Start by marking “Good Me, Bad Me” as Want to Read:
Good Me, Bad Me

Good Me, Bad Me

3.90  ·  Rating details ·  25,646 ratings  ·  3,534 reviews
Good Me Bad Me is dark, compelling, voice-driven psychological suspense by debut author Ali Land.

How far does the apple really fall from the tree?

Milly's mother is a serial killer. Though Milly loves her mother, the only way to make her stop is to turn her in to the police. Milly is given a fresh start: a new identity, a home with an affluent foster family, and a spot at
Published January 12th 2017 by Michael Joseph

To ask other readers questions about Good Me, Bad Me, please sign up.
Anjela Jones Confused feelings about the ending, I had a feeling it was going to happen but I was really rooting for her. Not sure if I'm more glad that my…moreConfused feelings about the ending, I had a feeling it was going to happen but I was really rooting for her. Not sure if I'm more glad that my suspicions were right or disappointed she let me down. Excellent Book!(less)

·  25,646 ratings  ·  3,534 reviews

Start your review of Good Me, Bad Me
Deanna
Jan 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing

My reviews can also be seen at: https://deesradreadsandreviews.wordpr...

Extraordinary. Controversial. Explosive.

Those were the words that I first heard used to describe this debut novel by Ali Land. Many were saying that this book was going to be one of the more controversial novels released in 2017.

I knew I just had to read it. I wanted to know if what they said was true.

It was!

First of all I LOVED the cover of this book. Gold and black with gold raised lettering....Gorgeous!

I was pulled in
Julie
Good Me, Bad Me by Ali Land is a 2017 Penguin Books publication.

Disturbing- Completely shocking!

It takes a lot to well and truly wreak havoc with my psyche, to really give me a case of the shivers, and leave me feeling unsettled.

This book took me down that path, and I won’t forget it anytime soon.

The story is told through the eyes of fifteen- year old Milly, who has just turned her own mother, a serial killer, over to the authorities.

Summarily, Milly is placed in foster care, in what appears
Kaceey
An intensely creepy novel about a young teenage girl Milly, who was unfortunate enough to grow up with a sadistic mother. Now in foster care, she is doing her best to fit in and enjoy what family life is supposed to be like....normal. If indeed there truly is such a thing.

Told from Milly’s POV the dialogue is mainly in her head. Short, one-two word sentences. At times it’s difficult to follow and more than a little distracting.

I am going to be in the minority on this one. This book just didn’t
Paromjit
Dec 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a chilling debut novel that does not flinch in the picture it paints of the traumatic consequences of a monstrous childhood for fifteen year old Millie. Millie used to be the abused daughter, Annie, of a serial killer mother whose victims were children. We never meet the mother although her presence is writ large throughout. It was Annie that reported her to the police after she felt her mother had gone too far and needed to be stopped. Annie becomes Millie, and is fostered into the care ...more
Maureen
Aug 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
*Thank you to Netgalley & Penguin UK Michael Joseph for my ARC in exchange for a fair and honest review*

Annie's mother is a serial killer - that in itself is shocking enough, but what multiplies the horror of these murders is that the victims were all young children.

Annie too, has suffered terribly at the hands of her mother, but at the age of fifteen, she decides to inform the police of her mother's crimes. The fact is, she was unable to help any of the children, and the last murder was
Meredith
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Good Me, Bad Me is one f*cked up character study of the daughter of a serial killer.

15 year old Annie, daughter of the notorious “Peter Pan” serial killer is struggling with the darkness inside her. For the majority of her childhood, she witnessed her mother kidnap and murder children. Annie was forced to participate in her mother’s sick and twisted games. She also was subjected to years of physical, mental, and sexual abuse.

When finally turns her mother into the police, Annie is given the
Susanne  Strong
Dec 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
3.5 Stars.* (rounded up)

Creepy to the Max.

Milly is not just your ordinary foster girl. She wants to be of course, but it’s just not possible you see - her mother is a killer. And not just any killer, she is the Peter Pan Serial Killer. And Milly turned her in. Now Milly is going to have to testify against her own mother in order to put her away for good.

All Milly wanted was to fit in somewhere but soon she realizes that foster care isn’t all that it’s cracked up to be. The idyllic hopes she had
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
This is predicted to be one of the big books of 2017 which it very well may be. I tend to take these predictions now and publicity hype with a pinch of salt as really it can't be predicted. I do think regardless it will be a popular book and a great one for book clubs due to the great discussion that could be generated!

This is the story of a young woman, her mother is a serial killer and as a child she was witness to things no child should ever be subjected to. She is a scarred woman, you don't
Norma * Traveling Sister ~ Semi-hiatus for now until I fully get my reading/reviewing hat on! 😂 I’m almost there! 💕
5 Spectacular Stars for the audiobook version! The narrator, Imogen Church was absolutely brilliant! The story itself - 4 stars!

Traveling Sisters Read with Brenda, Norma, Lindsay & Kaceey

Good Me, Bad Me by Ali Land is a disturbing, chilling, and a suspenseful psychological thriller novel with an intriguing and unsettling storyline that is a slightly different take on the life of a serial killer because she is a female.

