Start by marking “Leadership from the Inside Out: Becoming a Leader for Life” as Want to Read:
Leadership from the Inside Out: Becoming a Leader for Life

Leadership from the Inside Out: Becoming a Leader for Life

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  318 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Takes on a whole-person approach to leadership that is multidimensional and interdisciplinary.
Published August 25th 1999 by Executive Excellence Publishing (first published September 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Leadership from the Inside Out, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Leadership from the Inside Out

James
Dec 31, 2011 rated it it was ok
I often bemoan the vapidity of leadership literature which treats 'leadership' as a silver bullet which cures whatever ails any organization. Nevertheless the genre of business leadership has two sorts of books which have some important things to say:

1. Books which address managerial systems, administration, systemic approaches
2. leadership as personal development.

This book is very much the second sort of book, which is a sort of Self-help for the Corporate soul approach. Cashman proposes that t
Mark Wilkerson
Apr 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Leadership from the Inside Out is a book I was expected to read for a Graduate-level class on Educational Leadership. After the first few pages, I was turned off by the "meta-talk;" I am naturally weary of self-help gurus who name drop celebrities who they have helped to transform the lives of, and I was quick to dismiss Cashman as "one of those people."

However, a few chapters in, about the point where Cashman speaks of "leading authentically," I knew that there was something in this book origi
Tom Jenckes
Feb 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: academic
I searched for a book to use in my Business leadership class at Argosy University. This book met my every need. The dean was very impressed with my find. The students in my class were really turned on by this book. I recommend it highly!
Mark Manderson
Very basic info but still grabbed some nuggets.
Takeaways:
There is only one true failure in life and that's not believing in oneself.
If you are irritated with every rub then how will your mirror get polished. - Rumi
Rand Hall
Mar 25, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Oh, dear. What a load of navel-gazing New Age hooey.
Ce
Sep 23, 2016 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Textbook for Lee Ann's Emmanuel OB class
Hans
Sep 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leadership
I'm so used to Leadership books and their cosmetic approach that this one caught me off guard. Instead of the typical worn-out American mantra of "7 steps to Awesome", this author actually contends that Leadership is a by-product of a healthy inner world. Where one's individual relationship with their own internal demons matters more than all the "Power Habits" one develops. He argues that true leaders source of strength and influence comes from their integration of all aspects of themselves. We ...more
Janice
Feb 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This isn't a quick read, but it's a valuable read. This is one of those leadership manuals/workbooks that would be really great to do in a small group or with a mentor to guide you along the way and to talk about all the parts. I didn't do the lists, writing everything down, but read for concepts/ideas. I did however, copy (shhhh) some of the pages as I would like to write through them, ponder them, and discuss with friends as I learn and grow. This book is a definite must read for those either ...more
JoAnn
Aug 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Every time I leaf through this book I find more gems. Great for taking stock of oneself and deciding on new avenues for personal and professional growth. Cashman presents seven “pathways” that offer leadership development for individuals. They include Personal Mastery, Purpose Mastery, Change Mastery, Interpersonal Mastery, Being Mastery, Balance Mastery and Action Mastery.

Rather than relying on “action-able checklists” and to-do’s, Cashman believes that only by knowing ourselves through honest
Arun Mahendrakar
I'm not sure if this book is only for the CEO's and other top-level management people. This book is for anyone how is looking at leadership skills at any level. Also, pretty much anyone who wants to develop his personality should read this book.

I have now started to look at my 'shadow beliefs' to improve myself.

"Try not to become a man of success. Try to become a man of value." - from the book.
  • Presence: An Exploration of Profound Change in People, Organizations, and Society
  • Leading in a Culture of Change
  • Turning to One Another: Simple Conversations to Restore Hope to the Future
  • Leading with Questions: How Leaders Find the Right Solutions by Knowing What to Ask
  • Deep Change: Discovering the Leader Within
  • The Leader's Companion: Insights on Leadership Through the Ages
  • Transformational Leadership
  • Theory U: Leading from the Future as it Emerges
  • Encouraging the Heart: A Leader's Guide to Rewarding and Recognizing Others
  • Centering in Pottery, Poetry, and the Person
  • Leadership Can Be Taught: A Bold Approach for a Complex World
  • Learning to Lead: A Workbook on Becoming a Leader
  • Immunity to Change: How to Overcome It and Unlock Potential in Yourself and Your Organization
  • Energy Leadership: Transforming Your Workplace and Your Life from the Core
  • The Art of Focused Conversation: 100 Ways to Access Group Wisdom in the Workplace
  • Resonant Leadership: Renewing Yourself and Connecting with Others Through Mindfulness, Hope and Compassion
  • Leadership Without Easy Answers
  • The Call of Service
“SEVEN CHANGE MASTERY SHIFTS • Change Mastery Shift 1: From Problem Focus to Opportunity Focus. Effective leaders tend to perceive and to innovate on the opportunities inherent in change. • Change Mastery Shift 2: From Short-Term Focus to Long-Term Focus. Effective leaders don’t lose sight of their long-term vision in the midst of change. • Change Mastery Shift 3: From Circumstance Focus to Purpose Focus. Effective leaders maintain a clear sense of purpose, value, and meaning to rise above immediate circumstances. • Change Mastery Shift 4: From Control Focus to Agility Focus. Effective leaders understand that control is a management principle that yields a certain degree of results. However, agility, flexibility, and innovation are leadership principles that sustain results over the long haul. • Change Mastery Shift 5: From Self-Focus to Service. Effective leaders buffer their teams and organizations from the stress of change by managing, neutralizing, and/or transcending their own stress. • Change Mastery Shift 6: From Expertise Focus to Listening Focus. Effective leaders stay open and practice authentic listening to stay connected with others and to consider multiple, innovative solutions. • Change Mastery Shift 7: From Doubt Focus to Trust Focus. Effective leaders are more secure in themselves; they possess a sense that they can handle whatever may come their way; their self-awareness and self-trust are bigger than the circumstances of change.” 0 likes