Start by marking “Here Comes Valentine Cat” as Want to Read:
Here Comes Valentine Cat

Here Comes Valentine Cat

(Here Comes Cat #3)

Cat does NOT like Valentine's Day. It's much too mushy, and no way is he making anyone a valentine—especially not his new neighbor, Dog. Dog refuses to respect the fence. He keeps tossing over old bones and hitting Cat in the head! But just as Cat’s about to send Dog an angry "valentine" telling him exactly what he can do with his bones, Dog throws a ball over the fence. ...more
Published December 22nd 2015 by Dial Books

Start your review of Here Comes Valentine Cat
Sheri
Apr 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Entertaining story that shows Valentine's Day doesn't have to just be about the mushy stuff. I love Cat's humor and facial expressions!
Kate
Dec 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lovely drawings and a story about a sassy cat on Valentine’s Day
Kathryn
I really loved Here Comes Valentine Cat. The voice is just pitch-perfect. Cat is so charming and full of personality; he's prickly yet I just wanna give him a big hug! The message is so good, too, keep an open mind when it comes to new people (ahem, dogs) and friendships. I think it illustrates being generous in our thoughts; that we shouldn't prejudge, and that we should look at something from the other's perspective. (view spoiler) ...more
Suzanne Moore
Jan 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a sweet book about an expressive cat who learns not to prejudge motives of the dog next door. The illustrator did an excellent job of following conversation between the cat and a unseen character. Whenever it was the cat's turn to reply he either used a quickly written sign, or his answer was interpreted by body language, actions, and facial suggestions. I love this cat! A very entertaining book.
Hapzydeco
Feb 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The mischievous and sarcastic cat of Deborah Underwood’s “Cat” series is back with his signboard responses to the narrator’s queries. Underwood’s moral will resonate with all from preschooler to adult.
Becky
Oct 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
First sentence: Hey, Cat! Any Valentine's Day plans? This is a No-Valentines Zone? Why don't you like Valentine's Day, Cat? Valentine's Day doesn't have to be all mushy. Why don't you make a valentine for a friend?

Premise/plot: Here Comes Valentine Cat is one in a series of books starring Cat. In this one, Cat meets a new neighbor--a Dog. Will Dog prove to be a friend or foe? What kind of valentine should Cat make for Dog? A nice one? A mean one?

My thoughts: I love, love, love this series by
Alisha
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Cute read for my son's reading time.
Melissa Neufer
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is absolutely ADORABLE! Simple yet has a great plot about friendship. I also like the lesson it teaches of getting to know people before your judge them. What might be annoying to you might be an act of kindness to someone else.
Ishta Mercurio
Jul 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The interplay between the cheeky and inimitable Cat and the invisible narrator is brilliant. A delightful book.
Dolly
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This book was selected as one of the books for the February 2018 - Kindness and Generosity discussion at the Picture-Book Club in the Children's Books Group here at Goodreads.
Feb 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Another humorous installment in this charming series about a very opinionated cat.
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
Underwood and Rueda have done it again! Here Comes Valentine Cat, is another memorable story staring our favorite cat. With adorable illustrations, and a story that has plenty of humor and heart, Cat continues to prove why fans of all ages love his stories. Not a fan of Valentine's Day, Cat learns there is more to the day than being mushy. Before Cat can get back at the pesky dog that lives next door for continually throwing his bones and ball over the fence at him, he just might realize that ...more
Beverly
Feb 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pbf-holiday, pbf-cats
Elizabeth
Feb 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a delight! Cat has been having trouble with his neighbor and Valentine's Day isn't making cat feel any better. But through a conversation with us (the readers) cat manages to see things in a new way and strike up a friendship into the bargain. Fun, silly, clever!
Samantha
Jan 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Cat isn't into Valentine's Day and the thought of welcoming the new neighbor dog is even more off-putting, but when Cat decodes Dog's annoying behaviors a happy ending and a Happy Valentine's Day go hand in hand.

