Start by marking “A Wee Dose of Death (Scotshop Mystery, #2)” as Want to Read:
A Wee Dose of Death (Scotshop Mystery, #2)

A Wee Dose of Death

(ScotShop Mystery #2)

A second dose of Scottish charm from the author of A Wee Murder in My Shop.

While business is booming at the ScotShop in Hamelin, Vermont, proprietor Peggy Winn doesn’t have time to toast her good fortune thanks to her hot-tempered, fourteenth-century Scottish companion. Being thrust into the modern world hasn’t been easy for Dirk, but Peggy is at her wit’s end trying to
Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages
Published January 5th 2016 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about A Wee Dose of Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Wee Dose of Death

LORI CASWELL
Feb 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017
Dollycas’s Thoughts

Peggy and Dirk are back and have their hands full, well as much as a ghost can have his hands full. If you haven’t read the previous story you need to know that Dirk came home to Vermont after a trip Peggy took to England. She purchased a shawl and never knew it came with a ghost as a bonus item.

Cross country skiing is a big thing in Hamelin, Vermont, even the chief of police straps on his skis and grabs his poles every once in a while. His first trip of the season goes horrib
Lisa Ks Book Reviews
Author Fran Stewart has penned a wonderful second installment to her Scotshop mystery series. If you like your cozy mysteries with cranky ghosts, you’re in for more than a wee bit of fun with this delightful story.

Rather you have read the first book in this series, A WEE MURDER IN MY SHOP, or you’re starting with this title, fans of para-cozies will be thrilled with this wonderful read.

Protagonist Peggy Winn and her gruff ghostly companion, Dirk, are back in another exciting story that is sure
Doward Wilson
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Grabs and doesn't let go. Complex mystery and murder plot that keeps you guessing until the final reveal. Peggy Win owns the ScotShop and during her last visit to Scotland to acquire merchandise, she picked up a beautiful ancient shawl. The shawl came with the ghost of a 14th century Scotsman who was learning about the modern world, while Peggy learned about his. The characters are well developed. An early snow storm covers a murder in a local cabin and the Chief of Police is stranded with the b ...more
Karen
Feb 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I enjoyed visiting with the characters from the first book I did find I missed Peggy's twin brother in this book and hope he is in book three. I don't think that the write up about the book does the story much justice. This story was very complex and more intense a murder then the first story. The Scotshop Mystery Series has the type of inviting covers I just love! Also spoiler alert, you may be reaching for more then a few cups of hot chocolate while reading this chilling tale.
Becky
Since I loved the first book so much, I was expecting to like the second book even more. I was disappointed that I did not. For the first 200 pages, Peggy was just too mean to Dirk for enjoyable reading. The real problem from my viewpoint with A Wee Dose of Death was the ending--there were too many loose ends. I do not want to say more, because that would spoil the reading of what is otherwise a clever story. I am hoping the storylines continue in Book 3. I will still be visiting the Scotshop!
Patrizia
May 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stelle e mezza
Un'altra piacevole lettura, con tante risate quando interagivano Peggy e il fantasma Dick. Sono stata un po' fuorviata dai molti punti di vista usati per raccontare la storia: quello in prima persona della protagonista e quello in terza persona della vittima, di sua moglie, del capo della polizia (personaggio odioso, per la cronaca) e del detective principale. Sarà per questo che non ho proprio capito chi fosse il colpevole? O per essere più precisi, l'ho scartato dopo una breve
OpenBookSociety.com

Dharia Scarab
Jeanie
Jan 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: obs
Fascinating second book in series! What a premise, to have one's very own personal 1300's Scottish ghost! The author's imagination and intelligence makes her plot a worthy cozy mystery. The characters are delightful, even Dirk! While I figured out only part of the motive, finding the bad guys or gals was more challenging. The plot twists kept me guessing, after grabbing my attention at the beginning and keeping it throughout. A very talented author; I will look forward to reading more.
Elizabeth Butcher
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
Ugh...I'm not sure what the motivation for the author was, but I found Peggy so unpleasant in the first few chapters that I was ready to give this one a miss. And it didn't get much better when the police chief was turned into such an ridiculous caricature of an inept, misogynistic buffoon that anything involving him was painful to read. By the end of the book, I was wishing that her friend Karaline was the main character instead of Peggy.
Stormi (BMReviewsohmy)
A Wee Dose of Death is book two in the Scotshop Mystery series. In the first book Peggy went to Scotland to get some things for her Vermont shop and bought a shawl that contained a ghost. Dirk is a Highlander from a long time ago and has no clue what all this modern stuff is so he is always full of questions.

