Start by marking “Outlining Your Novel: Map Your Way to Success” as Want to Read:
Outlining Your Novel: Map Your Way to Success

Outlining Your Novel: Map Your Way to Success

Alt Cover: ISBN 0978924622 (ISBN13: 9780978924621)

Writers often look upon outlines with fear and trembling. But when properly understood and correctly wielded, the outline is one of the most powerful weapons in a writer’s arsenal. Outlining Your Novel: Map Your Way to Success will help you choose the right type of outline for you, guide you in brainstorming plot ideas, aid
Published (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Outlining Your Novel, please sign up.
Carolyn McBride This book covers so much more than outlining, I think writers would find it useful even if they write flash fiction. (Which I do) This book talks…moreThis book covers so much more than outlining, I think writers would find it useful even if they write flash fiction. (Which I do) This book talks about realistic and flawed characters, what makes them tick, beginnings, middles, endings...so much more than just outlining!(less)

Lee Dunning
What K.M. Weiland calls outlining and what I call outlining are vastly different. Outlining is a road map for me to make sure that when I get to the end of my story I don't end up painted into a corner, resorting to sticking a stupid space spider in as my evil monster (yes, I'm referring to "It" by Stephen King). K.M. Weiland seems to view outlining as a complete and utter diagram of every aspect of the story. In reading through her examples, they come across as free form brainstorming sessions. ...more
Kellyn Roth
Originally posted on the January 2017 Mini Review post

Whoa! That was fantastic!

Okay, so, I have written (to completion: I've started maybe fifty other books) three full-length books now. The first two had to be intensively rewritten. In fact, very little of the original drafts remain. Why was this? Well, after assuming myself to be a "pantser" (because I was too lazy to outline), I refused to outline ...

And that got me nowhere.

I decided to try some extensive outlining with my third book (current
Ashlee Willis
Jan 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I haven't felt that I spent my money on something so worthy of it in quite some time. This book was pretty amazing. Nothing I've read on writing before has made me get so excited about ... well ... writing! These are not just ideas that you have to grab at and hope work. They are solid ideas and principles that can get put into practice. I'm so eager to put these ideas to use in my next novel, and I'm lamenting the fact that I didn't read this book sooner. I've always known that, for me, outlini ...more
Cherie
Jun 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OUTLINING YOUR NOVEL: MAP YOUR WAY TO SUCCESS by K.M. Weiland focuses on ways to outline without destroying creativity.

Writers are often divided into two types: plotters and pantsers, but both sides can learn from each other. Outlines don’t have to kill creativity nor take away the thrill of discovering the characters and plot. Through various tools, the writer can learn about their novel in way that doesn’t bore the person. This book also includes interviews with various authors and how they do
Julian
Feb 12, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book gave me a clue....

"Write what you know," is a common phrase that's thrown around among writers.

"Outlining Your Novel" offers a method to "know." Know the world you are writing about. Know your characters. Know what the world in your head is "about". When you know what you are writing about, the writing goes MUCH easier. There is no getting around it: "knowing" is WORK. Figuring things out like plot, structure, characters ... all that stuff takes some determination and resolve. WORK in
Lilia Ford
Somewhat to my surprise, I found this book very helpful, both for the specific exploration of how experienced authors go about creating outlines and in general for its insights into the creative process. I would especially recommend the book for "pantsers" (like myself) who are looking to be more disciplined and efficient in their fiction writing. My one complaint is with the gushy style, especially the author's enthusiasm for extended metaphors. Typical example:

"After several months of diligen
Meg
Apr 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a K. M. Weiland fan! I can't imagine writing fiction without her.

This book offers some fantastic insights - definitely worth purchasing rather than checking out at the library, just so you can color-code and scribble margin notes. As a writer, I don't follow her outlining method to the letter (I doubt any two writers have identical methods), but her insights have definitely changed my craft forever.

P.S. Weiland's weekly newsletter is my #1 favorite resource as a fiction writer. Do yourself a
Julie Christine
The thing is, I pantsed my first novel entirely. I survived, the novel sold, it's doing well, I'm proud of the whole endeavor. But I would never (never say never) write a novel that way again.

