Start by marking “Spectacle” as Want to Read:
Spectacle

Spectacle

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  43 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Avatar meets Gladiator in this spellbinding new Young Adult, Science-Fiction novel by bestselling author Susan James Pierce.

Two hundred years after the Great Disaster, the day earthquakes ravaged Earth's landscapes, humanity has finally regrouped and is working toward a better future. But in New America - one of three remaining landmasses - overpopulation makes a better fu
ebook
Published March 10th 2015

To ask other readers questions about Spectacle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spectacle

Cora ☕ Tea Party Princess
Review to come.
Alex
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was not what I expected, I thought it would be too much of a divergent v hunger games feel, But it as good on its own
we start of meeting Mira when she and her friends are 10 years old and enjoying a "normal" life 20 years after the great earthquakes that forever changed the world.
The govt begins to round up those that it deems as different, and quarantines them from the rest of the world. The book jumps 6 years and the story really begins to unfold.
I was grabbed by the end of the fir
Sue
Sep 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi, dystopia
I received a free copy of this book in return for an honest review.

Spectacle starts out when the protagonist, Mira, is only 10 years old. A few chapters into the book, a tragedy unfolds and we are then transported 6 years into the future and Mira is now 16 years old.

The world of the changers, their history, their culture, what happened to them and how they survive now amongst humans, was really well done. All the characters had a lot of depth and I really liked Mira, she was easy to understand h
Kari (BookandCoffeeLover)
I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review (via the Members’ Giveaway on Library Thing.).
I was impressed with the world building in Spectacle as it was very believable. All the characters were well rounded and had depth.
The main issue was that of the romance. It succumbed to a case of insta-love near the end of the book. It didn't work (or make sense) for me - there was no real history of interaction. I felt that this trope really detracted from the overall plot of th
Britney
Sep 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
4.5
Jen La Duca
Wow, I have not read a great dystopian novel in a really, really long time! Spectacle by S.J. Pierce was put on my radar several months ago and I’d been eagerly awaiting its release ever since. I think what intrigued me so much was the unique sounding premises of the story, it seemed to have a lot of Sci-Fi undertones to it and I really loved the idea of mixing these two genres within a Young Adult novel.

It’s been 200 years since the Great Disaster, when earthquakes destroyed the Earth’s landma
Rae Sontheyon
Oct 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Who Is She And What Is She? . . .

This story was definitely a mix of hunger games meets divergent. Based in an alternate reality the author wrote a fictional narrative involving aliens that mirrored contemporary history and dystopian possibilities. Definitely a book that will leave you thinking things over long after you've finished reading.

Two hundred years after the Great Disaster, The world is facing an overpopulation problem and doesn't half enough land after the massive earthquakes that rav
Jasmine
Sep 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Spectacle is, as stated in the synopsis, Hunger Games meets Avatar. I'd even say a little bit of Game of Thrones is added into the mix, as well. In fact, it's very Hunger Games-esque, which I suppose can be both a good thing and a bad thing.
The book centers around a young girl named Mira. She has a pretty normal life, normal friends, and a normal family. Or so she thinks. When she discovers the truth about her father, everything she once knew gets turned upside down, and when a trip to visit the
Kim Dyer
Please note that this review would have been a 3.5 if Goodreads allowed half-stars.

This wasn't a bad novel by any means. It had a really gripping opening that immediately drew me into the world and was very well written. The novel wasn't exactly what I was expecting from the blurb (I was thinking that it would be more of a humans with mutant powers setting than aliens) but I was still pleasantly surprised by the Changers. I loved the way that Pierce detailed their culture - it made them feel sol
Heather Duff
Oct 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
So I really enjoyed Spectacle, it has a dystopian setting and like the tag line above says it does have hints of Avatar (blue, lots of blue!).

Set in a future where the world has been ravaged by earthquakes changing the landscape for the worse, Mira lives with her parents on what is left of the USA.

We first meet her as a young child during a time when her life changes for the worst. The discovery that her family, more specifically her father is not what he seems.

He is far from human, he is of al
Joelle
Sep 18, 2015 rated it liked it
The changers, as they are known, crashed on earth and came to live among humans. They were able to camouflage their blue skin to fit in until one day the color began to come back and they were exposed. Humans become concerned and there are meetings scheduled between the changers and human leaders. Mira’s father is a changer and one of the leaders, her mother is human. All goes wrong when the negotiations are set to take place and the changers are blamed for an attempt on the president’s life thu ...more
Becky Stephens
Oct 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: dystopian, sci-fi
The first two words in the blurb suggests that this plot is similar to that of The Hunger Games; however, I didn't feel like that was the case at all. It was more similar to Gladiator, in my opinion. In a sea of dystopian stories, this one doesn't really stand out.

I felt that the world that Mira lives in as a human was lacking depth. The world of the Changers--when they are shipped away from the humans--was more fleshed out and felt solid and real. I got a better sense of their culture, though i
Melissa
Oct 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An Exciting Dystopian YA Novel
This is an novel written for young adults but as an adult I enjoyed it very much and think that others will too. The author has done a terrific job with novel as a whole, the world she has created is not only very realistic and totally believable, but the way that everything is described, it is also very vivid. The plot was awesome and as a lover of dystopian novels, I read quite a bit of them and this one definitely stands up within the ranks of dystopian fiction.
Jo
Oct 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
When the blurb says "Hunger Games meets Avatar", that is a big claim. One which is not entirely fulfilled. However, there is a lot to like about this book.

