Start by marking “Outriders (Outriders, #1)” as Want to Read:
Outriders (Outriders, #1)

Outriders

(Outriders #1)

The start of a Military SF series from imprint best-seller and Tom Clancy game series writer Jay Posey.

Captain Lincoln Suh died on a Wednesday. And things only got harder from there.

Snatched out of special operations and thrown headfirst into a secretive new unit, Lincoln finds himself as the team leader for the 519th Applied Intelligence Group, better known as the Outride
Nook
Published May 3rd 2016 by Angry Robot

To ask other readers questions about Outriders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Outriders

Lindsay
Sep 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
All the small squad military action of The Red: First Light crossed with the solar system political tension of Leviathan Wakes.

Captain Lincoln Suh is the newest team member and leader of the 519th Applied Intelligence Group, the Outriders, a "special" special ops group with almost no oversight, special equipment and "deathproofing". He doesn't even get time to visit his room before he gets sucked into par for the course for the Outriders: a special ops mission to find and stop the people trying
Gary
Aug 26, 2016 rated it it was ok
Outriders is the latest example of a recent trend in science fiction reflecting present day anxieties over terrorism and surveillance state governance. In this iteration, a team of military intelligence agents work to prevent a war between (surprise!) the governments of Earth and Mars.
On the surface, Outriders has all the elements a good MilSF novel should have: nifty gadgets, solid teamwork, individual competence, cat and mouse war games, grunts vs. suits wrangling, military discipline vs. indi
Aug 24, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
This was a four star book with an audio that frustrated the hell out of me. I spent 3/4 of the book completely confused so I pulled out my Kindle copy - yeah, I missed three words that would have made it all make sense. A large part of the problem is that the narrator doesn't do voices at all and there was absolutely nothing to indicate when Lincoln and Vector switched POVs. I spent 3/4 of the book thinking they were the same person.

Also, the description of the audio doesn't match what happens i
Stevie Kincade
(Audiobook) (2.5 stars) I was going to call Outriders "Tom Clancy in Space" but it turns out author Jay Posey actually wrote the dialogue for a lot of the Tom Clancy games...So lets go with "Chillaxed Mission Impossible in Space".

I am not much of a fan of the "Military SF" genre but I wanted to give this a try. I have heard good things and the cover art is badarse.

Our protagonist Lincoln becomes the head of a black ops special forces type squad. He leads his team on a series of missions, heavy o
Luke Taylor
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hall-of-fame
Wildly original and yet somehow so muscular and relatable and tactile, Jay Posey's sci-fi action writing has always been among my favorite in the world and Outriders is no different. It's no wonder that Jay knows his way around action and storytelling, being so much a part of the success of the Tom Clancy games, but with his own stories, Jay's narrative takes on a different tone and matches up not only intense actions sequences that are somehow both bareknuckled and slick at the same time with a ...more
John
Aug 09, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: sf-fantasy
Posey systematically checks off all the boxes for an Armored/ Special Ops in Space/ Forever War type story (except, wisely, he leaves out the gratuitous sex scenes) and has crafted a decent premise, storyline, and cast. BUT...he belongs to the "never use twenty words when 450 will do" school of overwriting, so the pace is foot draggingly slow. Happily, skipping the long paragraphs and just reading around the dialog is enough to compensate. I'd call this a solid "B" and am willing to invest in se ...more
Judy Lesley
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: military-sci-fi
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this military sci-fi novel. The main group of characters are coming together as a cohesive unit of soldiers operating so far under the radar they are almost off the map. Friction is getting hotter between Mars and Earth with war clouds seeming to loom on the horizon. What neither planet knows is that there is manipulation going on behind the scenes to push the two into thinking the other has made first aggressive contact.

The author doesn't go extremely deeply into th
James Cox
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was really good. Great scifi elements, twists and action. Interesting characters too.
Online Eccentric Librarian
May 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, sci-fi

More reviews (and no fluff) on the blog http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

What we have with Outriders is one very well written spy novel that happens to be set in the future. And although there are the typical sci if accouterments (reanimation, space stations, flying automated cars), this really is much more James Bond than Asimov. Author Posey gives us a set of distinct but very likable characters who we want to follow and cheer while they go about their business of (secretly) saving the univ
Kdawg91
Apr 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Ok, Mr. Posey...

I liked the Duskwalker series alot, but now..damnit...now you got me. You reached into the depths of my cobweb and comic book addled brain, took my love for scifi and military action and put it on paper.

