Start by marking “Gone (Gone, #1)” as Want to Read:
Gone (Gone, #1)

Gone

(Gone #1)

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  171,497 ratings  ·  10,464 reviews
In the blink of an eye, everyone disappears. Gone. Except for the young.

There are teens, but not one single adult. Just as suddenly, there are no phones, no internet, no television. No way to get help. And no way to figure out what's happened.

Hunger threatens. Bullies rule. A sinister creature lurks. Animals are mutating. And the teens themselves are changing, developing
Published June 24th 2008 by Katherine Tegen Books

To ask other readers questions about Gone, please sign up.
Kia I LOVE the Gone series. I would read the entire series over and over again, but the first time already brought me through an emotional roller coaster.
Becca I love the Gone series as well as the Maze Runner series! Gone is a little darker though. Gone is amazing though, you should try it!

·  171,497 ratings  ·  10,464 reviews

Start your review of Gone (Gone, #1)
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
I read this book out of curiosity, with no preconceived notions. Merely because I was curious what kids would do in a world with no adults. I admit I was blown away.

Mr. Grant told me a story that I couldn't put down. From the beginning, my mind was full of questions about how this happened, how the kids would survive, what could prevent the same thing from happening again....So many questions.

Sam is the kind of boy you want to have around when the world goes crazy. He's definitely the reluctant
Kat Kennedy
I suppose I should provide some kind of explanation as to why I didn't finish reading this book.

It's not because the concept was stupid - actually the concept was quite interesting and would make for a fantastic philosophical discussion.
It's not because it was poorly written - actually it was written quite well with a great plot and interesting world building and action packed scenes.
It's not because the characters were horrible or annoying - Actually, Sam is really likable if not frustrating,
Emily May
Feb 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, 2011, sci-fi
This was a very good book about adventure, mutants, superheroes and just the plain old story of surviving high school... only this time there are no adults to keep a check on things.

This novel tells the story of how one day in a small Californian town everyone 15 and over mysteriously disappears. But that's not all. The town becomes surrounded by a strange spherical barrier, no one gets in or out. And stranger still, the children and teenagers left behind are discovering that some of them have
Janina
I put this book aside about two weeks ago, saying I would definitely go back and finish it as I only had about 100 pages left. But it doesn’t look like it now. I’m simply not in the mood to pick it up again. And as I’m not planning on spending money on the next instalments of the series, I will probably never read them anyway, so why continue here?

I really don’t know why Gone wasn’t able to intrigue me. It is a clever and absolutely thought-provoking story that definitely got me thinking. How
K.D. Absolutely
Jun 16, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to K.D. by: Ace
Highly enjoyable. Hooks you at the very start. I drive through the traffic everyday: about an hour in the morning and definitely more than an hour at nighttime. So, while reading the first few pages of the book, I said, wow this should happen here in Manila. Imagine all adults to disappear altogether without a trace at one time and all adolescents will follow once they turn fifteen. Obviously, this is okay as long as I and my loved ones are exempted hehe.

This is a YA book and so the characters
Lara
Jul 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone, really.
I hereby predict that, sometime in the next year or so, the next big Young Adult obsession will be with the book Gone, by Michael Grant, and with the subsequent books that I hope he writes quickly because I might die if I don't know the what and the why and the how and the...well, EVERYTHING. (This is apparently the first in a series of six books.)

I also predict that it will take off like the Harry Potter and the Twilight Series, with almost as many adults reading the series as kids.

For one

April (Aprilius Maximus)
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, 2015
1.) Gone
2.) Hunger
3.) Lies .5

--------------------------------------------------

Even though Michael Grant may be an asshole, I'm still impressed by his books. Can't wait to keep reading and finally find out how this series ends!
Al
Mar 31, 2011 rated it it was ok
I tried and tried to love this book, but I just couldn't connect with it. The concept was a brilliant one. It was the reason I decided to buy the book in the first place, but once I started reading it, I couldn't establish a connection with any of the characters.

