Start by marking “Day Boy” as Want to Read:
Day Boy

Day Boy

Mark is a Day Boy.

In a post-traumatic future the Masters—formerly human, now practically immortal—rule a world that bends to their will and a human population upon which they feed. Invincible by night, all but helpless by day, each relies on his Day Boy to serve and protect him.

Mark has been lucky in his Master: Dain has treated him well. But as he grows to manhood and his
Published June 24th 2015 by Text Publishing (first published 2015)

Start your review of Day Boy
Paula Weston
I’ve always been a fan of Trent Jamieson (as a writer and as a human being) and I knew Day Boy was going to be something special. It still blew me away, even with all that expectation.

The writing is sublime. Poetic and evocative.

Mark’s voice is perfect. The world building is entirely and brilliantly original. The plot - and its dark undertones - moves at a measured pace, inexorably towards a series of life-changing moments.

I love the Australian-ness of this book, and the fact it never once uses
Jason
Aug 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2015, e-books
5 Stars

Day Boy by Trent Jamieson deserves full marks from me simply due to the fact that this book made me rekindle some of my old love for the Vampire genre. I was already a fan of Jamieson as I love his Death Works trilogy but I am now cemented in as a full-time fan and will read anything he puts out.

In Day Boy we are dropped into a surely post apocalyptic world where The Masters (Vampires) now rule the world. Our protagonist Mark is a young adult known as a Day Boy. He serves his blood sucki
Melissa
Jun 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wow, just wow. This book took a turn I wasn't expecting at all. Beautiful writing! I hope there will be another book coming. I think I need another book with Mark in it. Loved it from start to finish! Trent Jamieson has a talent for writing full of life characters!
Marianne
Jun 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
“It’s bitter cold and a sky so clear that the stars burn. Breath streams from us, and no matter that we’re dressed warm, it’s still a shock, like jumping into water that’s colder than you expected. The moon’s a sliver in the sky, but everything is so clear. Land looms around us blue and hulking, drawing in and receding, and you suddenly get a sense of how big everything is and how little you are, but it’s still wonderful, because small and brief you’re still here and breathing plumes in the dark ...more
Alan Baxter
Jul 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I've been a fan of Trent Jamieson for a long time and I'm lucky enough to call him a friend, but even then I was dubious about this book. A vampire story. I'm so over vampire stories. But Jamieson has created something truly brilliant here. The writing is beautiful and powerful, an assurance of voice that's rare and hard to maintain, but he nails it. The mythology of the new world, post-some kind of apocalypse that's never fully explained, is rich and compelling. I have one question that still s ...more
Mandy
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
The world Jamieson creates is so interesting & filled with it's own history. There could easily be a series for each character & I found I wanted to know more about the different people & places. But there's only so much that can go in a single book, so I found myself always wanting. A dayboy as a main character makes sense, they can cross almost all worlds, but Mark I found boring. His parts are sometimes too slow & frustrating, which is why this is 4 instead of 5, but overall still a worthwhil ...more
Text Publishing
Apr 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, dystopia, fantasy
"...[V]ampires, like all good monsters, are something of a blank canvas. Meanings can be projected onto them. They can be monstrous, yet elegant. They can be the night refined or crude and hungry." Trent Jamieson, 25 June 2015, Readings Blog.

See Trent Jamieson project a slick new perspective of his own on these beguiling beasts.
Ian Mond
Oct 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
You can hear my thoughts about the novel on episode 46 of The Writer and the Critic podcast. ...more
Cass Moriarty
Jul 20, 2016 rated it really liked it

Okay, so I've stepped outside my comfort zone with this one...not a genre I would usually read, but I am so glad I did. The author of Day Boy is Trent Jamieson - yet another talented writer that Avid Reader Book Store seems to breed so well (must be something in the coffee...) Day Boy is set in a dystopian or post-apocalptic world where the Masters (immortals, and vampires of sorts, although so much more than that) are served by Day Boys (mere mortals, but offering a special kind of apprenticesh
Emma Darcy
Apr 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5

I loooooooved this book, and anyone who has listened to me whine about how boring vampires are will appreciate the kind of turn around me enjoying this book represents.

