Jump to ratings and reviews
It's hard living on the wrong side of the tracks.

Lowen Seely has a criminal record to prove it. Determined not to follow in his father's footsteps, he fights instinct and tries honesty. But hunger becomes painful, and bills are due. Forced to choose between what is right and wrong, the boy from the hood learns abiding by the rules is nearly impossible when corruption is in your blood.

Falling for an outlaw has changed everything.

Poesy Ashby is the definition of ride or die, even when it means turning her back on freedom. The girl from the suburbs gives conformity the middle finger. Bonnie and Clyde have nothing on her love story.

On the run with consequences in the rearview mirror, Lowen and Poesy accept the truth: they are the bad guys.

But can they get away with their crimes?

364 pages, Paperback

First published January 4, 2016

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Mary Elizabeth

18 books1,697 followers
Mary Elizabeth was born and raised in Southern California. She is a wife, mother of four beautiful children, and dog tamer to one enthusiastic Pit Bull and a prissy Chihuahua. She's a hairstylist by day but contemporary fiction, new adult author by night.

Mary can often be found finger twirling her hair and chewing on a stick of licorice while writing and rewriting a sentence over and over until it's perfect. She discovered her talent for tale-telling accidentally, but literature is in her chokehold. And she's not letting go until every story is told.

"The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure."--Jeremiah 17:9

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
124 (9%)
1 star
59 (4%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 366 reviews
Profile Image for ✦❋Arianna✦❋.
790 reviews2,494 followers
February 3, 2016
4.5 Stars!!

“Tell me a story, Poe. Say something important.”

“Low” was like anything I have read before. It was gripping from the very beginning, addictive and made my heart go crazy so many times. A modern day ‘Bonnie and Clyde’ tale, “Low” was remarkably well written and kept me at the edge of my seat the entire time. I’ve always loved gangsters stories and I’ve always had been fascinated with the real Bonnie and Clyde, so needless to say this story intrigued me very much. I guarantee is a story you won’t forget anytime soon.

“I tried to live the right way, but with a record like mine, I’m fated to live a life of crime and poverty. Once a felon, always a felon.”

Low’s life is hard. Since his father was locked up, he had to look after his mother and younger sister and be the man of the house. He was forced by these circumstance to drop out of high school and also to make some decisions that he’s not very proud of. But he did what he had to do to make sure his family is taking care of. His juvenile record is impressive to say the least – theft, petty theft, car theft and more, but Low is trying to stay ‘clean’ working as a lawn boy. He meets Poesy, a middle class girl, a girl who fell for him as hard as he fell for her. Poesy doesn’t care about some aspects in Low’s life. All she cares is that Low makes her feel wanted, loved, cherished, exactly what her family never made her feel.

description

Low and Poesy love each other and they are perfect for each other in every way that counts, but life can be hard and every day becomes a struggle. They refuse to accept that this life is real, that this life is for them. They want more, they deserve more and the only chance to have it all is to turn into criminals.

“Us vs. Them. Right vs. Wrong. Good vs. Evil.”

“Low” was such a fantastic read! As always the writing was stellar, poetic and flawless. This author is truly a talented storyteller and she will make you feel everything these two characters felt – their desperation, their love, their fear. Honestly, the plot was exactly like I expected, but I still enjoyed it very much.

Both Low and Poesy were flawed, well developed, butt very endearing characters. Low was a criminal with a heart of gold. He’s ready to sacrifice his life, his freedom for his loved ones. He is a criminal, but he’s not a bad guy. My heart broke for him at times, and even if I didn’t agree with all his decisions, I understood his reasoning.

“We rob banks, steal cars, and outrun an entire nation of jaded fucks.
Chaos is our marriage certificate.
Mayhem is the bond that keeps us together.”

Poesy was a very likeable character. She loves Low with all her heart and she’s determined to be with him no matter what. I absolutely loved her devotion and the way she loves Low. Even when Low made a terrible mistake she was there for him, being not only loyal, but also proud she is his partner.

description

Low and Poesy’s relationship is fantastically portrayed. You can feel their love in every single one of their interaction and let me tell you, their beautiful love it’s palpable from start to finish. It goes without saying I loved this couple very much. Here is not about the chemistry between the two main characters, is about that special bond you feel with the one you love, THE ONE for you, so don’t expect a ton of chemistry.

"We did this together, and anything we do together is right, Low."

The story is fast-paced, intense at times and equally heartwarming and heartbreaking and I totally recommend it if you love unique, unforgettable love stories.

description
Profile Image for Christy.
3,755 reviews32k followers
August 21, 2016
5 stars!

photo 236F67A8-88B4-4072-9B80-E026D67A6778_zpsgq3cprbh.jpg

Any and every book I read by Mary Elizabeth has that unique writing style that’s both lyrical and beautiful. Low is one of those stories that was completely original. I can’t say I’ve ever read anything like it before. It gave me anxiety, made my palms sweat and my heart race, but I loved it so much. What I felt for these characters- I can’t even explain it. It’s been days since I’ve read the book and Lowen and Poesy still cross my mind constantly.

photo C8B1D2AA-3430-421B-9FD0-C15E25B84978_zps8rled3cu.jpg

Low is a good man who’s made some bad choices. He wants to do the right thing. He wants a good life for himself and the love of his life, Poesy, but all the odds are constantly against him. Two steps forward and three steps back. That is Lowen’s life. Low is forced to make a lot of hard choices. Choices that you and I could never dream of having to make.

The line of right and wrong can blur when you’re desperate. Lowen doesn’t have much in life, but he has something money can’t buy. The love of a woman who he’s desperately in love with. A woman who would choose a hard life of poverty, because she loves him that much. Poesy lives for Lowen. She would never leave him and always has his back. That kind of love is hard to find and is something you can’t let go of once you find it.
She’s struggling under the pressure of the life she chose by choosing me.

photo DFFB1DF6-452E-4483-B45A-C81B2F3815AD_zpsq4jlnsy2.jpg

There is so much that leads up to Lowen and Poesy making a huge, life altering decision. The choice that makes not only Lowen, but Poesy a criminal as well. They live a life of crime, but you won’t be able to stop yourself from falling for these criminals.

Low I loved from the start. I know, this sounds like the craziest thing ever, but he really is an admirable character. All the bad things Lowen does, he does them for a reason. He’s not perfect, he’s had to make tough calls, but he’s a leading man I completely adored. And lets talk about Poesy… what a bad ass! I was not expecting this girl from the beginning to turn into the woman she became. Wow! The thing I loved most about her was her love and devotion to Low. They were perfect for each other.

photo 8DC99951-8F5E-4DCB-B490-D1CD7BABC59F_zpsvcwgldbx.jpg

There are very few authors (I can think of 3 or 4 max) that I know without a shadow of a doubt when I read one of their books, I will not only love the story, but it will be completely original, well written and all consuming. In an industry where so many new books and authors come out of the woodwork daily it seems, it’s such a rare and fantastic quality to have. Mary is one of those authors. She writes with such heart, such emotion, it’s impossible not to get completely immersed in her stories.