Yet, I can't quite get my head around stitching together an outline in which each scene is planned, the beginning, middle, end a fixed thing, predetermined by process. I know now that each book is its own creature, that the narrative itself determines the process, more than the writer. I will always be a r
Annathea
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
W ramach przygotowań do CampNaNoWriMo zapoznaję się z teorią.
Miranda (M.E.) Brumbaugh
Great book for novelists, fiction and non. I'm currently in the revision stages of my fiction novel, but I've been pantsing it for the most part. I've found myself using the comments feature (on Scrivener) as I write each chapter where I list the details like plots, subplots, points of view, characters, settings, etc. I even started yet another notebook with the scenes written out in some semblance of order, but found myself losing focus when adding subplot scenes in with the plot scenes. I've d ...more
T.W. Spencer
Dec 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
After reading this book, Outlining Your Novel, I am impressed with the author's keen insight on novel construction. Her book has given me great insight into my currant manuscript. I have been a pantser for years, but when I started working on my current project, at the beginning of this year’s National Novel Writing Month, I soon realized that the idea was just too BIG.

I have had this idea playing around the back of my head for going on ten years now. I thought I had a good sense of where I want
Liberty
Jul 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a reluctant outliner, I couldn't recommend K.M. Weiland's book more. The techniques she suggests in "Outlining Your Novel" will definitely help me in future projects as I further explore the outlining concept.

Her book is well organized, beginning with many misconceptions about outlines--many of which I used to adhere to until recently--and taking you step-by-step to the start of the actual writing of your novel. Several techniques I'd already begun utilizing prior to reading her book. Many ot
Bill Tillman
I have listened to this author on You Tube with about 120 2 minute lessons on writing. She is very good and this book proves it. No wasted words, only point after point of clear instruction about creating killer outlines for your work.
Aleksandr Voinov
Smart little book that I read when I needed to think harder about where my book is going. I'll still remain 70% pantser, but even "thinking ahead" (as I call my plotting) can benefit from reading about/contemplating structure.

Maybe I'll try to outline the next one. :)
Hazel McNellis
Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Was mir gut gefallen hat...

Bisher habe ich mich vergleichsweise wenig mit Outlining beschäftigt. Allerdings merke ich mit jedem Buch, das ich schreibe, wie ich mir immer mehr Gedanken mache. Bis jetzt schreibe ich die Rohfassung runter und sitze danach umso länger vor der Überarbeitung, weil ich erstmal sehen muss, was zum Henker ich überhaupt produziert habe. 😱😅 Das ändert sich erst so langsam bei mir. Insofern ist das Buch von K.M.Weiland auf jeden Fall hilfreich.

Wer bislang nur wenig oder g
Glenn Rolfe
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you're a pantser like me, and you want to see what the whole Outlining thing is all about, try this book. I felt like it gave me the tools to try something I've been afraid of since I began writing books.
Turns out it's not so scary. I wrote my very first outline and I'm thrilled!
Note: No imaginations were stifled during this adventure.

5 stars!

Jessie Sara
Sep 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I gave 5 stars for this book. People would notice that I give quite high rating for all the books that I listed here because I only buy books that are relevant to my passion. The books have to go through stringent "selection process". I usually put them on a wishlist first and then after a few weeks I will go back and review my selection before finally finalizing my purchase. So if and when I finally purchased some books, I know I've made the right decisions, that the books will serve my immedia
Judy Croome
Mar 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: new and experienced authors
Outlining is my weakest point as an author, because outlining (like two people running across a cricket pitch, when only the runs for one will count as a score!) has always struck me as a waste of precious creative time. Weiland’s excellent book has gone a long way to changing my mind.

Well-set out, easy to read and meticulously researched, Weiland’s professional advice is touched with a natural, appropriate humour that makes learning from this text a pleasure.

While Weiland gives solid, practic
Shaun Messick
May 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am an author, and I have discovered that when I write I need to devise a plan or a road map for the story to take shape. When I wrote my first novel, Worlds Without End: The Mission (Book 1), I used what the author, K.M. Weiland, termed “pantsing” – writing by the seat of your pants. Even though I was satisfied with the final product of “The Mission” using this method, I had to revise and edit the novel too many times to count. As a result, I wanted to find out how other authors outline their ...more
M.G. Edwards
May 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
K.M. Weiland’s book is a great read for writers who use outlines to plan novels and need help fine tuning their writing strategy. It’s also for those who are skeptical of the benefits of writing outlines. After reading this book, those who prefer to write by the seat of their pants may find themselves convinced that outlining is a better way to go.