Norma was listening to this one and while we were discussing this book it
Diane S ☔
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 From the beginning I felt a great deal of sympathy for Milly. This young teen, who had so much to forget, had already been through so much, witnessed something beyond terrible, who now just wanted to be normal, and in a home where people cared about her in a healthy way. A therapist household sounds ideal but there was more going on here, making this a less than healthy environment for a troubled young girl.

After a spate of so called psychological thrillers that I found mundane or the same
Kendall
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
4.5 disturbing stars!

What an impressive debut by Ali Land. So, I have to confess my first draw to this book was
NEW NAME. NEW FAMILY. SHINY. NEW. ME.
Of course this perked my interest because my social work/therapist side is peeking it's head out. I definitely thought I had this story played out BUT boy was I wrong. That will teach me ;)

Ok.. but seriously this book was epic.

The book opens with our main character Annie. She is the daughter of a famous serial killer whom happens to be her
Lindsay - Traveling Sister
3.5 stars.

This was a suspenseful, unsettling and creepy story revolving around the daughter of a serial killer. I was glad I had Norma, Brenda and Kaceey to read along with me as I was a little hesitant when starting this uncomfortable and alarming story.

This book ended up being very different than what I expected. The creepy and disturbing parts of this story are handled extremely well and are done in a way that didn't give too much detail (which I was very thankful for).

The way the story
j e w e l s
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-bejeweled
The very first sentence of the blurb reads: "Milly's mother is a serial killer." WHAAAT? That's not a phrase you read every day! I knew right then I wanted to read this debut novel by Ali Land. This book does not disappoint! Start reading on a Saturday afternoon and you might as well cancel any plans you had for going out, 'cause you ain't going' nowhere!

A psychological study, this book is more of a brain-teaser than a chilling cliff-hanger type story. And I'm okay with that. I love to climb
Crumb
Oct 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Dark. Chilling. Atmospheric. WOW. This book.. it sunk its claws into me and didn't let go..not even when the book was over. I feel that this book will stay with me for a while and that I will have a book hangover from this. This is a book that generated a lot of hype and because of that I was a little hesitant going into it. I was hoping it would live up to all of its "pizzazz" if you will, and it did!

In the beginning we meet Milly, who used to be called Annie. We also find out that her mother
Dem
Feb 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Dem by: Deanna
A Gripping psychological thriller, dark, shocking but utterly compelling.

New Name. New Family. Shiny New Me

Annie's mother is a Serial Killer, The only way Annie can make it strop is to hand her into the police.But out of sight is not out of mind. The secrets of her past wont let her sleep even with a new family and a new Name Milly

I was a little nervous starting this one as I was afraid that the author would be too graphic about the murders and I really didn't want to go down that road but
Gary
Jul 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
I had previously read good reviews for this book from Goodread friends so when I was offered the opportunity to read it I felt I couldn't refuse.
This is the debut novel by Ali Land that is due to be released in January 2017 and I am sure that it will be one of the books of the year. This excellent psychological thriller will be a big success and I know we will hear a lot more from this author.
The story is based around Annie who has changed her name to Milly and is now living a new life with a
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs
All the thrilling stars to Good Me, Bad Me! My favorite psychological thriller of 2017 (so far)!

Not a single page was boring. Tension built throughout. The clever storyline was completely original. Perfectly written (I loved the how dialogue was done). Milly, the daughter of a serial killer, was a masterfully drawn, complex character. Land's writing takes you right inside Milly's innermost thoughts, almost reading like a journal.

I keep holding myself back in writing this review because I don't
Mackey
Good Me, Bad Me is the debut novel by Ali Land which has found a following of admirers here on Goodreads. However, I am not one of them. Let me explain why.

I will say that Land is a good writer. The book was written clearly, the characters' personalities were well defined albeit stereotypical.

My concern with the book was multi-layered. First, I couldn't find anyone to like. I literally despised all of the characters in the book, including the so-called victim who wasn't just a victim but was
Carol
Oct 29, 2017 added it
Shelves: debut, fiction
I received the ARC of Good Me Bad Me from Flatiron Books and Author, Ali Land for an honest review.

Though I finished this book before its publication on September 5, 2017, I just couldn’t decide how to sum up it up without spoilers while relating my enjoyment of this book.

Billed as a psychological suspense novel, it is that. A slow burn, one that may reveal its outcome before books end but one that is still darn good. Why is it darn good if you know what is happening? The ability of Ali Land in
Jules
Unfortunately, I feel completely confused by my experience of this book, as my experience seems to have been somewhat different from most other reviewers. It is described as:

SET TO BE ONE OF THE MOST EXTRAORDINARY, CONTROVERSIAL AND EXPLOSIVE DEBUTS OF 2017 - for fans of quality psychological suspense and reading group fiction: once you read this book you'll want to talk about it.

