: The Sockets Networking API
  • Operating Systems Design and Implementation
  • The Art of Multiprocessor Programming
  • Linkers and Loaders
  • Introduction to the Theory of Computation
  • Distributed Systems: Concepts and Design
  • Artificial Intelligence: Structures and Strategies for Complex Problem Solving
  • Compilers: Principles, Techniques, and Tools
  • Computer Organization and Architecture: Designing for Performance
  • Computational Complexity
  • Computer Networking: A Top-Down Approach
  • Computer Systems: A Programmer's Perspective
  • Introduction to Automata Theory, Languages, and Computation

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »