Start by marking “And The Sea Called Her Name” as Want to Read:
And The Sea Called Her Name

And The Sea Called Her Name

Born a poor lobster fisherman's son on the stark, Maine coastline, Jason Kingsley has always struggled with becoming more than what his father intended for him. After meeting and falling in love with the beautiful Delphi Arans, he feels his destiny has finally been fulfilled.

Their joy is unrivaled, something he's only ever dreamed of.

But soon disturbing events begin to inv
Published April 15th 2015 by Blackspine Books

To ask other readers questions about And The Sea Called Her Name, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about And The Sea Called Her Name

Start your review of And The Sea Called Her Name
Luvtoread
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Creepy Good!

This is a terrific short horror story. It is so well written and draws the reader in with each and every page. My interest and curiosity was tweaked in the prologue and never stopped, anxious to discover the basis of this unusual tale. Wonderful suspense and characters so likeable that I found myself feeling sad when the story had ended. I highly recommend this short story and it should not be passed over if you enjoy a bittersweet horror tale. I gave this book a rating of 4 1/2 🌟🌟🌟
Marie
This was my first time reading author, Joe Hart, so I was pleasantly surprised when the book turned out to be really good. I will be looking for more books by this author as this book was a page turner.

So on with the review of this short story!

Jason Kingsley has found the woman of his dreams as he falls head over heels in love with Delphi a/k/a Del and they end up getting married. Jason has a home which is by the ocean. Jason has to go into town one day and when he returns home, he cannot find
Marie Helene
Angel Gelique
Jun 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great, engrossing story! Review to come.

-----

Jason Kingsley meets and falls in love with Delphi ("Del") who tells him how her mother just mysteriously disappeared shortly after marrying her father. She was found a week later with no recollection of what happened, only to go missing again (for good) years later.

Not long after Jason and Del are married, Jason returns home and Del is gone. Fortunately, she turns up that same night, soaking wet and standing on the grass not far from the sea. She has
Latasha
A good creepy short story. And it’s not a selkie!
Debbie DiFiore
Cheryl
Apr 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the second body of work that I have read by author Joe Hart and I can now say unequivocally that he is the master of the creepy short story.
He has the talent to take an initial story about everyday people and surplant an unusual happening that causes a steadily increasing sense of dread. The end culminates in a reveal that's paranormal in nature and your left with your heart beating in your mouth and a sense of "Oh my god!"
I have two more of his short stories to read then I'm going to ex
Melanie
3.5 stars, rounded up to 4.

My 2nd Joe Hart, I enjoyed this and I love anything 'Lovecraftian'. There were a couple of twists, one I saw coming, one not so much. I felt a real empathy with the protagonist, and a nice creepy horror at the end.
Zain
Jul 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Lovecraftian!

I felt like I was reading a Lovecraftian horror!

Jason and his new wife, Del, move into his old family home. Unable to find work in his small, Maine town, he takes up work as a fisherman, the family business.

Everything is wonderful until Del disappears for several hours. When she returns, she has no memory of ever leaving. And then strange things begin.

This novel is truly suspenseful! You are constantly holding your breath, waiting for something to happen. And something does happen!
Shane
Oct 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult, fantasy, fiction, horror
Creepy!

I rarely read short stories but when I do, I want it to be as enthralling as a full length novel, especially one in the paranormal genre.

And The Sea Called Her Name was definitely creepy! From start to finish I was intrigued and wanted to know what was going on with Delphi. The story had a dark appeal, not to mention the writing was superb. I liked how even though 15,000 words, so much was given and I got to understand Jason and his situation. He never really wanted the things his parent
Oct 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very, very creepy. And while I'd kind of sussed out where the story was headed, I was still very tense, very on edge about what was going to happen next. I will definitely be reading more of this author's work.
Sam Plank
May 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
And this book called my name!

Came to amazon for some short ghost stories, and ended up finding this one. Definitely a nice little surprise of a book!
The Behrg
May 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
This was a fascinating read. Hart writes with incredible heart (excuse the terrible pun), and this story proves his writing only continues to get better. The setting, the relationship and the tremulous sense of foreboding all carry the story quickly along. While I wouldn't classify this as straight "horror" it definitely had moments of perverse tension. If you haven't yet read Joe Hart, this is as good a place as any to start.
Constella Espj
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Creepy Tale of Lovecraftian Love

This story is a slow burn, revealing its horrible secrets only at the end. It is heartbreaking on many levels, but I couldn't put it down. The descriptions are amazing, and they really put me into the world of the story with little touches that make it come alive. Fans of cosmic horror might find this to be a worthwhile and quality read. It is short but don't be put off by that. It is worth taking a look at.
Celeste
The thing about short stories, especially when they are as well written as this one, is that they drive you crazy with all the questions left at the end. Or they do to me at any rate. Didn’t go exactly the way I thought it would, not at all the way I thought it would in fact, but thoroughly enjoyable.
The Scary Reviews
Nov 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
Horror mixed with emotion

A great tale of a couple living near the sea and the sea wants what it wants. Deep emotions are felt in this horror short from anyone who has had a relationship go sideways and not know why. To say more may spoil the story, but if you have read Joe Hart before than know this one will not disappoint.
Sandra Knapp
Jul 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Different and interesting

A very unusual story, but I enjoyed it completely. For a short story, the main characters were very well rounded and filled out. They seemed very real in every way. A very nice and interesting little tale.
Dee Poynter
Mar 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Extremely CREEPY

Couldn't put down..totally gave me the willies! You did an excellent job. The ending? Didn't see that comming! Was waiting for the sweet reunion. Thank you
Shervin Jamali
Jun 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
A gem of a little novella. I really enjoyed this brand of supernatural horror. In an age where, I'm told, novellas and short stories are extinct, it's good to see that reports of their demise were exaggerated!
Patty
Nov 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Interesting take on the Sea

Sure wasn't expecting such a short story. And couldn't get behind someone growing up on the ocean wanting to be stuck in an office. But again totally got wife.s craving for fresh seafood while pregnant. Even raw. I was the same!
Chris Grant
Sep 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Cool Short story, continuing to be impressed by you Joe!! Keep em comin!
Alexa "Naps" Snow
Sep 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Got the chills

And I can't shake it off. Good job. Short but full of life and this chill, this feeling, the ocean... Recommended.
Justin Robinson
Sep 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
A good Lovecraftian piece. Short, but this one might not have sustained the central concept for a whole lot longer. A light recommend for horror fans, leading to a heavy recommend for Lovecraft fans.
Andrea
Feb 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!

I love a good scary story and this one fit the bill. Anyone who likes Stephen King would like this.
Charley Gorman
Aug 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Good short story. I would have liked a little more "why" but this was well written and enjoyable.
Jenika Ioffreda
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
A short story, free from Amazon Kindle, very well written. I enjoyed it and I am curious to read more books by this author.
Maria
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sad story

This story stayed with me for a long time. It was sad and interesting to think about the idea of all the secrets the ocean holds.
Sheila
Jan 26, 2018 rated it liked it
I have read many fantasy/paranormal/horror stories but I have to say that this was one of the strangest stories I have read so far. I would not say that it was bad, it was ok, but it was not at all what I thought it would be. I am glad that it was a short story or I probably would not have made it to the end.
Erica
Oct 11, 2017 rated it liked it
A creepy short story and a first for me from author Joe Hart. I had a traumatic experience while watching an octopus being eaten alive once and this book gave me nightmares all over again. I will definitely be reading more of his short stories and novels.
Mary
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love an atmospheric horror story by the stormy, wild sea. This one did not disapoint. Excellent short horror story. Del goes through some very creepy changes leading up to, and during, her pregnancy which leave Jason worried and scared. He has reason to be.
Horror Aficionados : And The Sea Called Her Name 19 22 Sep 24, 2019 04:20PM

• Stone Hill: Book of Crane: A Short Horror Thriller Story
  • The House Guest
  • Only the Brave (DS Allie Shenton #3)
  • The Hill (The Spread #1)
  • Spine
  • Devoted
  • Sour Milk: A Short, Sharp Horror Shock
  • Drop Zone: An Action-Packed Spider Shepherd SAS Novella (Spider Shepherd: SAS Book 3)
  • Alpha Billionaire (Alpha Billionaire, #2)
  • The Last Conversation
  • The Asylum
  • The Last Precinct (Kay Scarpetta, #11)
  • Boding Evil
  • Pecking Order
  • Animal Kingdom
  • Slow Burner (Hush collection)
  • Every Last Secret