It's a little fantasy, a little sci fi, a little post apocalypse. I love that the Australia Jamieson imagines for the future feels very similar to the Australia of the past. I don't mean literally in terms of vampires, but in terms of the kinds of things have always hunted the edges of reality in Australia. The ancient monster
Thoraiya
Jul 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Sank its hooks in me so I had to stay up late to finish :) Beautiful writing. Just beautiful. And too many quotable lines to quote :)
Barry
Dec 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, fantasy, horror
Day Boy, whilst not being a contender for my book of the year has certainly become the frontrunner in 'most pleasant surprise' category of 2016 (a 'newly invented' category for my fictitious book awards but what the hell...).

A book about vampires aimed at the Young Adult market really isn't my thing and I have to say I wasn't looking forward to reading this one all that much but I was really pleasantly surprised. This is a very good book indeed.

I think Trent Jamieson has written something really
Deborah Ideiosepius
Jul 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes were done Dystopian or Supernatural
Recommended to Deborah by: Bec
An absolutely brilliant read, the more so for being completely unexpected.

Our leading character is Mark, who is a Day Boy for his Master Dain and as we follow hi around his daily tasks in a small, arid, vaguely Australian town we piece together the reality of his world: In this Dystopian future Vampires (the masters) have become the social cohesion that hold the world together. There is not much word really, a city or two a railway the 'Night Train' which brings necessaries and the majority of t
Mark Smith-briggs
Jun 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
In a market overloaded with vampire stories, Jamieson manages to find an original voice in a world I've not read before. A fantastic coming of age story with flashes of horror.
Inga
Jun 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Original, atmospheric, and beautifully written. Great characters. Can only think of Lindqvist's Let the Right One In to compare it to.
CrossCulture
Oct 21, 2019 rated it liked it
This was a very hard one to rate. It almost felt like a personal diary, especially because nothing much happened. And when something did happen, it was spoken about in vague feelings, or as a vague description of events. Mind you, it is also written in some sort of accent that is highly distracting, because it’s being overused. It messed with the flow and felt too forced.

A lot of it was vague, and even though it felt rushed, it led to nowhere really. It’s ironic, because that was what the story
Micah Horton hallett
Dec 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
A Highly original, elegantly and eloquently written piece of Australian horror. Jamieson's fascinating take on the vampire mythos is also a compelling insight into performative masculinity and the roll of violence in masculine hierarchies.
Felicity
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Language as rich as Death by Chocolate

The central pillars of this world are interesting; monsters of all kinds keeping the world going. But the writing is thick as golden syrup. Don't read it quickly, but do read it.
a.
Jul 04, 2019 rated it liked it
it was a good read with a really fresh concept, especially since the vampire genre is so oversaturated with mediocre books. a good twist and a sprinkle of horror. it's not quite for me though, but i would recommend it
S.B. Wright
Aug 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I recall Lisa L. Hannett writing about the Australian Gothic in Wide Open Fear, a piece for her column in This is Horror. Trent Jamieson is part of that cultural/ literary trend in Australian genre writing and his previous short works and his Death Works series make valuable contributions to a cohort of writers and writing that holds its own internationally.

Then comes Day Boy , which I think might be the finest book Trent Jamieson has written to date, and perhaps the finest articulation of Aust
Mel
May 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: australian
At the centre of Day Boy is Midfield, the kind of small town that I’ve passed through, but never lived in. I’ve never grown up in a place, feeling it to be home because it’s all I’m familiar with, the landscape of all my childhood memories, feeling its edges press against me as I grow too large for it, like an ill-fitting garment. Knowing that in order to be the fullest person that I can be, I need to leave. The sorrow and the conflict in this decision making. Day Boy is a coming-of-age story. I ...more
ReaderSP
Jul 27, 2016 rated it liked it
I don’t remember how I first discovered this book but once I did, I was hugely intrigued by the subject matter and started reading it as soon as it arrived in the post.

