Start by marking “The Graces (The Graces, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Graces (The Graces, #1)

The Graces

(The Graces #1)

3.28  ·  Rating details ·  4,774 Ratings  ·  1,069 Reviews
Everyone said the Graces were witches.

They moved through the corridors like sleek fish, ripples in their wake. Stares followed their backs and their hair.

They had friends, but they were just distractions. They were waiting for someone different.

All I had to do was show them that person was me.

Published September 1st 2016 by Faber & Faber

To ask other readers questions about The Graces, please sign up.
YA Novels of 2016
1,285 books — 9,594 voters
Radio Silence by Alice OsemanBeautiful Broken Things by Sara  BarnardRebel of the Sands by Alwyn HamiltonHow Hard Can Love Be? by Holly BourneThe Island by Olivia Levez
UKYA in 2016
76 books — 139 voters

More lists with this book...

Emily May
Every girl with eyes loved Fenrin. But I was not like those prattling, chattering things with their careful head tosses and thick, cloying lip gloss. Inside, buried down deep where no one could see it, was the core of me, burning endlessly, coal black and coal bright.

Oh sweet Jesus, get over yourself. Did that quote really come from a narrator we're supposed to take seriously? Of all the things I expected from this book, a super emo, extremely slow, Twilight-esque story was not one of them.

I'
karen
i'm just realizing this about myself, but i am a person who tends to round two-star books up into three-star territory. my name is karen, and i'm an uprounder.

part of it is a readers' advisory training that unconsciously steers me towards back-seating (NLGM) my personal reactions, part of it is residual catholic guilt, and part of it is just always wanting to like a book i have chosen to read - to identify at least one thing that made reading it not a waste of my time.

this book is a fast read,
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘

I can see how The Graces could be appealing for some readers (Kirkus, for one). The patient kind, who can get past a ridiculous, unbelievable plot and flat characters for the sake of a twist. I am not that reader. I believe that there's such a thing as too little, too late, too bad. Also, I totally saw it coming.

Honestly, I don't even have it in me to write an organized or ranty review, but I only want to forget the hours I spent reading it. Can I have my time back, please?

I just need a Forget
C.G. Drews
Oct 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Excuse me but I ACCIDENTALLY COMPLETELY FELL IN LOVE WITH THIS BOOK. Okay hear me out: I was a skeptic going in. For reasons that include (A) I'd read a lot of very low-starred reviews, and (B) I mean, that cover, mate. The hardcover is gorgeous but this looks like a box of those seashell soaps. Not a fan. However it came abundantly clear to me, after the first few chapters, that I was doomed to be utterly swallowed by this book. It reminded me of The Cresswell Plot meets Holly Black meets Rocks ...more
Lola
Aug 20, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Real diehard fans of the series Sweep by Cate Tiernan may enjoy this if they overlook the irritant characters. Otherwise, not recommended.
Cait • A Page with a View
May 19, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2016-arcs, paranormal
1.5 stars. It's like Twilight except not as well done? (There's something I never thought I'd say).

River moves to a small coastal town where she learns a family of super hot teens are rumored to be witches. There's a boy everyone is in love with (who has an arrogant & lazy smile and smells "like a thicker, manlier kind of vanilla"), his gorgeous twin sister, and then a younger sister who befriends River. This super-wealthy Grace family has two parents who aren't really parents and blah blah
Laure Eve
May 22, 2015 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Oh hi. I wrote this book. Here's a bit more about it.

Short: there may or may not be witches. There's a girl who lies to you about what she really wants. There's obsession, desire, desperation, glamour, and what I hope is a pretty damn surprising ending.

Long: The Graces explores the endless pull between the Other – fantasy, imagination, belief, of spirits and gods and ghosts - and the colder everyday of the real, the real that we are very afraid is all there is.

As a child, you believe that magic
Ben Alderson
Sep 05, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5 stars!

Interesting read, but not what was pitched.
Wanted more magic!

Really loved the first 20 % and last 20% it was brilliant!

Kiki
Maaaaan, guys. That was

fucked?

This is a book about a sad, strange, loathsome asshole who makes terrible decisions, and it's all so bloody entertaining. I'm not surprised that this book got middling reviews; it's a Marmite thing, probably a very, very acquired taste that not everyone will enjoy. But I loved it.

I would have given it five stars, but there was an unnerving air of internalized misogyny that really bothered me, and was completely unnecessary. River is an asshole, but she didn't need
Fafa's Book Corner
Mini review:

I received this E-ARC via Netgalley and ABRAMS Kids in exchange for an honest review.

DNF

I heard about this book through Twitter. After I read the synopsis I was sold! I love reading about witches! Unfortunately this book was a disappointment.

River was so obsessed with the Graces that it came off as disturbing. She wanted to prove to them that she was the person they were looking for. First of all where did she get this assumption? Yes she's the new girl and the Graces didn't know h
Drew
Aug 02, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The most disappointing thing about The Graces was that it had such huge potential. When I read the summary I was immediately hooked: An entire town worships a rich, secretive family and rumors circulate that they are magical - a family of witches. The plot sounded so cool and I couldn't wait to pick it up.

