Start by marking “Nowhere Girl (Cate Austin, #4)” as Want to Read:
Nowhere Girl (Cate Austin, #4)

Nowhere Girl

(Cate Austin #4)

A psychological crime novel from an author with 10 years experience as a probation officer in high security prisons

When Ellie goes missing on the first day of Schueberfouer, the police are dismissive, keen not to attract negative attention on one of Luxembourg’s most important events, its annual city fair. Probation officer Cate Austin has moved for a fresh start, along w
Published October 31st 2015 by Legend Press

To ask other readers questions about Nowhere Girl, please sign up.
Gary That's a difficult question to answer because it is a subjective one. I don't believe it's scary but it does deal with child trafficking, so if you're…moreThat's a difficult question to answer because it is a subjective one. I don't believe it's scary but it does deal with child trafficking, so if you're sensitive to that subject you might find it a bit scary. I hope that's of some help.(less)

Deanna
Aug 05, 2015 rated it liked it
****Possibly some minor spoilers*****

If you haven't read Humber boy B and are planning to read it, you may want to hold off on reading this review. I don't feel I've given any important parts of the plot away. Mostly just some of my observations about the book and Cate and Olivier's relationship.

I seem to have landed somewhere in the middle on this one. At first I just couldn't get into it. It took me quite a while but something about the story kept me reading.

I first met Cate Austin in Humber
Sue
A fun day at the amusement park turned out to be a nightmare for seventeen year old Ellie and her family.

“Nowhere Girl” by British author Ruth Dugdall, with extensive experience as a probation officer in the security prisons, is a psychological thriller that will grip you right from the beginning. After I read “Humber Boy B”, I was so impressed with this novel that I went and downloaded most of her other novels to read. Then I saw her latest novel “Nowhere Girl” was available on NetGalley, and I
Christine
Jul 27, 2015 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Christine by: Sue and Kimberley 5
I would like to thank Net Galley, Legend Press and Ruth Dugdall for granting me the privilege of reading an ARC of this novel in exchange for an honest review.

I had so looked forward to reading Nowhere Girl after seeing all the 5-star ratings flowing in from early readers. But alas, it wasn’t meant to be for me. I am afraid the highest rating I can give Nowhere Girl book is 2 stars.

Unfortunately, I had a mountain of issues with this book. I think the biggest thing for me was the sheer unbelievab
Jan
Oct 02, 2015 rated it liked it
If you loved this author's past work like Humber Boy B, and Nowhere Girl is on your TBR list, you might want to stop reading here!!!

I am definitely in the minority about my feelings for this book, but I started reading it with very high expectations. I had fallen in love with this author along with the main protagonist Cate, after having read Rugdall's first in this series 'Humber Boy B'. The book starts out where HBB left off, Cate and her daughter Amelia moving to Luxembourg to live w
Gary
Oct 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I had previously read a book by this author titled 'Humber Boy B' which was recommended to me on Goodreads which I loved so it was an easy decision to read this novel.
A psychological crime novel that gets better the more you read and by the end it becomes impossible to put it down. You know sometimes you start a book and straight away you know you are going to enjoy it, well that's how I felt about this one. A well thought out plot that is perfectly paced and strong well formed characters that c
sue

I saw that one of my book buddies was reading this the same time as myself, so we agreed to read it together.

Ruth Dugdall only came to my attention after reading Humber boy B which just blew me away. So when her PA asked me if I would like a proof copy of her coming new book Nowhere Girl, I jumped at the chance. I saw it was on Net Galley too and was sent a widget. So I decided to read it on my trusty Kindle.

This starts with a trip to the fairground. Not just any fairground, its the Schueberfou
Elaine
Oct 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is the follow up to Humber Boy B and we meet Cate Austin again a few months further down the line. Cate and daughter Amelia have moved to Luxembourg with new man Olivier, and Cate is on something of a career break. When local girl Ellie goes missing at a local fair, Cate cannot help getting involved – Ellie’s sister is a friend of Amelia and they were amongst the last people to have seen Ellie before she went missing.