The story follows and is told from the point of view of a teenage boy, Mark. Mark is a Day Boy and has been in the service (and under the patronage) of his Master, Dain, since he was small. Mark’s job is to look after all of Dain’s needs and watch over him whilst he is asleep during the day and at his most vulnerable. Dain is lik
Emily Craven
Oct 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
I am normally not a vampire book kind of person, I find they fall into two camps, horribly vapid romances and the gore hour. I was pleasantly surprise by Day Boy though. At its heart is a father son relationship between the vampire Daine and his Day Boy, Mark. It's a brilliant and harsh apocalyptic world Jamieson has sketched here yet humanity has been able to adapt to it's situation. At times I found the boy, Mark's, behaviour perplexing and irrational, why would he ignore half the things said ...more
Clwedd
Jan 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is not another vampire story and it;s not another post-apocalypse book, but it's got both. Don't disregard because you've not seen this before. It doesn't even use the word vampire.
I love that it's firmly set in Australia, unapologetically although it never uses that word either.
Mark, the main character draws you in and keeps you there. His relationships as complicated and hidden beneath layers of backstory, some of which is explained, some is alluded to and other bits are left for you to
Kneel Purdy
Oct 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Some copy editing errors mar the book, which is otherwise very well done. A year after reading it, after putting down a few other books, with annoyance for wasting my time, I'm impressed by how well this one holds up. Everything works well about this. Except the copy editing.

Particularly good was the depiction of small town life in Australia. Even though things have changed considerably, well, plus ca change... Because I could feel the warmth of the evening air; I could smell the damn eucalyptu
Gary Kemble
Jul 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautiful, beautiful book. I'm generally not a fan of urbane vampires, instead preferring killing machines a la 30 Days of Night or Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan's The Strain Trilogy. But Jamieson does a brilliant job of capturing a world where the vampires are only urbane because they dominate a pretty much entirely subjugated population. And this book is as much a heart-rending coming-of-age story as it is a tale of the post-apocalypse. Day Boy Mark's tribulations will ring bell ...more
Maree Kimberley
Mar 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Many other reviewers have already expressed the admiration I have for this excellent novel. It's a vampire novel that's not about vampires. A post-apocalyptic novel that's not really post-apocalyptic. A horror novel marked more by empathy and sorrow than gore.

Evocative, gorgeous prose with sentences that capture emotion with a minimum of words, Day Boy is a wonderful read from start to finish that will completely change your mind about what a horror novel can be.

A fantastic book.
Jen
Aug 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
I thought i'd had my fill of Vampire fiction for the foreseeable future, until I'd read Jamieson's 'Day Boy'. The world he's created is so vivid and full of solid characters, that I was looking forward to a flow of spin-off books and movies before I'd even finished reading the novel. I'm crossing my fingers that there's plenty more on the horizon :)
Peter
Jul 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Its not just about vampires, but more about the protective relationship of Mark's master, Dain, and his Day Boy. This was a modern take on vampire stories set in the somewhat nearish future, the timeline is never quite explained, but it is set in the future.

The author is a Brisbane boy and there are many Australianisms to be found.
S.G.
Jul 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It's been a while since I read a novel. I've found it hard to sink into someone else's words, someone else's story. This is mainly because my mind is pretty scattered these days. I found myself hypnotised by the style, drawn in slowly but surely. This isn't really a vampire novel. It is, but it isn't. I've just finished, and all I can think is: wow. Just wow.

• Eggshell Skull
  • Everywhere I Look
  • A Hunger Like No Other (Immortals After Dark, #1)
  • Lovecraft Country
  • The Diary of Ellen Rimbauer: My Life at Rose Red
  • Warsworn  (Chronicles of the Warlands, #2)
  • Warlord  (Chronicles of the Warlands, #3)
  • The Weekend
  • Normal (Normal, #1-4)
  • The Lost Flowers of Alice Hart
  • The Death and Life of Schneider Wrack
  • The Incal
  • Psicomagia
  • Orcs (Orcs: First Blood, #1-3)
  • The Guyana Massacre
  • Throne of Jade (Temeraire, #2)
  • Mullumbimby
  • The Ceremonies
Trent Jamieson is a science fiction and fantasy writer.

Trent works as a teacher, a bookseller, and a writer, and has taught at Clarion South.