Start by marking “The Last Summer of Us” as Want to Read:
The Last Summer of Us

The Last Summer of Us

Limpet, Steffan and Jared. Three best friends crammed into a clapped-out rust bucket of a car on a whirlwind road trip to forget their troubles and see out the end of the summer. But no matter how far they drive, they can’t escape the hidden secrets and slow-burning romance that could upset the balance of their friendship – perhaps forever.
Published May 1st 2015 by Usborne Publishing Ltd

To ask other readers questions about The Last Summer of Us, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Summer of Us

Start your review of The Last Summer of Us
L A i N E Y ~back in a bit~
We are not our histories, however deep they cut or however much they scar us. Whatever guilt we feel, rightly or wrongly, whatever baggage we carry, it is not all that we are.

Quite unsatisfactory. Considering the rather compact length (212 pages on my Kindle), the book felt so long and seemed to just went on and on. It also lacked interesting characters for me to cheer for.

Which was too bad really because the book sure has great message, like the one example above. But when you don't really
Warda
Aug 01, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
#BookTubeAthon Day 3, Book 2.
Challenge: Read a book about something you want to do.

Our characters are road-tripping!
And it was the most boring of road trips. And story. It started off okay, started dwindling as I read on then felt like it wasn’t going anywhere. Even though these characters are going on this road trip because they’re best friends and dealing with different types of losses. I just couldn’t connect to it.
Stacey (prettybooks)
I bought Maggie Harcourt's The Last Summer of Us during my trip to Topping & Company Booksellers in Bath. As it's a summery story about three best friends on a road trip, it seemed like the perfect choice for me on my own trip across the UK!

I picked The Last Summer of Us to be one of my summer reads – and got stuck in shortly before summer ended. The Last Summer of Us begins sadder than expected: Limpet (an affectionate nickname) is attending her mother's funeral and feels suffocated by grief, s
Sarah Churchill
A story of loss, regret and friendship cleverly disguised as a summer road trip filled with humour and future anecdotes. Harcourt has a real talent for balancing both sides of the coin seamlessly.

The Last Summer of Us covers some very serious and touching subjects; the death of a parent, alcoholism, theft, neglect, shame and responsibility, but more than that it’s about friendship – a true friendship that I found myself caring about more than I ever expected.

I don’t think I’ve ever read Welsh
Viola
Apr 24, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ugh this had such a good premise but it was just so boring. Everything felt off and I don‘t know why but the protagonists annoyed me so much. I‘m sorry but I hated reading this and I was so relieved and happy to finally finish it and put it away.
Hazel (Stay Bookish)
Visit Stay Bookish for more book reviews!

Do you know that feeling when you realize a book was meant for you to read? Well, The Last Summer of Us made me feel just that. Seriously, if Maggie Harcourt hadn’t already written this book, I would’ve had to eventually just because I needed this story in my life like yesterday. But she did write it– beautifully I might add– and I’m so glad.

It was impossible for The Last Summer of Us not to become my new favorite book. It just had so many aspects that I
Bridget
Jan 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A summer read for those who like their teenagers sensitive and with plenty of issues, but who are cheerful souls. This is the story of three friends who are on their last ever adventure together. They each have lots of things to deal with in their lives, but their fondness for each other is written so sensitively. This is funny and sad and sweet. The Eleanor and Park lovers will enjoy this.
Sophie
Feb 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: uk-author, 2015-debut
Originally published at: http://solittletimeforbooks.blogspot....

Summery road trip novels are a rarity in UKYA so I gobbled up The Last Summer of Us.

Set in a small town in Wales, Limpet, Jared and Steffan are going on a badly needed road trip. Everything has changed and it keeps on changing and they’re clinging to each other for security. All three are pretty messed up and all at the fault of their parents – you know that Philip Larkin poem, This Be the Verse:

“They fuck you up, your mum and dad
Ella Watson
Jan 04, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It is a very rare occurrence that I come across a book that I really don't get along with. It is also very rare that I feel an obligation to read a book for the sake of finishing it and getting a review published. Reading is something that I love to do, however during reading this book over the past few days, I have had to force myself to do it.
The characters were cliché, and in my opinion boring. I didn't like their relationships with each other. I thought that there was not enough contrast in
Amy
Jul 29, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-copy-only
I was excited to read The Last Summer of Us when Sarah Churchill featured it on her Youtube channel, she mentioned it was a debut set in North Wales and was written by a Welsh author. I had high hopes and expected a familiar setting and witty dialogue that I would instantly feel at home with, for the most part this didn't happen.