Great action, cool characters, great setting and to quote the Joker, wonderful toys to play with! I offically add you to the increasingly large list of authors I buy on sight. (and I got a ARC from the lovely overlords at Angry Robot, and yes I did order it after)

buy this book, bu
Bryan Brown
Mar 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci_fi
OK, as long as you turn off your brain this is a really fun book to read. The action parts especially are extremely well done with a good sense of being with the squad as they deploy and execute in a tactical setting.

The plot though requires otherwise brilliant people to do stupid things. I hate that. It really hit me about half way through the book when I was driving. That was my mistake, I quit reading to go do something else and started thinking about the book.

A critical plot point is set u
Rusty
I had a chance to go to GenCon this year. It’s a table-top gaming convention held in Indianapolis every year. It has a writer’s track as well that I was able to spend a few days hanging around in. I got to see Scott Lynch, and meet Darryl Gregory, and otherwise hang out in the presence of lots of agents, editors, authors and fans. I had a great time.

I also, for what it’s worth, played several games. I liked Pathfinder a lot (a D&D clone, I think) and the Star Wars spaceship battle game (I c
Jess
Finally done! This book took me much longer to read than it should have. I wish I had DNF'd this when I first had the thought around the 30% mark but I read on as things picked up a bit and then I thought I might as well finish after making it through the majority of the book. It's not like it was spectacularly bad or anything drastic like that but Outriders turned out to be a boring slog, mainly because the writing was so dull and flat. I wish it had lived up to the premise - special ops in spa ...more
Sud666
Jul 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
An interesting tale that starts out with a novel idea. Capt Lincoln Suh dies on the very first sentence of the very first page of the very first chapter. That in and of itself would be nothing novel, many a character is killed off so that the rest of the book can be devoted to hunting down his killers or seeking answers. What makes this novel is that the main character of this story is Capt Suh.

The Outriders are a Tier One Special Missions Unit of the US Army. The team consists of 5 members, inc
Austin Zook
May 09, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
I'm throwing in the towel on this one. I've been trying to read it for over a week with no end in sight.

There is nothing wrong with this book on a superficial level--it's standard military sci-fi, with a plot that plays with interplanetary politics and special forces units and I came into this wanting to love every page. But I just couldn't bring myself to.

Posey isn't a bad author, and if you like the book, I get it, but the writing seemed slow for what I thought would be a pulp military sci-fi
Ron
Sep 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“No matter how far into space humanity got, it would never be far enough to escape its own nature.”

Excellent military science fiction. Better than average space opera; better than Tom Clancy; almost as good as John Scalzi. These characters--good, bad and other--have souls. Mission Impossible meets Starship Trooper but with a soul. Almost five stars.

“He couldn’t remember a time that he’d ever been glad he ignored his gut.”

Introspective main character who is often confused and conflicted without t
Janet
May 31, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this is a good start to the series, but I hope a lot more things get fleshed out in the future. Outriders is a pretty standard military sci-fi novel, the characters are pretty stock types, the wise-cracking merch, the nerdy tech girl, the tough as nails female sergeant, the will do what is right at all costs commander. Several of them get backstories, but few of them get actual personalities, which is an issue that I hope gets worked out. The plot is good, and Posey writes action pretty ...more
Inés Chamarro
Military sci-fi, well written. The author works in the videogame industry and it shows in the pace of the action. A bit more narrative or subplot would have been nice but i doubt this is the last we will see of the characters so I suspect the character development will be take place through the series.
J.D. Martin
Nov 16, 2018 rated it liked it
For this #FictionFriday, I'm diving into the realm of militaristic Science Fiction. I'll be honest with you, I have no idea how I came across this book originally. It's been on my to-read list since let's talk about September of 2016. But to paraphrase the feelings of many avid readers: There are so many books and so little time. On the plus side, I did finally get to it, but was the wait worth it? Today, I'm digging into Outriders by Jay Posey.

So, what's this book all about? For the majority of
Aiyana
Sep 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Solid. I picked it up at the library thinking it looked interesting, only to realize a few pages in that I'd read it before. Unfortunately, it's been some time since I read it, and I've pretty much forgotten it, which is why it gets 3 stars instead of 4. But from what I can recall, the other reviews describe it nicely.
Elisa
Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Solid military action, space adventure. I lagged a little in the middle but it finished strong. Looking forward to the next adventure!
GMCL Temecula
(Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for providing a Kindle ARC of this book for review. This review is identical to the one I posted at NetGalley.)

