Start by marking “Intelligence: All That Matters” as Want to Read:
Intelligence: All That Matters

Intelligence: All That Matters

(All That Matters)

There is a strange disconnect between the scientific consensus and the public mind on intelligence testing. Just mention IQ testing in polite company, and you'll sternly be informed that IQ tests don't measure anything "real", and only reflect how good you are at doing IQ tests; that they ignore important traits like "emotional intelligence" and "multiple intelligences";

Published June 18th 2015 by Hodder & Stoughton

To ask other readers questions about Intelligence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Intelligence

Start your review of Intelligence: All That Matters
nostalgebraist
Nov 07, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfic-psych
Picture now, with me, a very-slightly-alternate universe.

In this other universe, most things are just as they are in ours. Humans themselves are no different. But the other universe differs from ours in one respect -- the way that its scientists conceive of physical fitness.

In our universe, we know -- in a casual, non-scientific (if not unscientific) way -- that there is such a thing as physical fitness. Some people are more fit than others. We recognize different levels of fitness, and refer to
Jurij Fedorov
Feb 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Pro: Good and very compact overview over intelligence and what we know about it. It's very basic and only mentions the facts and sources. No long discussions or extra facts on all the different areas. All areas except race are covered. So it's a great introduction to intelligence that everyone should read. Even though it skips a whole area of the science.

Con: Not always interesting to read it besides of the knowledge in it. No personal stories about the author, no funny anecdotes or wordplays
Emil O. W. Kirkegaard
Aug 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psych
The general verdict is that it is probably the best go to book for introducing someone to intelligence and related research now. It's somewhat better than Deary's similar, but somewhat dated (2001) book, and it's less technical than Gottfredson's great 1997 article, and much shorter than The Bell Curve, which is also notably dated by now.

Full review here: http://emilkirkegaard.dk/en/?p=6122
Steve
Apr 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Super short book about Intelligence and IQ tests, very well organized, well written. I’m not convinced it tells the whole story, but it seems like a good summary. I’d like to see a bigger more detailed version of the book, published by a mainstream publisher, so I could also read critical/thoughtful reviews.
Michael
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
A bit too celebratory of social stratification based on innate qualities.
Jayesh
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
A good short intro to research on intelligence and influence of various factors like genetics and education.
Sandy Maguire
May 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
It's a quick, interesting read. I've found myself estimating the IQ of people around me since reading it; though I'm not sure that's necessarily good for me or my relationships. Nevertheless, it's fun, and I wouldn't be doing it if I hadn't read this book. Give it a go, it will only take an hour or two, and you'll probably come away knowing a thing or two.
Cam Lidstone
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
A great introduction to intelligence and related research. Short, well-written, and non-technical, although it deftly communicates important (and sometimes subtle) statistical concepts.

Ritchie understandably skips over the toxic and scandal-prone area of intelligence differences between groups.

I'm not a cognitive psychology scholar, but Ritchie seems to make another important omission for an introductory book. Namely, when discussing the effects of education, he fails to address the issue of
Jarin Jove
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is useful in clearing away misconceptions about intelligence research that have been popularized in Social Media and Liberal-leaning media outlets. One of the most shocking facts presented in this book is Howard Gardner's Multiple Intelligences has no basis in scientific research; at best, Musical Intelligence may be different from General Intelligence (G-Factor) but there are mixed results even there from the scientific studies. Studies on the so-called Multiple Intelligences has ...more
Willy C
Nov 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
A short and lucid introduction to the science of intelligence and IQ. He sticks to the consensus views on the field, is very accessible, and has a nice section at the end detailing further sources of information, ranging from authors to books to papers, all neatly arranged in categories.

For anyone interested in the importance of IQ-- this is the best place to start. For anyone looking for more in-depth or obscure information on IQ, look elsewhere. This is an introduction, not a deep dive. He
Patrick
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of the more important books I’ve read in my life. Very disquieting, as it starkly informed me of the limits of self-improvement and education. I wish genius was a matter of effort, for then I could become a genius if only I tried hard enough! Sadly, there seems to be hard genetic limits, resistant to any modern form of remediation, on our intelligence. Until somatic gene therapy comes along, we are what we are, and much of what we are can be summed up pretty neatly by three cruel digits.
Lucy
Dec 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a really well written introduction to intelligence and IQ. Intelligently written, well structured and full of evidence-based information. What impressed me the most was the author's scientific approach to the evidence - particularly his treatment of uncertainty, which is sadly lacking in many such books. I also loved the "alternative" reading list at the end. Definitely recommended!
Cyrus Xi
Jan 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-improvement
An excellent introduction to intelligence, how it matters, and why various misconceptions are misconceptions. Studies & references galore.
Prerna
May 17, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not my favourite book to say the least. There were too many facts and information that I got bored and it didn't help my position paper topic.
Bob In
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
From reading Intelligence, subtitle All That Matters. Stuart Ritchie. McGraw-Hill, 2015. ISBN 9 781444 791877

In the 1960s, the Norwegian government (p 92) decided to add two extra years to the mandatory curriculum for all pupils.Two additional pieces of good luck allowed researches, who came on the scene much later, to turn this into a test of the effects of schooling on IQ.

