Start by marking “The Unexpected Inheritance of Inspector Chopra” as Want to Read:
The Unexpected Inheritance of Inspector Chopra

The Unexpected Inheritance of Inspector Chopra

(Baby Ganesh Agency Investigation #1)

In this Indian-set mystery, Inspector Chopra inherits an elephant and an unsolved murder on his last day at work. A joyful, charming read for fans of Alexander McCall Smith and Rachel Joyce.

Mumbai, murder and a baby elephant combine in a charming, joyful mystery for fans of Alexander McCall Smith and Rachel Joyce.

On the day he retires, Inspector Ashwin Chopra inherits two
Published August 13th 2015 by Hodder & Stoughton

Annet
On the day that he was due to retire, Inspector Ashwin Chopra discovered that he had inherited an elephant...

I enjoyed this book! It's just great fun, interesting, entertaining, heartwarming and quite an unexpected nice read, so...recommended! And who can think of a cute baby elephant playing a key role in the story? The lead character is Ashwin Chopra, a man of integrity with a rigid sense of honesty and fairplay. A man passionate about the social ills that plague his country. Married with Popp
Vishnu Chevli
[Edited - Added Author Interview Link]

Four months back while window-shopping I found an interesting cover of "The Strange Disappearance of a Bollywood Star". It is the latest book by Vaseem Khan in series of A Baby Ganesh Agency. I instantly liked the book and checked more about the author and his work. My efforts led two more books in the same series released earlier. We also got the chance to interview Vaseem on our blog. I got my hands on the first part of the series "The Unexpected Inheritan
carol.
"The next morning Inspector Chopra awoke for the first time in thirty-four years without the knowledge that he was a police officer.

For a while he lay in bed, staring up at the ceiling. He felt his body urging him to get up, shower, and put on his uniform. Inertia; wasn't that what people called it? After all, when one has been running, it takes a while for the body to stop even though the finishing line has been crossed. When he arrived at the breakfast table, dressed in a plain white shirt and
Margitte
Mumbai India

BLURB:
On the day he retires, Inspector Ashwin Chopra inherits two unexpected mysteries.

The first is the case of a drowned boy, whose suspicious death no one seems to want solved. And the second is a baby elephant.

As his search for clues takes him across the teeming city of Mumbai, from its grand high rises to its sprawling slums and deep into its murky underworld, Chopra begins to suspect that there may be a great deal more to both his last case and his new ward than he thought.

And h
Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂
2.5 ✭

Nope, didn't really care for this tale.

The feeling that this wasn't written by a native born Indian (& I was right)

The writing was very heavy handed, clumsy and amateurish. Too much telling, not showing - & done repetitively.

...This last was directed at her son-in-law, against whom she had always held a grudge for not being Jagirdar Mohan Vishwanath Deshmukkk, landowner and erstwhile suitor of her daughter.

We know!!! Halfway through the book & this has already been mentioned
PorshaJo
Review to come!
Martin Belcher
Aug 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2015
There is something uniquely fascinating about India and it's culture, I completely love everything about it, the food, the people the wonderfully intoxicating mix of sounds, warmth, monsoons etc.
I heard about this book from seeing an interview with the author on Breakfast TV and felt hooked and wanted to read it. To be honest crime fiction is not a love of mine and I tend to steer clear of it but with the mix of Indian culture and an elephant I wanted to give it a try.
I absolutely loved it! The
John Naylor
May 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book for free via Goodreads First Reads.

I had no idea what to expect from this book except for it to contain an elephant. What I found was a tale I want to describe as 'sweet' but as it contains deaths and criminal activity I need a better word which is not currently available to me. It has a very interesting main character with a very supportive and intriguing wife who has her own subplot.

The book is primary a detective novel but not like one I have ever read before. Various sup
Eva
Apr 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: england, fiction, crime
Unique book which offers some interesting information about modern India. Besides also having an interesting detective plot. Fun to read, well written. I have read it in English. I must admit that some words are difficult because as a dutch woman i dont have any knowledge about India or any of the Indian words, which are doubtlessly comon knowledge to many Brits.

3,5 stars. Nice read.
Susan Hampson
May 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ashwin Chopra is a little unusual to the normal sort of detectives that I read about. Set in Mumbai there were lots of cultural differences and he has just retired from the police force, rather than just setting out. But the biggest difference was where as some people have a dog as a pet he has a baby elephant. An unusual gift from an uncle and one that at first he didn’t really know what to do with. One thing for sure though was that he is adorable, the elephant that is, but scared and pinning ...more
Babs
Jan 19, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book is very similar to Alexander McCall Smith's series, The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency. There are numerous parallels between the two books, and the main characters are very similar. However, while the McCall Smith books are engaging, well written and good page-turners; Khan's book falls short on a number of levels.