I just felt as if I was an outsider and not able to grasp any of the emotions of the characters. I didn't feel as if I was part of the story. At times, I thought there was too much telling as opposed to showing. There were also many
Donalyn
Jan 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I read a lot of books, but you knew that didn't you? While I enjoy most of the books I read, few stand out to me as amazing or memorable (this is why I give out so few five star reviews).

Gone is simply the best YA book I have read since Laurie Halse Anderson's Wintergirls, and stands right beside The Hunger Games and the Knife of Never Letting Go as some of the best dystopian sci-fi around...

In Perdido Beach, life is normal (mostly) until a sudden disruption results in the disappearance of
Kristi
Jul 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is my first exposure to Michael Grant's writing, and he totally blew me away. Maybe it was because I am partial to the sci-fi/fantasy genre, but truthfully I don’t think it had anything to do with it. This story was just.... WOW!

Imagine sitting in class one day, maybe you are paying attention to your teacher, maybe you are daydreaming about surfing, then all of a sudden your teacher disappears. What would you do?

It just so happens that this very scenario happens to Sam Temple in his
Morgan F
This book is one of the most thrilling and addictive books I've ever read! The incredibly paced plot and the abundant twists and turns made it nearly impossible to put down. Don't be intimidated by the length, it reads very quickly, and you'll be wishing for more by the end. I do have a couple complaints though, that I'm willing to ignore in order to give this book 5 stars. The characters are all very young, so don't expect the most challenging dialogue, and don't expect closure at all from the ...more
C.G. Drews
NEW REVIEW IN 2014.

REASONS YOU NEED THE TRAUMA OF THE GONE SERIES IN YOUR LIFE:

1. Humour! Yay! Funniness!
I am a complete sucker for funniness. I love laughing. And books that can have me grinning and laughing OUT LOUD? They get a huge shiny sticker of happiness.

Sam rocks for witty comebacks.
Diana's sarcasm is brilliant.
Astrid's a smartie, and...well, sometimes she leave everyone in the dust:

"Let's keep moving," Sam said. "Don't worry about Little Pete. We'll find him."
"Is that meant to be a
Angelc
Jan 05, 2010 rated it liked it
The kids of Perdido Beach suddenly-very suddenly-find themselves alone. Everyone over age 14 has disappeared without a trace. It's up to the kids to make their own society to keep themselves alive. Most of the kids want Sam to lead them, but he's not sure he's comfortable in the role. His new friends, Astrid and Edilio, and his best friend, Quinn, have to help convince him to take his place as the leader of their newfound society, as well as struggle to stay alive amidst chaos, bullies, and the ...more
This was a YA dystopian story about a world in which adults simply vanished.

I felt sorry for all the kids in this story, to have every person over the age of 15 simply disappear would have been awful, especially for those kids too young to survive on their own.

The storyline in this was about the kids trying to find ways to survive after all the over 15’s disappeared, and trying to fulfil basic necessities such as food and nappies for the younger kids, whilst trying to work out if help was
Sara
Sep 15, 2008 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
The premise of this book sounded so interesting - everyone over the age of 15 simply disappears one day and the remaining kids are left trying to figure out what happened... plus they discover that some of them are somehow developing supernatural powers. I was excited to read this and expected writing along the lines of Scott Westerfeld, based on the plot and such. But alas, the novel did not deliver for me and I put it down after 100 pages or so, when I found myself skimming pages and caring ...more
Joyzi
Mar 25, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Freaks and those who are not afraid of thick books
Recommended to Joyzi by: Goodreads and Youtube
Gone is like a mix of Lord of the Flies, Under the Dome, Animal Farm, Lost, Kid Nation, Heroes, X-Men and that Simpsons Movie...

Simpsons Movie Pictures, Images and Photos

This book I think is popular and also has quite number of fans but I haven't read it immediately because the book was very thick and I just find that I'm too lazy to follow a series like this. However I changed my mind and finally decided to read the first book.