Peggy is getting use to her ghost and her friend Karaline can also see him. Peggy went out skiing and took Dirk along with her (he can only go where the shawl goes). The see a cabin and Peg
Moondance
Marcus Wantstring wasn't looking for a place to die.

A university professor is murdered in a cabin on a cross country ski trail. The police chief breaks his leg on the trail and seeks refuge in the cabin and discovers the body. ScotShop owner, Peggy is skiing the same trail and hears the Chief cursing and does not approach the cabin much to the dismay of her resident ghost, Dirk. The ScotShop acquires a new mascot when Gilda brings in her new Scottish Terrier, Scamp. It is only after the paper re
Tanya
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
excellent concept, rather poor execution. Peggy is not a very likable character, which is a problem since she is our heroine. the author spends far to much time of Peggy's inner grouch and does not develop other parts of the story that should be. there is obviously a good back story with harper, alot more could be done with dirk. The murder takes place right at the beginning of the book, however for probably 3/4 of time the story line has little or nothing to do with the murder. then all of a su ...more
Fred
Dec 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Wee Dose Of Death is the second book in the A ScotsShop Mystery series.

Peggy Winn, who owns ScotShop, a Scottish apparel shop in Hamelin, VT., decides to do a little cross country skiing and sets out on her favorite trail. As she nears a cabin where she plans to turn around and head back, she notices an area in snow that looks as if someone has fallen and has dragged their selves to the cabin. As she nears the cabin she hears Mac Campbell swearing and figures that he must be all right. She then
Once Upon a Romance Reviews

4.25 Stars
Sexual Content: None
Language (Profanity/Slang) Content: None
Violent Content: Minimal

A Wee Dose of Death by Fran Stewart is the second book in the Scotshop Mystery series. Peggy Winn owns the ScotShop an apparel shop in Hamelin, Vermont. After returning from an overseas trip where she picked up items for her shop, Peggy finds herself dealing with a long dead Scotish companion who came along with a beautiful tartan shawl she had purchased. But “Dirk” as she calls him is the least of her
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
This second book in the series was very quick and enjoyable reading.

We are back in the Scottish Town of Hamelin, Vermont with the owner of The ScotShop, Peggy.

Peggy lives alone with her cat, Shorty, and a ghost, nicknamed Dirk from the 14th Century. Dirk arrived via a hand-woven scarf that Peggy purchased on a trip to Scotland prior opening her shop.

Dirk is attached to the scarf but anxious and eager to learn everything he can of this new country. His eagerness often gets on Peggy's last nerve.
Grey853
Peggy Winn runs a shop selling Scottish wares in Vermont. She also has a 600 year old ghost who haunts a shawl she bought in Scotland.

Personally, I didn't like Peggy. She was childish, self-centered, and irritating. Several of the other characters weren't much better, in particular the sheriff. The whole mystery seemed far-fetched and unbelievable.

The only reason I've giving it a two instead of one star is because I liked the dog.
Michael Brown
Re-read #1 to refresh my memory. Still not a real interesting story. Now #2 has less of the stupid ghost but what is there is just as obnoxious and distracting from the mystery.. We see more of the police chief and hope he will get hit by multiple busses, a train and maybe a meteor. Main character is a nosey parker and conflicted about everything except her shop which again is ignored most of the time and left to the help to run.
Mary Ann
Feb 05, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I must confess to being disappointed with this one. I know I raced through the first one and was so excited when this one came out that I put it on the top of the TBR stack of mysteries. I'm afraid there wasn't a lot of mystery going on. Too many passages with secondary characters and not enough of our main heroine this time around. Still intrigued enough to keep reading but next time I won't be in quite the hurry I was this time.
Ashby Albright
Apr 04, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I really enjoyed the first book and I think I would have enjoyed this more if it hadn't jumped viewpoints so much. In the first hundred pages it jumped to about 4 or 5 different viewpoints, sometimes even multiple times. I thought the love story was also a bit simplistic but the main problem for myself was the jumping around to points of view, even when it wasn't necessary.
Jodi
Jun 30, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I don't know what to think about this book. The main characters are just oblivious to everything. Even Harper (does he have a first name?) doesn't seem to catch on to anything.
Again the reason the person was murdered just seemed so far fetched.
What I would like to see is Dirk find his Peigi and they somehow go back to their proper time and Peggy is left all alone with her bad attitude.
Charlene  McGowan
Not completely through with the book, but wanted to give my two cents worth. The premise of the book is good, but I find Peggy, the main character is totally unlikable. Between her and the Chief of Police, Mac Campbell, there is so much grumbling it takes away from the story. I will probably not read another in the series.
Sallee
Apr 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
When I first started this mystery, She found myself becoming irritated with the main character, Peggy. She seemed quite rude at times and very abrupt. As the story went on, she seemed more mellow. I found the story line quite good.
Teri
May 08, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn’t care for the main character, she’s an immature brat, which for a successful small business owner, is surprising and annoying. I enjoyed the ghost, best friend and love interest. I don’t know if I’ll read another one from this author or series.
Carol
Jan 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fun read by Fran Stewart. I think I'm half in love with the ghost. It was impossible for me to go to sleep until I finished the book.
Ashley Mariner
"A Wee Dose of Death" is the second book in Fran Stewart's Scotshop Mystery series. In this book, Peggy and her Scottish ghost find themselves investigating the death of Karaline's former college professor.