Low is a book I won’t ever forget. Lowen and Poesy are characters that will stay near and dear to my heart. And Even crooks love is probably the most epic tagline ever. If you’re looking for a fast paced story that will keep you on the edge of your seat, one that will make you think, make you feel, make you fall in love AND is exquisitely written, pick up Low! A 5 star favorite for me!
Chaos is our marriage certificate.
Mayhem is the bond that keeps us together.
 photo CA2077CE-508F-44C8-A6F8-1AC9A327161D_zpspcpzfegi.jpg
Profile Image for Jennifer Kyle.
2,358 reviews4,605 followers
January 23, 2016
4.5 "Four-Four Bandits" STARS

[image error]

Mary Elizabeth delivers a modern day Bonnie and Clyde read that that lets you feel and experience the circumstances that led the two main characters into becoming wanted bank robbers.

The writing in this book is truly addicting and I easily fell into Lowen Seely’s tale. I adored the bond and love he shares with his girl, Poesy. I felt everything they experienced and all the credit goes to the writing because at times I had to look around and make sure I was in my home and not with Low and Poesy in Inglewood, California.

Financial struggles, hard times, and a constant quest for better leads Low and Poesy turning into criminals. The bank robberies were thrilling and the fear of getting caught or worse only added to the intensity of this story.

"We did this together, and anything we do together is right, Low."

I can’t say that I found this story original story or it's ending original but it's sure unforgettable. The direction the story headed did make the ending fitting even though I found it heartbreaking. I honestly couldn’t get enough of this couple, they were definitely written to the point that they felt so very real. I do believe that Mary Elizabeth gave readers something very special in this couple!

description

**ARC provided by the author in exchange for an honest review**
Profile Image for Brandi.
628 reviews1,279 followers
February 16, 2016
4.5 Stars
I enjoyed this one. Fast-paced and thrilling, Low was a solid read for me.
description
Profile Image for ~♡AB♡~.
975 reviews665 followers
★★★★ 4.5 Stars ★★★★

Now LIVE!
Amazon US | Amazon UK

I never fail to fall in love with Mary Elizabeth's characters, and Low & Poesy were no exception. I feel this book in my heart and I won't ever forget it, it's ingrained into me and even now, whilst I am writing my review, I am tearing up thinking about it. This is a unique story and one that makes you root for the bad guys simply because they are good people, deep down.

Low grew up on the poverty line, with a convict for a father and his mum and little sister to look after, he always felt like he needed to be the one to put food in their bellies and keep a roof over their heads. When middle class Poesy fell for his charms when he was the lawn boy for her parents, he always knew she was way too good for the likes of him.

Poesy never felt truly loved by her parents, they weren't bad people but she always knew she was different, seeking excitement in her otherwise mundane life.

Now in their early twenties, Low & Poesy embark on a life of constant struggle, trying to pay the bills and living a semblance of a life that is good, that is until they are left with no choice but to fight.

I adored the relationship between Low & Poesy, it was a special and beautiful love that made this story so solid and wonderful to me. No matter what, Poesy would always be by Low's side and she was proud to be there, she loved him even though he had made bad choices in the past and she was not about to let anything ruin their life together.

"Just like before, Low.
You can't get rid of me, you son of a bitch.
Even if you try, I'm here."

All Low wanted in life was to be able to give the people he loved a decent life, he loved so fiercely and beneath his criminal mind was a good and kind-hearted soul.

The writing was memorising and written in Mary Elizabeth's unique style that I have come to love so much. I spent a good portion of the book on the edge of my seat with wide eyes, just waiting to see how things were going to play out for the pair.

"We did this together, and anything we do together is right, Low."

The ending was as memorable as you are going to get, my heart was breaking into pieces, hoping that things were going to work out, even in such desperate and dire circumstances I felt like I was living in this book.

This is an extended version of the original short story in the Bad Boys Anthology

Low is a standalone told in the male POV.

ARC gratefully received from the author in exchange for an honest review

Images featured in this review were created by me using stock images either purchased from deposit photo or from free stock sites.

Profile Image for TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover.
362 reviews858 followers
January 20, 2016

Even crooks feel regret.

Even crooks break.

Even crooks sympathize.

Even crooks dream.

Even crooks grieve.

Even crooks love.

Lowen Seely is a criminal. Forced to break the law to help his family and girlfriend. Deemed a crook before he even broke a law because of his father’s past.

“I’m Lowen Joshua Seely.

Son of a murderer, property of the state, society’s downfall.

I am what nightmares are made of.”

But behind his thieving ways, he is compassionate, he is loving, and he is devoted to helping the ones he loves. After every crime he commits in a desperate attempt to protect his family, he feels overwhelming remorse. And above all else, his need to protect his girlfriend Poesy is what made me fall absolutely in love with his character.

“And if something happens to you, death won’t give me peace. Do you understand that? I need you, baby. Give me something to run to when this is over.”

Poesy is the utter definition of devoted. She doesn’t care about what Lowen has done, she doesn’t care about his record, all she cares about is staying by his side until the very end. She’s fierce and loyal and a heroine I adored so much.

“I’m not leaving you. Do you hear me, you son of a bitch?” Poesy cries loudly as heartbreak falls from her eyes. “I’m here. I’m here with you.”

Lowen and Poesy together? They’re fucking magical. A love like theirs is what people wish to experience in their lifetime. I read someone compare them to a cross between Bonnie and Clyde and Romeo and Juliet, and I couldn’t agree more. They live and breathe for one another, and break the law and steal in hopes to better the life they share.

"I can't be anywhere else other than with you, Lowen," she says softly. "No matter what happens, we have to stay together."

"I know," I answer.

"In this life or the next."

This book is filled with heart pounding, nail biting, and anxiety inducing moments. Every time Low was about to break the law, my nails were immediately bit off. The last 20 minutes or so? I couldn't freaking breathe! The dedication and master mind behind Low’s heists were disturbingly sexy, and made me want to rob a bank with him.

description

Mary’s writing is so vivid you feel like you are riding right alongside Low and Poesy. She writes in such a unique, addicting way that I flew right through this. The story itself is so different and refreshing even though at times the characters will break your heart. It’s beautiful and touching and lyrical and TRUST ME when I say you'll find yourself routing and falling in love with this misunderstood outlaw and his girl.