I was expecting a mysterious look at a closely entwined family, but you know what I got instead? Beautiful Creatures 2.0.

Meet River, our lonely "normal" main character who is obsessed with the
Sue (Hollywood News Source)
The Graces is a Twilight cult classic gone wrong.

This book gives the Twilight vibes. I am not saying that to be condescending, or because I have zero knowledge of YA, but simply, because it is true.

A simplistic girl moves into an elusive town where there’s a popular unreachable clan. They are very selective of who they associate themselves with. Somehow, the new girl finds herself bewitched with the mystery clouding around these people. She’ll do anything to entangle herself with them. The plot
Joanne Harris
bella ϟ  [ bella farren ]
2.5/5

(s)

edit: I just wanted to put a warning out that this isn't really very witchy, the focus isn't heavy spells or magic, it's more about the promise of some characters maybe being witches.

This book is sitting somewhere between two and three stars, and I can't come to settle on a single rating. It was a book that I floated through without ever feeling particularly entranced or interested in the characters of the plot line, a clinical kind of interest was the most I could muster up. It wasn’t
Mizuki
May 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Rating: 3.5 stars. I notice this book receives bad rating and a lot of negative reviews (to be fair, these reviewers had brought up fair and reasonable points to back their displease up) but when I finished reading this book, I still thought it does have some good points and the story has maintained itself as a melodramatic fun read so it deserves 3.5 stars from me.

What's what in the story: meets The Graces: the most wealthy, mysterious family in town. The picture-perfect Grace couple has three
Martha
I know this sounds ridiculous, but the only way I can describe the effect this book had on me is to say that, when I finished it, I felt high -- like I had been slightly thrown off my axis, and was a little bit disconnected from the world. The Graces requires patience, yes, but the payoff really is that good.

The story and the relationships depicted therein build slowly and in fits and starts, in a way that feels true to what is being portrayed and made me think of nothing so much as Megan Abbot
Giselle (Book Nerd Canada)
This is when I get into trouble..By requesting to read a book solely because of the beautiful cover. And this one had it. It caught my eye and I immediately requested it. I'm sad to report that I didn't enjoy this one. It had the potential to be a good novel, but it just fell flat for me. One, not a whole lot happens. There's literally no plot. I had trouble getting through it because I was bored, but I kept pushing because the writing sucks you in. But that's it. Because the characters, the sto ...more
Stacee

I love love love witches, so I was super excited to get this gorgeous thing in my hands.

River is an interesting character. She's wants to win the attention of the Graces so much, that she's willing to do anything and change herself for it. Her inner monologue was a little drab here and there, but for the most part I was interested in her journey.

The most dynamic scenes are when River and all 3 of the Graces are together. Those sections shone so brightly, it made the rest of the book se
Patty
** 2.5 / 3 stars **
Seriously...
 photo 10261481_zpsqtevjfc9.gif

Full review to come.
Piera
Oct 09, 2016 rated it liked it
I wanted to like this so badly but it fell very flat for me.
Maddie
Oct 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: ukya
I have a lot to say about this one, so look out for a video review going up soon on Heart Full Of Books!

Briefly though, I found the main character, River, quite dislikable and hard to understand, I felt the Graces themselves remained an enigma for the whole book and overall, I'm still confused about whether magic really exists or not in this world.

Marcus (Jonathan Byers in another life) is the most interesting character, so he gets a star on his own.
The sexual tension gets -1 star because it wa
Ashley Brooks
I contemplated powering through and hate-reading this but at just 5% I can't bring myself to do it.

This has "bad Twilight knock off" (I made it to the Bella River staring longingly at the Cullens Graces lunch table scene and lost all will to go on.) written all over it, and I just don't have time for that.

Thank you Netgalley for providing me a copy for....review.
Warda
Aug 27, 2016 rated it liked it
“What did she believe in? What made her happy?”

BLURB: “Like everyone else in her town, River is obsessed with the Graces, attracted by their glamour and apparent ability to weave magic. But are they really what they seem? And are they more dangerous than they let on?”

Whilst reading, I was pretty sure I was not going to continue on with this series. Thankfully though, halfway through the book the story and plot actually picked up and I found myself really wanting to read it.

The first half of t
Gillian
Nov 08, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Technically 3 and 1/2 stars. It's been a while since I read a book about witches. Unfortunately, I felt it hit most of the major tropes instead of exploring something new. Also, I disliked River. A lot. But I liked the Graces, especially Summer. I'll probably read the sequel but my hopes aren't high.
Femke
Dec 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
Dat was eigenlijk best wel tof. Recensie volgt!
Mel
Aug 12, 2017 marked it as not-for-me  ·  review of another edition
I almost bought this recently but because of the price I decided to just check it out at the library and oh boy am I glad I did. I only managed to get through 14 pages before this book nearly killed me. I've never said this before, but the writing was atrocious. I've never read anything so terrible. It was cheesy, horribly cliche, and honestly nausea inducing. By the end of page 14 I felt like I needed a shower.