The author makes a strong case for writing outlines and includes interviews with published authors at the end of each chapter that explain why many w
Gillian Kevern
I read this in the hopes of getting myself back on track with two story projects that are fairly well developed but not quite there. I think it will be useful, but I think that most of the questions are more useful for someone at the very beginning of a project.
Elke Feuer
Feb 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book! It really helped me flush out my outlining process and made me think about things I hadn't in the outlining stage. I highly recommend this book if you are a beginner finding their way or looking to improve your existing process.
د.أمجد الجنباز
إن أردت أن تكتب قصة أو رواية

فهذا الكتاب هو المكان الأفضل لتبدأ منه
Vineeta Tyagi
There's nothing new in here but this book definitely turned me into a plotter, though I found only one useful advise in here for it. The thing is, I'm usually slowed down by minor details or my prose&dialogue, and I often go through writer's block when I don't know where to go; my first one or two drafts always go to waste; I also detest formal outlines.

The best advise I found in this book was to go for a judgement free road map in which you briefly describe what happens in a scene in the ki
N.N. Light
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must-read and own for all writers. It opened my eyes to outlining and made me a better writer.
Mikayla
Oct 16, 2018 marked it as dnf
I liked some of what I read, but I had to return it to the library, so I've temporarily stopped. I'm hoping to pick it back up soon.
Zac Cronin
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best of the best
Ow1goddess
Jan 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, research
Pros of this book:
- The system is straightforward and should work for any length or type of fiction writing, plus you can use it even if it's something you've already started
- Gives you an idea of an order for producing an outline, though you don't have to follow it. I realized that what I've always thought of as an outline is basically the LAST step of the process. I like the idea that it is a roadmap cut down from the notes.
- Examples that show it in action. At first I was turned off that she
MoonstoneOwl
First read: 3.5. I enjoyed this writing book, but I think that it would be more useful for people delving into outlining for the first time. I've already developed my own elaborate outlining system (probably too elaborate) and I found a lot of the information presented in this book to be kind of basic- at least for me. Still, I found some nuggets of information that will be happily incorporated into my outlining process :) So yay!!!

This book has a companion workbook that you buy separately. You
Paul
Sep 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After reading Weiland's exceptional book "Structuring Your Novel", my next stop was to pick up this gem to add to my growing list of novel writing resources. As an admitted "pantser", I'm excited to put the tool of outlining to use in my next work.

Before reading this book I had always thought of outlining as a stuffy, rigid exercise that would lead a writer to little more than getting from point A to point B. Weiland completly blows the misconception of outlining out of the water right from the

• Rock Your Plot: A Simple System for Plotting Your Novel (Rock Your Writing, #1)
  • The Plot Whisperer: Secrets of Story Structure Any Writer Can Master
  • Nail Your Novel: Why Writers Abandon Books And How You Can Draft, Fix and Finish With Confidence
  • The Fire in Fiction: Passion, Purpose and Techniques to Make Your Novel Great
  • Revision & Self-Editing: Techniques for Transforming Your First Draft Into a Finished Novel
  • Story Engineering: Character Development, Story Concept, Scene Construction
  • The Writer's Compass: From Story Map to Finished Draft in 7 Stages
  • Hooked: Write Fiction That Grabs Readers at Page One & Never Lets Them Go
  • Scene & Structure (Elements of Fiction Writing)
  • Book in a Month: The Fool-Proof System for Writing a Novel in 30 Days
  • Bullies, Bastards and Bitches: How to Write the Bad Guys of Fiction
  • Characters, Emotion & Viewpoint: Techniques and Exercises for Crafting Dynamic Characters and Effective Viewpoints
  • 90 Days to Your Novel: A Day-By-Day Plan for Outlining & Writing Your Book
  • Rivet Your Readers with Deep Point of View
  • Dialogue: Techniques and exercises for crafting effective dialogue
  • The Emotion Thesaurus: A Writer's Guide to Character Expression
K.M. Weiland lives in make-believe worlds, talks to imaginary friends, and survives primarily on chocolate truffles and espresso.

She is the IPPY, NIEA, and Lyra Award-winning and internationally published author of the acclaimed writing guides Outlining Your Novel, Structuring Your Novel, and Creating Character Arcs, as well as Jane Eyre: The Writer’s Digest Annotated Classic.

Her fiction include
“Most authors would be the first to admit the best of their writing is beyond even them. It comes from someplace outside the conscious realm.” 17 likes
“In preparing for battle, I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensable.” —Dwight D. Eisenhower” 2 likes