I LOVED THIS STORY and just know it will be one of those I continue to think about days and even months from now. Truly an epic story everyone needs to experience.

LOW is out February 1st | http://amzn.to/1JzOLs2

Profile Image for Beverly.
1,005 reviews800 followers
January 25, 2016
I read five to seven books per week, so when a book sticks with me and I am still thinking about characters days later it’s huge to me. I read Low in one sitting and days later I was still struggling with my feelings.

Low isn’t your typical hero or bad boy, because Low isn’t bad, he is desperate. Low’s family has struggled financially his entire life. His father is in prison and he carries so much responsibility for his family. Desperation leads Low to make desperate decisions and he finds himself in prison.

Posey is Low’s girlfriend and absolute love of his life. She comes from a better family, but decides her loyalty is to Low. During his time in jail Posey starts to plan and build for them, but when he gets out things are still a real struggle. That’s how Low and Poe turn into a modern day Bonnie and Clyde on the run from the law.

I believe in hard work, sacrifice and dedication, so I am very anti-crime and believe there is always another way. Although, while reading Low I never once questioned their choices, I just felt this overwhelming desire to save them. I knew their hearts and they are good people. I hated the choices they felt they had to make, I hate that the desperation was so strong they didn’t see another way out.

My heart heart still breaks for these fictional characters, which is crazy! I loved the characters. I love the story development. I love how the story was action packed, but had still had so much heart. Low isn’t like every other book on the market and that’s what I love. I loved that it stays with me. I loved that I could feel the love and chemistry between the characters. I seriously loved everything about this story.

ARC kindly provided in exchange for an honest review.

Profile Image for warhawke.
1,283 reviews1,928 followers
September 21, 2016
Genre: Romantic Suspense
Type: Standalone Book 1 from Low series
POV: First Person - Male
Rating:

Lowen (Low) Seely grew up from the wrong side of the track. Hardship of life pushed him into committing a crime that landed him into incarceration. Now a free man, he vowed to change his life and make it worth for the one who waited for him.

Poesy (Poe) Ashby came from middle income neighborhood. But she can't help but fell in love with the lowly grass cutter from the other side of town. She waited for Low and sacrificed a lot so they could get a fresh start. However, life new life was a lot harder than either of them anticipated.

I have always been more attracted to stories of hardships than the glitzy high life because it usually force you muddle the line between what's right and what's best.

Despite what he did, I think Low was an admirable character. Desperation forced people to be out of character. He did whatever he could for a reason.

Unlucky to have fallen in love with a criminal, Poesy’s nothing more than a side effect of my bad choices.

I love how loyal Poe was. She didn't use Low's situation as an excuse. Instead she went above and beyond to make sure they would make it.

The writing was poetic yet precise, unlike some lyrical writing that could be tiring. The story was nothing groundbreaking and there's really only one direction it could go, yet it didn't detract my attention and I was rooting for the characters from the beginning.

“We did this together, and anything we do together is right, Low.”

I think this book is actually quite romantic - in a non traditional way of course. Their love and loyalty to each others were boundless.

Low is a gripping story of a couple's desperation that forced good people to do bad things. Their journey of pain and pleasure will keep you entertain to the end.

Note:
THAT gun scene. Mmm…. :p

Books in the series:
Poesy (Low, #0.5) by Mary Elizabeth Low (Low, #1) by Mary Elizabeth

★ Copy won from #ShhTopPick Heroes who are no Shhloppy 2nds! ★
Thanks Julia!

For more reviews/reveals/giveaways visit:

Profile Image for ❥ KAT ❥ Kitty Kats Crazy About Books.
2,134 reviews7,324 followers
January 22, 2016
༺**Complimentary Copy**༺ Provided by the author
"Mary Elizabeth" in exchange for an honest review..Thank you!!

TITLE: Low
SERIES: (Low, #1)
AUTHOR: Mary Elizabeth
GENRE: Contemporary Romance
RELEASE DATE: February 1st 2016

MY RATING: ★★★★★

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Five stars is not enough, this is a must read for everyone!

★A modern day Bonnie & Clyde with a Romeo & Juliet twist to it ★

LOW: A father that's behind bars, a mother on a disability allowance makes for hard living, twenty - two year old (Lowen Joshua Seely) aka Low a high school dropout, resorts to stealing a loaf of bread and a jar of peanut butter for their empty stomachs sees him disfiguring the store clerk who caught him stealing with knuckle busters to escape the store has him in handcuffs faster than he can blink.

Once a felon, always a felon.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This is such a unique riveting read, so easy to lose yourself in the story, I love how this author has an uncanny knack with bringing her characters to life in your mind as you move through the pages, you connect on all aspects of the story..

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

During his incarceration in prison he befriends an inmate named Johnny who is serving time for bank heists. When Low can he gathers information on 'Bonnie and Clyde, Jesse James' and other famous bank robbers.

After 27 months inside life on the outside isn't easy

I've been out of prison for eight months, but I feel like we're both imprisoned by the pile of bills and limitations of a felon.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Slowly, there's less money coming in and more money going out.

Like an adrenaline junkie the anticipation running through my veins with how low they have sunken is making for a fast paced read to see what the outcome is, it's hard not to root for these two..

We survive on stolen time

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Life on the run means being suspicious of everyone

Even though deep down you know they are the bad guys you can't help but be on their side, your heart races along with Low's, your palms get sweaty hoping he gets out safely, your mind screams at him to go in and out and hurry up, your fingers race to turn the next page, your eyes race to devour the words, never have I read anything like this, your ass sits on the edge of the couch urging them to not get hurt, to not get caught..Jumping up and down on the couch COME ON DRIVE FASTER COME ON!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

GAH the anticipation is a killer!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Gods this book killed me, every emotion you can possibly feel when reading a book this delivers, the frustration, the love they felt towards the other, the guilt the feels just kept rolling like a domino effect, the ending yeah I'm not sure about that ending because of the follow up to that soooooo I really really need that next book..

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Profile Image for Pavlina Read more sleep less blog  .
2,434 reviews4,562 followers
4-4,5 STARS

"We rob banks, steal cars, and outrun an entire nation of jaded fucks.
Chaos is our marriage certificate.
Mayhem is the bond that keeps us together."

I have to admit that I was a little hesitant with this book. Since I've never read anything by this author, I had no idea what to expect. I was nervous, yet excited to see how this story would come together. What did I find, you ask? A unique story that was so incredibly different from whatever I have read before! I absolutely loved the writing, the fast pace and the characters.

description

I loved Low and Poesy, their relationship is so intense.I could feel everything and I felt like I was a part of them. Their love is so strong and so real!!!Poesy was devoted to Low and she supported him in whatever he was doing.She gives up everything in her life to be with Low. I loved Low. Simply loved him.