"I forced myself to look straight into his eyes. "I can stop pretending when I'm alo
Bee (Heart Full of Books)
Oct 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: ukya
Actual rating: 2.5 stars.

Honestly, I'm not sure what to make of The Graces. It was...odd and not quite what I was expecting. I wanted witchy x10 but the whole magic system was very obscure and I'm still not entirely sure if the characters /have/ magic to just /pretend/ to.

I liked the unreliable narrator though (in terms of the device, not actually River herself) - the only problem was: I was 100% aware that she was unreliable! I questioned everything she said because she seemed to always be co
Taylor Knight
Oct 21, 2016 rated it it was ok
I bought this book based 100% on the cover and I regret paying full price for this book.
Right away this book reminded me of Twilight. Which, to some people, won't be a big deal. But I hate Twilight so that was a deal breaker. I couldn't stop comparing The Graces to Twilight and it killed me. I wanted to look past that but the plot was so similar. New kid discovers strange siblings in school that are more than they seem. New kid befriends said strange siblings. Boring plot ensues.
I didn't like t
Veronique
You follow the story of River (later called that way in the book) who meets the Graces family. And they are quite weird.. after a period of weird crazy "fun" stuff shit is about to go down. And all crazy things happen.

For me this book wasn't so good, I saw the plots comming miles before the plot actually came and also the characters in the book were not quite special. Only that the Graces were a bit strange..

In the last chapters it all turns around so quickly and I literally thought what the fu
Claire (bookscoffeeandrepeat)
Full review in my book blog
**Huge thanks to the publisher and author for letting me read this book for free in exchange for an honest book review**

It feels like The Craft meets We Were Liars !
While this book had good writing, the pacing is extremely slow.

First we have The Graces. Everyone wants to be them. They treat people like crap, but when you're in their inner circle, they make you feel valued. But here's the thing, there's a rumor spreading around their small town that they're not n
  • Labyrinth Lost (Brooklyn Brujas, #1)
  • Fate of Flames (Effigies, #1)
  • The Forgetting (The Forgetting, #1)
  • The Romantics
  • Iron Cast
  • The Continent (The Continent, #1)
  • As I Descended
  • Lifel1k3 (Lifelike, #1)
  • Saving Hamlet
  • Vassa in the Night
  • The Diabolic (The Diabolic, #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • A Shadow Bright and Burning (Kingdom on Fire, #1)
  • Spare and Found Parts
  • Spindle (A Thousand Nights, #2)
  • Seven Days of You
  • Kingdom of Ash and Briars (The Nissera Chronicles, #1)
  • Shimmer and Burn (Shimmer and Burn, #1)
A French-British hybrid who grew up in Cornwall, a place saturated with myth and fantasy. Being a child of two cultures taught her everything she needed to know about trying to fit in at the same time as trying to stand out.

She speaks English and French, and can hold a vague conversation, usually about food, in Greek.

A random selection of favourite things: Terry Pratchett quotes, characters with

The Graces (2 books)
  • The Curses (The Graces, #2)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fortune's Rising (Outer Bounds #1)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Beginning of the End (Apocalypse Z, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
  • Renegade: The Lost Books, Book 3
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
  • Making History
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • Let the Right One In: A Novel
  • Come Out Tonight
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1)
  • Fawkes
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Soul of the Fire (Sword of Truth #5)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
  • The Witch's Vacuum Cleaner and Other Stories
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Rift Uprising (The Rift Uprising Trilogy #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
  • A Game of Thrones: The Graphic Novel: Volume One
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Temple of the Winds (Sword of Truth Book 4)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • The Witch's Daughter (The Witch's Daughter, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Winter King: A Novel of Arthur (Warlord Chronicles)
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Riot (Peter Grant, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Venom in the Veins (Elemental Assassin, #17)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • I, Robot
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth, #1)
    $8.99 $2.49
  • Running with the Demon (Word & Void #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Infomocracy (The Centenal Cycle, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Atopia Chronicles (Atopia, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stone of Tears (Sword of Truth Book 2)
    $9.99 $2.49
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Broken Pride (Bravelands, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Quicksilver (The Baroque Cycle, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweep in Peace (Innkeeper Chronicles, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Player of Games (Culture, #2)
  • Immortal: Love Stories with Bite
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Book of the Unnamed Midwife (The Road to Nowhere, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Witch's Reign (Desert Cursed, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Into the Fire  (The Thin Veil #2)
  • The Sudden Appearance of Hope
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Path of the Storm (Evermen Saga, #3)
  • Rite of Passage
  • Flowertown
    $3.99 $0.99
“I ate and read my book, this particular kind of fantasy novel that I secretly loved. It was my favorite thing to do– eat and read. The world just shut up for a while.” 3 likes
“Everyone said they were witches.
I desperately wanted to believe it.”
2 likes