This is the first book I have read in Stewart's series, and it just wasn't for me. I am an avid cozy mystery reader, but I didn't connect to any of the characters in this book. I found one of them downright unlikeable (Mac), and I thought that Peggy could use a better attitude much of the tim
Jane Irish Nelson
3.5 stars. Enjoyable. Told mostly in the first person from the point of view of Peggy Winn, ownder of the ScotShop, but with sections from other POVs, in the third person. It's winter in Hamelin, Vermont, and Professor Marcus Wantstring is taking a break at a mountain cabin. Only he never returns, but is discovered instead by the injured chief of police. Peggy accidentally becomes involved because she is acquainted with Marcus's wife, and also Peggy's best friend is a former student of his. The ...more
Whitney
Feb 02, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars -- The "You hurt the ones you love" adage is apropos.
Maybe it is how the author wanted Peggy to (inappropriately) cope with her on-hold love interest with Harper and her feelings for Dirk...but Peggy was kind of a jerk in this story. Aside from the accumulation of spiders wherever Dirk is present, I think it'd be cool to have a Scottish ghost hanging around.
Otherwise, I enjoyed the mystery plotline and - woohoo! - now there's Scamp the Scottie!
Scoozer
Not a bad sequel to the first book in the series. I did find it a bit repetitive and was not sure about the character development. The main character, Peggy, seemed a bit harsh in this one and I don't think the author gave sufficient reason for that. It seemed out of character and extreme. But I like the characters and will likely give it another try.
Gretchen
Jan 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fun series about a woman who buys an old Scottish shawl that has an 18th century ghost attached. In this book, Peggy's friend's former professor is murdered, and they become involved in the search for the killer.
  • The Skeleton Haunts a House (Family Skeleton Mystery, #3)
  • Hooked on Ewe (Scottish Highlands, #2)
  • Shadow of a Spout (Teapot Collector Mystery, #2)
  • Murder Ties the Knot (A Haunted Souvenir Shop Mystery, #4)
  • Dead and Breakfast (Merry Ghost Inn, #1)
  • Gilt Trip (A Scrapbooking Mystery #11)
  • Scene of the Brine (Pickled & Preserved Mystery, #3)
  • Angel Condemned (Beaufort & Company, #5)
  • Ghost to the Rescue (Bailey Ruth #6)
  • Knock on Wood (Superstition Mystery, #2)
  • Demise in Denim (Consignment Shop Mystery #4)
  • Give the Devil His Due (Tarot Mystery, #3)
  • The Happy Ever Afterlife of Rosie Potter (RIP)
  • The Royal Assassin (Victorian Bookshop Mystery #3)
  • Dead Man Stalking (Barbara Marr Murder #5)
  • A Charming Death (do us part) (Magical Cures Mystery #7.5)
  • Mrs. Malory and a Necessary End
  • The Color of Lies (Paradise Valley, #4.5)
Author of the Biscuit McKee Mystery Series and the ScotShop Mysteries. Lives with various rescued cats beside a creek on the other side of Hog Mountain GA.

ScotShop Mystery (3 books)
  • A Wee Murder in My Shop (Scotshop Mystery, #1)
  • A Wee Homicide in the Hotel (ScotShop Mystery #3)