Even though I enjoyed the story I'm not sure how I feel about the ending. Maybe I was expecting something else..So even though I have mixed feelings about the ending, it doesn't take away how much I enjoyed this book. And honestly, I couldn't see it ending any other way. Now I'm eager to read all of Mary's books! If you are looking for something unique then you should definitely check this one out.

*An advance reading copy was generously provided to me in exchange for an honest review.*

Profile Image for Mary Elizabeth.
Author 18 books1,697 followers
Want to read
October 4, 2020
"Even after the last word, my pulse raced with uncontrollable emotions. Hands down, a MUST-READ book!" - EK Blair, NYT Bestselling Author

"If you love heart stopping romance and want to be swept up in a story with a difference then do not hesitate to pick this one up. These two young lovers were guilty of stealing our heart." - Totally Booked Book Blog

"One of the most captivating, engrossing, thrilling, unputdownable reads that I've read in a LONG time! FIVE STARS!" - Maryse's Book Blog

"Wow! Low. Read it. Love it. Savor it. One crazy ride that you won't want to end. So incredible, so perfectly imperfect. Mary hit a home run with this one!" - Schmexy Girl Book Blog

"If you're looking for a fast paced story that will keep you on the edge of your seat, one that will make you think, make you feel, make you fall in love AND is exquisitely written, pick up Low! A 5 star favorite for me!" - Christy Baldwin, GoodreadsTop Reviewer/BookBabes Unite Book Blog

"Low isn't like every other book on the market and that's what I love. I loved that it stays with me. I loved that I could feel the love and chemistry between the characters. I seriously loved everything about this story." - Reading is Sexy Book Blog

"Raw, real, gut wrenching and intense, Low by Mary Elizabeth has made me believe in a new kind of happily ever after. 5 stars isn't enough for this book." - Rachel Brookes, Bestselling Author

"Low will go on my list of top favorite reads!" - United Indie Book Blog

"The novel is punctuated with beautiful moments of tenderness and honesty hidden between scenes of violence and desperation that serve to prove what a gifted storyteller Mary Elizabeth is and will continue to evolve into." - Amber Johnson, Amazon Bestselling Author

"This was a brilliant book that kept me turning those pages well into the night until I finished and when I knew what was coming my heart raced like I was part of the story." - Eye Candy Bookstore

"Low is a wildly unique love story that dares you to lose your heart. It's a heart-pounding action romance that features amazing anti-heros that I highly recommend." -Debra Anastasia, Amazon Bestselling Author

"Low is perfection at its best." - Dani Hart

"Think Romeo and Juliet meets Bonnie and Clyde. Just epic!" -The Real Housewives of Romance Book Blog

Profile Image for E.K. Blair.
Author 25 books3,102 followers
December 23, 2015
This book! OMG, this book is everything. Such an original story laced with crime, passion, hope, and despair. It'll have you questioning where your morals stand in the battle between right and wrong. LOW is so much more than a love story, but, holy hell, what a love story it is! Boundless and beautiful where beauty shouldn't be, but it's there! It's raw, real, and unforgiving. This book had me cringing, swooning, on the edge of my seat with my heart pounding. At times I couldn't read fast enough and times I couldn't read slow enough, because the words were so beautiful and poetic. Mary Elizabeth can write like no other. Her words are magic, I'm sure of it. They are powerful in the most gentle way and can turn the ugliest of situations into fragile wisps that pull on your heartstrings. The emotions I felt were tangible; I felt them in my heart and gut, I saw them as they fell from my cheeks. Even after the last word, my pulse raced with uncontrollable emotions. Hands down, a MUST-READ book!
Profile Image for AleJandra.
821 reviews415 followers
August 28, 2018
5 Even crooks dream STARS

Este es uno de esos libros que NO disfrutas, pero que se quedan en tu corazón para siempre.

description

Me esta costando mucho realizar esta reseña. Por que cada que pienso en la historia de Low y Poe siento un nudo en la garganta y apenas si puedo contener las lagrimas.

description

Este es el tercer libro de Mary Elizabeth que leo, y al igual (o peor) que con la biología de Dusty, esta historia es tan realista que te dan ganas de que no lo sea. Es una historia de amor intensa y desgarradora.

Es un libro corto, pero los sentimientos y reflexiones son innumerables, además me parecio muy novedosa.

Bueno no es 100 % original, ya que el libro esta inspirado en la historia de Bonny and Clyde, pero la verdad yo nunca había leído una novella que se asemeje a esta.

Tenemos a un criminal, que sabe que lo que hace esta mal, pero que no tienen otra opción que hacerlo, no es un típico chico malo disfrutando de lo que hace, es un chavo que sufre y vive con la culpa y el remordimiento de sus acciones. La historia de Low me rompió el corazón tanto, y la escritura es tan intensa que cuando la historia menciona que pasa hambre, enserio sentía gruñir mi estomago por lo mucho que empatice con el protagonista.

"Guilty of my father’s crimes and culpable for being born underprivileged on the wrong side of the tracks, I was considered a criminal before I ever broke a law."
description

Esta es una de esas historias donde pones todo a favor y deseas que el criminal se salga con la suya, pero bueno la realidad no funciona así.

Me tarde dos días en animarme a leer las ultimas 5 paginas porque presentía que la historia no terminaría con final feliz.

“We had one hell of a ride. We gave each other a wonderful life, right? Not many people have done what we have, Low. ”

description

El estilo de escritura de la autora ya esta bien definido, tiene varias marcas distintivas que me gustan mucho, cuando usa adjetivos como una especie de nicknames, no se como explicarlo pero si ya han leído algún libro de esta autora seguro me entenderán.