Well, I definitely want to talk about it, but perhaps not for the right reasons. Okay, so I will allow ‘controversial
Pauline
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Good Me Bad Me was an excellent thriller that I found hard to put down. I liked the character Milly even though it was sometimes difficult to know if she was telling the truth. I felt a lot of sympathy for her not only with her upbringing but also with the school bullies and the fact that she felt that she was so alone. I will definitely be looking out for more books from Ali Land. I would like to thank NetGalley and Penguin UK - Michael Joseph for my e-copy in exchange for an honest review.
Miriam Smith
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kept-book, signed
I've had a copy of "Good Me, Bad Me" for quite a while now and I haven't got around to reading it. However, I recently took it on holiday and was over the moon that it was such an enjoyable and entertaining read. Debut author Ali Land has a fantastic way of writing, with her short, clipped and concise sentences - this only goes to prove less is more!
I found the storyline - although a distressing one as a whole - totally captivating and I was hooked from the very first page until the brilliant
Debbie
Apr 21, 2018 rated it liked it

So where are all the heebie-jeebies?

It’s a thriller, so bring ‘em on! The creepier the story the better. Make me shake and shiver!

Sorry to say that for me, this story gave off only minor heebie jeebs—no shrieks or goosebumps here. True, my heebie-jeebie meter might be on the fritz; most people thought the book was plenty creepy. Whatever the reason, I didn’t shudder.

Not many teenagers have a mom who’s a serial killer. Milly does. She’s 15, and she has just turned her evil mother over to the
sue
OMG what a read this was. I am gasping for air right now.

To be treated very badly by a parent is unbelievable, to be with a mother who treats other kids not only bad but torments them, torments then and kills them and a 15 your old daughter being aware of this is outstandingly shocking.

When Annie informs the police of this at the tender age of only 15 you can gasp and feel her emotions.

The last victim was the one that broke the camels back for Annie, she was very close to the victim, the author
Tom Lewis
May 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book gets a big “holy crap!” The story’s told from the POV of Milly, the abused fifteen year old daughter of a serial killer mom. Mom’s arrested after Milly tips off the cops, and in the run up to mom’s trial, Milly’s placed into foster care with Mike (Milly’s shrink), Mike’s weirdo wife, and their nightmare daughter, Phoebe.

Milly wants to be loved, and find a home, but there’s a maze of obstacles in her way – Phoebe gets the mean girls at school to bully her; she hears mom’s voice in her
Peter
Jan 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Pedigree
Annie is a damaged 15-year-old. She is the daughter of a child serial killer and she helped the police catch her. The court case is now looming, and she must give evidence against her mother. The story is very well developed to provide a tense atmosphere with that edge of suspicion and apprehension that Annie was either more involved or will repeat what her nature may preordain. How alike is Annie to her Mother, does the apple fall far from the tree? Is she GOOD or BAD?

Annie is now
Kathryn
Sep 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Mostly I’m coming to terms with the things I’ve done. I did them to be good, I promise, even though they were bad.

Nature vs. Nurture…..or something in between. That’s the heart of Ali Land’s debut novel, Good Me, Bad Me. Are we doomed to repeat the sins of our parents? Can we start anew? Or is their legacy burned so deeply into our DNA that altering our fate becomes impossible?

Good Me, Bad Me is one those strange books where the beginning and end are kinda meh, but the middle is fantastic. The
Rebecca Carter
Good me Bad me is about a young girl called Annie, who has to change her name to Milly once she's put into foster care, after she's told the police that her mother is a serial killer. She has experienced some unimaginable horrors herself, and while she's preparing for the trial against her mother, the author delves deep into Annie's psyche and inner dialogue, which can drastically alter from the ordinary everyday thoughts to the shocking.

The narrative is all told in the first person meaning we
Jasmine from How Useful It Is
About: Good Me Bad Me is a thriller written by Ali Land. It was recently published on 9/5/2017 by Flatiron Books, an imprint of Macmillan Publishing, paperback, 304 pages. The genres are mystery thriller, fiction, psychological, and crime. This is the author’s debut novel.

My Experience: I started reading Good Me Bad Me on 9/16/17 and finished it on 9/22/17. This book is a fantastic read! Not everyday I get to read from the point of view of the serial killer’s daughter! This thriller gives
Emma
Nov 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Every time I think i'm done with psychological thrillers, I pick another one that pushes the boundaries and isn't afraid to take you to some properly dark places.

I liked this girl, Milly, from start to finish. The Good bits and the Bad. She has a singular voice; calmly introspective about the abuse she suffered and chillingly practical about her darker side.

My only 'want' now that i'm done is to see and hear more. I'd love a follow up. Or perhaps to delve into her mother's mind. It read so real

• Sometimes I Lie
  • The Turn of the Key
  • The Silent Patient
  • The Betrayals
  • Before She Knew Him
  • The Child (Kate Waters, #2)
  • Lock Every Door
After graduating from university with a degree in Mental Health, Ali Land spent a decade working as a Child and Adolescent Mental Health Nurse in both hospitals and schools in the UK and Australia. Ali is now a full-time writer and lives in West London.

Follow Ali on Twitter @byAliLand
“More disturbing than hurt is love when it's wrong.” 23 likes
“The brain of a psychopath is different from most, I've weighed up my chances. Eighty per cent genetics, twenty per cent environment. Me. One hundred per cent fucked.” 17 likes