Start by marking “Requiem Mass (DCI Andrew Fenwick, #1)” as Want to Read:
Requiem Mass (DCI Andrew Fenwick, #1)

Requiem Mass (DCI Andrew Fenwick #1)

3.65  ·  Rating details ·  337 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
When young mother Debbie Fearnside goes missing, police interest is minimal. Then DCI Andrew Fenwick notices a curious set of coincidences with the case of Kate Johnstone and it becomes clear that they have both been murdered in revenge for a long-forgotten death.
Published 1999 by Headline (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Requiem Mass, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Requiem Mass

Danni Z
I was intrigued by the abstract when I first picked up this book. It promised an intricate mystery entwined in secrets. I was disappointed to find it slow-paced, dragged out, and lacking suspense. At points I even considered moving onto another book.

The culprit is showcased from the start, there's no real mystery to how he commits his crimes, and the overarching secret connecting everything is rather bland. In fact, the entire book is told in a bland fashion. Perhaps it was going for a realisti
Susan
Jul 08, 2013 rated it liked it
This is a Colombo-type, British police-procedural: the reader knows what's going on before the detective, so we watch as he closes in on the bad guy.
The problem is that the last third of the book drags on for too long. After a while, what we know becomes something the police should have figured out way before they do. And an aspect of the murderer's character seemed to come out of left field and skewed the story line.
Regardless, the sleuth, a British Detective Chief Inspector, is extremely comp
Nikki
Dec 09, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the story and it's progression but this book is just so damn long which halted my enjoyment on several occasions. I felt it could have lost about 100 pages and not lost anything just gained momentum. I felt we were given too much unnecessary detail. I enjoyed the end though (when I finally got there!)
Sally
Jun 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Detective Fenwick is on the case of a missing woman when the bloody murder of a school teacher occurs.
It takes investigating skills to come up with who and why. For a mystery book - it went on and on. Shoukd
have cut at least 100 pages.
Carol
Jul 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Requiem Mass by Elizabeth Corley
Andrew Fenwick series Book #1
3.5 ★'s

What's It About?
When young mother Debbie Fearnside goes missing, police interest is minimal. Then DCI Andrew Fenwick notices a curious set of coincidences with the case of murder victim Kate Johnstone. It becomes clear they have both been murdered, revenge for a long-forgotten death.

What I Think?
It doesn't carry much of a surprise. It is the first book in the series and I know they can sometimes be a bit awkward but there was ju
Lisa
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This should be very high to read on anyone's Crime list. Superb opening novel for Fenwick I look forward to reading more of his cases!
Best Crime Books & More
Jun 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
We meet DCI Andrew Fenwick who is back to work following the break up of his marriage under awful circumstances. He is trying to manage his family on his own with the help of his mother when he goes back to work and is given the mundane task of desk duty. Before long he moves on to a new case which takes him away from the desk and straight into the firing line. It involves five school friends who twenty years earlier were on a school trip when tragedy struck and one of those girls was killed in ...more
zendegy
Oct 12, 2016 rated it liked it
More of a 3.5. One of my favorite things about this book, is that there is not one amazing detective who figures it all out and finds the villain. Several police personnel play a part in solving the crime, and both effort and serendipity do play a part, as is so often true in life.
There is well considered detail in just the right amount to give shape to the characters and the relationships between them are realistic.
The mystery itself is a bit far-fetched. Okay, a lot. And I just cannot begin t
Mike Gabor
Jun 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: british-mystery
DCI Andrew Fenwick is returning to work after an absence for compassionate leave. He starts to investigate what seemed to be a straight missing persons case but soon finds that this case is more likely a kidnapping. As the investigation moves forward more crimes are committed that seem to be related to the original case.

I enjoyed this book but,I really wanted to enjoy it even more. The writing is done very well and the mystery is well played out but, I felt that the author made the lead characte
Pat
Aug 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
El
May 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
This is the first book in the DCI Andrew Fenwick series and details some pretty explicit and gory murders. The clues lead back to a group of schoolgirls and a sudden death 20 years before and Fenwick is pitted against a seemingly invincible and ruthless perpetrator. If you can suspend your disbelief over the occasional copper's hunch, coincidence, lucky break, etc, this is a very good read, gripping and interesting right to the end with its twist in the tale. One strange point. Elizabeth Corley, ...more
Wendy Hearder-moan
Jun 20, 2016 rated it liked it
This is the first book in the series, but I had read the second previously, so it filled in some gaps for me. Additionally, I found it useful to go back and read some parts when I finished the third volume. It's a good book and it establishes Inspector Fenwick as a policeman with human failings as well as many strong points. However I still find some of the plot details a bit fuzzy -- probably the fault of the reader rather than the writer.
Susan
Jan 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
In a London suburb, a woman was meticulously trapped, kidnapped and killed. DCI Andrew Fenwick, just back from leave to care for and then bury his mentally ill wife, is looking into old cases to ease in his return to work. Then another woman in the same suburb is brutally murdered. There are no miraculous revelations here - just hard, gritty detective work. It provides a good story. And, is the first of a series featuring Fenwick.
Anna R
Nov 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
When I've started reading this book, I wasn't sure whether it is surprasing and entertaining enough. But it did surprised me in a good way - great characters, almost all the time you can feel thrill. Good ending is definitely a big plus, and I'm waiting for other Corleys book to be published in Poland.
Billy Abbott
Pretty good, straightforward crime novel, with a chunk of violence and the requisite bits of cliche.