There's a shadowy organization trying to spark a war between Earth and the colonies on Mars, and both sets of governments have their hands tied. So it falls to the Outriders, an Earth-based covert military team, to uncover and stop the plot. Lincoln Suh is the Outriders' freshly-recruited leader, and has to gain their friendship and trust on the
Elaine Aldred
Apr 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
'Captain Lincoln Suh died on a Wednesday. And things only got harder from there.' says the first part of the blurb for Outriders. If that doesn't get your attention then nothing will. It also means I do not need to give my usual introduction to what the book is about, because it effectively describes the world Lincoln (or 'Link' as he will become known by his close-knit team) is about to enter, as well as the nature of the very special organisation, the Outriders, he will be working for.
This is
Heather Clawson
Jul 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
I thought Posey's book had some great narrative bones, incorporating enough futuristic tech to be interesting, as well as a realistic premise (the threat of war between two governments) to keep it relatable. What took me a while to figure out, was why I found the story so boring. And then eventually, it hit me. Other than a few paragraphs of exposition, not a single person in the whole damn book gets any backstory, AT ALL.

All the Outriders, while individually developed and clothed with distingui
Cloak88
Well written, but fairly standard near future military sci-fy.

Captain Lincoln Suh is the newby team leader of a 'hush, hush' very elite commando unit. And right of the bat he has to get in on the action when tension rises between the martian colonies and earth. Covert intelligence personnel and facilities are being hit and no one knows exactly what is going one. Enter Lincoln's 'applied intelligence' Outrider unit to find out what is what and save the day.

In all this is quite a well written nove
Scott Bell
Aug 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Not bad military sci-fi. The action sequences were rather bland and the characters never really elevated to the level of memorable. I felt like this small squad, for being such super-soldiers (the elite of the elite of the elite), were rather average. Posey didn't explain some basic motivations, like why the bad guys wanted to do what they did--or I missed the explanation while waiting for the main character to do something besides make or drink coffee.

A fun, quick read without a lot of depth.
Patrick Tomlinson
Oct 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Jay Posey's fourth book reads like a great session with your favorite FPS. Fast paced, kinetic action sequences, and witty characters. It does not feature any gratuitous space sex, however, which is kind of a downer. Still, this clear oversight does not distract enough to cost it a star.
Mike Maurer
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
I like military science fiction and seek it out. I also like current military stories and had many a relative in the US military. So it appeals.

The premise of _Outriders_ sounded great. A super secret special ops team tasked with doing protecting the realm, with little regard to rules, other than don’t get caught. The realm in this case is the United American Federation, basically countries of the North & South American continents.

The characters are kind of interesting, but usually have only
Igor Veloso
Aug 16, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sci fi fans
Shelves: sci-fi
Everyone knows by now Captain Lincoln Suh died right in the beginning of the book. Hell, it’s right on the cover. What you don’t know yet its what exactly the 519 Applied Intelligence Group do and how they operate. They operate exactly as you expect: silent, quick and, if necessary, deadly.
The political landscape evolves around high tensions between Earth and Mars.
Not making comparisons here, just imagine if The Expanse didn’t have the alien stuff. Just the political.

Reading this book felt like
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Katya's War (Russalka Chronicles, #2)
  • Master Sergeant: The Makaum War: Book One
  • The Circle of Thirteen
  • Trident's Forge (Children of a Dead Earth, #2)
  • Binary Storm
  • War Stories: New Military Science Fiction
  • Shattered Spear (The Lost Stars, #4)
  • Unseemly Science (The Fall of the Gas-Lit Empire #2)
  • Embedded
  • The Buried Life (Recoletta, #1)
  • The Red: First Light (The Red #1)
  • Drake (The Burned Man, #1)
  • The Exodus Towers (Dire Earth Cycle, #2)
  • Fixer
  • Chimera: A Jim Chapel Mission (Jim Chapel, #1)
  • Daylight
  • Antares Passage (Antares #2)
  • Chain of Command
Jay Posey is a professional typist with a face for radio and a voice for print. He’s the author of the Legends of the Duskwalker trilogy (novels, THREE, MORNINGSIDE FALL, and DAWNBREAKER), and the military science-fiction novel OUTRIDERS, all published by Angry Robot Books.

He's also Expert Narrative Designer at Ubisoft/Red Storm Entertainment, where he has spent over a decade contributing as a wr

Outriders (2 books)
  • Sungrazer (Outriders #2)