No creo que tenga la fuerza para leer la historia desde la perspectiva de Poe.

description
Profile Image for Olga therebelreader.
888 reviews669 followers
January 24, 2016
This was a good read but not a compelling one. I had really high hopes for it. It was kind of average in every aspect, plotline, sex, romance. It started fine, then somehow went south. I believe that the plotline was not enough realistic, for example that characteristic cross tattoo under Low’s eye wasn’t covered somehow during the robberies or while Low and Poesy were on the run (with masks on or not), or the money from the robberies was not wisely spent. Hunger and poverty pushed them into crime but there was almost no reference on the state’s support (food rations). Also, I felt no chemistry between the characters and the sex scenes, when we finally got to them were fairly well written. If you're willing to overlook a few plot gaps, the story itself is interesting.

photo dark-red-rose-galaxy_735427 jpeg 2_zpsbwamy7g9.jpg

ARC was given to me in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for S.M. West.
Author 33 books1,053 followers
5 “I’m here with you” STARS

photo LOW3_zps2psll2xh.jpg

This was my first Mary Elizabeth read and I'm in awe. I like real, raw, beautiful disarray and this was all of that. I felt so much with this story and was constantly torn between right and wrong because life isn’t that simple and the forces at work can make a man with a good heart do bad things.

photo Low_zpsgktimkw4.jpg

Lowen (Low) Seely is born into a hard, depressing and desolate life that very few ever escape. And for many, it's not for a lack of dreaming or trying but rather the harsh reality that society doesn't make it easy. He's from the dark side of the Southland with a father incarcerated for life and a mother doing her best to make ends meet for him and his younger sister. Being the "man" in the family, from a very young age, when life gives you very few opportunities and means will make you desperate and reckless.

photo Low2_zps0qz5fdyg.jpg

Poesy (Poe) Ashby is drawn to Low and doesn't care about rich or poor, right or wrong, or anything else but being with him. And for Low, Poe is IT. She makes life worth living and despite all the darkness and hopelessness surrounding them, with her, it's worth it.

photo LOW4_zps9vr8tbcs.jpg

I consumed this story in one sitting. I couldn’t put it down. And while it’s definitely a modern day Bonnie and Clyde story, it’s original, consuming and poignant.

And Mary Elizabeth’s words…were just beautifully poetic. I highlighted dozens of pages as her captivating words unfolded this heartbreaking, disquieting and beautifully chaotic love story. Here are just some of the quotes that had me breathless:

“Rose thorns and grass clippings, bus rides and forbidden kisses.”

“I shredded innocence with heavy threats and killed hopes with gunfire.”

“Panic is guilt’s favorite companion, tag-teaming sanity and heart until I can’t think clearly or rationalize.”

If you're up for a wild ride that will you have you on the edge of your seat, holding your breath, hoping for the best but preparing for the worst, you have to read Low!!

** ARC provided by author in exchange for an honest review. **

For more reviews and blog posts.

Profile Image for Hulya Kara Yuksel.
881 reviews1,058 followers
January 25, 2019
-3,5 stars-

Even crooks love.

“Tell me a story, Poe. Say something important.”

Profile Image for Mistress.
396 reviews91 followers
February 23, 2016
Oh my goodness! I have never experienced a book like this. Low is a true masterpiece. I’m sitting here in tears, somehow devastated, but also elated. I'm smiling, I'm crying, my heart is breaking, even still, I'm happy and peaceful. I feel like I’ve taken the ride of my life and man, was it a rush! I have never read a book like this before. Low is unique, one-of-a-kind, set apart, original. The writing is beyond phenomenal. The words are lyrical and beautiful. There's a reason Mary Elizabeth is my favorite author. You just can't shake her stories. There's not a chance in the world that you are going to blur her story lines with anyone else’s. It takes great talent to write about unpleasant things such as crime, poverty, and death, but somehow make the words sing like an unforgettable ballad. This book made me experience every emotion I can think of. The anxiety this story induced, caused me to lose my breath, the excitement kept me on the edge of my seat. I could not put this story down. The love between Lowen and Posey is something I wish I could experience in my lifetime. The devotion that they have for each other is what people dream about. Their story is gut-wrenching. This book has opened my eyes to what other people might be going through. Not everyone has it easy in life. Even in all of their criminal ways, Low and Posey still showed love and kindness to others. I will never forget this story, it has touched me down deep. There are good books, there are great books, and then there are Mary Elizabeth's books. She is on a completely different playing field, in my opinion. I honestly cannot recommend this book highly enough. It has easily gone down as one of my all-time favorites. Wow, the only adequate word to describe this story, is wow. What an exciting, adventurous, thrilling, heartbreaking, love-filled, journey. I enjoyed this book immensely. Read this one, I promise you won't regret it.

"Even crooks love."
Profile Image for FMABookReviews.
635 reviews392 followers
July 6, 2016
❝Give me something to run to when this is over.❞

Mary Elizabeth is a word wizard.

I love when authors use words purposefully. When they don't just toss a few on a page and call it good. Mary Elizabeth's word choice was intentional. Her sentences, exquisitely descriptive. Her paragraphs, like poetry. It was a dichotomy really, as the writing was beautiful and lyrical, yet the story was serious and at times, depressing.
❝CAR ALARMS, POLICE sirens, and heavy beats litter the air in a ghetto symphony. The setting sun paints the sky in purples and pinks under a thick blanket of gray smog, casting my shadow on graffiti-marked walls as I stroll by on dirty sidewalks.❞

Lowen - Low -, was born into poverty and bad luck. The son of a drug addict and murderer, and a mother who was well-intentioned, yet unable to improve their circumstances.

Poesy - Poe -, was born into middle class and unto neglectful parents who were more concerned with their own lives and circumstances, than they were their daughter who didn't fit into their box of ideals.

In Low, Poe finds excitement, danger and like-minded thinking. Low finds unconditional love in Poe and acceptance. Both willing to do anything to survive, they are intensely obsessed with one another. Narcissistic and in love, they will do anything to stay in their love-induced bubble.

Low finds his good intentions at an honest life thwarted by circumstance and pressure from Poe. He may have wanted to ride the good and honest road, but for a convicted felon that isn't easy. Couple that with a girl who is more than willing to push boundaries and thrives on the energy it produces, Low's battle for redemption was lost.
❝Happiness does come with money. Power is in the barrel of my gun. There’s no respect in thievery, but there is control. It’s my favorite part.❞

I didn't like Poe!

I didn't. I couldn't. The irony is I felt she was more of a bad influence on Low, than the convicted felon was on her. I believe he would have fought to do the right thing, maybe even succeeded had it not been for her.

I did like Low. I could feel and appreciate his intense sense of obligation to those he loved. He battled with right and wrong. He lived on the edge with guilt eating away at him. But he was a survivor and in love. This meant doing whatever needed to be done in order to protect the ones he loved.

Bonnie and Clyde

This isn't the first modern-day Bonnie and Clyde story I have read. But it is one of the best. The character development was superb. Mary Elizabeth slowly transformed (or revealed) Poe into the girl I loved to hate. My first impression of her was that of a sweet naive girl. What we find, is she is anything but. This lent validity to the story and showed how and why she did the things she did.

Lowen and Poesy had an intense relationship, deep love and total commitment to one another. I felt sad for them and angry with them for the choices they made. Reminding me that all-too-often, intelligence and common sense are not necessarily utilized gifts.