The book starts off promisingly, and the notion of a baby elephant being sent to live in downtown Mumbai is an interesting start. However the book kind of doesn't really go an
Christine
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
On a cold wet day in summer, there is nothing better than a bit of crime from a country where the sun actually makes an appearance. I decided to read The Unexpected Inheritance of Inspector Chopra by Vaseem Khan, after hearing about it recently at the Bradford Literature Festival. It is the start of a quirky series set in Mumbai, India. It features a retired police officer and his pet baby elephant.

The story introduces Inspector Ashwin Chopra. We find out that Chopra is on his final day, before
Fred Shaw
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful story, delightful to read with laugh out loud moments. Incredible creativity. In Mumbai, a police detective retires and comes home to find he is the proud owner of ??? I won't give away this secret because it is too important. Read this book. You will be glad you did. The author Vaseem Kahn has another book and I am procuring it now.
Susan
Jan 03, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fun, and gentle, mystery, set in modern India. Inspector Chopra has been a Mumbai police inspector for many years, when he is forced into retirement because of a heart problem. However, his chance of stress free relaxation is made difficult on his last day of work, when he inherits two things – firstly, a case that his successor is unwilling to investigate, and, secondly, a baby elephant, left to him by his uncle.

The case involves the murder of a young man, found drowned near a sewer
Kate (GirlReading)
Sep 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
A wonderfully written, gently paced detective novel. I loved the way Mumbai and Indian culture was portrayed, since I've not read many books set in India, I really enjoyed the imagery in this book. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the gentle pace of the story, it was such a lovely read. Great characters with a brilliant plot and the added bonus of an adorable baby elephant.
Caroline
Dec 05, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
Charming. Plot is not the strong point, and culprits’ confession at the end is a weak and non-credible finish, but the characters and depiction of life in Mumbai redeem it. I’ll read more. Can’t give it a four star rating, but I enjoyed it a lot.
Sally906
Aug 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: e-book, kobo, mystery-cosy
The story opens on the day Inspector Chopra retires from the police; a day when he realises that his replacement is not going to care about the crimes committed against the poor; and the day he gets a delivery of a depressed baby elephant from his wacky late uncle.

Faced with the prospect of dreary boring retirement he decides to investigate the unexplained death of a local lad written off as suicide by his replacement. His little elephant – now named Ganesha after the elephant god – snaps out o
Dawn Michelle
I L O V E D this book!! OH. MY. GOSH.

What a great trip to Mumbai India this was! I loved learning about Inspector Chopra, his beautiful baby elephant Ganesh and his hilarious wife Poppy!! I cannot even go into details about this book because even one little glimpse will ruin it all for you. Just know that this is a most excellent book, and even BETTER audiobook [I loved every second of this] and you should be reading/listening to this right now. Go on! RUN to your store and buy it now. Go. ;-)

C
Lata
3-3.5 stars. A light start, with a baby elephant delivered to Ashwin Chopra, police officer, on the day of his retirement from the Mumbhai police force. Retirement doesn't sit well with Chopra, and he begins investigating, on his own, the death of a young man, while coping with an apparently despondent elephant. The case takes Chopra around the city, uncovering corruption (not surprising) leading to darker situations. The ending, however, was a return to the lightness of the beginning, with a wa ...more
G.J.
Oct 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I really enjoyed this book, it was amusing, silly and serious in equal amounts.
The excellent descriptions of Indian life in a large city such as Mumbai conjure up all kinds of images which engage all the senses. If anyone has visited India they will understand what I mean.
Who could not love the wonderful Chopra and his wife Poppy ? Not to mention a baby elephant... Wonderful !
Susan in NC
I couldn’t get this book from my library, so listened to the audiobook through Scribd; the narrator was very good, expressive and giving each character their own voice, adding to my enjoyment.

I agree with other reviewers that this seemed more like a cozy mystery in parts, but I enjoyed it; Inspector Chopra is a great character, an admirable, decent, straight arrow, and I look forward to getting to know him and his wife Poppy in future mysteries. They seem to enjoy a loving, warm relationship, an
Cindy Burnett
Aug 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

The Unexpected of Inheritance of Inspector Chopra was such a fun read. Vaseem Khan created an intriguing mystery while also immersing the reader in modern Mumbai culture and attitudes. I thoroughly enjoyed learning so much about Mumbai today including the structure of the city, its personality and the many types of people who live there today.