At first my opinion about this book is, it is a very easy read. The sentences and the dialogues are kept
Thomas
In the blink of an eye. Everyone dissapears. GONE. Those three lines pretty much sum up the plot of the book, and was cleverly placed on the front jacket cover. Michael Grant phenomonaly captured so many different plot elements and combined them into a dystopic apocolypse that resembled Lord of the Flies, yet also added an element that gave characters unique abilities (like one of my favorite TV shows, Heroes).

Every character in this book has dymanic, none of them fall flat at all. There are
Anne
Jul 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is kind of embarrassing to admit, but I avoided this series for a while because I thought it was an offshoot of those Left Behind books. I know, I know. I should probably read them before I make any snap judgments, but I have absolutely no desire to read a series about The Rapture.
At all.
Ever.
Anyhoo. Thankfully, this series has nothing to do with that.

*Ok. Stop laughing at me! I only glanced at the blurb a few years ago! You gotta admit that "Blah, blah, blah, a bunch of people
Sh3lly
"Exciting, high-tension stories. I love these books." - Stephen King

Welp, I guess this is going to be another one that I just don't get the hype over. I really wanted to like this, and it's not bad. It's just not that good either.

It doesn't seem like much of anything happened. It's like Under the Dome meets Lord of the Flies, only way suckier. There's nothing wrong with the writing, but I sure must have missed all the "exciting, high-tension" sections S.K. was talking about.

558 pages,
Tatiana
Jul 09, 2009 rated it liked it
This book was a pleasant surprise. The plot is quite wild actually: one day, all people over the age of 15 disappear, and young kids are left to fend for themselves in a world, where "normal" rules no longer exist. In this new world, the FAYZ - Fallout Alley Youth Zone, the unimaginable happens - animals rapidly mutate, some kids acquire special X-men-like abilities, coyotes led by the mysterious Darkness try to overtake humans.

Undoubtedly, this sounds like a lot of craziness, and yet it all
Farren
Gone is not equal to other books I've rated two stars, but I also don't think it deserves one star, so I guess Merry Early Christmas Michael Grant.

This definitely falls into the "overrated" category for me. The writing is... not good. Many long conversations where each sentence ends in "he said/she said" and a lot of telling but no showing. I didn't like any of the characters very much, Edilio was probably my favorite, and they weren't written realistically. You're telling me a bunch of 14 years
Olivia
Dec 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Gone begins in the quiet, seaside town of Perdido Beach. A seemingly ordinary day is quickly transformed into one of confusion and mass hysteria when everyone over the age of fourteen suddenly disappears without a trace. In the absence of parents, teachers, doctors, and police, the children are left to fend for themselves. The lack of phones, internet, and television, as well as the quickly diminishing food supply convert the children's initial shock into terror. As the remaining citizens of ...more
Morgan
4.5 Stars!
This book was fun, funny and very fast paced!I really like all of the weirdness in this book. I also liked a lot of the characters! I think what I loved the most was the well roundness of the characters. We have a super dude, a Mexican, we have a challenged little kid and we have the teens from an academy their parents sent them because they were trouble. I recommend this book a lot. Can't wait to get to the sequel!
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
It's a normal November morning at Perdido Beach, a small town of about 3,000 on the California coast jokingly called Fallout Alley by the locals because of the nuclear power plant not far away. Normal, that is, until, at eighteen past ten, everyone fifteen and older disappears in the blink of an eye.

Babies to fourteen year olds are the only ones left - bewildered, lost, afraid, alone. Grade nine students Sam, his best friend Quinn, and Astrid the Genius are quick to realise what's happened, but
Rachael
Apr 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Welcome to the FAYZ, short for Fallout Alley Youth Zone. There’s no one who’s over the age of fourteen; they’ve all “poofed,” they’re just gone. But the strangeness only starts there. There’s a circular wall, or maybe dome, surrounding the land within a ten-mile radius from the nuclear plant. The wall is impenetrable and burns you if you touch it. There are strange mutations in the animals, such as seagulls with talons, winged snakes, and talking coyotes. Some kids have also developed strange ...more
Lauren Kammerdiener
Oct 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: if you're looking for something that's dystopian but not overly dystopian
I had first planned on only giving this book three stars, but then I got to thinking about it, and I realized I couldn't.