Limpet is attending her mothers funeral with her two best friends Jared and Stefan, instantly we know something is off about the trio. Limpet's family don't want her ar
Kath Lau
May 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
After reading two fantasy books in a row, I've decided to get some light contemporary book and I picked up The Last Summer Of Us. The story starts with the funeral of Limpet's mother and I was like "Okay? Should I continue reading this or not?". And I guess the answer is obvious.

Limpet (a nickname), Steffan and Jared are best friends and each of them are dealing with their own family problems. So when the idea of a road trip came up, they've packed their things and jump in Steffan's car. The jou
Kyra (Blog of a Bookaholic)
Jan 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of contemporary, road trips and friendships
Going into this book, I had no expectations, all I knew was that it sounded like the perfect read. It contained summer, friendship, secrets and road trips. Things that I am all very fond of (minus the secrets because that generally makes things go slightly pear-shaped, doesn't? Pesky things, secrets are) and although it had all the things I love I wasn't sure how I would feel - would I love it or have more than less affectionate feelings for it? I can honestly say, I didn't expect myself to laug ...more
Lucija The Reader
The Last Summer of Us is a story of three best friends. Each of them has family problems so they decide to go on a summer roadtrip. After all, it could be their last summer together.

Okay... if the word underwhelming was a book it would be this one. I'm sorry. I really wanted to like it, but I just couldn't. The first chapter started very well. I thought: "This is interesting already I'm going to love this book." Then came the second chapter where things started to get progressively worse.

I lik
Nele Verschoren
Apr 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-favourites
So many things I wanted to happen, I ached for to happen, happened all in the end.
This book was moving and so heart-wrenchingly real that it made my heart break and beat faster and swell all at the same time.
Maggie Harcourt really has a way of crafting her words so that the image just seeps into your brain like a movie (that’s the beauty about books, isn’t it?).
I really liked the little passages of Limpet’s roadtrip playlist scattered in between a few chapters and mostly seeing some of my fav
Sophia
Aug 23, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maggie Harcourt's writing style was really fun to read and the subtle humor was great!
The characters were built well and were easy to connect with and I must say their personal lives were the best part of the book. If everything the characters had gone through was not in the book I don't think I would have enjoyed it.
The grief the characters had to deal with throughout the book was heart-wrenching, which contrasted really well with the friendship the characters had, funny and light-hearted.
Hones
Kirsty
The Last Summer of Us is a brilliant contemporary read which I thoroughly enjoyed. I loved the summery feel of the story. I loved seeing the friendship between the three and the bittersweet feeling I got as I read it as you knew that this part of the three main characters lives was about to end.

I loved the story of the three friends as they embark on a road trip in a rusty old banger to give each of them time away from their different problems and to spend their last summer together. I really e
Beth Jones
Jan 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-books

There are two things I love a lot in YA – the first is road-trips, the other is romance. Another favourite is Unconventional by Maggie Harcourt, and I ordered this book as soon as I finished that one.

"He smells of beginnings."

I love the romance in this book. It’s so slow-burning that I didn’t know what was going to happen, and that was great. I love the anticipation of not knowing, and finding out what was going to happen at the very end.

"Beginnings set in
Zainab Ishaq
I was so excited to read this book as it was a summer read.

Three friends on a road trip. Sounds so exciting, isn't it ?
But it was not an exciting road trip at all.
Well story revolves around three friends Limpet, Jared and Steffan. All three of them have depressing backgrounds. Limpet's mother recently died due to drinking problem. Steffan's mother died of cancer. Well Jared's parents have done something dark too.