The story is told from several viewpoints and we soon realise that there i
Christine
Aug 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is the fourth outing for probation officer, Cate Austin. I have previously read The Woman Before Me and Humber Boy B and am a huge fan of Ruth Dugdall’s work. I consider Humber Boy B to be one of my favourite reads of the 2015. It was a bold step taking Cate away from her job in the probation service and the UK. It opens up all kinds of possibilities for Cate.

This story follows on from Humber Boy B. Cate has been traumatised by her recent probation cases. She is burnt out. She has taken a y
Fictionophile
My latest reading experience took me to a country I knew little about – Luxembourg. It is true that armchair travel is very rewarding! In this novel the reader gets to see the darker side of a beautiful European city.

“Nowhere Girl” is the story of a missing teenage girl. The reader gets to experience the story from all points of view: the girl’s, her parent’s, the police…

Ellie Scheen - like most other teenage girls - is having difficulty getting along with her mother. Friction ensues over Ellie’
Stefanie
Rating 2.5 Stars

Where to begin with this review? Well, for starters I was pretty excited when Netgalley offered me the opportunity to read Ruth Dugdall's Nowhere Girl, her follow-up to Humber Boy B, which I thoroughly enjoyed. I even partnered with two of my closest goodreads friends and pushed this book to the top of the To Read pile (no easy feat there) The only word I have to describe how I am feeling now is...disappointed.

There are a lot of 5 star reviews out there for this one, so I am most
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
3 1/2 stars

I have to admit that after reading and absolutely loving Humber Boy B, I was expecting more from Nowhere Girl than what I got.

Ruth Dugdall's imagery remains excellent...I felt the atmosphere of the fair, smelt the smells....but I felt none of the tension and anticipation while reading Nowhere Girl that I should have. Don't get me wrong, it is not a bad book, it is still a good read. It is just that I felt somewhat let down after Humber Boy B, which remains one of my top reads this yea
Janet
Nov 04, 2015 rated it it was ok
My rating is 2.5 stars

After reading Humber Boy B and loving it, I was happy to have been offered a copy of Nowhere Girl.

Unfortunately for me it didn't live up to the thrilling read of HBB. Basically Cate Austin, a probation officer from the previous book has now moved to Luxembourg to live with her new partner, Olivier. She has given up her job, home, everything she knows back in the UK to make this new and happy start.

We meet Ellie, a young teenager who goes missing from a local fair when she's
Bookread2day
Aug 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Review by www.ireadnovels.wordpress.com

With a shocking twist. In the chilling psychological thriller Nowhere Girl seventeen year old Ellie goes missing.

Ellie head hurt, even opening her eyes made her wince. She must have drunk a lot, because her limbs felt heavy and she didn't know where she was. This had happened before, waking with black holes in her memory. Last time she had been with her boyfriend Joe, she passed out in his bedroom after too much vodka.

In the dark room where Ellie had woke
Cats of Ulthar March of Shoggoths
Review: NOWHERE GIRL by Ruth Dugdall

When I read Ruth Dugdall's HUMBER BOY B, its depth and complexity amazed me. In NOWHERE GIRL, the author brings that to a new setting, Luxembourg, almost at Europe's geographic center. Known for its low crime rate, the city nonetheless has its perils, including nearness to human trafficking routes. Former English probation officer Cate Austin has relocated with her daughter Amelia, to live with police detective Olivier Massard. Whenthe seventeen-year-old siste
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
I am a big fan of Ruth after reading all the books in the Cate Austin series, I think they are fresh and new books. I had read Humber Boy B earlier this year and thought it would be a hard stretch to top that book which blew me away. Nowhere Girl was really enjoyable with a good plot and held my interest but just missed out on that fifth star that I had given to Humber Boy B.