Ink and color pencil artwork. Good read aloud for PreK-2.
Benji Martin
Jan 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Cat is up to his usual antics, and like always, it's hilarious.
Aliza Werner
I loved the voice, humor, and message about friendship in this book. The narrative conversational voice will draw kids in to predict, infer, and giggle along to cat's antics.
Jillian Heise
I love this series! Always fun stories, told in an engaging way that leaves the reader laughing. Plus Cat always learns a good lesson by the end.
Danielle
Dec 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Actual, physical awwwwws were had!
Robin Rockman
Jan 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
Love! I'm going to give this a go with my preschoolers.
Meg McGregor
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: holiday-reads
The further adventures of Cat, who happens to be one of my favorite cats in literature!

Cat loves naps, eating, naps, talking in sign, naps, being a grumble-bumble, naps, trying out new things, and naps! Guess which he likes most?

In this adventure, Cat is being inundated with bones and a ball from the pesky Dog next door! It is Valentines Day and the only thing Cat doesn't like more than Valentines Day, is a pesky Dog!

At first he doesn't want to; by the end of the day he realizes that Dog has
Viviane Elbee
This is another fun book with Cat - a perfect read for Valentine's Day.
Cat doesn't really want to give anyone a Valentine's Day card, but the narrator tries to convince her she give one to her new neighbor dog.

Although there are a lot of pages, there isn't much text, so it's a relatively fast read.

The illustrations are great and appropriate for younger children (toddlers - elementary school).

I liked that it wasn't overly mushy and that it focused on kindness instead of on romantic love.

Kids
Little Heirloom Books
I love a good book where the narrator and the characters in the book interact. It feels like you as the reader are part of the story. Cat has never given a Valentine to anyone before and isn’t a fan of the holiday. Too mushy! Plus, who would he give a Valentine to anyway? You will discover the neighbor next door is a dog, and wants some attention. Cats and dogs notoriously do not get along. What will cat decide? Will there be a change of heart?
Linda Millard
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
I am a total cat person. Team cat all the way! Not really loving the dog interaction. Drawings were a bit simplistic and, to my mind, lacking in color saturation. I will check out the other "Here Comes ... Cat" books, perhaps as part of a seasonal reading thing. This seems to be a good book for its intended audience.
Lara
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Awww! Cat makes a friend!!
This series is such a good one for adorableness and a silly lead character and yet teaches good lessons. Cat has learned to help Santa and the Easter Bunny and now to be friends with the (gasp!) DOG next door!
As always a great one-on-one read. Be sure to give it a try!
Kara
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Valentine's Day mushy stuff makes Cat grumpy. So does his new canine neighbor, who keeps howling and tossing bones over the fence. When he realizes there's more to those bones and howls than a peevish pet, Cat realizes there might be one Valentine worth making after all.
A warm and humorous picture book that reminds readers to look past assumptions and extend a paw of friendship.
Karren
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I love these "Here comes... Cat" books! The illustrations are really cute and Cat is a great character for any child (of any age!) who hasn't felt enthused about this warm & fuzzy holiday. It also has a good message of not jumping to conclusions—always a good idea!
John
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I like this book because in this one he says "Roses are red/Violets are blue/who's the worst neighbor?/I think it's you" and "Violets are blue/Roses are red/Stop throwing garbage/On top of my head." (That's his next poem.)
Cheryl
Feb 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
I wonder how many children reading this predict Dog's true intentions. Obvious to me, and probably to most adults, but probably a delightful surprise to most of the members of the target audience. My favorite of the Cat series. Thank you, Children's Books group, for choosing this.
Shiloah
We read this book for the kindness-Valentine’s theme. It was an excellent story. Well done. This book was an excellent example for teaching children a powerful lesson of kindness without it being generic or cheesy.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Over and Under the Pond
  • Winter Is Here
  • When Spring Comes
  • Tiny T. Rex and the Impossible Hug
  • I'm a Frog! (Elephant and Piggie, #20)
  • Llama Destroys the World