All three friends can not reveal their secrets to each other. They have some problem
Michelle
Aug 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those books that you just want to curl up with and read the afternoon away. Three friends and a banged out car, this book took me on a journey, of the characters and thinking back to my days when a road trip with your friends solved everything. Well formed characters, decent storyline and keeps you turning the pages. An ideal Sunday afternoon read.
Jessica (Jess Hearts Books)
DNF on page 88. Really bored, can't connect with the main character and am honestly finding the writing very basic. The whole thing lacks personality. Such a shame I was so looking forward to this! ...more
Sal
Beautifully written and a real heartthrob! So much fun, banter and wonderful characters in a glorious setting. Truly made me want to go go on a road trip myself!
Faye {Daydreaming_Star}
a decent enough read. didn't really grab me and I felt very little for the characters ...more
Adara
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I didn't want it to end ...more
Amy Roberts
Dec 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got this book as a gift for my birthday. I haven’t heard of it before so it was interesting to see what it was about. Just looking at the book cover I knew there was going to be some sort of road trip, and since I haven’t been on one before I was excited!

I loved the trio of friends Limpet, Steffan & Jared. They all have difficult lives and some heartbreaking ones too, and they all knew what each other was going through. And when they all decided they wanted to escape it all on a road trip for
Star Shine
Aug 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bookie
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good. Amazing Excellent. We all may have, at some point, used these set of adjectives to describe a book we may have liked, or even loved. But that's not what I'm going to do. Because to be honest, they simply aren't enough. This book didn't connect with me by just using words, it harnessed the reader's feelings - sometimes reeling them in or sometimes stretching them taut. Some may say that too many far-fetched elements were placed into a very short book - but hey, that's life! Life is short an ...more
Suzy Thomas
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely loved this book. Picked it up yesterday & have finished it before lunch today.

What a beautifully written book filled with such real, vivid characters. Limpet, Steffan & Jared, I simply adore them. What a beautiful friendship they share.

Can't wait to read more fro. Maggie Harcourt as I feel there is such depth to her writing. Here's but a snippet... "there'll be things you're glad you did, and things you wish you hadn't ... and both of those are okay, because you shouldn't let anythin
Katie Hurse
Mar 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars.
Love the special UKYA vibes here. So much summer atmosphere, loved the kind of failure of a road trip plot - lots of fun. I also really loved Steffan and 'Lim' as characters, Jared was a little more difficult to get along with.
I loved how focused the book was on parental relationships, particularly negative/difficult ones. There were some really moving moments in here too.
Not sure why there needed to be a romance, it made me groan a bit when I saw the hints of it. What's wrong with a b
Emma-Jane
Mar 26, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
Hmm. A bit meh. I really liked the style of writing and having grown up in a small market town in south wales so much resonated and I chuckled throughout. But despite these positives, nothing happens! I didn’t find it revelatory or touching or sad. The characters were nice enough but still. Nothing happened. A bit disappointing really.
Zuzana
May 12, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a lovely tale about the bonds of friendship, coping with grief after the loss of a loved one, about endings and new beginnings! Not the best book I have ever read, it seemed to lack a little bit more of the story and it felt unfinished! But it wasn't the too bad !! ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• It Only Happens in the Movies
  • Breathless
  • The Places I've Cried in Public
  • Am I Normal Yet? (The Spinster Club, #1)
  • The Extinction Trials (The Extinction Trials, #1)
  • The Map from Here to There (The Start of Me and You, #2)
  • ...And a Happy New Year? (The Spinster Club, #3.5)
  • Paper Avalanche
  • The Stolen Ones
  • Call It What You Want
  • After the Fire
  • Good Girl, Bad Blood (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, #2)
  • Soulmates
  • Between the Lies
  • All About Mia
  • Summer of No Regrets
  • Goodbye, Perfect
  • Birthday
Maggie Harcourt was born and raised in Wales, where she grew up dreaming of summer road trips and telling stories for a living. As well as studying Medieval Literature at UCL, Maggie has variously worked as a PA, a hotel chambermaid and for a French chef before realising her dreams and beginning to write full time.

She now lives just outside Bath, UK, where she can usually be found in a bookshop or