Start by marking “Midnight Taxi Tango (Bone Street Rumba, #2)” as Want to Read:
Midnight Taxi Tango (Bone Street Rumba, #2)

Midnight Taxi Tango

(Bone Street Rumba #2)

The author of Half-Resurrection Blues returns in a new Bone Street Rumba Novel—a knife-edge, noir-shaded urban fantasy of crime after death.

The streets of New York are hungry tonight...

Carlos Delacruz straddles the line between the living and the not-so alive. As an agent for the Council of the Dead, he eliminates New York’s ghostlier problems. This time it’s a string o
Mass Market Paperback, 319 pages
Published January 5th 2016 by Roc

To ask other readers questions about Midnight Taxi Tango, please sign up.
Adrienne Midnight Taxi Tango can stand on its own without having read Half-Resurrection Blues, but the first book does add depth to Carlos' story line in this…moreMidnight Taxi Tango can stand on its own without having read Half-Resurrection Blues, but the first book does add depth to Carlos' story line in this one. A lot of the things touched on in the second book that have happened to Carlos occurred in the prior novel, but I think this one does an adequate job of giving enough context that one would understand what's going on. It helps that this one does not center solely around Carlos either, like the first did.(less)

Rick Riordan
Jan 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Adult urban fantasy. Older's first Bone Street Rumba novel was very good. Midnight Taxi Tango kicks things up to the next level. It would have been easy and perfectly reasonable for Older to stay with his wisecracking, hard-boiled, half-dead hero Carlos Delacruz as the sole first-person narrator. Instead, Midnight Taxi Tango is told from three alternating perspectives: Carlos; his young friend Kia who works at Baba Eddie's Botanica; and Reza, an emotionally scarred and dangerous lady warrior who ...more
TheBookSmugglers
May 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was most EXCELLENT , i WANT SEVERAL MORE BOOKS PLEASE AND THANK YOU
Mogsy (MMOGC)
3 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum http://bibliosanctum.com/2016/01/07/b...

Midnight Taxi Tango is the second book of the vividly imaginative Bone Street Rumba series. I can honestly say I’ve never encountered an urban fantasy quite like this, and I said as much in my review of the first book last year, which I enjoyed immensely! I knew as soon as I was finished reading Half-Resurrection Blues that I wanted to continue this cool and unique series.

But I won’t beat around the bush; while I had a goo
Carly
Jan 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"The streets is hungry."
It's official: Daniel José Older is now on my authors-to-watch list. I first encountered Older through his YA book, Shadowshaper. While Shadowshaper is a rich, vibrant story, Bone Street Rumba is right down my alley. I love urban fantasy, underpowered protagonists, and political skirmishes in the magical world. Add to that a set of complex, interesting characters, a gritty plot, and some seriously creepy roach dudes, and I was sold. TL;DR: Half-Resurrection Blues (Bone St
K.J. Charles
The world of Bone Street Rumba gets more complicated, gnarly, and gross. There's some serious gore and ick in this one, not unrelated to the villains who are basically people being used as hosts for cockroaches oh god.

Lots of fantastic characters, developing teams, the story of Carlos and his ex lover Sasha takes a few more turns, and we have new POV characters with a stroppy teenager and a dapper lesbian superfighter. It's all fantastic, if dark and occasionally messy, with terrific dialogue g
Book Riot Community
Yes, it's a sequel, but Daniel José Older's books are so much fun, I couldn't leave it out. If you have read the first one - HOORAY THERE'S A NEW BOOK! And if you haven't - GET ON THAT. These books are pure delight. Ghost detectives = awesomesauce.

Tune in to our weekly podcast dedicated to all things new books, All The Books: http://bookriot.com/category/all-the-...
Lindsay
May 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult, fiction, sffh
SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

********
That sentiment remains even still, now that I've finished the book. OH MAN. I loved it. Thanks, Older, for using roaches for the persistent creep-out factor--even if there weren't any zombies or freaky long-limbed High Priests, the roaches still would have done the trick. *shudder*

It was funny...I'm so used to Reza being a male Persian name--even when it was made clear that Reza was Puerto Rican--I still just assumed Reza was a he. I laughed s
Sunil
Aug 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, 2016
I enjoyed the ghost-hunting adventures of Carlos Delacruz in Half-Resurrection Blues and Salsa Nocturna: Stories , but to be honest, I was a bit hesitant to continue simply because SO MANY SERIES. But people were raving about Midnight Taxi Tango (and saying that it addressed the issues I had with the first book), so I picked it up.