Terrific writing, well-developed characters and solid plot made Low a 5 star read for me!

goodreads banner
Profile Image for Syndi.
2,835 reviews624 followers
November 3, 2021
I am a mess after finished listening to Low. My heart breaks. Especially for Low since the book is told from his POV. His love and devotion for Poesy is just so beautiful. He die for Poesy. His love, his partner in crime, his half of himself. Their romance is so touching.
Do not get me wrong, Miss Elizabeth did not give her readers that OTT cheesy romance. But raw, gritty, heart breaking journey of 2 lonely and misunderstood characters to find their redemption/ peace.

Life is harsh and unfair for both of them. I want to hug them both and give them shelter. Shelter from the chaos and the craziness of their life. The scene where Low called his mother, really break my heart.
This is my first read by Miss Elizabeth. I am looking forward for her other book.

5 stars
Profile Image for Gitte TotallyBookedBlog.
1,947 reviews937 followers
November 26, 2016

✯✯✯✯1/2 stars

‘I live for the way she lightly bites my tongue when we kiss, and wish I were a better man every time she whispers, “I love you” against my lips.’

What a ride!! We spent most of this book in a state of nervous anticipation with our eyes covered, breaths held and tightly gripping our Kindles as Poesy and Low, two people who loved with honesty, passion and reckless abandon went from one calamitous dangerous situation to the next.

Mary Elizabeth certainly made us feel this story as we experienced the despair, the desperation and the hopelessness of Low and Poesy’s situation first hand. Her beautifully descriptive prose made it so we were able to smell the pungent stench in the air, see the degradation of their surroundings, and feel the thump of their heartbeats as we became willing, or unwilling participants in their crime spree with our hearts in our mouths, our minds in a whir and sitting in awe over the impeccable, unique and incredibly poetic beauty of this authors storytelling.

“Tell me a story, Poe. Say something important.”

Mary Elizabeth humanised these criminals and whilst we questioned and judged their actions, ultimately we found ourselves empathising with two young lovers driven by a desperate need to survive. Their decision wasn’t borne out of greed, but by sheer, bone deep desperation and we felt every inch of that first hand as our hearts ached for Poesy and Low.

“I can’t give you more than this, don’t sentence yourself to a life of poverty because you love me, Poe. You can do better than some petty fucking felon."
“Don’t say that to me, Low. I love our life. I love you.”

When you are pushed to your limits, when every corner produces yet another dead end, when life is bleak and shows no promise, when you are prejudged as a criminal with no future you could be forced to make questionable decisions and that is exactly what faced Poesy and Low. They couldn’t see a way out of the misery they were living, finding comfort only in each other.

‘Guilty of my father’s crimes and culpable for being born underprivileged on the wrong side of the tracks, I was considered a criminal before I ever broke the law.’

This modern day Bonnie and Clyde brought to mind some of our favourite crime movies such as Natural Born Killers, Kalifornia, True Romance mixed in with the Robbers video by 1975 and all brought together in a gripping and sublimely told story by an incredibly talented author who never gave us a minute to catch our breath.

We couldn’t put this book down and hung in there for every heart pounding moment and rooted for these young lovers with all our hearts, never giving up hope in their hopelessness, however we did have a couple of issues that affected our overall enjoyment of Low. We would love to have experienced the build of their relationship prior to where it picked up in Low. To have lived it rather than read about it in past tense would have taken our feelings to whole other level. As the book progressed we did feel the depth and strength of their love but felt we needed more ‘before.’. We believe there is a prequel due out in April we hope will provide the backstory we desperately craved in Low. The term of endearments used in the book irritated us sadly. Having them refer to each other as ‘boy’ and ‘girl’ wore thin yet we know for most, this won’t be an issue but for us it was and again, it was a small annoyance in an otherwise gem of a story.

“I can’t be anywhere else other than with you, Lowen, no matter what happens, we stay together.”

♥ ♥ ♥

Come say hi and follow us at:
TotallybookedBlog
TB on Facebook
TB on Twitter
TB on Pinterest

Profile Image for Jenny - TotallybookedBlog.
1,786 reviews2,011 followers
January 30, 2016

4 1/2 stars

“Tell me a story, Poe. Say something important.”

“Don’t say that to me, Low. I love our life. I love you.”

♥ ♥ ♥

Come say hi and follow us at:
TotallybookedBlog
TB on Facebook
TB on Twitter
TB on Pinterest

Profile Image for Donna ~ The Romance Cover.
2,756 reviews312 followers
Low (Low #1) by Mary Elizabeth
4 stars!!

“Chaos is our marriage certificate. Mayhem is the bond that keeps us together.”

This was one of those books where I read the majority of the book with my heart in my mouth and on the edge of my seat so kudos to Mary Elizabeth for delivering an intense read that I couldn’t put down. To keep a reader’s attention for that long in such a heightened level of anticipation and dread is no mean feat. I literally have no fingernails left at all!!

Another aspect that Mary Elizabeth delivered is a situation whereby you find yourself rooting for the bad guys…the criminals. You become so attached to them and they embed themselves so deep within your heart that even though you do not condone what they do you find yourself wanting them to get away with it. Sometimes though, desperate times call for desperate measures.

“Guilty of my father’s crimes and culpable for being born underprivileged on the wrong side of the tracks, I was a criminal before I ever broke a law.”

This is a modern adaptation of Bonnie and Clyde, a couple on a crime spree and evading the law. But these two are by no means evil people, they mean no malice and they really don’t have a bad bone in their body but they find themselves a victim of circumstance, victims of the ever increasing poverty line in America.

Low had to grow up at an early age, his family lived in poverty in a run down, destitute area where criminals and druggies were rife and you could easily succumb to the depressive, drug induced state of everyone else around you. But Low had a sense of responsibility, after his father was imprisoned he had to look after his mum and his little sister and he took his responsibility to them incredibly seriously.

Poesy was a beautiful character, but underneath that girl next door charm was quite a feisty, strong woman. Low was their lawn boy, to earn money to support his mum and sister, but Low and Poesy fall in love and while some may say it was that puppy love, an infatuation with the bad boy, for these two it was serious, is was the be all and end all and I felt it.

I adored the relationship that Low and Poesy had. They loved each other, supported each other and would do anything for the other, even if that meant bending the rules or totally smashing them to smithereens. They tried their hardest to survive, to better themselves, to make something of themselves but prejudices and the economic climate had other ideas and so Bonnie and Clyde or the “44 Bandits” were born.

“I don’t fuck the criminal out of her. I fuck it into her.”

