Start by marking “City of the Lost (Rockton, #1)” as Want to Read:
City of the Lost (Rockton, #1)

City of the Lost

(Rockton #1)

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  11,100 ratings  ·  1,547 reviews
Casey Duncan is a homicide detective with a secret: when she was in college, she killed a man. She was never caught, but he was the grandson of a mobster and she knows that someday this crime will catch up to her. Casey's best friend, Diana, is on the run from a violent, abusive ex-husband. When Diana's husband finds her, and Casey herself is attacked shortly after, Casey ...more
Published January 14th 2016 by Sphere (first published January 2nd 2016)

To ask other readers questions about City of the Lost, please sign up.

·  11,100 ratings  ·  1,547 reviews

Start your review of City of the Lost (Rockton, #1)
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

No matter how great our love for Kelley Armstrong, here at Rabid Reads, CITY OF THE LOST, superficially isn't a book we'd ordinarily review.

It's not speculative fiction; it's a mystery/thriller sans any supernatural elements.

BUT.

I think a case can be made for it also being . . . HORROR.

It's like that random episode of SUPERNATURAL where creepy mountain people are kidnapping athletic men in their late teens to early twenties, playing their own toothless version of THE
Berit☀️✨
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, audiobooks, 2017
4.25 entertaining stars! .25

This is my very firstKelley Armstrong Book and I am definitely impressed! Her writing style was so smooth and flowed so well, just made this book even more of a pleasure to read....

Casey Duncan is a female detective flawed and all... but I have to say I found her a little more personable than the typical female detective.... Casey has made some pretty major mistakes in her past, so along with her BFF Diana she goes off the grid....

Their destination is Rockton.... A
Kaceey
Nov 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5*

Well, that was certainly different!

Have you ever considered picking up your entire life and just leaving? Starting fresh where no one knows you? A chance to reinvent yourself? Well, in that case, the small town of Rockton is just what you’re looking for. Where people who feel the need to escape from their former life, apply for acceptance into this close knit community in the territories of Northern Canada.
Everyone in this town is running away from something or someone.
Only now it may not
Julie
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
City of the Lost by Kelley Armstrong is a 2016 Minotaur publication.

A taut, gritty, and imaginative thriller!!

This novel is a very different kind of thriller. I didn’t know what to expect when I started this book, but I found it to be a nice change of pace. For starters, the setting, which is an off the grid area of Northern Canada, a place most would probably consider uninhabitable, contributes a great deal to the story, setting the tone for a tense, super twisty, novel of suspense.

The setup
Diane S ☔
May 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.5 A new author for me, her previous novels seemed to feature vampires, which I do not care for. The description of this one, however, enticed. A town cut off from everything, where people go who need to escape threats in their life, abuse from spouses or other forms of violence. Of course things are not as simple as they seem or sound, some in this town are not who they appear and people are going missing, found murdered.

Casey a police detective, is a flawed character as most of them seem to
Susanne  Strong
3.5 Stars* (rounded up)

Casey is a homicide detective and when she was in college something bad happened to her. She was attacked and she exacted revenge. She has been waiting for retribution ever since. It finally arrived.

Her best friend Diana married a horribly abusive man, yet she loves him desperately. Thankfully she has always had Casey to protect and take care of her. Together, they have always taken off and started anew, thus when Diana is found and beaten by Graham within an inch of her
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
3.5 a bit outlandish stars to City of the Lost 1/2

Some quick thoughts:

What I loved: the author’s smooth writing, the entertainment factor, and the setting (I’d love to go off the grid for a (short) while and live in the beautiful Yukon!).

What wasn’t quite as good: the romance was, to borrow a Susanne’s term, schmoopy and some of the happenings were too gory and on the outlandish side...

Overall, this was a good escape read during the holidays, and I’m grateful that I read it!

This was a fun
Holly  B

3.5

Want a ticket into the town of Rockton, an off-the grid secret town?

You will need to qualify to gain access and if granted you will need to cut off all ties of your former life and start over! Its in Canada and it is remote and primitive-no cell phones, internet, electricity, mail and few modern comforts.

Casey Duncan is a detective who has skills she can offer the town that has just had its first murder. She is able to negotiate a contract to get herself and her good friend, Diana into
Jilly
This book was nothing like I thought it would be and I loved it. Will you love it? If you like mysteries with just a hint of romance, you might.

The sexy times were fade-to-black, so the only growling and mewing you will get is from the wildlife that is surrounding this town. And, hell-to-the-no on me ever wanting to visit a place like this, let alone live there. It's more dangerous than Australia!

Out on a horse ride, the sheriff is telling our heroine that they used to keep dogs and cats until
Maureen Carden
Jan 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Holly B, Brenda, Rita Schuldt,L.G.
There have always been stories of cities lost to the mists of time and history, Camelot, El Dorado, Z and others. Did they ever exist? Maybe. But if you are a certain type person, a criminal, a victim, a killer with money you might have heard of another town that offers sanctuary. Not a glamorous town by any means, the living is harder than you can imagine, but Rockton does exist. If you meet the stringent requirements of need and/or money you might get in.