This is a very unique book. I thought it was going to be dystopia-blah, but it really isn't dystopian. There is no corrupt society or government. It's just a beach town where all the adults have disappeared and the kids are trapped inside a giant forcefield.
You know, the usual.

I think Michael Grant did a really great job with this concept. He explored every angle of what it
Elizabeth
So, here's the thing. I had a lot of books on my TBR shelf that had been sitting there for years, probably since I was in highschool. Gone was one of them. I recently cleared out my entire TBR (it took a while) because I realised I was never going to enjoy most of those books. Gone actually made it onto my physical bookshelf, however, so I picked it up the other day and started reading.

I think this is probably a really excellent series for anyone between the ages of 12-16. It's a really cool,
Annalisa
Jul 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Annalisa by: Tatiana
The big question in my head most of this book, was "who is the target audience?" Nobody in the book is over 15 (despite the 18-year-olds on the awful cover), so you'd think 13 or 14 year-olds, but at close to 600 pages, I can't see most of them reading this. And if you get too old, stories about abandoned children--babies--dying of neglect might bother you, or maybe even stories where you'd have disappeared because you've hit your 15th birthday. But despite all that, it's a great premise with a ...more
Nora
Stupid book stupid characters. Here's an example:

"You have to boil the water first, then you put the pasta in" Quinn said
"How do you know that" Sam was frowning turning a blue box of rotini pasta trying to find instructions.
"Because I've seen my mom do it, like, a million times. The water has to boil first"
Sam and Quinn starred at the big pot of water on the stove.
"A watched pot never boils," Edilio said
Sam and Quinn both looked away. Edilio laughed. "It's just a saying. It's not actually
Zoe Artemis Spencer Reid
Well, it's 3.5 from me actually.
The idea of the story is interesting at first. But it's get boring in the middle of the book and stretched long. Repeating scenes of fight with almost dead situation and none of the bad guys died. The end is also a bit anticlimax. But there are a lot of mysteries (some of them not answered until the end, but I am sure we will get the answers in the next book) and some of the characters are lovable, although I really could not see the point of "Quinn" here. Why

• I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies, #1)
  • The Maze Runner (The Maze Runner, #1)
  • The Enemy (The Enemy, #1)
  • The 5th Wave (The 5th Wave, #1)
  • Uglies (Uglies, #1)
  • Divergent (Divergent, #1)
  • The Scorch Trials (The Maze Runner, #2)
  • Legend (Legend, #1)
  • Matched (Matched, #1)
  • The Death Cure (The Maze Runner, #3)
  • The Kill Order (The Maze Runner, #0.5)
  • Insurgent (Divergent, #2)
  • The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking, #1)
  • Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2)
  • The Darkest Minds (The Darkest Minds, #1)
  • Unwind (Unwind, #1)
  • Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3)
  • Allegiant (Divergent, #3)
Co-author with Katherine Applegate of Ocean City, Making Out, Summer, Animorphs, Everworld, Remnants, Eve and Adam.

Pseudonymous coauthor with KA of Christy (the TV spin-off books), Sweet Valley Twins, Girl Talk and various Disney spin-offs.

Pseudonymous author of Barf-O-Rama.

Author of Gone, BZRK, The Magnificent 12, Messenger of Fear, Front Lines, Monster and A Sudden Death in Cyprus.

AKA

Gone (6 books)
  • Hunger (Gone, #2)
  • Lies (Gone, #3)
  • Plague (Gone, #4)
  • Fear (Gone, #5)
  • Light (Gone, #6)
“Welcome to Perdido beach, where our motto is: Radiation, what radiation?” 623 likes
“We didn't Make this World we're just the Poor Fools who are living in it.” 443 likes