First, the reform was implemented across the different parts of Norway in a staggered way – it happened in some areas
Riley Haas
Aug 05, 2019 rated it liked it
I am of a generation where skepticism over IQ was widespread. I don't know where it comes from exactly but I know that it is everywhere. Essentially I was raised with the idea that IQ had been "debunked". The reason I read this book is because I got into an argument with someone and afterwards I did some googling and saw that i appeared to be completely wrong. I saw an article by Ritchie about this topic and then found my way to this book.
So, first, about that subtitle: at no point does the book
Gavin
Jul 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Calm empirical rebuttal to 50 years of politicised ranting and ostriching. Incredibly clearly written, stopping short of off-puttingly plain.

(I wonder: Is the g theory of intelligence the most mature, replicated theory in psychology? 100 years old and ever-replicating; language- and culture-blind by now; predictive of the highest human states and traits... What theories can compete? Operant conditioning, I guess. Libet on readiness potentials. But neither touch all of human life in the way IQ
Eric Dykstra
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
If you've ever heard, or made the argument "IQ tests don't measure anything except how one well performs IQ tests," this book is the counter-argument; a concise introduction to the literature on the subject of general intelligence and the history of intelligence testing. This book is full of references and has an extensive section for further reading on the subject.

Some subjects were kind of glossed over near the end, but that might just have been to keep the book within a certain scope as an
Adam
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Provides a good, brief overview of state-of-the-art research into IQ, g and testing, explaining a lot of misconceptions. I think I understand the debate over it a lot better now. I didn't understand the difference between IQ and g before, so it was helpful. Good, clear, easy writing. Author isn't afraid to admit he doesn't know the answers to some questions when there's no scientific consensus.
Bartley Sharkey
Very interesting book that got straight to the point, without ruminating too much about some of the controversial aspect of IQ and IQ measurement. I came away with a couple of thoughts, like if IQ tends to have some a defining role in people's lives, why does it seem to be mostly ignored and considered so taboo? Or is it something that actually plays a much larger and more defining role in some people's lives?
M. A.
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Gives (what I think is) a good high-level conservative overview of consensus intelligence research and (this is IMO the best part) refers the reader to hundreds of deeper sources if they want to survey the field and its controversy.
Carrie
Aug 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great read. Dr Ritchie covers the scientific as well as the cultural aspects of intelligence research, both of which are necessary in an introduction to such a politically hot topic. I’ve learned a lot, and will continue to do so with the extensive list of recommendations in the back of the book.
Kat Feelzy
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Tomás
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An extremely well written book. It's extremely short and really detailed.
BuchBehandlung
Jun 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Not very novel but does what it states, a well written clear and short introduction to the topic of intelligence.
Máximo Atunga
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great short introduction to research on intelligence and its influence on factors like genetics and education.
Ryan Dash
Sep 15, 2018 rated it liked it
A decent, concise overview of the history of, and the science underlying, IQ tests. I learned quite a bit.
Olivia Townsend
Aug 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned-books
Good and unbiased introduction on intelligence research!
Ioannis Gkikas
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science
An interesting overview of Intelligence, what it means and the misconceptions surrounding it.
Jessica
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very good. Very simple and to the point. A no-nonsense, no politics primer on intelligence research.

• Blueprint: How DNA Makes Us Who We Are
  • The Neuroscience of Intelligence
  • The Elephant in the Brain: Hidden Motives in Everyday Life
  • The Ape that Understood the Universe
  • The Nurture Assumption: Why Children Turn Out the Way They Do
  • The Goodness Paradox: The Strange Relationship Between Virtue and Violence in Human Evolution
  • Who We Are and How We Got Here: Ancient DNA and the New Science of the Human Past
  • The Blank Slate: The Modern Denial of Human Nature
  • Innate: How the Wiring of Our Brains Shapes Who We Are
  • Personality: What Makes You the Way You Are
  • The Bell Curve: Intelligence and Class Structure in American Life
  • The Secret of Our Success: How Culture Is Driving Human Evolution, Domesticating Our Species, and Making Us Smarter
  • Stubborn Attachments: A Vision for a Society of Free, Prosperous, and Responsible Individuals
  • Our Political Nature: The Evolutionary Origins of What Divides Us
  • Global Economic History: A Very Short Introduction
  • The Book of Why: The New Science of Cause and Effect
  • The Righteous Mind: Why Good People Are Divided by Politics and Religion
  • Galileo's Middle Finger: Heretics, Activists, and the Search for Justice in Science

All That Matters (1 - 10 of 47 books)
  • Ancient Egypt: All That Matters
  • Bioethics: All That Matters
  • Buddhism: All That Matters
  • Classical World: All That Matters
  • Cyber Crime & Warfare: All That Matters
“people (to quote the researchers) had achieved an astonishing amount (Kell et al., 2013). They had become high-ranking politicians, CEOs of companies, high-ups in government agencies, distinguished academics, journalists for well-known newspapers, artists and musical directors. They had been awarded patents, grant money and prizes, and had produced plays, novels, and a huge amount of economic value. They had, in other words, made incalculable contributions to society, for everyone’s benefit.” 0 likes
“The fact that, for example, the link between smoking and lung cancer was first discovered by Nazi doctors (Proctor, 2000) doesn’t mean we should tell people that smoking is healthy after all.” 0 likes