A homicide detective, Casey Duncan and
Mogsy (MMOGC)
5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2016/06/15/...

Wow, you’ll have to excuse me, but I think I’m having myself another one of those “Why have I waited so long to read this author?” moments. Yes, believe it or not, it actually took me this long to finally try Kelley Armstrong (despite the fact others have been telling me about her awesomeness for years). I also find it a little ironic that even though I’m more of a speculative fiction reader, it wasn’t any of her fantasy
Mackey
Apr 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Casey Duncan is a homicide detective who has killed a man unrelated to her job. Her best friend is a toxic person always in trouble with her job, her ex, etc.....together they decide to runaway to a town that hides people in northern Canada. While that sounds implausible, it truly never was. However, it did trip over into shades of The Village by M. Night Shyamalan which was creepy at times. Apparently those are the types of books Kelley Armstrong normally writes and this series is something new ...more
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘
Wow, I *almost* bought this book before remembering that technically, I dnfed it at 50% when I read the serial. I needed to do something about my lack of memories, or I'd have ended buying this without intending to.

#Won't Bother Now
#Girl Fight Nightmare

My review of part 1 :
My review of part 2 :
My review of part 3 :

For more of my reviews, please visit:
Brenda
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Brenda by: Karin Frederick
I liked this book and will continue with the series, but there is an oddness that is affecting my rating of this first book.

The “before Rockton” part of the book showed main character Casey Duncan as a tough damaged badass cop. She had sought treatment from five psychiatrists. She had an unhealthy friendship with a battered woman named Diana with whom she had moved to another city. She moves again with this friend to Rockton, an isolated primitive village in the middle of nowhere whose residents
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life.

I am shocked by how much I ended up liking this book. The story grabbed me immediately and I never lost interest. This was one of those books where just as soon as I thought I knew where the story was going, something would happen and I would realize that I was completely wrong. This really was the kind of book that can really hard to put down.

This is the first book in the Casey Duncan series and after reading the first two books in the
Nikki
Feb 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars rounded up

I enjoy reading Kelley Armstrong’s Cainsville series (currently on book 3), so I was excited to start another (and different) series by Armstrong. I will note that perhaps my rating for City of the Lost was influenced by the other books I have read by the author, as I enjoyed them a bit more than City of the Lost. That’s not to say this book isn’t good—it is, and it’s worth checking out if you enjoy detective novels.

Welcome to Rockton—an off-the-grid, dysfunctional town,
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
I was interested in reading the book from the first time I saw it. A town for people that needs to get away. A secret town in the middle of nowhere. It sounded bloody fantastic. But, sometimes my expectations are too high, and when it came to this book did I expect a more mysterious and darker story.

Now, I don't say that the City of the Lost is a bad book, it started off interestingly with Casey and her friend Diana needing to get away, especially Diana after she once again had problems with
Marialyce
Dec 21, 2017 rated it liked it

Did you ever want to run away from everything and be in someplace where no one knows you and you do not know others? Do you think that "“A simple journey creates a peaceful life?"

For Casey Duncan and her friend, Diana, who are both looking to escape from some dangerous and tough issues in their lives, the ability to flee to a type of commune located in the midst of the freezing nowhere offers such promise, an escape from the reality of abuse and murder these two women had in their
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Nov 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dtb-book
I've been a fan of Armstrong's since first reading her YA series way back when and as my tastes have changed and grown and I finally branched out to her adult books, that love has never faltered.

She is a fantastic writer, one that keeps you at the edge of your seat completely entertained and completely enthralled. When I saw a new thriller mystery from her set in an usual setting with characters ever bit as unique, I knew it was something that I needed to try.

I got every single thing from this
Emma
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars rounded up. The premise for this story sounds unlikely but Kelley Armstrong made it work of course. I’m definitely set to enjoy the rest of the series.
Veronica
First things first, if you know Kelley Armstrong from her very successful Women of the Otherworld urban fantasy series, be advised that there are absolutely no supernatural or paranormal aspects to this story. What does carry over from that genre to this one is Armstrong's ability to take an interesting premise and build an equally interesting story around it.

Casey Duncan is a 30 year old homicide detective who has more or less been going through the motions of a life ever since a tragic event
Juli
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Casey Duncan is running from her past. Years ago she killed a man and she knows his relatives are mixed up in organized crime. Someday they will be coming for her. Casey's best friend, Diana, isn't fairing much better. She is in a relationship with a violent man and just can't seem to escape from him. When Diana gets beat up once again, the two women decide to disappear. There is a town, Rockton, where people can pay to disappear. No phones. No internet. No outside contact. People have to apply ...more
Erin *Help I’m Reading and I Can’t Get Up*
DNF in the second chapter.