Occasional plot points felt forced and the whole story does have a certain constructed air to it, with characters motivations and actions not necessarily corresponding with how I felt they'd been written, but in general it's a tightly written crime story, even if it doesn't surprise much.
Jovdb
Jun 29, 2015 rated it liked it
The first introduction to Fenwick and Nightingale. I read these books out of sequence so it was nice to read about their first connection and to know how their relationship progresses.

In this novel, they investigate a series of murders that connect through an old tragedy that occurred during a school outing twenty odd years ago.

Linda
Jan 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: own
Good start but began to lag a bit in the middle and seemed to become more drawn out than it needed to be. Became more of a 'why (s)he done it' than a 'who done it'. Will try the author again and see how another offering fares.
Jane Walker
Jan 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
As police procedurals go this was pretty good. There's no jumping about in time, which is always irritating. The plot works its way out through the story so that we don't need a long exposition at the end. The characters are convincing and the writing is unobtrusive.
Mary Newcomb
DCI Andrew Fenwick has intuitive detective skills. Combine that with his sad back story and the mysterious disappearances of women who were school friends and you get this complex and sad story. The title and use of lyrics from the musical highlight may be overkill but what drama it invokes.
Jo-anne
Jan 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Not the traditional "who done it?" approach to a mystery as the elusive murderer is introduced during the body of the novel. Still, there is a strong story line that keeps you interested in following the course of revenge.
Meredith
Sep 29, 2013 rated it it was ok
Not overly about this one...you could see where the plot was going long before DCI Fenwick did...and there was enough unethical behavior on his part to be distasteful...won't be looking for the next one in the series.
Elizabeth Webber
Dec 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
A great mystery. It's hard to choose which adversary to dislike most. Finnick is a thoughtful, level headed detective, but is also so human. There is a great portrait painted of his personal and professional lives. I will be looking for th others in this series on my next trip to the library.
judy
Sep 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-thriller
Almost a four but it lost on being too predictable from early on. Granted, knowing what's going to happen, is part of the author's technique, but there were things that weren't supposed to be predictable that seemed predictable to me. If I came across it, I would probably read a "Fenwick #2".
Heleen
Aug 21, 2012 rated it liked it

Good read. Great story. Some characters not very credible, still enjoyable.
PWRL
Jun 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5/5 stars
Michelle Meades
Jul 03, 2013 rated it did not like it
Read first 2 chapters - just couldn't get into it.
Potsdam Public Library
Dec 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: patron
An excellent murder mystery.
Baz
Dec 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime-thriller
I enjoyed this book. Clever plot.
henrys-axe
May 30, 2015 rated it liked it
An interesting plot that tends to drag a bit too often and is longer than necessary. The author does make good use of character development.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Add Dutch edition to book 13 148 Aug 01, 2012 12:08PM
  • Winter Wind
  • Never Look Back (DI Mike Lockyer, #1)
  • Carved in Darkness (Sabrina Vaughn #1)
  • Red Ribbons (Dr. Kate Pearson, #1)
  • Frozen Stiff (Mattie Winston Mysteries, #3)
  • Scare Me
  • The Dragon Man (Inspector Challis, #1)
  • Senseless (Senseless, #1)
  • The Murder Wall (DCI Kate Daniels, #1)
  • The Bundy Murders: A Comprehensive History
  • First Frost (Detective Jack Frost Prequel, #1)
  • Corrupt Practices: A Parker Stern Novel (Parker Stern, #1)
  • Nemesis (Nameless Detective, #37)
  • The Warrior (Warriors, #1)
  • Remembering Sarah
  • Hearts of Sand (Gregor Demarkian, #28)
  • The Xibalba Murders (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #1)
  • The Book of Killowen (Nora Gavin, #4)
Elizabeth Corley was born and brought up in West Sussex. Married with a stepdaughter, she manages to balance her crime-writing with a position as Chief Executive, Europe for a global investment company. A one-time committee member and vice-chairperson of the Crime Writers' Association, she is still an active member, while finding time to pursue her outside interests of travel, gardening and music.
More about Elizabeth Corley...

DCI Andrew Fenwick (5 books)
  • Fatal Legacy (DCI Andrew Fenwick, #2)
  • Grave Doubts (DCI Andrew Fenwick, #3)
  • Innocent Blood (DCI Andrew Fenwick, #4)
  • Dead of Winter (DCI Andrew Fenwick #5)