Honesty time again! It took me like a hundred pages to really get into this book. Midnight Taxi Tango splits the POV between three characters. Carlos, that same hal
ItsNasB
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Look! This man- Daniel José Older- put his FOOT in this one! Wanted to hit him with the book after finishing, it was so damn good! Geez! I was here for Half Resurrection Blues (the prequel- though, it should be noted, MTT can be read as a standalone) even with how he had me reeling emotionally at the end- He been won me over as a fan of his writing but, believe it or not, his writing got even better with this one. Kia Summers (the melanin-filled goddess depicted on the cover) is the badass we al ...more
Deera
Dec 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dark, own
The second in the Bone Street Rumba series.

Older is an expert at creating a cast of complex, diverse characters. I loved them all; Reza was my favorite. Five stars for that.

However, I couldn't follow the plot of this one as well as Half-Resurrection Blues. I didn't truly understand how the super-natural foolishness was sorted out. It just seemed like one minute beings were wrecking havoc and the next it was all done and everyone was eating breakfast. I'm going to go back and re-read at some po
Fantasy Literature
Dec 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Midnight Taxi Tango, which was published today, is the second book in Daniel José Older’s BONE STREET RUMBA series. Things have changed dramatically for Carlos Delacruz, the half-alive agent of the Council of the Dead, who monitors badly-behaving ghosts and spirits in Brooklyn. Carlos has learned a bit more about his pre-death existence, and the love of his life has left him.

Carlos and his senior partner the ghost Riley are charged with investigating several strange “random” accidents at a local
Martha
My adoration for this book has rendered me even more inarticulate than usual, but GODDAMN it is good.

Multiple, wildly diverse narrators, disgusting cockroach creatures, a soundtrack led by a ferocious female rapper, babies being born, relationships being repaired, relationships starting, no one giving a fuck about what anyone else does in bed, and a magnificent teenager who teaches all of her white babysitting charges the following call and response routine to check in: “WHAT WE GON’ DO WHEN DI
Jana
Dec 16, 2015 added it
Shelves: 5-stars
Midnight Taxi Tango is the second book in Daniel José Older’s BONE STREET RUMBA series. Things have changed dramatically for Carlos Delacruz, the half-alive agent of the Council of the Dead, who monitors badly-behaving ghosts and spirits in Brooklyn. Carlos has learned a bit more about his pre-death existence, and the love of his life has left him.

Full review available at Fantasy Literature .
Janani
Feb 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Duuuuuuuuuudddeeeeee.
Johnny Blackchurch
Oct 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Note: I received an advance reading proof of this book from the author for the purposes of research assistance for rights clearance of Argentine song lyrics. No spoilers contained below.

I was already a fan of Daniel José Older's work, from his dreamy, lyrical short stories to his sharper, grittier noir-style work as part of the Bone Street Rumba series to his essays on the world of publishing, popular culture and activism. I found out that he began writing in order to contribute more characters
Joanna
Feb 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love that Older's characters are so well-realized: they are crisp in your mind, well-rounded, complex characters. The men and women who populate his fantasy worlds are real men and women--the men can love and the women can kick ass, and vice versa. They drink, they have sex, they love. This realness and rawness (also reflected in his dialogue) makes the fantasy elements somehow seem more possible.
Chris
Good continuation of the series - this adds several other points of view, which was good, as Carlos definitely wasn't my favorite of the book.
Koeur
Jan 07, 2016 rated it it was ok

Publisher: Roc

Publishing Date: January 2016

ISBN:9780425275993

Genre: Fantasy

Rating: 2.5/5

Publishers Description: Carlos Delacruz straddles the line between the living and the not-so alive. As an
agent for the Council of the Dead, he eliminates New York’s ghostlier problems. This time it’s a string of gruesome paranormal accidents in Brooklyn’s Von King Park that has already taken the lives of several locals—and is bound to take more.

Review: This writer must
Victoria Law
Got this book & would have devoured it overnight, but being social got in the way. So it took me a day and a half to read instead.

That said, it's the much-anticipated sequel to Half-Resurrection Blues, but I'm curious as to how this is going to connect with Salsa Nocturna: Stories, which is how I originally learned about (and learned to love) Older's brand of storytelling.