I found myself disbelieving every single sentence in chapter 1. The fact that therapists always show looks of surprise at her confession- no, they are literally trained not to show surprise. That the therapist made wild guesses at her story instead of allowing her to tell it- no, that's just not how therapy works. This and more- all in the first pages. So yeah, I was already unhappy moving into chapter 2.

Chapter 2 then introduces a flashback in which the (as yet
Fiona
I'm reading this for the third, possibly fourth time, and only now writing a review, because this series is thoroughly under my skin.

Casey Duncan is a detective with a dark and violent past. But despite that past threatening to catch up with her, it's only when her best friend Diana is brutally beaten by a violent ex that Casey agrees to investigate the possibility of a town rumoured to offer sanctuary to those who need it. And luckily, they're in need of a good detective...

That's our
Yodamom
May 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
4.5Kelley Armstrong writes books that I enjoy reading. She wraps her stories around characters, very interesting deeply layer characters. Her other books are paranormal character reads, this one is suspense/thriller, I wasn't sure if it would fit with me. I am an unreal monster fan. Silly me, I was so glued to this book I skipped out on work and feeding the family. Cereal is a healthy food right, three times a day ? Okay I wasn't that bad but close.
So what do I tell you a bout this book ? The
Tim
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
This story is not as memorable as it could have been. It gets lost around personal relationships while neglecting its main focus. 4 of 10 stars
Katie
January 2018

Oh yeah, I read it again.

August, 2017 audiobook re-read

See below. :)

January, 2017 re-read

This has become a real comfort read for me.

October 31, 2016

Bumping this up to a full five stars. I've gone back to this book a lot.

Original Review

So this book has a weird beginning. Weird enough that I'm glad I took so long to read the book because it gave me enough time to get used to what the story was instead of what the beginning implied it would be.

I'm not sure if I'm explaining
Selena (The Bookwyrm)
Apr 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 starts just because it was way too slooooowww in the middle.
Jody McGrath
Oct 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Casey Duncan murdered a man. Yes, she is a cop, but it wasn't in the line of duty. Now the man she killed's grandfather, who is "connected" might be after her. Casey's friend Diane has been abused by her husband repeatedly. Now he is stalking her, but because he is a high powered lawyer, the police do nothing. When Diane hers about a town, a safe haven for people like them, people trying to escape their pasts she convinces Casey to come with her. Casey reluctantly agrees, for Diane's sake.

Once
Amanda McGill
Jun 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
City of the Lost is a really interesting story. There is a remote town in the Yukon (yay a Canadian setting!) where people go if there want to disappear. Most of the people who want to disappear are criminals. Enter Casey who is a criminal, even though she was never caught, and a detective. Her friend, Diana, needs to disappear, and Casey is allow to come with her, as long as she works for the local sheriff to solve a string of murders.

I liked parts of the novel, but overall I found it too

• Storm Cursed (Mercy Thompson, #11)
  • Wild Country (The World of the Others, #2; The Others, #7)
  • Sapphire Flames (Hidden Legacy, #4)
  • Undone
  • Hearts of Fire (Deadglass, #0.5)
  • Diamond Fire (Hidden Legacy, #3.5)
  • Kill the Queen (Crown of Shards, #1)
  • Sweep of the Blade (Innkeeper Chronicles, #4)
  • Under Currents
  • The Last Widow (Will Trent, #9)
  • Protect the Prince (Crown of Shards, #2)
  • An Easy Death (Gunnie Rose, #1)
  • Lake Silence (The World of the Others, #1; The Others, #6)
  • Witch’s Bounty (Demon Assassins, #1)
  • Vendetta in Death (In Death, #49)
  • Shamed (Kate Burkholder, #11)
  • Race to Judgment
  • Bitter Falls (Stillhouse Lake #4)

Today, she continues to spin tales of ghosts and demons and werewolves, while safely locked

Rockton (5 books)
  • A Darkness Absolute (Rockton, #2)
  • This Fallen Prey (Rockton, #3)
  • Watcher in the Woods (Rockton, #4)
  • Alone in the Wild (Rockton, #5)
“Comfort and reassurance and a wordless understanding that there is always darkness. In some part of us, there is absolute darkness, as much as we wish otherwise. As much as we pretend otherwise. Anders shifts” 3 likes
“Absolutely alone in the dark. Every outside stimulus vanishes and there’s nothing except me in the darkness and the silence. I swear I can hear my thoughts. All my thoughts. And it’s horribly uncomfortable, and I want to switch on the light and say something and shove that aside. But the feeling passes in a few panicked heartbeats, and then … and then it’s indescribable. This is what I’ve been looking for in all those therapy sessions. Not a chance to tell someone my story. A chance to be alone with it. Utterly alone with it, and maybe that makes no sense, but it’s what I feel. Just me and that one defining moment in my past. Grief and rage and pain and guilt and clarity. Yes, clarity.” 2 likes