Start by marking “Olga” as Want to Read:
Olga

Olga

Magic weapons, white tigers, cat-faced moths and giants on motorcycles… OLGA is Ted Kelsey’s captivating first novel and features illustrations by the fine artist and illustrator, Dillon Samuelson.

When a mysterious figure is seen floating and dancing in the field near their house, Jack and Sally decide to investigate. This decision will lead them to an exciting place far
Published April 11th 2015

To ask other readers questions about Olga, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Olga

Evelina | AvalinahsBooks
This review is going to be problematic. Most of the time we just read books we like, or don’t like. Simple as that. But sometimes the issues are slightly bigger than us and our likes or dislikes . That tends to be the hard part of blogging.

You can check out the full review on my blog here.

First of all, the book’s not even bad. The writing is good, the story is good. Easy to read. So much so that I was going to have a giveaway on my blog. I mean, it's #kidlit. Kids’ books are meant to be sa
Rebecca McNutt
Olga is a sea of imagination, reminding me of Howl's Moving Castle in a vague way, and I loved the author's writing style.
latybug
Aug 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I received a free download of this book from Story Cartel, thank you!
I really enjoyed this book. It was a fun getaway into a fantasy land in the clouds. I like Sally, because she is a strong female character who is still willing to sacrifice for others.
The illustrations are well-done and help to create the mental image.
I think this would be an excellent read-aloud book in an elementary classroom, and I could easily see it being made into a movie. The ending certainly leaves an opening for a sequ
Anita
Aug 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an engaging fairy story written for the new age where girls can look after themselves and help the hero rather than wait to be rescued by them. Sally and Jack go on an adventure in the clouds, where Olga is the sad daughter of an evil cloud giant who has been plotting with his brothers to destroy the earth. This tale has magic and adventure, a real page turner that makes the reader think about its moral message, a story to be enjoyed by adolescents and adults. The charming illustrations ...more
La La - Everyone's Crazy Aunt
4.5 stars on the blog. This is a delightful Middle Grade retelling of Jack and the Beanstalk with an added heroine, Sally, who is just as brave (and many times braver) than Jack! The fairy cloudland citizens and beastsies were superbly described and varied. The descriptions of the giants and events at the feast table are stellar. MG age readers will learn some valuable lessons along the way, too. This would also make a wonderful chapter book for bedtime read alouds.

The author has sent the book i
Underground Book Reviews
TOP PICK!

Who would’ve thought a stuffed elephant could lead to so much adventure…and trouble? In his debut novel, Olga, Ted Kelsey takes readers on a captivating journey of friendship, fear, trust, and imagination.

After spying the bouncing animal from afar during the day, middle schoolers Jack and Sally decide to investigate it that night, only to get trapped by its magnetic force and pulled up into a world in the clouds. Caught in this fantasy world with no seeming escape, the two children meet
Sharon
Aug 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
What a charming little novel.

It is the summer before neighbors Jack and Sally start middle school and they have a bad case of, 'curiosity killed the cat', with predictable results when they explore Terror House. One might think it's a spooky story, but it is not. It *is* a fantasy adventure with a hint in the book of future adventures in this series/world.

If parents have advanced readers, they might consider that while this is supposedly for middle-schoolers, I would've enjoyed it in third grad
Kristine
Feb 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book from a Goodreads giveaway. Cute fantasy story about giants wanting to destroy humans. I enjoyed the characters. The descriptions of the giants was one of my favorite parts because each giant looked and smelled different there was plenty of details
Anne Martin
Aug 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: goodreads-arc
It's a tale for older children, maybe 10 or 11. Nicely written, it takes two kids around 12 on a trip in the clouds, where they discover another magical realm. Bad giants and small prisoners live there and the two kids will help and set them free.
I can believe it must be a sweet story for a kid.
Amy Biddle
Apr 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story was woven with as much care and imagination as the pictures that decorated the pages... what a beautiful, mystical, magical ride!
Indiebrag
We are proud to announce that OLGA by Ted Kelsey is a B.R.A.G.Medallion Honoree. This tells a reader that this book is well worth their time and money!
Emmy
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobook
4.50 stars, Overall
•audiobook•

Olga was a delightful listen about children, beanstalks, and multiple giants. It will be a fun book for adventure-seeking listeners who want a new spin of technology smart children discovering a world above the clouds, via a wonderful non-living elephant!

I found this book while searching for other books by Susan Murphy, who has a wonderful voice for children's books. I'm satisfied with her performance and decision to bring this book to life.

A few areas were slow,
Lynne M Hinkey
Feb 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Olga is a fun fantasy adventure story with hints of Jack and the Beanstalk, Alice in Wonderland, and Hansel and Gretl. Ted Kelsey gives a new twist and some modern updates to this new fairy tale, but still keeping all the traditional elements--mischievous children in search of adventure, scary beasts, and helpful creatures--that make the stories magical. I love that girls--Sally and Olga--play primary roles as hero and villain, respectively, and that it's Sally's bravery that really saves the da ...more
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
  • The Sword and the Lion
  • Tokyo Ghost #1
  • The Dragon, the Captain, the Mermaid, and Me
  • Beyond the Tempest Gate
  • The Road to Inconceivable (Abadazad, #1)
  • Sir Princess Petra (The Pen Pieyu Adventures #1)
  • Good Witch
  • Air: Merlin's Chalice (Children of Avalon, #1)
  • Song for a Scarlet Runner
  • Clemency Pogue: Fairy Killer (Clemency Pogue #1)
  • The Alchemists' Council (The Alchemists' Council #1)
  • Strange Little Girls
  • The Girl, the Dragon, and the Wild Magic (Rhianna, #1)
  • Night Birds' Reign (Dreamer's Cycle, #1)
  • Changer
  • Oddfellow's Orphanage
  • The Secret Prophecy
  • Among the Thorns
Ted Kelsey is a writer who lives in Peekskill, a city in New York's Hudson Valley.

He is the author of the fairytale fantasy OLGA, the 2016 Novel of the Year by the Underground Book Reviews, and SHASHA AND WALLY WATSON VS THE FAKER, awarded the Gold Seal for Excellence in Independent Fiction by AIA.

His work for young readers has been praised for its imagination, suspense and humor.

He has been a t