On the very day he retires, Inspector Ashwin Chopra ends up with two new mysteries to solve. The first is the death of a boy from a poor family i
Kayla P
Jul 08, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to love this book.
I carefully picked it out while I was visiting Powell's "city of books" and really wished I had picked something else.
It starts of promising: a retiring detective in India gets a baby elephant and one last murder case to solve! I was very disappointed with everything after that.
The book went all over the place. The elephant wasn't significant in 80% of the story... it almost feels as though it was added just for the cute cover.
Chopra's character is cliche and unlikabl
Mareli Thalwitzer
Aug 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great airport read. When you are in transit or on various transportation. A baby elephant is always good company. Will definitely read the rest of the series.
Rana
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Whatever the recent upwards curve in publishing Indian detective novels is about, I'm totally here for it. More please.
Tripfiction
Apr 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This review first appeared on our blog, where we also chat to the author about writing and Mumbai: http://www.tripfiction.com/crime-myst...

I can say without fear of contradiction that I am an expert in the tribulations faced by murder investigators in England and Scotland (you’d think they’d be the same but they’re not), Sweden, Norway and Denmark (ditto), the US, Botswana and Italy. You could set me an exam comparing and contrasting ways to establish times of death, types of murder weapons and
John
Nov 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My wife picked up an ARC of this at BookExpo in the spring, and loved it. She told me firmly that I should read it and so finally, after the requisite amount of resentful grumbling, I did. And, when I finished it, I thanked her for her persistence.

Inspector Ashwin Chopra of the Mumbai police retires relatively young at the insistence of his wife Poppy, because he had a minor heart attack a while back. On his last day he reluctantly leaves unfinished the case of a boy who's been found drowned; hi
Karen Mace
Sep 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hardback, bookclub
All i needed to hear about this book was that it featured a baby elephant and I knew I had to read it!! And I havent been disappointed! It has just made a lovely sunny afternoon fly by!

It's a wonderfully simple and charming tale of Inspector Chopra who is retiring on medical grounds from the Mumbai police force that he has loved being part of for so long and the prospect of retirement has left him feeling a little uneasy. On his last day he learns of the death of a young poor boy but he is told
Christine
Jun 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: elephants
(This review is based on an ARC I received at BookCon.)

It has been a long time since I've read a mystery/crime book that really held my attention, but this one did. The only problem with reading an ARC is that since it has not been published yet, I will have to wait longer than most for the series to continue. I found Inspector Chopra (Rtd) to be an agreeable protagonist. I enjoyed seeing his wife develop as her own character, learning the ins and outs of Mumbai, and meeting the colorful (but no
William Dale
Feb 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a clever series - The Baby Ganesh Detective Agency!

This is truly a delightful, fun little murder mystery. Some of my favorite books are written by Indian authors and I am obsessed with India so to stumble on this series makes me happy. To the discover that a baby elephant (I love elephants) plays a big part in the story just made me giddy.

Inspector Chopra is newly retired from the Mumbai police department and has just inherited a baby elephant from his favorite uncle who recently died. Wh
  • The Case of the Deadly Butter Chicken (Vish Puri, #3)
  • A Bali Conspiracy Most Foul (Inspector Singh Investigates #2)
  • A Rising Man (Sam Wyndham, #1)
  • Overkill (Sam Shephard, #1)
  • Unreasonable Doubt (Constable Molly Smith #8)
  • The Woman Who Wouldn't Die (Dr. Siri Paiboun, #9)
  • Murder at the House of Rooster Happiness (Ethical Chiang Mai Detective Agency #1)
  • Wife of the Gods (Darko Dawson #1)
  • Recipes for Love and Murder (Tannie Maria Mystery, #1)
  • Jana Bibi's Excellent Fortunes
  • Jade Dragon Mountain (Li Du Novels #1)
  • The Frangipani Tree Mystery (Crown Colony #1)
  • Green for Danger (Inspector Cockrill #2)
Vaseem Khan is the bestselling author of the Baby Ganesh Detective Agency series, a crime series based in Mumbai, India and featuring a baby elephant. The first book in the series, The Unexpected Inheritance of Inspector Chopra, was a Times bestseller, a Waterstones’ paperback of the year, and an Amazon Best Debut. Vaseem first saw an elephant lumbering down the middle of the road in 1997 when he ...more

Baby Ganesh Agency Investigation (5 books)
  • The Perplexing Theft of the Jewel in the Crown (Baby Ganesh Agency Investigation #2)
  • The Strange Disappearance of a Bollywood Star (Baby Ganesh Agency Investigation #3)
  • Murder at the Grand Raj Palace (Baby Ganesh Agency Investigation, #4)
  • Bad Day at the Vulture Club (Baby Ganesh Agency Investigation, #5)
“The only way to avoid falling prey to the perils of confusion is to never be confused about what you are. If you are an honest man, as I hope you will prove to be, never allow the circumstances of a moment to make you act against your nature. That way lies the ruin of everything you stand for.” 1 likes