Start by marking “Art Out of Time: Unknown Comics Visionaries, 1900-1969” as Want to Read:
Art Out of Time: Unknown Comics Visionaries, 1900-1969

Art Out of Time: Unknown Comics Visionaries, 1900-1969

In five thematic sections, this anthology is a counter history of comics, containing nearly 30 undiscovered visionary American cartoonists from 1900-1969. These artists, including Harry Grant Dart, Milt Gross, Charles M. Payne, Harry Hershfield and Charles Forbell, foreshadowed and influenced the comics medium of today.
Published June 1st 2006 by Abrams

To ask other readers questions about Art Out of Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Art Out of Time

Steven Shane
Usually, I am exposed to the past in prose. It is tremendous to have a new way to travel back to the past. Also, visually delightful. Also, horrible racist stereotypes. Tangentially, I like tiny type. Finally, how much better would this book and everything be if Native, Asian and African Americans had been able to fully express themselves in the culture. Let's now boost all the beneficial details of the variety of people's expressions!
Gustav Gerät
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
very good book, I like it
B
Sep 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: westend, borrowed
Most of these are simply not interesting to read. This is especially true when many of the comics are not printed so that the writing is reasonable. Also some of the art is designed in a way so that the writing is hard to read even when zoomed in.

But a couple are real gems. . . . In particular, "Herbie." Wow, I would like to read more of that.

Not that my only problem is with the design of the comics . . . It's also not really clear why these comics are bound together and organized this way.

Maybe
Troy
Jan 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
An amazing collection of odd and forgotten comics - comics and comic book creators that should be household names (at least to those who are interested in comics). Two of the comics in here now thankfully have their own books: Fletcher Hanks: I Shall Destroy All the Civilized Planets and Rory Hayes: Where Demented Wented, but there's enough here for ten more books, all of which are worth your time if you love great (and in this case, pretty unusual) comics.
Rick
Oct 07, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, anthologies
A must have for all comic book historians and buffs, Art Out of Time: Unknown Comic Visionaries, 1900-1969 by Dan Nadel reprints cartoons and comics from forgotten artists. The book includes samples from the great Dick Briefer, Bob Powell, Ogden Whitney, and others. This incredible survey of previously lost art sits in its rightful place on my shelf beside the excellent A Smithsonian Book of Comic-Book Comics.
Peacegal
Dec 02, 2010 rated it liked it
This is a motley collection of comics whose memories have been lost to the sands of time. With so many artists, the results of course will vary in quality and interest. I personally liked “Little Lady Lovekins & Old Man Muffaroo,” an unusual, topsy-turvy comic that must be read both upside-down and right side-up to get the full story.

My only complaint is that some of the reprints of the comics were so small they were difficult to read.
Alexandra
Feb 18, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Oh man. This book is overdue to the library but I just can't let it go quite yet. The book contains rare and in many cases previously unseen comics artwork from the first half of the 20th century. I'm already an enormous fan of Herbie, Slim Jim and White Boy.

This may be the best book I read all year and it's only February.
Leonard Pierce
Sep 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Fantastic review of forgotten artists of the pre-modern era of comics by Dan Nadel. Despite the high-quality glossy paper, some of the detail's hard to make out, and there could be more biographical information to break up the pages, but those are small quibbles for what is one of the best collections of rare comics I've ever seen.
William
Oct 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic collection of nearly forgotten comics artists who were far ahead their time. Some of the most original ideas, fantastic designs, and sometimes downright bizarre situations in 20th century comics.
Jesse
Dec 10, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: him, us
This is the most exciting comics anthology I've ever seen. I typically make it about three panels in before an overwhelming, ecstatic druggy feeling forces me to put the book down. I could happily repeat this ritual every day forever.
Kenny
Dec 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
A great primer on (mostly) forgotten freaks and geniuses who were pushing the boundaries of the medium long before anyone even knew what those boundaries were
Matt
Sep 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Scrubbles.net book review, January 26, 2008 -

Mills College Library
741.5 A7848 2006
Nov 28, 2008 marked it as to-read
This book is amazing. I need to check it back out from the library in order to finish it.
Andrew
Aug 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Essential
kimberly
Mar 18, 2014 rated it liked it
descriptors: amazing. boring. racist. insane. gorgeous. poorly reproduced. incredible.

pretty much spans the gamut.

Bob Shaffer
Jul 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
A must read for those interested in the obscured history of cartooning. This is art that has otherwise disappeared, despite inspiring generations of sub/counter culture artists.
Tone
Jun 19, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
What might have been an interesting insight into comics past is harmed by the poor reproduction on some of the older reprints are so highly reduced that the text is unreadable.
Amelia
Nov 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
saw this at the library today, had to check it out, I love the T.E. Powers stuff. I can't put this book down!
Aug 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
I love seeing the beginnings of comics, considering what the graphic novel has become today. The artwork was inspiring and fun. Too bad there weren't any women artists included.
Regis Philbert
Charles Delwiche
Sep 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Maakies
  • I Shall Destroy All the Civilized Planets! (The Complete Works of Fletcher Hanks, #1)
  • Congress of the Animals
  • Nancy Is Happy: Complete Dailies, 1943–1945
  • Jack Kirby's Fourth World Omnibus, Vol. 3
  • Jack Cole and Plastic Man: Forms Stretched to Their Limits
  • The Squirrel Mother
  • Pogo: The Complete Syndicated Comic Strips, Vol. 1: Through the Wild Blue Wonder
  • Krazy and Ignatz, 1927-1928: Love Letters in Ancient Brick
  • Curses
  • Prison Pit, Vol. 2
  • Kings in Disguise: A Novel
  • The Boulevard of Broken Dreams
Dan Nadel is the owner of PictureBox, Inc. (http://www.pictureboxinc.com), a Grammy Award-winning publishing company.

Dan has authored books including Art Out of Time: Unknown Visionary Cartoonists, 1900-1969 and Art in Time: Unknown Comic Book Adventures, 1940-1980. He has edited books including Gary Panter, We All Die Alone, and Where Demented Wented: The Art and Comics of Rory Hayes.
He has also