Mary Elizabeth certainly has a flair for writing and it was this that totally captivated me with Low and Poesy’s story. That visceral feeling I had throughout while reading, that deep seated sense of dread within my guts and my emotional well-being hanging on by a thread are all testament to Mary Elizabeth’s written words. The flow was perfect, the drama and angst kept those pages turning while the battle of love and survival had your heart melting too. I have to admit I am still a bit confused by the ending but at the end of the day it was the end of the road…

www.theromancecover.com
Profile Image for Angela (Reading Frenzy Book Blog).
932 reviews440 followers
September 14, 2016
Ohmygosh! This book! I freely admit I’m an angst whore, but Low takes angst to a whole new level. It is, without a doubt, the most anxiety-producing novel I’ve ever read. At one point I had to reach out and phone a friend. (Thanks, Christy, for the hand holding.)

I’ve never rooted for criminals so hard in my life, but I’ll be damned if I wasn’t behind Lowen and Poesy every step of the way. How could I not feel for a man who always tries to do the right thing, despite the crap hand life continually deals him? At least he has Poesy by his side—ever faithful, ever brave, ever loving, ever cheery. It seems like the harder they fight to stay afloat, though, the more desperate their situation becomes. Despite their circumstances, they are generous and determined.

The quality of Mary Elizabeth’s writing is exceptional, and I’m blown away by the complexity of the characters she created in Low and Poesy. This story had the power to incite such conflicting emotions within me that it stole my breath. That said, it is a tough read that may not be for everyone. It’s gritty, raw, somewhat slow in places, and honestly kind of depressing. What a rollercoaster though! I’ll definitely be reading more work by Mary Elizabeth.

I listened audio book with excellent narration by Aaron Shedlock.

Reading Frenzy Book Blog
Profile Image for Michelle.
2,101 reviews1,253 followers
January 31, 2016
ARC provided by author in exchange for an honest review

photo 7b08afae3feff6832f0a396e810ab8_zpsaonj69ez.gif

OMFG!!!!!!! I am in LOVE. In love with Mary Elizabeth and her beautiful words and storyline. In love with her ability to make a story original, full of heart, and make you beg for more. I am in LOVE with her raw characters. I am in love with LOW.

photo e9dd70010c63d4099ce73ba6c62887_zpsdfb4womj.gif “My crimes have never been victimless, but as a kid from the hood, when welfare wasn’t enough, I did what I had to do to help my family get by. ”

So how can this one book make me fall hard. It's simple. LOW was so much more than a bad boy from the wrong side of the tracks falling in love. This book was about the raw, realistic, poignant tale of a young man who was desperate. Desperate to put food on the table. Desperate to have a roof over his head. Desperate to live. Desperate to SURVIVE.

#LOW_1

Lowen Seely was a young man who had to fight in order to survive the harsh and gritty reality of life. His life was not the perfect house with the white picket fence. His life revolved around having just enough spare change for measly crumbs. His life was made up blood, sweat, and tears. And when Lowen made that choice to steal for a jar of peanut butter and bread, his life was forever changed when he knew he assaulted the store owner. Lowen Seely is a criminal with a record. When Lowen served his time in prison, there was one thing that meant the world to him. His girl.

photo e9dd70010c63d4099ce73ba6c62887_zpsdfb4womj.gif “Before I met and fell in love with Poe, my mother and sister were my only sources of security. The sound of their voices, the comfort in their touch, and the force of their unconditional affection gave me reason and determination to hustle another day. After her husband’s conviction, my mom was left with filthy-faced kids, a broken heart, and not a cent to her name. ”

Posey Ashby loved Lowen Seely with all her heart. She didn't see a bad boy. She didn't see an uneducated man. She didn't see a criminal. What she saw was the boy who owned her heart. The boy who loved her fiercely. The boy who saved her. The boy that gave her the reason to breathe and wake up each morning. The boy who brought light into her life. The boy who has a beautiful heart. The boy that she loved.

photo e9dd70010c63d4099ce73ba6c62887_zpsdfb4womj.gif “The boy doesn’t realize he saved the girl, because before she met him, she was trapped, kept by parents who never cared.” Poesy sobs. Her small frame shakes, and blood streams down her back like exposed veins. “This boy was the first person to ever make the girl feel beautiful and needed and loved.”

Poesy Ashby is the definition of ride or die. She stood by Low's side no matter what even while he was in prison serving his time. So when Low was done serving his time, Posey and Low thought that they could finally live their life together. But when it became difficult to get by financially, Low and Posey begins to experience the financial hardships. For Low, it was hard for him to see his girl struggling with school and work. And it also didn't help that job opportunities for ex-cons were limited since many people saw the bad boy with a tattoo on his face and a criminal record. And so when Lowen and Posey reached rock bottom, they did the only thing that knew they had to do. They made the choice to rob banks.

#LOW_2

photo e9dd70010c63d4099ce73ba6c62887_zpsdfb4womj.gif “Tell me a story, Poe. Say something important.”“There’s a boy who loves a girl, he might think he loves her more than she loves him, but the truth is they love each other the same.”

The choice to rob a bank is not the ideal situation to solve any problems but they were desperate. Desperate to survive the harsh reality of living on the wrong side of the tracks. Though I will not make any excuses for their choice, I will say that Low and Posey was written in such a way that made you FEEL for them. Feel their guilt. Feel their love. Feel their heartbreak. Feel their vulnerabilities and insecurities. Feel their fears.

photo e9dd70010c63d4099ce73ba6c62887_zpsdfb4womj.gif “She tells him over and over she doesn’t want to go, but the boy is always trying to get rid of her. ‘It’s for your own good ,’ he says. But what the boy doesn’t know is that by sending her away, he would kill the girl. The girl knows what’s best for her, and that’s the boy. Even when she cries. Even when she’s in pain. The girl knows, Lowen, and I know what you’re thinking, but you can’t send me away. Please, don’t leave me alone again.”

What truly made me LOVE this book was how Mary Elizabeth brilliantly made the story of Lowen and Posey so raw. There was no hidden facade. Mary Elizabeth stripped her readers to see that Low and Posey are flawed. They made their own choice. Right or wrong they made a choice that they own 100%. And most importantly, Mary Elizabeth allowed her readers to see beyond the criminal acts but see that even crooks love, regret, dream, and break. Even crooks like Low and Posey are capable to have TRUE LOVE. A love that will forever be etched and tattooed on their hearts, mind, body and soul. An unforgettable love. And most importantly even crooks can have love that is worth dying and fighting for.

photo e9dd70010c63d4099ce73ba6c62887_zpsdfb4womj.gif “Somewhere I won’t be a felon, and she won’t be the girl stupid enough to love one. Even crooks see the bright side.”