I should say that the story was not what I expected. The initial set up is attention grabbing, and the main protagonists captured my imagination. Skip forward, and we are dropped into the reality which the initial events set into motion. And it's here that, for me at least, the narrative deviates from the formula. Mira is not, for the most par
Brandi Nyborg
Aug 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I am an avid dystopian reader, so it takes a lot to wow me at this point. This is by far one of my new favorites. I was immediately drawn into to the stories, and easily became invested in all of the characters. The story moves at quick pace, keeping you on edge wanting more. I hate to admit it but it even made me tear up a few times. If you enjoy the young adult dystopian genre, you need to put this book at the top of your to read list!
Nicole
Oct 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I honestly did not know what to expect of this book when i started it. I'd gotten the book from insta freebie and after finishing a couple of other books i sat down to read it and finished it in one sitting. I loved it!

The characters, the world, the pace with which the story moved forward. I loved it all. And though I'm a big fan of reading series, i actually really love the fact that this book finishes its story on its own.

I would definitely recommend this book!
Sally Hannoush
Aug 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book very much. There were parts where I cried and not too many books are written well enough to make me cry. I liked how it was a complete story without any major cliffhangers so it can be read as a single book or if there are other books. I like the writing style so I will check out more of the author's work. I would recommend this read!
Rachel
Jul 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Well written. Quite engaging but was getting vibes of hunger games.
Jackie
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Interesting book with characters that were well chosen. Depth to the story to make it extremely intriguing. Loved it
Nancy (The Avid Reader)
I received a free copy of the book from the author for my honest opinion.

The earth was destroyed two hundred thousand years ago by earthquakes. They were so many that most of the land ended up in the ocean. Mira and her family lives in one of the three pieces of land that is left called New America. There are a lot of people where she lives and they are running short on food and supplies. There is a lot of sickness going around and a lot of people are dying. People are starting to lose it and th
Vivien
Sep 12, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf, reviewed
DNF @ 78%

When they say this book is The Hunger Games, it is VERY Hunger Games. I didn't like The Hunger Games because I thought the concept was great, but poorly executed in the whole plot/writing department. I also HATE that it is the base/foundation to almost every other dystopian book. This book was the Hunger Games because there was people living in pretty shitty conditions, while there was people parading and bathing in wealth. The author took concepts from the Hunger Games and just changed
EscapeNBooks
Sep 16, 2015 rated it liked it
3.5-4 stars
"Secrets and lies can only stay hidden for so long before the truth breaks its shackles and sets itself free."

Mira lives in New America, one of three remaining continents after the great flood. The beginning of the story gives us the reality of the present America and what happens when you are different. The next part of the story finds us in a different place than where we were previously, seeing some familiar characters and what they do to survive. As we come to the end of the story
Océane Chaduc-Nguyen
Oct 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really liked it. I think it is one of the best YA dystopia I read.
The autor made the story begin with Mira’s child years. As a reader, it’s easier for us to understand and it’s very detailed so it’s a good thing. We have an explanation about this marks which is believable.

The conspiracy is interesting and in a way, show us how some people are easy to manipulate. Moreover, Mira is likeable and looks human. She’s not a badass for everything.

What could I say about the others characters ? We onl
Tabby Shiflett
A YA Sci-fi dystopia that addresses mixed races with excellent world-building and hints of gladiator-era Rome. The novel includes decent character development although I would have liked it to delve more into the history of the other races. For YA dystopia fans!

LT Member Giveaway
S.J. Pierce
Apr 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
My newest novel!!! Visit my website at www.sjpiercebooks.blogspot.com to check it out. xoxo
Karina
Maria Mitchell
Oct 21, 2015
Heidi Embrey
Jun 22, 2015
  • The War Inside (The Horizons Trilogy, #1)
  • Metal and Flesh (Rohvim, #1)
  • Chimera (Universe Eventual, #1)
  • Coherence (Hide, #4)
  • Star Trek/Planet of the Apes: The Primate Directive
  • Everwinter (The Wrath of the Northmen, #1)
  • The Red Rider
  • Of Sea and Stone
  • Bleed
  • Red Madrassa (Algardis, #1)
  • One Scottish Lass
  • Writers of the Future Volume 31
  • The Debt Collector: Wraith. Season 2 (Debt Collector #10-18)
  • Paladin's Odyssey
  • The Way
  • Ice Massacre (Mermaids of Eriana Kwai, #1)
  • How I Fly (How I Fall #2)
  • Assured Destruction (Assured Destruction #1)
Multiple Award Nominated and Bestselling Author Susan James Pierce has a degree in Marketing Management, works for a Fortune 500 company in Atlanta, Georgia, and devotes her precious, spare time to writing Paranormal, Sci-fi, and Romantic Suspense novels.
More about S.J. Pierce

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam, #1)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)