Sarah Carter
Jan 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My goodness! I read this from cover to cover in half a day. And it only took that long because I had to have a nap and dinner. This is a brilliant, pacey, clever read, that builds on the brilliance of Half-Resurrection Blues and adds in even more wonderful characters.

This is proper urban fantasy folks, diverse, engaging and breathtaking. So treat yourself. Read Half-Resurrection Blues if you haven't already then dive into this and watch you tea get cold as you get lost in the pages.
Troy
Jan 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I will not "OMG YASSSSSS" like I want to. I will restrain myself.

I will say that this does not have nearly the cultural references that the previous had, but Older knows how to intertwine the lives and actions of three very different people into a scintillating read. This is more action-oriented than the last, but that's welcome. The surprise ending, the personalities...this adds up to a great story.
Mo
Nov 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Only a voice like Daniel Jose Older's could have brought me back to reading horror after 30+ years, especially gory, bug monster kind of horror. This deliciously rich, nuanced, funny, twisty, vivid writing is worth every nightmare it gave me.
Jennifer Stoy
Jan 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This handled ALL the pacing and man pain quibbles I had with the first entry in this series, kept all the good stuff, and kept on world-building this "urban fantasy" Brooklyn. It was just great and entertaining and made me excited for the third book in the series.
D.K.
Jan 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Camille Adams
The book was high action and full of charismatic characters and earthy Brooklyn-ness. But I still found myself throughout the story seeking a raison d’etre for this piece. I couldn’t get the point exactly.

It’s as if a well-dressed and engaging stranger just walked up and started telling you about how rainbows are formed. And while the information is interesting, you’re missing the key component: what exactly is this barrage of information in reply to?

Also, Older narrated his own book. His voic
Jenna
Oct 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio-a
3.5 stars. This was a good continuation of the series. I really liked the characters we were introduced to and seeing things from their point of view instead of just Carlos, even though I love Carlos. Daniel José Older narrated the audiobook and I love his style. My only complaint is that he does such an amazing job of differentiating so many of the characters but when it came to the 2 main characters, Carlos and Kia, I couldn’t tell them apart. I continued to get lost in the story because of th ...more
Erin
May 10, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
I still really enjoyed this world and the characters, but I was so squicked out by the villain that I had a really hard time finishing the book. I kept abandoning it for long periods of time. Note: spoiler: (view spoiler)
Allie K.
Apr 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This series just keeps getting better and better. I can't wait to read #3.
Lauren Kelly
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Badass second book in Older's "Bone Street Rumba" trilogy. Five stars for the characters, setting, and world building. Three stars for the plot. I wasn't clear on how it all resolved at the end.
  • Shadow Fall (Shadowchasers, #3)
  • Bait Dog (Atlanta Burns #1.2)
  • Attack the Geek (Ree Reyes, #2.5)
  • Rapture (Bel Dame Apocrypha #3)
  • Skeleton Crew (Underworld Cycle, #2)
  • Polterheist (Esther Diamond, #5)
  • Dead Matter (Simon Canderous, #3)
  • Sister Mine
  • Shotgun Sorceress (Jessie Shimmer, #2)
  • WebMage (Webmage, #1)
  • Rivers of London Vol. 1: Body Work
  • Long Hidden: Speculative Fiction from the Margins of History
  • The Litany of Earth (The Innsmouth Legacy, #0.5)
  • Last First Snow (Craft Sequence, #4)
  • Dark Ascension (Generation V, #4)
  • Lightspeed Magazine, June 2015: Queers Destroy Science Fiction! Special Issue
  • Miles Morales: Ultimate Spider-Man: Ultimate Collection, Book 2
  • Box Office Poison (Linnet Ellery, #2)
Daniel José Older is the New York Times bestselling author of the Young Adult series the Shadowshaper Cypher (Scholastic), the Bone Street Rumba urban fantasy series (Penguin), and the upcoming Middle Grade sci-fi adventure Flood City (Scholastic). He won the International Latino Book Award and has been nominated for the Kirkus Prize, the Mythopoeic Award, the Locus Award, the Andre Norton Award, ...more

Bone Street Rumba (3 books)
  • Half-Resurrection Blues (Bone Street Rumba, #1)
  • Battle Hill Bolero (Bone Street Rumba, #3)
“But it’s not just about feeling better. It’s about letting go. Sometimes you have to do something, you know, something real, to wake yourself up.” I” 0 likes
“An unexpected ripple has been torn in their meticulously cultivated ghetto paradise, and I’m the mothafuckin’ pebble.” 0 likes