#LOW

LOW was utterly addicting and beautiful. Mary Elizabeth paints a literary tale of beauty, grit, raw emotions, and a palpable love story that will have you falling hard for crooks. Yes, even crooks love. Though this is my first Mary Elizabeth book, this definitely won't be my last. I loved how Mary Elizabeth can write a fresh modern twist to Bonnie & Clyde and have readers begging for more. Mary Elizabeth wrote a book that held readers like my hostage as we were wrapped up in a whirlwind of raw emotions. I love that this book is not your typical bad boy romance but a story that was built on the foundations of family, desperation, survival, and love. So if you are ready to fall hard for crooks, then I highly recommend you to read LOW by Mary Elizabeth and get lost in her gorgeous prose.

photo 4bf17ebf3b134285c4cdcd89c23a0d_zpsbaobrtso.gif

Review can also be found on Four Chicks Flipping Pages: http://fourchicksflippingpages.weebly...Mary Elizabeth
Profile Image for ♥☆SℓιM☆♥.
1,372 reviews95 followers
March 18, 2017
Low (Low, #1) by Mary Elizabeth by Mary Elizabeth

***Spoliers? yes? no? maybe>>>>>> ***

Dude this book was good. It had taken me awhile to finish.

I think they would've gotten away if Posey wouldn't have walk in the bank when he was about to walk out and get shot. And then after her tail get shot she removes her ski-mask like really girl? Then he does the same thing when he sees she got shot smh. Now they're on the run, and people knows their faces."

The second time was when he took her to shoot, and they almost got caught, her tail wanting to explore and stuff that what messed them up.

The third time, was when that female thought she was going to get that reward she lucky Lowen didn't blow her head off. Lol.

As it got to the ending with his foot is on the pedal I'm like omg they're going to die:0, but then I'm like did they die? The ending had me lost, so I will assume that Lowen and Posey died. I didn't want them to do that was so sad. They were Bonnie and Clyde in this book for real. I thought it was cute that they died together. The policemen suck lol they had Lowen in their possession and still didn't get him, and all those people were standing out there to watch what will happen to them. it was crazy to even have kids out there. Very weird but I enjoy this, but it was worth reading even though it was a bit slow in the beginning.

Low *
Mary Elizabeth
Profile Image for Andrea.
211 reviews45 followers
February 5, 2016
I am sure it's not the book, it's just me. There is literally nothing that is wrong with this story. The writing is beautiful, the story is interesting however for some reason I personally couldn’t get into it and didn't feel the chemistry or the connection between Low and Poesy. I guess it's just not my cup of tea.
Profile Image for Elle aka Leftie aka Shoebelle.
630 reviews122 followers
February 21, 2016
*ARC received from author/publisher via blog tour*

4.5 ★

I knew there's a reason why I was gravitating towards this book... *exhales* need to let emotions settle back a bit...

I tend to stay away from reads like this -- young characters and lots of angst. But for some reason, the cover grabbed me as soon as I laid eyes on it. Then the blurb intrigued me equally.

The blurb gives you an idea of what you're in for. A Bonnie-and-Clyde-esque story.

My heart broke repeatedly for these kids, especially Low; the cards that they're dealt with, it's a reality for some, unfortunately. I wasn't condoning their actions and decisions, yet I found myself doing so at the same time, unconsciously, I think.

It's definitely not a light read. This is told completely from Low's POV. In doing so, I felt every ounce of his desperation and hopelessness about their situation, and his love for Poe. In an ideal world, no youth should ever go through what Low went thru bec that means we failed as a society. In reality, we actually have, and I guess Low, in a way, is a representation of those youth. I think Mary Elizabeth captured that reality perfectly, to some degree. Again, I'm not saying that their option is the only option. I'm just saying that whatever Low was feeling is real. As for Poe, while I didn't fully connect with her, her feelings for Low felt real.

I'm tellling you, I was nervous early on. Anyone could see the writing on the wall not long after their story started. And while there's some predictability in the way the story was laid out and a certain cliché feel to the events, the writing still hooked me in and got me on tenterhooks, right til the end. Somehow the words were still beautiful in all its despair, if that makes sense... I couldn't tell where Mary will take these kids. And while the ending may or may not be to my liking, I appreciate the way she ended it.

This is a first Mary Elizabeth read for me. And it won't be the last.
Profile Image for E.M. Abel.
Author 8 books586 followers
February 25, 2016
I fuckin LOVED this book.
It was fresh.
It was real.
It was raw.
And the story was a beautiful one.

Mary Elizabeth hit this one out of the park. I felt this shit. It moved me. And it's rare to find books that do those things anymore.

I highly recommend it.

Favorite quotes:
"she's struggling under the pressure of the life she chose by choosing me."

"We did this together and anything we do together is right, Low."

"She's mastered keeping a blank face, sinking hurtful inability lower than an unmarked grave."

"Don't sentence yourself to a life of poverty because you love me, Poe."

"People like us aren't meant to be caged, by bars, or world order. Our culture is anarchy, unbound by borders and laws, incapable to conform..."
Profile Image for Ellen ✦ Book Bellas ✦.
1,529 reviews330 followers
February 2, 2016
4.5 STARS!!

"Freedom is so close I can taste its bitterness on the tip of my tongue.:

What a stunning story!! I adored this tortured tale of Low and Poesy, two star-crossed lovers who spend much of the book on the run from the authorities after a string of bank robberies. It is a tribute to the talent of Mary Elizabeth that you actually feel tremendous sympathy for Low, the poor boy from the wrong side of the tracks whose life seems doomed from the first page.

Low has the misfortune to have a criminal for a father and to be dirt-poor. A petty crime lands him in prison with hardened criminals who teach him how to rob banks. When he is released, he tries desperately to live on the right side of the law. But poverty, hunger and sheer desperation drive him to a string of crimes, with the loyal Poesy right by his side. She is absolutely devoted to him.

"I'm here," she chose in a for-sure tone. "We did this together, and anything we do together is right, Low."

I spent most of this book on the edge of my seat, in a constant state of anxiety for the handsome, sad Low and his beautiful Poesy. He is desperate to live a simple, normal life. Low is not at all greedy, but he just wants to be able to eat, help Poesy with school and help his own family. They seem doomed from the start but they overcome so many obstacles that I was cheering for them throughout the book.

LOW is a fast-paced, very gritty story that is incredibly addictive. This was my first book by Mary Elizabeth and I am in love with her writing style!! I loved LOW and I hope for more about these two unforgettable characters.

Favorite quote:

(ARC provided by the author in return for an honest review.)

Displaying 1 - 30 of 366 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.