The plot in this book was really quite shocking and tackles the issues of human and sex trafficking which is now one of
☮Karen
Oct 15, 2015 rated it it was ok
I didn't know this was part of a series or I probably wouldn't have requested it.   Other readers have said the last book was better, and that wouldn't surprise me, because this one was lacking.  Lacking a provocative writing style, lacking character development, and lacking in suspense.  The main character Cate was very hard to figure out;  and the relationship with her boyfriend, who lacked any type of personality at all,  didn't make sense.  Whatever they saw in each other was a mystery to me ...more
Cleo Bannister
I have followed Ruth Dugdall since her first book featuring Cate Austin, The Woman Before Me, which really impressed me, as have The Sacrificial Man and Humber Boy B. One of the things I most admire about this series is that the author presents very different types of story, whilst keeping the chief protagonist as the link. Nowhere Girl is no different, this time Cate is in Luxembourg, no longer a Probation Officer, but that doesn’t stop her getting caught up in a crime.

Bridget has relented and
Oct 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
What I love about this authors books, is that even though they all have the same main character, Cate Austin, all her books can easily be read as a stand alone. Saying that though once you've read one of Ruth Dugdall's books you will be left wanting to read them all!

Cate has moved to pastures new in Nowhere Girl and I have to say I think it was the perfect place to set the story. Cate is trying to run away from certain parts of her past and she is hoping her new life with Olivier will bring her
Lynn Mccarthy
Oct 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book starts at the fairground a trip with her mother and sister.Ellie wanted to go with her boyfriend Joe but her mother said no and had taken Ellie's phone away from her because of what she had done before.
That nigh Ellie goes missing but she has done this before when staying over at her boyfriends Joe's house so they at first thought it was something like that but time ticks on and Ellie doesn't return.

We meet Cate who lives with her boyfriend Oliver who is a Detective assigned to the cas
Anne
Aug 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Nowhere Girl features ex Probation Officer Cate Austin as lead character, and follows on from the earlier novels. However, although this could be classed as a series, Nowhere Girl is also perfect as a completely stand alone novel. The author expertly allows the reader enough glimpses into Cate's past within the story, allowing full enjoyment and understanding of her character.

Cate has quit her demanding and often overwhelming job as Probation Officer in the UK. She's worked on some pretty heavy
Sue McQuaide Kitt
Oct 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
As Ruth Dugdell is a new author to me I decided to start from her first book The Woman Before Me, and have read all four books in about ten days and am now a huge fan.
In this book it starts off where Humber Boy B ended, when Cate Austin started a new relationship with French policeman boyfriend Olivier Massard and moves to Luxembourg with her daughter Amelia to start a new life. Having taken time off as a probation officer in the UK, Cate is finding it difficult to adjust to life as a housewife
Barbara Rohde
Oct 10, 2015 rated it did not like it
Admittedly I was reading a proof copy of this book but it felt like reading a first draft. Basically it's the story of a missing 17 year old girl Ellie told from multiple viewpoints. The only positive I could find was that you did want to find out what happens despite all the other significant problems with this book. The characters are thin and under-developed and their behaviour is just not credible. The writing itself feels rushed with multiple repetitions of certain phrases as well as tellin ...more
Claire
Jul 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, 2016-book
I've been reading Ruth Dugdall's books since The Woman Before Me was released in 2010. I love Cate Austin as a character and the cases she's got involved in as a probation officer have been unusual to say the least.

I expected, with Cate's move to Luxembourg, the story style would change, no probationers to look after but I hoped it wouldn't detract from my enjoyment. I wasn't disappointed; Cate's involved in the case of a missing teenager from the off as said teenager is the sister of one of Cat
Katy Noyes
May 13, 2015 rated it liked it

I haven't read Humber Boy B by this author, but knew almost immediately that this 'followed on' in the sense of it continuing the story of a main character from that novel. I may return to the first book at some point, as this book doesn't give away the plot of the first, but gives enough detail to make it an appealing read.

A frightening start to the book - 17-year-old Ellie, not on good terms with her mother Bridget, is kidnapped from a Luxembourg fairground. Bridget and husband Achim
Judy Collins
A special thank you to Legend Press and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review. .

Catching up with some long overdue reviews.

British author Ruth Dugdall delivers an intriguing and disturbing psychological thriller, NOWHERE GIRL (Cate Austin #4), where dark secrets are uncovered and some things are not as they seem.

It is Schueberfouer, August 2015. What could be more exciting than the annual fair in Luxembourg? An amusement park always offers fun, excitement, and sometimes mystery
Clare O'Beara
May 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: europe-crime
I'm at a slight disadvantage here because I have not read the previous books about the main character. Like many readers I chose to read this crime story because of the setting. The city of Luxembourg in the small nation of Luxembourg seems wealthy and ex-pats go to work in the banking sector or other well-paid jobs, including Cate's new police detective partner. She goes along, with her daughter who is at school. Cate has left a job in the British probation service and finds it hard to settle. ...more
Jill's Book Cafe
Oct 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Having read and enjoyed Humber Boy B I was looking forward to reading this as it also features Cate Austin, the probation officer in that book. In Nowhere Girl, she has resigned her position in the UK and gone to live in Luxembourg with detective Olivier Massard who she'd met while working on the Humber Boy B case.

The plot in this book revolves around the disappearance of 16 year old Ellie at the Schueberfouer fair. Massard is the investigating officer, but it would seem that the police refuse
Stephanie
Oct 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
When I read Humber Boy B earlier this year I found it very difficult to read. Not due to the style of writing or characters, just because of the storyline.
I found this follow up novel Nowhere Girl to be much better. Cate has moved with her young daughter to live with her partner Olivier in Luxembourg. When a teenage girl goes missing at a large fair the police don't take it seriously much to Cate's disgust. Olivier is one of the police officers looking into the disappearance and he refuses to di
Joanne Robertson
Jul 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I absolutely love the Cate Austin series of books by Ruth Dugdall. The years Ruth spent as a probation officer have given her a credible and in-depth knowledge that translates well to the plots of her books. They can all be read as standalone novels but I have enjoyed reading them in the order they were written so was over the moon to get my hands on an early review copy via netgalley.
Cate is now living in Luxembourg with her daughter Amelia and new boyfriend Olivier. The disappearance of a fell
Nyonie
Oct 07, 2015 rated it really liked it

Your child had been kidnapped! in a foreign country, and to top that, the police won’t take it seriously— a parent’s worst nightmare!

Set in Luxembourg and told from the point of view of four different women, this was indeed a learning experience. I was engaged right from the beginning as there were several hints that there’s more to the kidnapping that what seems to be. This book gave me a glimpse of human trafficking in Europe. Cate, however, is a weak main character and not very convi
  • Beams Falling
  • Worlds Torn Asunder: a Holocaust Survivor's Memoir of Hope
  • Time to Die (Detective Jennifer Knight, #2)
  • July Crisis: The World's Descent into War, Summer 1914
  • Through the Cracks
  • Whatever Remains
  • Already Dead
  • The Lies Within (DI Will Jackman #3)
  • Running From Giants: The Holocaust Through the Eyes of a Child
  • Last to Die
  • The Camp
  • The Vault (DI Eleanor Raven, #2)
  • Clockwork Menagerie (Shadows of Asphodel, #2.5)
  • The Red Hot Fix (Justice Series, #2)
  • Stalin's Gold (DCI Frank Merlin, #2)
  • Lost in Solo (A Perfect Match #2)
  • The Bone Church
  • The Good Mother
Ruth Dugdall was born in 1971. She holds a BA honours degree in English Literature (Warwick University) and an MA in Social Work (University of East Anglia). She qualified as a probation officer in 1996 and has worked in prison with offenders guilty of serious crimes, including stalking, rape and murder. This has informed her crime writing. Since she started writing, Ruth has won awards in several ...more

Cate Austin (4 books)
  • The Woman Before Me (Cate Austin, #1)
  • The Sacrificial Man (Cate Austin, #2)
  • Humber Boy B (Cate Austin, #3)